Need to Know: How much will the 2015 Redskins run?

Aug 25, 2015, 5:23 AM EDT

Here is what you need to know on this Tuesday, August 23, four days before the Washington Redskins play the Baltimore Ravens.

Question of the day

As I wrote about a few days ago, the Redskins plan to rely on the ground game to take as much pressure off of the quarterback, whether it’s Robert Griffin III or someone else, as possible. The idea is to set up more favorable down and distance situations, set up play action passes, and wear down the defense.

In order to move this plan from paper to the field, the Redskins made a number of personnel moves. They bolstered the offensive line with the acquisition of Brandon Scherff with the fifth overall pick. They took running back Matt Jones in the third, hoping that he will be a fresh, powerful set of legs to help out Alfred Morris. To put it all together the Redskins hired Bill Callahan to coach the offensive line and coordinate the running game.

They made some defensive free agent acquisitions as well and you can make the case that improving that side of the ball helps the running game as well. After all, you can’t run the ball consistently if the defense isn’t doing its part to keep the score close enough where the running game can be effective.

After that setup, let’s look at Randy’s question. It’s really two questions. How much can a given NFL team run the ball in the pass-happy league and how many rushing attempts are realistic for the 2015 Washington Redskins?

The most rushing attempts by a team in the last 10 season was 607 by the 2009 New York Jets. Rex Ryan was a rookie head coach and he had rookie quarterback Mark Sanchez behind center. Thomas Jones, 31 years old, led the team in rushing with 331 attempts for 1,402 yards. Also helping to carry the load on the ground were Shonn Greene (108/540) and Leon Washington (72/331).

The plan worked. Sanchez completed just 54 percent of his passes and threw 20 interceptions. But their running game and their defense, ranked first in the NFL in both yards and points allowed, pulled them to a winning record. They pulled off two road upsets in the playoffs before falling to the Colts in the AFC title game.

Their offensive line coach was a guy named Bill Callahan, by the way.

Can the Redskins copy that blueprint? As a point of reference, they ran the ball 401 times last year. So to run as often as the Jets did they would have to increase their rushing attempts by 50 percent. The 2008 Jets ran the ball just 422 times with Brett Favre at quarterback. So it is possible to shift gears to such an extent.

I will be surprised if they don’t end up running the ball around 500 times. I think they would like to approach 600 attempts but I don’t think they will have a good enough defense to be able to do it. The ’09 Jets had a solid unit with Darrelle Revis in his absolute prime at cornerback, and linebackers Thomas Pace and David Harris. They allowed 14.8 points per game making it possible for the Jets to stick with the running attack virtually all game, every game. I think the Redskins will be improved defensively but I don’t see them cutting their 27.4 points per game allowed just about in half.

So I think that 500 rushing attempts is very realistic for this team and 525-550 is possible if the defense really comes together.

Today’s schedule: Practice 11:45 a.m.; player availability and Jay Gruden news conference after practice (approx. 1:45)

—It’s been 237 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be 19 days until they play the Dolphins at FedEx Field.

Days until: Preseason Redskins @ Ravens 4; final cuts 11; Redskins @ Giants Thursday night 30

106 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. colorofmyskinz - Aug 25, 2015 at 6:05 AM

With Griffin on the field I hope they are really intent on running. Because our QB is either going to throw a ton of interceptions or take a ton of sacks or both. To say nothing of the countless fumbles made almost every game. Still not sure why people want more tape of an awkward QB given the ball up to the other team in lost yards or turn overs. But I guess that if the final stand if SNYDER and his era of micromanagement. Good luck with that, snyder.

Thank god we added jones and Thompson is looking to stay healthy and fast. Our line run blocking all added to MORRIS with an improved defense… We actually have a chance of masking our QB drama and holding a winning season.

Only in Washington does the worst QB on the roster keep his position for an entire year. Snyders world…

2. colorofmyskinz - Aug 25, 2015 at 6:10 AM

My only question: if at game 10 we are sitting 3-6 like the last 3 years, with 9 full games of pathetic tape of Griffin confirming everything we know, will we need 7 more games of that horrible tape, or will we cut our losses then and try to take a wild card with our other QBs?

• hk2000 - Aug 25, 2015 at 11:13 AM

MY only question to you, in 2012 when we were 3-6, did you want Griffin out as well? IT’S THE COACH, PEOPLE, IT’S THE COACH.

• Skulb - Aug 25, 2015 at 1:18 PM

This is very simplistic I think. In 2012 the team, and Griffin, played quite well in those six losses and could have won about three of them. This hasn´t exactly been the case for the last two years. Personally I don´t mind losses so much as I mind bad play. If we´re in the game till the end and people are doing a good job I´m fine. And they had done that at 3-6 in 2012.

• wvredskins - Aug 25, 2015 at 3:29 PM

And why is it the coach?! Give the man a chance. Changing Coaches is not the answer because all that does is bring a new system in and a start of rebuilding all over again. Im not saying Gruden is the answer and everything he did last year was perfect. He made mistakes and so dont every coach in the NFL. Winning cures everything.

3. sidepull - Aug 25, 2015 at 6:54 AM

I remember last year that if the opposing defense had no fear of the passing game thy just loaded up the box and shut down the run forcing the QB into a passing situation. They will try to do this again this year until the passing game is actually a consistant threat and Rg3 can show something different than last year. All I can do is hope the new additions are going to help in real games, not just preseason. Coach has got to let them run.

• Skulb - Aug 25, 2015 at 9:19 AM

This is what I´m worried about too. It´s too easy to counter a one dimensional game plan. And it´ll get easier every week as the tape compiles.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 25, 2015 at 11:09 AM

Those are the hard cold facts but at least there is hope the running game will perform better up against a loaded front. The only other point I like to make on this is that if the backs can get 4 or 5 yards on theses loaded fronts instead of 2 then it’ll aid the passing game as well.

• ET - Aug 25, 2015 at 11:33 AM

Those extra few rushing yards on 1st or 2nd down are key. If the QB is facing 3rd-and-short instead of 3rd-and-long, there are a lot more options available, regardless of who’s behind center. Then again, to keep run defenses on their toes, it sure does help to have a credible passer.

• bangkokben - Aug 25, 2015 at 11:24 AM

With DeSean Jackson, teams will load the box to their own peril.

4. colorofmyskinz - Aug 25, 2015 at 7:20 AM

Anyone with an update on Williams? Pretty scary if he does not make it back. This toe is sounding more and more like paulsons. What would we do, mover Scherff to LT and bring Zlong back to RG?

We know Smith is not an option.

• thankslittlebrandonbanks - Aug 25, 2015 at 8:03 AM

Maybe Moses at LT , Scherff at RT, and Long at RG. Possibly Compton in the mix too, but let’s just hope none of that is necessary.

• ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Aug 25, 2015 at 8:25 AM

Trent Williams resumed practice on Sunday, I haven’t heard of any relapse since?
      ~

• ET - Aug 25, 2015 at 10:57 AM

Williams was playing hurt for much of last season. The Skins are trying to take it slow with him this offseason and let him heal. A good decision, even if it makes fans anxious in the preseason.

5. gonavybeatarmy - Aug 25, 2015 at 8:40 AM

Nice perspective, Rich. And the good news is the run game has looked fairly effective with improved depth in the first two preseason games. Run the ball on 1st, 2nd and even 3rd and 3. It’s frustrating as hell as so many QBs in the league make it look so easy, but Griffin is just not capable at this point in his career of throwing from the pocket consistently on 3rd and 8+, and the OL is young and in development but will eventually grow under Callahan. So, getting in manageable 3rd down situations where there’s a legitimate threat to run would make the opposition’s defense play more honest. The Skins have a very good punter, so just run the hell out of the ball and punt if necessary which would limit Griffin’s propensity to take a sack and/or fumble on 3rd and long.

Of course, Gruden earned a reputation in Cincinnati for inexplicably vacating the run, which we at times watched last season. Fortunately, Callahan is now on staff and will be a voice of reason on the sideline.

6. troylok - Aug 25, 2015 at 8:48 AM

Gruden won’t call 600 running plays unless Callahan ties him up, gags him, and starts calling the offense.

• gonavybeatarmy - Aug 25, 2015 at 9:07 AM

Perhaps we’ll see Callahan pull a Buddy Ryan on Kevin Gilbride this season.

• troylok - Aug 25, 2015 at 10:24 AM

LOL. There were times last season when I wished to be standing alongside Gruden where I could do that very thing.

• wncskinsfan - Aug 25, 2015 at 5:52 PM

pretty sure that Scot M is working to develop the Oline and the run game for the reason that is obvious, our QB play is a big question mark. Even with good QB play a strong run game is certainly helpful. At the moment, barring a miracle (or the greatest act of pre-season smoke and mirrors we have ever seen) our 1st string pass game is not solid. If Gruden insists on being pass happy to no success, and ignores the run game, I am sure that Scot M would can him, put Callahan in charge or whatever. The run game appears to be the game plan. If the head coach can’t adhere to the plan, fire his ass.

7. Skulb - Aug 25, 2015 at 9:06 AM

Comparing a rookie QB to a fourth year QB is lame enough here. But I´m not sure the defense is up to this task right now and the offensive line probably isn´t either. Why take this tortuous and uncertain road when you actually have better suited QBs on the roster?

• 214hof - Aug 25, 2015 at 9:35 AM

All though I’m all for starting someone other then Bob. I don’t see it happening until he either falls flat on his face for a few weeks in a row, or gets injured. That being said I don’t think it will be that long before Kirk or McCoy gets a shot. Maybe week 3 or 4? I’m sick of these Griffin “protectors” in everyone of the comments sections. You cannot be that blind, not even talking about the lions game either, it goes back way farther than that. The starting offense is only as effective as the starting QB, say what you want about this or that, but if Griffin PLAYS better the offense LOOKS better end of story. I have no doubt in my mind that if you put Kirk (or McCoy) in at qb with the ones, it would be a drastic improvement (which isn’t saying much because a few first downs and a punt would be a “drastic improvement”). And I’m not at all saying they are the answer or the franchise qb. I’ve just had enough of watching Bob do nothing and people still saying he needs more time to develop or we don’t know if he’s are franchise yet… Lol give me a break, it’s year four, if you don’t know yet Bob is NOT the answer. The only thing Bob has given us is a headache. Start the “division winner” rebuttal now lol

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 25, 2015 at 10:00 AM

You mention a few first downs would make a difference then acknowledge the dropped pass by Roberts as RG3 took a huge hit by the LB blitzing unabated? That would have been a first down.

Man you bunch of whiners can’t evaluate or assess what goes on even from a single offense play.

• 214hof - Aug 25, 2015 at 10:11 AM

Dropped passes happen, even if they’re perfectly placed balls with no defender within 5 yards. Pretty pathetic that you have to use a dropped ball as and excuse for why Griffin is unable to get a first down lol. There is a reason he only has 16 snaps in two games in the preseason, he can’t move the chains to save his life! But keep beating that drum buddy. I forgot Bob is the best QB on this team… And NFL.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 25, 2015 at 10:47 AM

That dropped pass was a drive killer and when you only play 4 series that amounts to one forth an opportunity loss because a starting WR couldn’t pull a ball in that hit him in the hands. The fact you discount the importance when just before that you indicated a few completions or 1st downs would have made a huge difference. Shows a complete contradiction between your two comments.

I’m fine with criticism on RG3 and probably would agree but the denial of the other factors to his performance under constant duress shows no balance to you conclusions about RG3. It’s clear you made up your mind without all the facts.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Aug 25, 2015 at 10:50 AM

Pro Football Focus’s Signature Stats Accuracy stat (which accounts for dropped passes being the WR’s fault which it is) has RG3 the most accurate passer of our 3 QBs. RG3 is also the most Blitzed of the 3. The Coach needs to call plays to slow down that pass rush

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 25, 2015 at 10:59 AM

Good facts there Tim on both areas. However watching the games closely does it surprise you?

• hk2000 - Aug 25, 2015 at 11:28 AM

Don’t waste your breath Tim, the crowd in here made up their minds and went deaf dumb and blind, so did the coach as well.

• 214hof - Aug 25, 2015 at 12:27 PM

@Tim

If your going to bring up how “accurate” Bob in comparison to the other two. Why don’t you go by passes 10+ yards, I bet you find he is most definitely not. How about red zone efficiency when he is in the game? Of course you’d have to discount the 2012 season because it would scue the numbers (which you probably didn’t the first time) and we all know Bob isn’t going to produce those kind of numbers again.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Aug 25, 2015 at 1:40 PM

Those stats are actually this year’s preseason stats.

I don’t pick and choose like you you can’t dismiss 2012 and just count 2013&2014. All the plays that kid made count. And you are dismissing a guy over 2 bad years dealing with injuries with a bad oline. How brilliant are you? Lol

• 214hof - Aug 25, 2015 at 3:01 PM

I recall J.Russell going 7 games without throwing a pick his sophomore season… Does that mean he warrants 4 or 5 years of development? No because it’s useless, you can see he just doesn’t have it.

• 214hof - Aug 25, 2015 at 3:19 PM

How brilliant am I? Are you taking a shot at my intelligence because I don’t conform to your opinions? Lol. you’re too much man. You sir have all the right inthe world to believe in Bob, but questioning someone’s intelligence because their view is different? There is something wrong with you. BTW, the Skins’ on line was just fine when Bob wasn’t playing… Wonder why?

• wncskinsfan - Aug 25, 2015 at 6:04 PM

I agree. His development is taking to long, and has been peppered with injury. It is ruining the team, as well as the fan experience. It shows on these boards with all the negativity. We lost RGIII the first year to injury, blame it on him, blame it on Shanny, blame it on Snyder, blame it on coming from a spread offense with no playbook, blame it on the stars . . . whatever. We lost him. We got a different guy on the field the following season. Anymore (and for quite some time now) he is a threat to himself on the field, either not sliding or not having enough pocket awareness to avoid so many of the sacks/hits. And then when he does get hit its like throwing a frog in fan blades. gruesome. I worry for the kid. He seems like a good person, certainly a young person with lots of potential . . . but at this rate I am concerned that he is going to get severely injured in the NFL . . . and I would rather not see this. I really don’t think that he will “succeed in some other system” either. The man has the same coaches, the same playbook, the same plays, better ist team players to work with, and has shown us no growth for a long time. hopefully they end the experiment before a 350 lb man breaks him. That will be a sad day.

• wncskinsfan - Aug 25, 2015 at 6:05 PM

concurring with @214hof

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 25, 2015 at 9:41 AM

Because there isn’t better QB options.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 25, 2015 at 9:50 AM

its Griffin Protectors against the fickle foolishness of the other side who somehow think they have a niche on the better QB over coaches even when this fickle bunch hasn’t seen the practices or done the film work. Preseason is enough for these talented football mind to draw a definitive conclusion . Give me a break!

• 214hof - Aug 25, 2015 at 10:05 AM

Anybody is better then Griffin. How do you not see that. Take him of the pedestal you have put him on after the 2012 season. Tress Way could probably QB the team more efficiently then Bob.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Aug 25, 2015 at 10:35 AM

Why do you call him Bob Instead of Robert which is what he goes by?

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 25, 2015 at 10:36 AM

I don’t see that because I know better. I know it’s preseason where RG3 is playing fewer downs against first team starters with a rookie right side. My evaluation is balanced since I’ve mentioned plays he could have better avoided pressure and a sack. Do you discuss anything other than negativity on this one guy?

Because I know better that if this QB finds a comfort in the pocket like he does in play action he’ll be among the most accurate QBs in the NFL. A strong accurate arm is hard to find.

Because I know better about how injury like what he has had delays his development. Say what you want about his ability to stay heathy and I’ll probably agree.

Because I know better about the impact on a QBs development when there is a coaching and especially a move to a rookie coach who has his own leadership issues.

Because I knew RG3 coming in would take time developing in the pocket with no experience playing a pro set offense.

Maybe RG3 will fail but I know better to not rush to judgement. Aaron Rogers didn’t get his first chance as a starter until his 4th season right where RG3 is now. Rogers was actually forced to go through a QB school after his rookie season and GB knew he needed work and time. Fans here seemed to have no clue that player development in this position takes time and the transition can be painful. RG3 is our best chance in finding our version of Aaron Rogers.

• 214hof - Aug 25, 2015 at 12:19 PM

I call him Bob, because RGIII is dead. RG3&out is here to stay, would you like me to refer to him as that?

And I’m not even going to lie, I did not read you long winded explanation about why you feel that Bob as been poorly handled or what have you. Bottem line is Bob is just not where here should be 4 years in, even 3 years in if you want to discount year one. I can’t wrap my head around the fact that this guy cannot run even a basic offense. You say I’m discounting the injury set backs or coaching, drop balls… It laughable. Did you not watch any games in 2013? He got benched for a reason… Ohh um my bad “deactivated”. Your rebuttal… He was coming off an injury? First year in the pocket? What about last year? First year HC? New system? Coming off injury? You Bob protectors are all the same. SMH.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 25, 2015 at 12:27 PM

Sorry I just think you have no idea how to evaluate quarterbacks nor can you identify adversity.

You’re just a fickle fan always looking for the next starting QB!

• 214hof - Aug 25, 2015 at 12:44 PM

We will have to take the wait a see approach. Bob will crumble, and you will find something to blame it on.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Aug 25, 2015 at 1:44 PM

So you’re using the name Bob as a slight against the guy how childish are you

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 25, 2015 at 1:49 PM

If RG3 fails then I’ll look for no excuses. As long as he gets the opportunity to play this season.

Knowing when a franchise QB is not going to work is not the simple analysis you portray it as.

• gasngo14 - Aug 25, 2015 at 5:55 PM

What i find funny is how the RG3 protectors can say Bob needs this and needs that and constantly blame others for his POOR play..but trash the other two QB’s on this team who have in fact lead our team much better…..

Good players make other players around them better, Great QB’s make average players good ….can we say this for RG3 ?

• TheHogs - Aug 25, 2015 at 10:29 AM

And what certainty do you have that there are better suited QBs on the roster, Skulb?

• Skulb - Aug 25, 2015 at 5:32 PM

Just Griffin´s awful performances for a while now. In the last game you could literally have replaced him with a tackling dummy and barely been able to notice it stat wise. A lucky bounce of a snap off the dummy might have equaled Griffin´s positive yardage. That´s how poor the offense was with him in it. Harder to sack the dummy too so all in all it´s win win.

Seriously though, and to spell out the obvious, I just don´t accept that Griffin has earned a starting spot on this team. He´s just been proclaimed the starter without any performances to back it up. And so far he looks like by far the worst QB on the team, as he did last year.

• TheHogs - Aug 25, 2015 at 8:39 PM

Skulb wrote: “Just Griffin´s awful performances for a while now.”

No. In order to answer the question I asked, you needed to demonstrate sufficient and valid evidence of the other Redskins QBs performing better than Griffin, for what I asked directly warrants a *comparison*. You failed to do this. Simply showing that Griffin hasn’t performed well does not back up your claim. (And, by the way, neither does going into detail about a meaningless preseason game in which Griffin had 10 or so dropbacks.)

It seems that I can be a much better Griffin critic than you are.

• Skulb - Aug 26, 2015 at 3:06 PM

@TheHogs

Alright man, I don´t normally go on logic rants here but you´re asking for it:

When did I at any point say that I am basing my opinion on “a meaningless preseason game”? This is a strawman argument (Look it up. It´s a common logical fallacy). My actual opinion is that he has been bad for a year and change without any interruption. The stats prove that he is the weakest QB on the team right now, and that´s what I am basing my opinions on. That and his inability to move in the pocket (or indeed anywhere) to extend plays or to competently find open receivers. Both McCoy and Cousins are regularly able to do those things. Ergo they should start. My example with a tackling dummy was a joke. But it´s not far from the truth.

8. 226thebeatdontstop - Aug 25, 2015 at 9:32 AM

This isn’t nuclear physics. The Redskins brain thrust is inept at times. The model to follow is how the Steelers rode the BUS Rothlesbergers rookie season and his second year….They just gave him the ball 25 times a game,relied on screens ,rollouts,quick slants..

The key is committing to the run an not panic which Gruden does if initially the ground game isn’t working… RG3 may or may not workout but Cousins lovers beware of fools gold because when teams have time to game plan for him the Redskin season will be over before it starts…

• wncskinsfan - Aug 25, 2015 at 6:11 PM

its the same problem with Griffin. blast the pocket. take out the first read. you win.

• wncskinsfan - Aug 25, 2015 at 6:13 PM

I honestly believe that a true starting QB competition would have made both better. why that didn’t happen, who knows . . .ego for selling the farm to get one guy, likely.

9. redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 25, 2015 at 9:37 AM

Great article

I like what has been shown out of running game in preseason. However as good as it looks too many times those same results fail to materialize in regular season. My stock is high on all three major contributors (Morris, Jones, Thompson). I also think Trey Williams would be a nice fit in read option plays along with other option plays like draws. The running game probably won’t dominate but talent wise, the RBs could match that Jets RB unit. Too many questions on the right side line to feel optimistic about run blocking. I love the size, potential, and what is most important taking running duties away from Gruden who has a poor history in putting together run games.

The question comes down to how the TE situation will work out which looks to be a seriously weak blocking group. If we use Compton outside of the red zone then it gives defenses the edge on what to anticipate. No defense is going to se Compton as a receiving threat.

• bangkokben - Aug 25, 2015 at 10:56 AM

“If we use Compton outside of the red zone…”

Yes and no. Rich already established the game plan. Teams know that or will know that by the time they play the Redskins. 3rd and two and Compton lines up as a tight-end, I-formation with Young and Jones. To us it looks like a run, but the Redskins wouldn’t be the first team to show this look. Many times the tight-end stays in to block on a pass play. In this scenario, Compton stays in, DJax goes deep, Garcon runs a medium route across the middle, it’s play action to the full-back and Jones runs into the flat. You have seven pass blockers (Compton and Young plus the line) and three receivers. This and plays similar to this are standard. The only difference is having Compton block instead of Paulson. Sure, whomever is assigned to cover the tight-end now is more likely to rush but let’s not kid ourselves Logan had a handful of catches last year. Throw Compton a bone every three games.

• ET - Aug 25, 2015 at 11:11 AM

Sending a few receiving plays Compton’s way will help keep the opposition guessing, even though we all know what he’s there for. (I want Tom Compton to score at least one TD this season.)

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 25, 2015 at 11:19 AM

All sounds great but we’ll see how that works out on the field. There is no denying defenses will see the fact it is one less receiver and one more lineman. A Jumbo like package and The defense adjustment won’t be just who is in front of Compton.

Personally I’m not a fan of it but if the offense can work out some successful long passes then it make the alignment significantly more difficult in stopping the run

• ET - Aug 25, 2015 at 1:03 PM

In the ideal world, we’d have Paul, Paulsen and Reed healthy and ready to go—or perhaps even an upgrade to take Paulsen’s spot. We ain’t in that world. In the abstract, I’m not a huge fan of it either. I’d rather have a crack TE corps, or as close to it as Scot can manage this year. The injuries in the position group dictate otherwise. So I want to see Compton utilized as effectively as possible.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 25, 2015 at 1:54 PM

There was a time you could pull a good blocking TE from FA anytime. It’s ironic how spread offenses have altered this dynamic

• kenlinkins - Aug 25, 2015 at 1:16 PM

I still have some concerns about the running game. The first string has run the ball about 15 times and 9 of those times the Redskins gained 3 or less yards. That’s over 60% of the time they failed to break the 3 yard mark. That should have Redskins fans concerned for a team that is planning to use the run more as their “main stay” offense. I believe the O-line will get better and the rushing will improve as do most Redskins fans, but then why not think that the O-Line improvement will also help RG3? As someone who didn’t like the RG3 deal, I can not believe that if the sole problem with the Redskins improving is RG3 at QB, then why hasn’t the new GM or HC or position coach’s, or even one of the locker room leaders being leaking this to reporters? The last few years RG3 could not fart without some reporter writing about it. If the owner is the sole reason that RG3 has not been removed as QB don’t you think that someone of the above list would be leaking it by now? The locker room still seems to be pretty solid (i.e. no RG3 noise other than his own) and we have not yet seen any leaks about “Cousins or McCoy is getting a raw deal, which IMO should tell you that all listed above seem to understand just what is happening at the QB position. Time will tell if RG3 can really become a pocket passer but right now the “Team” still seems to have faith or at least are willing to let it play out! Besides, how many Redskins fans can say that they “miss” the leaks? (I know I don’t).

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 25, 2015 at 2:31 PM

Ken, as usual you have some solid points. I think the situation about the running game will be better assessed this Saturday. The difficult thing about looking at the running game is typically it’s an area that takes time in a game to get going. There are legitimate concerns about how Much the running game has improved if any. I at best think it’s somewhere in between the first team performance and the latter groups.

As for media charter I take the validity of all stories with reporting on the emotions of players with a grain of salt. I think that players are smarter than some of these fans and will reserve judgement on RG3 based on how the regular season plays out.

• gasngo14 - Aug 25, 2015 at 6:42 PM

Ken when the win and losses count and the losses start piling up the leaks will be coming so call the plumber…..is Kirk or McCoy a plumber?………..Hmm

• wvredskins - Aug 26, 2015 at 1:17 AM

I agree ken. I mean look at all the Qbs in the league that are quality Qbs who hve struggled in the 2nd PRESEASON game and it hasn’t been a big deal but with rg it seems like it’s the end of him with the media and some fans. You cannot base one qrt of bad play from rg and more the line. You just can’t do it. Andy dalton, cam newton, Russell Wilson, and 2 time super winning Eli manning struggle
        In thier 2nd preseason game and you don’t see the attention towards them like it is towards rg. I’m not saying he is going to be good this year and I believe this is a make it or break year for him and the 1st 4 games are extremely important for him. We as fans have to be patient and let this all play out.

• bangkokben - Aug 26, 2015 at 9:40 AM

Nick Foles and Joe Flacco had horrible games as well. The problem isn’t one bad game though, it’s the bad game after the poor choice of words after being given the starting job after a QB competition was declared, after a poor season. If this is year one we’re hearing how much we wasted in draft picks but it’s a rumble in the background by those opposed to the trade. On the flip side, nothing is being made of Scherff being handed A job. Spencer Long has clearly played better against the twos than Scherff against the ones AND Scherff is getting a lot less work. Sound like something familiar? If he struggles this year and the same can be seen next preseason. There will be more than just me making note of it.

10. berniebernard666 - Aug 25, 2015 at 9:45 AM

The voice of reason here. Griffin is over. Oh yea I know he is named the starter, but this is his final year as a Redskin. I have no idea how anyone can miss this because it is so obvious that he cannot play without getting injured and when he does play he cannot read defenses, he panics in the pocket, and he is fumbles.

So Griffin fans, enjoy this weekend preseason disaster vs Baltimore and the few games he manages to stay healthy this season. Personally I am sick because I have to look forward to that top 5 draft pick next April….but at least the Redskins will be able to start over with a young franchise QB.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 25, 2015 at 10:51 AM

You’re funny! I

• bangkokben - Aug 25, 2015 at 10:59 AM

Top five picks are for guards! ;p

• jonevans511 - Aug 25, 2015 at 11:09 AM

You make it seem like it’s a guarantee we’ll find a “young franchise QB” in next year’s draft….. I’m not a Griffin supporter or hater (I hate that word but couldn’t think of a better one), just a Skins diehard. I don’t care who our signal caller ends up being long-term as long as they help us win games. But to act like RGIII leaving town will somehow magically result in us finding our guy going forward is short-sighted and, frankly, disingenuous. Some teams (like us) spend DECADES hunting for their guy at QB, and others find guys every couple years (like us) who are “supposed” to be the savior and up fizzling out. It’s MUCH more likely you will strike out on a franchise QB than find one, so let’s temper our expectations relative to that position. Can we solidify our O-Line, strengthen our run game & defense, and become a competitive team without a true stud QB? Absolutely. Is it difficult? Sure is, but look at how many teams have been able to do just that. Some think the Flacco’s of the world are elite, some don’t, but the bottom line is the Ravens have a SB win in the recent past because they fielded a fantastic Defense and Special Teams, a stout run game, and a competent QB who made plays when needed. Despite what the media would have you believe, there are several ways to run a successful team and we have pieces in place to do so. I like the fact you want to find the franchise QB of the future, and I’m right there with you, but please temper your expectations because this is EXACTLY what happened in 2012. We “had our guy”, until we no longer did. Now? Right back where we were unless/until RGIII develops.

11. Trey Gregory - Aug 25, 2015 at 10:44 AM

Let’s hope the defense comes together. Because, I don’t care who is at QB. If the defense doesn’t play well, we’re screwed. You could almost say the same thing about the OLine, but the running game should help there a lot if we can implement it the way everyone wants to.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 25, 2015 at 10:53 AM

Now here is the voice of reason

• jonevans511 - Aug 25, 2015 at 11:13 AM

Absolutely agree Trey, and said something similar in response to bernie above. Just with much more words than you, who made a good point without going on and on lol.

12. goback2rfk - Aug 25, 2015 at 11:11 AM

The running game is going to struggle or be average at best. Its not like we have Emmit Smith back there.
    The O-line looks ok but certainly not Dallas Cowboy material.
    I do not see how the Redskins will win more than 6 games this year.

13. goback2rfk - Aug 25, 2015 at 11:14 AM

You can not run the ball all the time and win in this league. It is called a passing league for a reason. Running the ball does not work so well during the 2 minute drill which the Redskins are notorious at the 2 minute.

• bangkokben - Aug 25, 2015 at 11:46 AM

Wait just a cotton pickin’ minute. There is evidence of teams running and winning. Recent evidence. There’s a blueprint to be successful this season. It may be called a passing league but that doesn’t mean you have conform to that image (Kirk Cousins throwing a million passes against the Giants – some of them intercepted). What do the Redskins have to do to be successful in 2015? The answer is simple. Run the snot out of the football, protect the quarterback, and play stout defense. It may be a formula only appreciated in Chicago but it is this year’s formula. Is it going to get us in the Super Bowl? Probably not. Is it next year’s formula, who knows? But there is one thing that this team has that that NYJ team didn’t have – DeSean Jackson to blow the top off the defense.

• goback2rfk - Aug 25, 2015 at 12:07 PM

The problem is I do not think the Redskins defense will play well enough for us to run the snot out of the football. Running heavy only works with a stout defense and I do not think we are that stout. I think the defense is very average. Probably ranked like 16th next year.

• bangkokben - Aug 25, 2015 at 12:25 PM

It will take awhile for both O-line and defense to gel. Both are better options than letting our QBs sling it 40 times a game. When Giffin “left” the game, it was 3-0 going on 10-0 in the second qtr. Plenty of time to stick to the plan. Many times a regular season game starts 10-0 only for the team with zero to win. I’m not saying it’s probable based on the small sample size but I’m saying it is quite plausible with Jackson and Williams playing.

14. timwillhidetimwillhide - Aug 25, 2015 at 1:13 PM

Looks like I’m not the only one who thinks that there is something up with Grudens play calling. The Media is starting to ask if Gruden is setting RG3 up to fail. There’s a video on CSN asking that exact question

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 25, 2015 at 2:03 PM

Gatlin first reported this thought. While I don’t agree and think the adjustment came to avoid another QB injury, the thought has taken root in the media.

Gruden didn’t help by stating it doesn’t matter if he gets hit one or ten times he needs the work. No doubt Gruden is less concerned about RG3s health than most coaches but I don’t see intent on failure as much as forcing success at all cause. I believe Gruden is a horrible coach but he’s not dumb enough to risk his career to go to such extremes

• wncskinsfan - Aug 25, 2015 at 6:41 PM

of course the media is, clicks equal cash.

15. bangkokben - Aug 25, 2015 at 4:50 PM

The shenanigans that Gruden left Griffin out there too long, is sabotaging Griffin, and calling a different offense is straight up DONK-u-lous. The notion is beyond ridicule. There is no benefit to running the read-option with Griffin in the preseason. Griffin can run the read-option in his sleep. No team needs to see if THREE has got his burst back or has ‘fast for a QB’ speed. The only ‘benefit’ would be for the fans peace of mind. I use quotes because that isn’t a benefit at all. Griffin supporters are terrified that he won’t be starting the season and that he’s not getting a fair deal in ‘competing’ for the starting job. He ISN’T competing for the starting job. He just is the starter. Griffin detractors think THAT is unfair. Redskin fans have by and large been reduced to a bunch of entitled 5th graders screaming on a playground: “NOT FAIR!” I’ve got things that I’m upset with Gruden like why haven’t we gone for two at all in the preseason? Hopefully we can change the conversation about other things than the QB.

• wncskinsfan - Aug 25, 2015 at 6:21 PM

no doubt, the constant media fracas looking for any little bit of controversy to get a click, and the amazing negativity of the fan base over some conspiracy or another is killing the fan experience. I will, as always, watch and cheer for our guys every game, but here’s to hoping that this is the lowest point that we as fans will have to deal with in a while. all the conspiracies are simply ridiculous.

• ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Aug 25, 2015 at 7:03 PM

Fan, after all, is short for “fanatic.”
      ~

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Aug 25, 2015 at 7:04 PM

Why is he calling 2 different offenses? Why not at the least call Max Protect when he sees the defense is Teeing Off on him and the Oline is getting obliterated?

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Aug 25, 2015 at 7:11 PM

Im just questioning why? I haven’t accused him of anything. I would like to know why he is calling 2 different offenses? Whats the benefit for doing this? Why isn’t he calling plays to slow the pass rush. Colt and Cousins 1st play was a play action to slow the rush. He then mixed numerous bootlegs, play action, read option, runs, shotgun with the straight drop backs to slow the rush and keep the Defense off balance. With RG3 we’ve seen Mostly straight drop backs while the guy is getting bum rushed. Why?

• bangkokben - Aug 25, 2015 at 7:24 PM

Tim, I understand the emotion. It feels like a different offense but it isn’t. The only thing the Gruden didn’t do with Griffin is the read option. He called a bootleg in the Cleveland game. He called two play actions against Detroit – one on first down and another on 2 an 12 which resulted in a sack.

Colt’s first three plays with the twos were hand-offs – two of which were 20-yard runs. That sets up the other stuff.

Here is McCoy’s first drive:
        1st and 10 at WSH 20 (7:31) T.Compton reported in as eligible. M.Jones right guard to WAS 44 for 24 yards (J.Bynes).
        1st and 10 at WSH 44 (6:54) C.Thompson right tackle to WAS 46 for 2 yards (G.Wright).
        2nd and 8 at WSH 46 (6:12) C.Thompson right guard pushed ob at DET 35 for 19 yards (N.Lawson).
        1st and 10 at DET 35 (5:43) C.McCoy pass short right to R.Bell to DET 22 for 13 yards (N.Lawson).
        1st and 10 at DET 22 (5:05) M.Jones right end to DET 21 for 1 yard (J.Worthy; K.Hyder). PENALTY on DET-P.Hunt, Defensive Offside, 5 yards, enforced at DET 22 – No Play.
        1st and 5 at DET 17 (4:40) M.Jones left end to DET 15 for 2 yards (J.Wilson). PENALTY on WAS-A.Kouandjio, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at DET 15.
        1st and 13 at DET 25 (4:09) C.McCoy pass incomplete short middle to J.Hamm [N.Lawson]. PENALTY on DET-N.Lawson, Roughing the Passer, 13 yards, enforced at DET 25 – No Play.
        1st and 10 at DET 12 (4:04) (Shotgun) C.McCoy left end to DET 7 for 5 yards (I.Abdul-Quddus).
        2nd and 5 at DET 7 (3:27) M.Jones right tackle to DET 4 for 3 yards (K.Hyder).
        3rd and 2 at DET 4 (2:47) T.Compton reported in as eligible. D.Young up the middle to DET 2 for 2 yards (J.Cudjo; I.Abdul-Quddus).
        1st and 2 at DET 2 (2:11) D.Young right guard to DET 1 for 1 yard (J.Bynes).
        Two-Minute Warning
        2nd and 1 at DET 1 Matt Jones 1 Yard Rush K.Forbath extra point is GOOD, Center-N.Sundberg, Holder-T.Way.

• bangkokben - Aug 25, 2015 at 7:31 PM

Out of 13 plays, 2 passes – one a roughing the passer.

• skinsgame - Aug 25, 2015 at 11:35 PM

So, obviously, the RB’s are wanting Robert to fail or at least look bad.

• bangkokben - Aug 26, 2015 at 9:31 AM

McCoy’s three drives are evidence of how the offense can work if the running game gets on track – regardless of who is playing quarterback. The only drive that was pass happy was the drive that started with 52 seconds left in the half. The third quarter drive was much the same as Colt’s first drive. Trey Williams had a nice 38 yard run in the 3rd quarter drive.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Aug 26, 2015 at 9:52 AM

There isn’t any emotion about it. I never said they didn’t call play action but mostly its obvious pass (shotgun) or straight drop backs repeatedly no play action to start a series, not after a solid run or 2 no really mix up uf play calls to keep the D off balance. The play calling has mor variation with the other guys. I will concede that they get more time on the field. So lets see how Baltimore goes.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Aug 26, 2015 at 10:18 AM

It was actually 12 play attempts with 3 called passes. That was just his first series good amont of runs to slow the pass rush and I dont recall him ever calling 3 obvious passing formations in a row to start a series

• bangkokben - Aug 26, 2015 at 10:24 AM

When did he call three obvious passing formations? And as a qb wouldn’t you want to throw the ball?

• bangkokben - Aug 26, 2015 at 10:41 AM

Quibble if you must but that shotgun run by McCoy was a zone read. The scrambles come later.

McCoy was fine but after rewatching it, Colt looks like a poor man’s Robert. Griffin could do the same things if the running game is going to have three 20+ runs. The team get’s helped on the roughing the passer. The pass was short armed and batted at the line of scrimmage and had minimal chance at completion. McCoy takes off when the check down is there. He takes hits that you don’t necessarily want from your QB. But it all sets up a nice 19-yard TD pass to Ross to end his game on.

There are only two things different as far as play calling: establishing the run and the zone-read. That’s it.

16. goback2rfk - Aug 25, 2015 at 9:13 PM

I just heard Sexy Rexy might get a job. That is amazing gotta give it to the guy.

• bangkokben - Aug 25, 2015 at 9:35 PM

I heard he a tryout at Atlanta. If he gets a job, it’s because Kyle loves him. Kyle Shanahan has extended Rex Grossman’s career by five years.

17. skinsgame - Aug 25, 2015 at 11:40 PM

Gruden/McVay/Callahan et al should be careful not to run it too often. They happen to have the leagues best QB back there, in case they didn’t know, and it would create a controversy if they held him back in any way. They should just sit back and watch how it’s done. Try to enjoy the ride.

• TheHogs - Aug 25, 2015 at 11:55 PM

skinsgame wrote: “They happen to have the leagues best QB back there…”

Griffin is much closer to being the league’s best QB than you are with mastering language comprehension, because no one with any common sense thinks that Griffin was objectively calling himself the league’s best QB.

• goback2rfk - Aug 26, 2015 at 12:45 AM

I dont think Griffin meant that he was the best, but the big question is why is he even going there. Why is he dancing around the idea? Last year he said some other stuff he probably should not of said.
        I think he just needs to stay focused and get away from the other dumb comments that leave him open to attack. I rather here him say things like “I am going to try to be the best QB in the league this year” stuff like that. Stay away from the more self indulged comments that he usually makes.

• TheHogs - Aug 26, 2015 at 12:52 AM

goback2rfk said: “I dont think Griffin meant that he was the best, but the big question is why is he even going there.”

Because he’s an athlete?

• TheHogs - Aug 26, 2015 at 12:59 AM

And, honestly, Griffin could randomly sneeze in an interview, and his detractors would still read into it and get offended. It’s a neurosis that *they* have to address, not Griffin.

• skinsgame - Aug 26, 2015 at 1:34 AM

Hold up a minute there, The Hogs. I’m gonna have to ask for clarity, if ya’ please. The Hogs, are you trying to say that Robert is not the leagues best QB?? Or are you trying to say that when Robert said, “I feel like I’m the best QB in the league” that, in fact, he actually meant that he was not the best QB in the league or perhaps he meant to say that he felt like he was, oh say… I don’t know… 12th best or 19th? You’ll have to learn us all about the nuances of Griffin English, The Hogs.

• TheHogs - Aug 26, 2015 at 2:14 AM

What do you want clarified? If you listen to Griffin’s response *in its entirety* then you would know exactly what he means. You don’t even need to have prior, functional knowledge of an athlete’s mentality and approach to sports to understand his statement.

I actually hope you are trolling.

• skinsgame - Aug 26, 2015 at 7:06 AM

After having you insult me for using a direct quote from Griffin, hopefully you won’t mind me asking you for reinterpretations for other quotes Griffin has out there. I already asked you for clarity on the “I’m the best in the league” quote and, so far, you’re not answering that one. Maybe you’d rather start on a different reinterpretation of this quote from 2013 when he said, “I’m 100 percent, but you can’t put a number in it.”. What did he mean when he said that?

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 26, 2015 at 9:34 AM

RG3 was clearly referring to his state of mind during his workouts and practices. It was an expression of the demand and expectation he has about himself. Skins did you finish High School yet? I’m serious when I ask you this.

• skinsgame - Aug 26, 2015 at 2:45 PM

Class of 2016! Appreciate your concern. Sweet of you to take up answering too, but, I’m not sure which question you’re answering. Is it about Bobs quote of being 100% but not wanting to enumerate it, or is it about him saying he is the best QB in the league but meaning something else entirely?

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 26, 2015 at 9:27 AM

You’re failure at alight humor on RG3 is you’re achievement of ignorance about this team. Skins you are the leader of this group of misinformation by the misinformed

• skinsgame - Aug 27, 2015 at 6:04 AM

What misinformation? You sure manage to whine a lot but never get your point across. I’m putting up direct quotes from Griffin, verbatim, and because you don’t like them being highlighted or wish that they meant something else, you accuse me of “misinformation”? HA

• TheHogs - Aug 27, 2015 at 9:55 AM

You’re still commenting about this?

And why should he even argue with you? You did say in your own post that the Redskins “happen to have the leagues best QB back there, in case they didn’t know, and it would create a controversy if they held him back in any way”. So you do support Griffin, which makes this whole discussion unneccesary.