Need to Know: RG3 the hot topic in the Redskins’ week that was

Aug 23, 2015, 5:26 AM EDT

Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, August 23, six days before the Washington Redskins play the Baltimore Ravens.

Read and react: A look at the week that was

Griffin says he’s the best, Internet implodes—America took to psychoanalyzing Robert Griffin III after he said he believes he’s the best quarterback in the league. Of course the remarks were taken out of context. But that didn’t matter. For the next several days, Griffin’s comment led off talk shows and much cyber ink was spilled discussing the fourth-year quarterback.

RG3: ‘It’s just unfortunate’—What Griffin said came out on Monday. On Tuesay he addressed a group of media members that was mostly local and—oh, never mind, let’s just stop here and move on to actual football matters.

Things go downhill for Griffin vs. Lions—Griffin wasn’t very good on Thursday in the Redskins’ second preseason game, although it must be noted he didn’t get much help from his offensive line. Griffin dropped back to pass eight times and was hit on six of those, including a final one that apparently induced a concussion. Griffin had looked much improved in training camp compared to 2014 and he was OK in the Redskins’ preseason opener. But a lot of the positive of the positive perception and energy created over the last few weeks vaporized in the course of those eight plays

Gruden says Griffin will start when he recovers—It appears that Griffin’s concussion is on the mild side (keeping in mind that any concussion is serious) and it looks like he will be able to play against the Ravens on Saturday. Jay Gruden said that regardless of when Griffin is ready to play he will return to the starting job. Which, of course, is the logical thing to do since you planned on Griffin being the starter since February and it would be the height of dysfunction to abandon your plan after 16 snaps that didn’t go well. But, of course, some fans and some in the media are advocating starting Cousins or McCoy.

Hayward heads to IR—The hits just keep on coming to the Redskins’ special teams. After losing stalwarts Niles Paul and Logan Paulsen to season-ending injuries last week they took another blow when Adam Hayward suffered a torn ACL covering a kickoff late in the first half against the Lions. His absence, both in terms of the talent lost and the leadership void, will make it difficult to turn the Redskins’ special teams around.

Redskins trade for TE Carrier—After they lined tackle Tom Compton up at tight end for several snaps against the Giants, you had to figure the Redskins needed to do something at tight end with the departures of Paul and Paulsen leaving the oft-injured Jordan Reed as the only experienced tight end. They sent a 2017 fifth-round pick to the 49ers for Derek Carrier, who doesn’t have a ton of experience with just 16 games and nine receptions on his NFL resume. His role is to be determined. Hopefully he can be a backup and handle spot starts when Reed is sidelined.

—Former Redskins quarterback Sonny Jurgensen was born on this date in 1934. Former Redskins quarterback Rex Grossman was born on this date in 1980

Today’s schedule: Practice 1:30; availability with Jay Gruden and players after practice

—It’s been 238 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be 21 days until they play the Dolphins at FedEx Field.

Days until: Preseason Redskins @ Ravens 6; final cuts 13; Redskins @ Giants Thursday night 32

1. colorofmyskinz - Aug 23, 2015 at 6:47 AM

Here is the irony of it all – RGIII could be the worst QB in the NFL. And most certainly not the best. RGIII reminds me of that golfing buddy that wants to challenge you to a long drive competition on every hole, but then jacks it off the tee box with a major slice and never puts the ball in play. Then he proceeds to talk about how last week he crushed it on every hole as he proceeds to spend 10 minutes talking to himself looking for the ball as the people behind you wait on the tee box pissed off.

Yes all talk and no walk. After he said this year he not talk and just play ball. The self proclaimed best QB in the world eating humble pie yet again. Maybe it is that massive mouth that just he can’t stop from opening. Every time he does he fits both feet in it.

So how Is this preseason different from last year? The only difference is the defense and the running attack. Other than that we sit here with the exact same QB problem as last year. Both colt and cousins demonstrating much more talent than the front office proclaimed starting QB, yes Snyder. Scot can call every shot on the team except for the QB. Snyder is clearly calling the shots at QB still.

Injuries – same problem as last year. DJax with hammy, everyone with hammy, and Reed falling into place with his hangnails bugging him.

The only soltice in it all is that we might be able have fun watching our defense try to win every game for us as we watch RGIII trip all over his tongue. And we will know the QB drama will be over after 2015. After Snyder convinces himself he made the worst trade of the century and then fires his 8th head coach.

Ah I love the Redskins… HTTR. Will RGIII shut his mouth after this week, or will he step up to then next hole challenge you to another long drive contest as he grips and rips the ball with a banana slice out of bounds… with his pink golf shoes undoubtedly… LOL

• gonavybeatarmy - Aug 23, 2015 at 8:26 AM

The golf buddy analogy you cite is perfect. We all know that guy. And he’s a douche. But, fortunately, we needn’t play golf with him everyday. Imagine having to practice with that guy everyday of the week, watch film him and then play with him on Sundays like the other 52 players on the roster.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 23, 2015 at 12:05 PM

Douche? You don’t speak for everyone nor do you speak for all 52 players. You want to take it personal with a Young QB struggling mostly because oh how this organization has handled him?

Your name calling is an indication of your maturity level

• gonavybeatarmy - Aug 23, 2015 at 1:09 PM

Calm down, son. The guy I responded to laid out the personality trait of someone he and I and probably many others in life have come across. They talk non-stop about themselves, have zero self awareness and then perform at a mediocre or embarrassingly poor level. And then, wash and repeat.

Do I know what all the other 52 players in the locker room privately think about Robert Griffin (I refuse to say RG3)? No. But I do know what it’s like to work closely with someone similar to the golf guy. And that kind of person is often known as a douche.

Here’s what we do know. There were several high profile players last year who anonymously stated that Robert Griffin was not the best QB on the team. And, the head coach of the team was so unimpressed with Griffin as a QB that he devoted a lot of time last year with the majority owner trying to convince him that he was awful. And at some point last year the head coach was asked what he thought of a 24 year old man offering philosophical life lessons through tweets, etc, and Gruden according to media reports just rolled his eyes and shook his head. Someone barely able to drink a beer legally and offering life advice is a trait of a douche.

Unlike some fans, I’m not personally invested in Griffin, Cousins or McCoy. QBs come and go. Even the very good to great ones like Joe Theismann or Sonny. I’m invested in the success of the team. And yes, Theismann ran his mouth often as a player, but he was as tough as nails and had great success under multiple coaches, after really having to earn a spot on the team and in the league the hard way. Griffin, conversely, was handed the keys to the castle by the majority owner before he played a game. And he appears to have regressed a lot.

As a fan of the team for a very long time I’d love to see Griffin become a great QB and lead this team into contention for the next decade, as Andrew Luck is doing with the Colts. But right now, I’d be happy with QB play by Griffin at the level Tannehill provides, and Griffin sadly is below that. Cousins seems to be able to at least play at the Tannehill level.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 23, 2015 at 1:32 PM

I’m well aware of that poor analogy on RG3 and also well aware you think it perfectly applies so when you call “that guy” a douche, you are applying it to RG3. if you know anything about the transitive property in math …well it applies to your inference.

Oh and complaining about a 24 year old giving advice is very narrow minded since he is a starting QB in the NFL who is required to lead a team. Is he young and learning how to lead? Yes! But he must play the roll of a leader and imputing some advice is not as ridiculous as you want it to be. If you want to use Gruden as support well have at him since he is probably worst at leading than this 24 year old you stoop to belittling. That coaching hire is another example of how poorly this organization has managed RG3. There is a reason this franchise has lacked a capable franchise QB for decades.

• gonavybeatarmy - Aug 23, 2015 at 1:49 PM

You’re obviously personally, emotionally and mentally invested in a now 25 year old QB who is entering his 4th season, but who is easily in the bottom quartile (perhaps bottom decile) of players in the league at his position. Good luck with that. I’m invested in the long term success of the team. If Griffin is the QB, then great. If not, next man up.

And I agree with you that the organization has been in total chaos under this majority owner for sixteen years. This chaos well predates Griffin. But, in this instance, Griffin is seemingly the beneficiary of the chaos. Any other well run team would have never traded such value for one player. The Patriots, Steelers, Green Bay and Ravens would have never made such an absurd trade for just one player. And any really well run team never allows a past mistake to dictate their future. Don’t compound the mistake. Play the best players…always.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 23, 2015 at 2:08 PM

I have no investment in RG3. I have much invested in this team as a club seat ticket holder. I do react when unwarrented attack is made on any Redskin player and I’ve done the same for Cousins here.

You can see the criticism on RG3 escalate to outright personal attacks.

I don’t like it because in today’s world players see these attacks and I don’t think it’s wise for Redskins fans to behave like a cowboy fan towards players on this team.
          I want RG3 to succeed and displaying personal disrespect resonates and especially when your own fans resort to it.
          Maybe you never payed on a football team well I did and I know how negativity like this can impact performance on the field.

• gonavybeatarmy - Aug 23, 2015 at 2:24 PM

If comments on a stupid fan message board have an impact on Griffin, then this team in general and this QB in particular are in much worse shape than they appear to be. I highly doubt that anyone on the team cares what you or I write. But if they do, their skin is even thinner than it ominously appears to be from afar.

As for playing organized football, I’d never use a forum like this to play the Al Bundy former football player card, the consummate example of douchebaggery.

Semper Fi

• brucefan1 - Aug 23, 2015 at 3:06 PM

gonavywhatever posted:

“Here’s what we do know. There were several high profile players last year who anonymously stated that Robert Griffin was not the best QB on the team. And, the head coach of the team was so unimpressed with Griffin as a QB that he devoted a lot of time last year with the majority owner trying to convince him that he was awful. “.

Bro, you don’t KNOW any of that!

You may THINK that, suppose that, heard rumor of that, even hope, wish & dream that — but you don’t KNOW that.

There’s a big difference.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 23, 2015 at 7:11 PM

Bruce, the Simple Fi braggart is probably mixing up the New England Patroits report on a few co-practices they saw last season or he’s part of the newly infamous farse fans that use conjecture to support any bogus fact about the QB

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 23, 2015 at 6:15 PM

And boasting your military background on a discussion forum proves what?

You’re not be the first jackass to wear a uniform.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 23, 2015 at 11:50 AM

You apparently know nothing about RG3 and just kowtow to Media BS. That’s as bad as an analogy one can contrive about RG3.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 23, 2015 at 11:56 AM

I find it ironic that the one here calling to cut Thompson now has nothing comment about on him. Keep getting your view wrong on players until you run out of what to comment on this team

• gasngo14 - Aug 23, 2015 at 12:18 PM

WOW this attack coming from a guy who said ALF was a practice squad player at best…… Hmmm…….

2. colorofmyskinz - Aug 23, 2015 at 6:48 AM

The only curse that would be worse is sitting 3-6 for the 4 year in a row…

3. sidepull - Aug 23, 2015 at 7:46 AM

Only preseason. Lets see how it goes in the first two regular season games. If they lose those two games then I will start to care about the state of the Redskins. For now, they are 0-0 in the regular season. They have yet to field a unit that will be the finished product, Heck, cuts have not even been made. We will lose some and even may pick up a cut player from another team. The drama will continue until then.

I just hope all of our injured players get better and we don’t have anymore. Special teams has taken a hit but even so they didn’t look too bad. I would like to see improved tackling in the preseason game with Baltimore.

As far as QB situation goes I am hoping its going to become crystal clear after this season. Hopefully the drama and angst that pits us fans against each other over which QB should be leading the Redskins, will find us all getting behind one QB. Or is the angst just a product of being a Redskin fan always embroiled in QB controversies? Its just preseason and i am just a fan who is going to try to reserve judgement until I see what team shows up for regular season play.

• bangkokben - Aug 23, 2015 at 9:27 AM

Very sensible except the part about getting behind one QB. The camps are to firmly entrenched. I’m with you. Root for the uniforms! Cheer for anyone wearing a Redskin uniform Darrell Green or Dieon Sanders. Griffin, Cousins, or McCoy.

• Skulb - Aug 23, 2015 at 9:59 AM

Look, I´m a huge critic of Griffin here, as some of you have perhaps noticed. But come match day I´m all party hats and QB motivational songs here. I really do want him to play well and win games. I just don´t believe in false optimism between the actual games. The performance from the first string was just terrible against Detroit. There´s no other way to put it. And Griffin is a part of that problem.
      So now I´ll tell anyone who will listen or is too slow to get away from me that I think either Cousins or McCoy should start. That does not mean I don´t wish Robert well when he takes the field September 13th. I would love for him to shut me up and prove me wrong. I really would.

• bangkokben - Aug 23, 2015 at 10:14 AM

Skulb, I get it. I was 100% behind Cousins and McCoy when they were playing last year, too. Then there are the vocal extremes in each camp that delight when the ‘other’ guy makes a mistake. Jeeesuz, there’ 52 other guys out there. Would I rather have my guy start for a losing team or a winning team? A winning team!

• Skulb - Aug 23, 2015 at 10:18 AM

Yeah I know. Trust me, I take no pleasure in watching Griffin struggle like he is.

• gasngo14 - Aug 23, 2015 at 11:01 AM

Do you really believe Bob has it?

• bangkokben - Aug 23, 2015 at 11:17 AM

If you spend a $1000 on a hundred shares of a stock ($10/share), when those shares are now worth ten cents each ($0.10), do you sell your shares to get $10.00 back? Are you even concerned that they might go down in value? No and no. At that point you let it ride.

• gasngo14 - Aug 23, 2015 at 11:54 AM

” At that point you let it ride.”

At some point you have to cut ties with a player, sorry but your stocks comparison does not work in the….
          NFL = Not for long!!!!!

• brucefan1 - Aug 23, 2015 at 1:36 PM

There goes bangkokben, making all the sense in the world, when he comments that the Skins have invested WAY too much in Griffin — in draft choices, coaches, time … yada …yada …too give up on him yet!

(Especially due to the fact that their options are an unsought-after journeyman — in the Grossman/Beck/Brunell vein — and another guy who failed miserably when given solid chances at the end of 2013 & the middle of 2014!)

Like ben, I say just let this play out — and to try not to get one’s panties too much in a bunch while it does so.

Imho, the Skins should not throw in the towel on the RG3 effort until they are sure that they’ve rung that sucker out DRY! And when/if the decide they have, THEN they should move in another direction.

(Who knows, it MAY take them all of 2015 to finalize that determination. To me, SO WHAT if it does; baring a miracle, this iteration of the Skins ain’t going to the playoffs any-who. Right or wrong??)

Perhaps naïvely, I for one trust in the new Redskin leadership’s ability to make that decision … but not so much the media’s, or we fans’.

• skinsgame - Aug 23, 2015 at 2:27 PM

What is considered time enough to make a decision in the “let it play out” scenario? Isn’t that what the team is doing?? When Gruden came out and removed any curiosity in February and named Griffin the starter, that was the team going out of their way to appease him and hopefully get his head in the right place. It doesn’t appear to have worked by the small sample size we’ve so far seen. He still talks too much, right or wrong, and he still looks like he’s struggling on the field. So, at what point is it ok for the team to say, “Robert, you’ll hold the clipboard for now and hopefully learn the QB position from the sideline.”? There is no shame in telling someone that. If he continues to look like he did in weeks gone by, when do you pull the plug?

• bangkokben - Aug 23, 2015 at 5:19 PM

“What is considered time enough?” That is the question. I’ll get to it in a moment but first, I think your presupposition isn’t entirely accurate. I don’t think Gruden gave RGIII the job to appease Griffin or get his head right. I think he was forced to by the freshly hired General Manager. I don’t believe for a second that Gruden looked at the film from last year and summarized that Robert was the best for the job – or McCloughan did for that matter. It is my opinion that the GM sat down Gruden and said that Robert is the starter – no point going into all the whys now but summed up in three words: investment, talent, and owner. Then they put together a plan on how to make Griffin successful. He needs more time in the pocket to compensate for his slow process, the o-line needs to establish a strong running game to set up Griffin’s strengths – deep balls and play action, and lastly strengthen the defense to keep games within striking distance because Griffin at this stage has the slimmest of chances in winning a shoot out. Efforts have been made in each of these areas. So, nothing before McC’s arrival are factors in this equation. GM Scot is seven months and no games into his plan. So, how long before the plan is a complete fail? The simple answer is until Scot decides. My guess as to what that would be? I suspect that Griffin gets most if not all of this season and if there is a modicum of success, then next year as well. Now if you see what you saw in the 8 pass attempts Thursday in the regular season WITH Trent Williams on the field that might change. I know this isn’t what most fans want to hear and it is only my opinion but this is how most professionally run organizations handle their top five draft picks. As for holding the clipboard? Robert’s contract is the answer to that question. It’s the same reason Scherff isn’t watching Spencer Long play right guard. Guys who get picked that high work through their issues on the field.

• skinsgame - Aug 23, 2015 at 5:57 PM

In watching the replays of the play where Robert got “hurt”, I don’t see it and I think this is another possible outcome. I think Robert panicked and didn’t want to get up to hear more booing and feigned an injury after his embarrassing fumble. Griffins psyche seems to be awfully delicate and, crazy as it sounds, I can see him pulling that card again. No matter how the big the lineman was that landed on him was, that wasn’t a blow to the head, it was a blow to his ego.

• bangkokben - Aug 23, 2015 at 7:44 PM

All I’m going to say is that it is plausible. I don’t see how that changes anything. Gruden has been given multiple opportunities in the last week to throw Griffin under the bus and so far he has resisted the temptation. I suspect that McC gave Gruden an assessment upon McC’s arrival and affirmed what will and won’t be tolerated.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 23, 2015 at 1:09 PM

I agree to disagree on the starter but completely agree, that like you, If the table turns and Cousins gets the nod for taking over then I’ll back Cousins 100%. If Couisins secures the long term position then I’d be glad about being wrong about RG3 succeeding here. Bringing a winner back to this franchise is most important to me.
        Of course that’s easier for me since I think I appreciate Cousins more than you appreciate RG3 :)

• Skulb - Aug 23, 2015 at 1:14 PM

I´m guessing we´re all equally tired of losing here.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 23, 2015 at 12:08 PM

That’s a refreshing level headed comment.

4. gasngo14 - Aug 23, 2015 at 8:48 AM

Rich I hear if we lose RG to a season ending injury we must pay him his entire contract – next 2 years? If this is correct, how does that effect the CAP? If it is a cap hit, how many losses will it take to sit him down for the year? Whats the risk vs reward Rich?

5. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Aug 23, 2015 at 8:56 AM

I feel good about Carrier. The 49ers had a logjam at T.E., so that was the logical place to look for a younger guy with some upside.

6. berniebernard666 - Aug 23, 2015 at 9:22 AM

Rich you mentioned the “height of dysfunction”. Actually the Redskins are already there. You have a coach who does not want Griffin. You have an owner who has hired a GM with the understanding that he will keep Griffin for at least one year. You have a GM who is hand picking all the free agents from the Western divisions. Pot Roast, Ianocho, Goldston, Culliver, Jerron Johnson, and now a San Fran tight end.

You have a Coach who is the cook in the kitchen being blamed for all the wrong ingredients in the cake. You have an owner who is silently directing things behind the scenes….and a delusional QB who believes he is better than Tom Brady or Aaron Rogers. Rich…did you say something about the height of dysfunction?

• ET - Aug 23, 2015 at 10:40 AM

Still dysfunctional? Yes. It’d be difficult to say otherwise. But somewhat less dysfunctional.

If nothing else, we should see improvement in the run defense and the rushing attack. We may be lucky enough to see incremental improvement in other areas as well. Who knows? Maybe there’ll be unlooked-for gains elsewhere (Special teams? Sacks? QB play? Safety play?). The point I’m trying to make, I think, is we should see less dysfunction moving forward, and those changes will (hopefully) have a multiplier effect—what some people call “changing the culture.” Any move in that direction, no matter how incremental, is better than no change at all.

• brucefan1 - Aug 23, 2015 at 2:23 PM

Whoa, 666! (Btw, interesting number selection; why’d ya choose it?)

Can you point to an article where it claims that the owner “hIred the GM with the understanding that he’d keep Griffin for at least one year”, 666? Just ONE report/article?! THAT seems made up out of whole cloth to me. A complete speculation on YOUR part! Total BS.

And where’s your EVIDENCE for your accusation that Snyder “is silently directing things” at this time, despite all the legitimate reports that opine he’s turned these decisions over to McCloughan, 666. Pure. Biased. Speculation.

And (this is a HOOT!); what part of the country the GM is getting the talent from is some kind of indication of his … inadequacy? .. bias? … nefariousness? … stupidity? … devil-worship??(I’m sure “666” gets that one. ;^} ) … WHAT?! What does that have to do with anything, 666??!! LMAO!

I’ll tell ya what it may have to do with, because it’s kinda transparent! I’ll speculate it could have to do with the fear that McC MAY decide that Griffin is the way to go to start the season, and some fans can’t stomach the thought of that. So what else can they do but DISPARAGE HIM — the guy who may make that decision. Simple as that; attack the guy before he even decides — even if they don’t have a shred of PROOF to back their biased accusations.

But then, we get a LOT of “no proof FACTS” around here, don’t we? Maybe, it’s just what we have to expect from Internet comment sections? Haha

7. bangkokben - Aug 23, 2015 at 10:05 AM

Now we have a real GM. He will not listen to the fans and he will not change from his plan. He picked Griffin as the starter and he’s going to stick to it. He’s gone all-in on Griffin and just like poker, you can’t pull those chips out of the pot after the flop. (Flop. See what I did there? That’s got to get Bruce laughing.)

I know we have lived with a dysfunctional organization for so long we don’t recognize ‘functional.’ It looks wrong. it takes time. There will be a lot of withdraw symptoms. It may even get worse before it gets better. 2015 will be the year we raze the whole house and determine the foundation. 2016 we will rebuild the foundation but this year the builder, McCloughan, is determining if some of the materials are strong enough for the foundation: Griffin and Gruden for example and if others are worth the cost: Trent Williams, Alfred Morris, Terrance Knighton, Dashon Goldson, Pierre Garcon, DeSean Jackson, Jason Hatcher. So far we have Ryan Kerrigan, Chris Culliver, and Brandon Scherff. That’s about it. Everyone else is auditioning for next year.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 23, 2015 at 12:15 PM

Based on some fan comments here, the GM would be better off taking advice on how to improve the team from Cowboy fans :)

–being facious

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 23, 2015 at 12:43 PM

I have to say thisbis as good as a comment gets here.

If I interpret you correctly that having such a troubled organization for so long, it has lead to a lot of impatience and hasty decisions among fans. It includes me but I have to add that i recall a smarter fanbase then what I see now here. It’s probably more of a product of social media but I feel some Redskins fans fail and even refuse to see the complete picture about what’s involved in building a franchise QB. I don’t know if RG3 will succeed here but I do know if he fails then the way this organization managed him would be a significant reason. The hate on the kid is just over the top and i can see some fans not only buying into the lies but they are also players involved in spreading and conjuring even more lies. A NFL QB situation is normally polarizing but some fans here are downright and purposely vicious and ignorant of the whole truth. Maybe dysfunction in a organization under Snyder breads dysfunction in fans. The rationality seems to be completely gone for some. Even if they get it right about RG3 not working out here, they are already wrong in how the whole situation with him has played out Sorry for my rant but your excellent comment just seemed to give the perfect platform for it.

8. mr.moneylover - Aug 23, 2015 at 10:18 AM

Scot m. Looking pass players who cant stay healthy for his team…they brought in TE carrier cause hes tough and physical this move puts alot of pressure on jordan reed to get on the field …the tight end postion now has depth…scot m. Said it best you have to show him you belong on this team because we gonna move forward without you if you cant

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 23, 2015 at 12:50 PM

From what I read, he is probably a reserve tight end that will participate immediately in special teams. This looks like a move to fill two huge spots but not a potential replacement for Reed. If Reed fails to get on the field then yeah the guy might get some reps at tight end but we have other backup tight ends now that are probably ahead of this guy.

9. mr.moneylover - Aug 23, 2015 at 10:27 AM

I just have a bad feeling about jay gruden running this team…I dont trust him so I know some players in the locker room dont….scot m. Logged jay gruden back to work with rg3 jay gruden didnt really want to and jay gruden threw rg3 to the wolves so he wouldn’t have to work with him and scot m. force jay gruden to fix rg3 because thats what he said to get the job and it will the reason he get fired if he dont….THIS IS MY OPINION ON WHATS GOING ON…I BET IF WE LOSE LIKE HOW WE DID LAST YEAR WITH THIS MUCH TALENT ON THE ROSTER JAY GRUDEN GONE FOR SURE SCOT M. WILL BE LOOKING FOR A HEAD COACH BEFORE THE SEASON END…WE ALREADY MIGHT DRAFT A QB BECAUSE WE NOT RESIGNING KIRK COUSINS

• warpath1 - Aug 23, 2015 at 12:00 PM

i wouldnt judge Gruden based on one year. He did not inherit a “good” team. He inherited a hugely divided team. If RG3 deserves 4 years to get it right so does Jay. I would also very much contest that we have alot of TALENT on this team. Give Scot a couple more years of replacing trash with ballers and see where we are at

• goback2rfk - Aug 23, 2015 at 4:36 PM

Gruden looks so puzzled when he is out on the field. Always this perplexed look on his face. Cant help but think he is watching his career go up in flames as the Redskins coach. Coached come to Washington to die and thats what isgoing down for Gruden .Cya

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 23, 2015 at 12:56 PM

If the team fails this season then I think the GM has already made coaching moves to possibly replace Gruden next season. To the pleasure of many fans here, RG3 may get one more shot next year in securing his position as the teams franchise QB

10. bilyd333 - Aug 23, 2015 at 10:51 AM

I am surprised that no one has offered up the possibility that the O-line decided that the “best” qb in the league needed an humility lesson. We have all heard the stories about how little Mr. “BEST” is liked in the locker room. Players have the ability to let the other team do their dirty work for them. Miss a block, and hopefully the “best” guy will get his clock cleaned. The mouth got EXACTLY what he deserved. Too bad he will be back. While I do not wish ill will against anyone, it would be a gigantic step up if ANYONE other than the “best” guy was behind center. When will Danny get it??? He screwed up and overpaid for a 0. 3 number 1’s and a 2?!? For this moron?!? When will this team wake up?
    After another 3 win season this year the Skins will be picking in the top 5 again. They will fire the head coach again. They will screw up drafting another qb again. This team is completely broken. Until they realize that, they will be perennial bottom dwellers. I love this team, for almost 50 yrs, and I always will. Maybe one day. ……maybe.

11. skinsgame - Aug 23, 2015 at 11:32 AM

“Which, of course, is the logical thing to do since you planned on Griffin being the starter since February and it would be the height of dysfunction to abandon your plan after 16 snaps that didn’t go well.”
    That just isn’t true. Griffin has been named the starter since he was a rookie. The coach coming out and giving him a vote of confidence does not equate to a total reset of how many pass attempts Griffin has made since being named the starter.

12. hitmeimopen - Aug 23, 2015 at 11:46 AM

In my opinion, if the coaches have an idea of what RG is good at, then they should rep and rep again his blitz relief bailout options. If he sees the kind of penetration he saw Thursday, he MUST be able and practiced at the all-important dumpoff. Sure, he’s thinking, “I want to go deep on 5 or 7 step drop,” but if there’s a jailbreak he’s got to make the D pay for their aggression. Practice the Shti out of this! Rep, rep, rep until it’s second nature. Who coaches the guy? C’mon man!

• skinsgame - Aug 23, 2015 at 2:33 PM

Why do you think Griffins completion percentage is so high? He dumps off and checks down as much as Jason Campbell did. He has zero pocket presence and can not feel pressure. He has been awful at moving around within the pocket and buying time.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 23, 2015 at 8:05 PM

You can say the same about Tom Brady who is among the lowest overall yards per pass almost every season

• skinsgame - Aug 23, 2015 at 10:40 PM

Please. Brady throws a lot of short routes, but they’re routes designed for YAC. He’s also been in 6 Super Bowls.

13. gurnblanstonreturns - Aug 23, 2015 at 12:06 PM

Gruden better find some better answers quick because the Skins are headed up the road next Saturday. They’re going to knock on the door, and Terrell Suggs is gonna answer. The Ravens don’t play no “preseason” bs. The Eagles just saw it, and the Skins have seen it year after year. The Ravens play at one speed – and one speed only. McCloughan will be scrambling to sign Rex Grossman and Michael Vick if Gruden doesn’t do his job and prepare a plan to compete and to protect his players.

• ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Aug 23, 2015 at 3:18 PM

The Eagles won 40-17. Seems the Ravens run D is missing Haloti Ngata.

As for Suggs:

“When you run the read-option, you have to know the rules,” Suggs said. “If you want to run the read-option with your starting quarterback that has had two knee surgeries, that’s on you. That’s not my responsibility to update you on the rules.”

• bangkokben - Aug 23, 2015 at 4:38 PM

The game was one-sided. 30-0 at the end of the 3rd quarter. All of the Raven’s scoring drives led by their 3rd stringer. The Eagles at will got huge chunks with the zone-read giving to the ball to the backs up the middle against every unit. The Ravens are decimated at right tackle. Whoever they put in at that position gets injured. Think our TE and you get the picture. Joe threw two INTs: one on a deep ball deflection and the other just overthrew some 6’++ guy by another six feet. Suggs shot on Bradford was a bit dirty but seemed to be within the rules. Flagged and originally called “roughing the passer” – on a handout out of shot-gun?! It would be good to get clarity on how the league plans on calling that. Bradford handed it off just before contact. The dirty part? Targeting Bradford’s legs and twisting him down when a shove or pop would’ve been understandable. Suggs had a right to be mad.

14. Capital Defense - Aug 23, 2015 at 4:24 PM

He faked injury to get out of the game, there I said what everyone else was afraid to say.

He wanted out of that game after another bone headed, three stooges, type of play.

NOT an NFL QB. Period.

• brucefan1 - Aug 23, 2015 at 5:35 PM

WHO, was planning to say that?!

Its gotta be the stupidest –or the most facetious (Just in case you were mocking that sentiment.) — thing ever posted here (and that is saying a boatload!) LOL

• skinsgame - Aug 23, 2015 at 6:04 PM

It’s absolutely possible and after watching the replay, I’d bet on it.

• brucefan1 - Aug 23, 2015 at 7:34 PM

ABSOLUTELY possible?! Anything is “possible”, but “absolutely possible”? That’s a strrrrrretch.

(But perhaps you’re a renowned interpreter of body language? LOL! If so…my bad! If not…you’re just guessing.)

Funny, I never heard a peep of this in any of these many, many comments on that game till right now. I guess “everyone else” (who Cap Def refers to) who saw what you claim to have seen, WERE afraid to say it after all!!

(So…is that why YOU didn’t mention it earlier, either?;^} )

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 23, 2015 at 8:02 PM

Please no more unfounded conspiracies on RG3. I hope you were joking here.

If not, think about what another injury creates. Why would he jeapordize his already poor reputation about staying heathy by faking an injury?

• skinsgame - Aug 23, 2015 at 10:46 PM

How is “absolutely possible” a stretch? Watch the replay and find where he took a shot to the dome or even where he bumped into the ground. It’s not even close. Never happens. Gruden is now saying they don’t know when he suffered a “concussion”. Lol

15. goback2rfk - Aug 23, 2015 at 4:35 PM

I would say RG3 is one of the best QB’s in the league and definitely the best QB in the NFC East.
    I would say RG3 is better than Sam Bradford, Eli Manning, and I would like to think he is better than Tony Romo.
    He will step it up this year. Silence all the critics and maybe even run for office once he is out of football.

• gasngo14 - Aug 23, 2015 at 4:53 PM

I would say……………. Bob is Bob!

• warpath1 - Aug 23, 2015 at 5:55 PM

ill have what ever your having

16. timwillhidetimwillhide - Aug 23, 2015 at 4:59 PM

It’s funny how some people are blaming the 1st teams bad performance on RG3 but Every Analysis, Ex football player, and yours truly along with some of the smarter commenters on here Clearly sees that the Oline was blamed for that performance. I also put it on the guy calling the plays. This Coach has shown an unwillingness to Change his Offense to cater to the players strengths and cover their weaknesses. Everyone knew that we would be facing a tough Defensive line yet the Coach decided the best plan of action was to come out and call straight dropbacks knowing the D was teeing off on them and did nothing to try and slow that pass rush. The Fact that people would blame RG3 when everyone that knows and played the game blamed the Oline shows a bias against the guy. The Coach clearly called 2 different offenses in that game something he also did last year at times. I don’t know if this coach just wants his own hand picked QB and that is his agenda or if he believes his system is that good he is gonna call it come hell or high water.

Since a lot of the Commenters on here haven’t bin on here long and I dont recall any being on here as long as me I will say like I’ve said in the Past I feel Shannahan had a plan and got a raw deal from the Cap Penalty and would have had this Oline fixed if it wasn’t for that, I never liked the hiring of Jay Gruden, I’ve always thought that Cousinswas an interception waiting to happen, and I do like Colt McCoy but not as much as RG3, I’ve bin on recordfor years now saying that the Oline was pretty bad at Pass Blocking, Ive even offered up links and stats pointing to that.

• gasngo14 - Aug 23, 2015 at 5:08 PM

shanny what?

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Aug 23, 2015 at 5:09 PM

All that being said The GM hire was a great hire. The Oline does have better players on it. A Rookie will have some hiccups here and there especially moving to the opposite side of where he is use to playing. Ive bin on record saying I dont like Kory Lichtenstein he is too light and gets pushed around at times. Hope fully they are calling a totally different offense during the regular season an are catering to the players strengths like they said they would do. If not they need to get someone who will.

• brucefan1 - Aug 23, 2015 at 7:13 PM

I was a backer of Shanahanahan(…ahan) back then, too, Tim.

But, the REAL “redskin” rolled the dice on sitting Griffin and putting in Cousins, and it backfired on him.

If Cousin Kirk could have come through for him, and won those last three games, (instead of plotzing – which he did; Kirk plotzed) I think that coulda saved Mike’s job. (M’ehh … 6-10 vs. 3-13 … maybe not. But he still woulda had the “2012 Division Champs” card to play! So maybe.)

If Kirk HAD done that —finished STRONG — then the two QBs just may have opened camp in an true “open” competition. And if KC had the great camp he eventually ended up having last year, he could very well have beat out Griffin for the job. (Most think he did anyway.)

Then it would have been Mike and Kyle, with “traditional QB” Cousin Kirk at the helm, and who knows what might have happened? One Shanny or the other, or BOTH, might still be at the helm in Landover.

(But only if they could have gotten that shaky defense and those atrocious special teams of 2013 to cooperate, tho. They were a HUGE part of that whole collapse, too.)

It is fun to speculate, no? (As long as one calls it that! LOL)

• goback2rfk - Aug 23, 2015 at 7:30 PM

There was never and will never be a QB competition. RG3 is the quarterback no matter what the case may be. The only thing that will put RG3 out is another injury. RG3 is signed for next year and will then be getting that 4 year extension. Kirk Cousins and Colt are back up QB’s and will not be resigned. Rg3 is the future.

• brucefan1 - Aug 23, 2015 at 8:04 PM

Respectfully disagree, goback.

Imho, if Griffin falls on his face — while the line, the running backs, receivers, and coaches all appear to be doing THEIR jobs adequately — I strongly believe he will be benched. I speculate that Scot McC has him on a short leash, whether he makes that position public or not.

But if Griffin does manage to perform adequately (and possibly JUST adequately) I think he will retain the job.

I have too much faith in McC’s desire, ability — and POWER — to do what he determines to be the right thing for this team to think otherwise. (But as we can see from the comments, some from the “anti-Griffin” faction are already becoming cynical about McC’s wisdom & independence. C’est la vie.)

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Aug 23, 2015 at 7:40 PM

He was showcasing Cousins so they could trade him nothing more If it wasn’t for the Cap Penalty we would have had the money for a better Oline and defensive pieces. which would have given us a better record

• brucefan1 - Aug 23, 2015 at 8:19 PM

That cap penalty WAS a DOOZEY! Totally piling on. But that’s what happens when ALL power — of judge, jury & executioner — is put in the hands of one person (or in Goodell’s case, “puppet” and, by extension, his puppet-masters — such as J. Jones & T. Mara)

But while we’re tallying black marks up, Tim, I think sending Griffin back into that Seattle playoff game was a killer, too! And while I didn’t believe it at the time, there were many in the DC media of the opinion that THAT was a death-knell for Shanny. How prophetic they ended up being!

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 23, 2015 at 7:30 PM

No doubt shanahans plan for the team was derailed by a ruling that should never have favored a cap penalty. The NFL committed collusion by forcing a arbitrary cap during a uncapped season.

17. kenlinkins - Aug 23, 2015 at 8:38 PM

So we go almost to the second preseason game before we hit any RG3 Drama this year. That in its self was an improvement. Now if we can just get this put to bed and watch his next performance, this team can move forward. We have one more preseason game before the roster must be cut to 75 and we all understand that no QB’s are going to be released then. It will be interesting to see just how RG3 reacts to the poor outing and what he does on Saturday night. Until then let’s hope the Redskins can get a few starters back on the field so we fans understand just what is ahead for us to watch. I think we all have heard way too about RG3 already, I know I have.

18. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Aug 23, 2015 at 8:51 PM

Tackle Willie Smith worked with the third team on the right side. Ty Nsekhe took the second-team reps at left tackle, with Compton at right tackle.

From Keim today. Willie wasn’t a hero…
    ~ Archives