Aug 24, 2015, 5:33 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Monday, August 24, five days before the Washington Redskins play the Baltimore Ravens.
Five players who need good weeks in practice
After a day off today, the Redskins start preparation for their preseason game in Baltimore on Tuesday. Here are some players who need to have good weeks in practice.
QB Robert Griffin III—This is quite obvious but too essential to leave out. After playing fairly well against the Browns, Griffin had plenty of issues with his mechanics on Thursday. Of course, he didn’t have much of a pocket to work from.
RG Brandon Scherff—He now knows that the days of being able to physically dominate the guy lined up across from him are over. The No. 5 pick in the draft will have to work overtime with line coach Bill Callahan to polish his technique.
OT Willie Smith—Scherff needs a lot of work but he is going to make the team. Smith needs to do something to erase the stain of his poor performance against the Lions if he is going to go from the bubble to the 53-man roster on September 5. The thing is, he might not get into the Ravens game and first cuts are a few days after that. A good showing in practice this week would help his chances of surviving until the fourth preseason game.
TE Derek Carrier—Yes, he just got to town so he doesn’t have any errors he has to atone for. But he needs to learn the offense in a hurry so he can step in and contribute right away. It would be good if he can get some offensive snaps in on Saturday against the Ravens. With Jordan Reed constantly ailing he might be needed to start sooner rather than later.
OLB Houston Bates—He has had three sacks in the two games so far. A roster spot a linebacker came open when Adam Hayward was lost for the season with a knee injury. It’s all there for him to grab but he needs to show that he’s not a flash in the pan.
—Today’s schedule: Off day, no availability
—It’s been 239days since the Redskins played a game. It will be 20 days until they play the Dolphins at FedEx Field.
—Days until: Preseason Redskins @ Ravens 5; final cuts 12; Redskins @ Giants Thursday night 31
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Facebook Live pres. by Paisano's: Previewing London with Ryan Kerrigan
- Redskins vs. Bengals: London game time, TV channel, how to watch
- NFC East: Admitted domestic abuser Josh Brown released by Giants
- Despite mistakes, Redskins' Gruden has faith in WR Grant
- NFC East Update: Redskins loss in Detroit might prove costly as Eagles beat Vikings
- Jay Gruden understands Redskins D-line complaints: They don't get paid to backpedal
- Bigger workloads for Redskins' Thompson, Kelley easier said than done
- Need to Know: Last words on Redskins vs. Lions—It just wasn't Washington's day
- Stephen A. Smith mocks Redskins again after loss to Lions
- Redskins injury report: Team will monitor Williams, Scherff