Need to Know: Redskins stock up-stock down vs. the Lions

Aug 21, 2015, 6:47 AM EDT

Trey Williams vs Lions

Here is what you need to know on this Friday, August 21, eight days before the Washington Redskins play the Baltimore Ravens

Stock up/Stock down vs. the Lions

Here are some who saw their value go up and some who saw it drop during Thursday’s preseason win over the Lions.

Up—LB Houston Bates: A lot of you here have asked me about him and he finally had a game to live up to his fan favorite status. He was one of the first linebackers off the bench and posted three tackles including a sack for a loss of 12 yards.

Down—OL Willie Smith: He got a good chance to shine with a start at left tackle as Trent Williams rested. But he struggled mightily against the Lions and the team likely will seek other options should Williams get injured.

Up—RB Trey Williams: He led the team in rushing with 52 yards on 10 carries, including on he popped for 38 yards. He still needs to maneuver better between the tackles but if he can break off a long run in each of the last two preseason game he could make it very hard to release him on September 5.

Down—G Brandon Scherff: I don’t want to keep banging on the offensive line but Scherff had his struggles, too. On one of three sacks Robert Griffin III took in eight dropbacks was right through Scherff. He did not have a good day but the important thing is that he learns from it.

Up—WR Rashad Ross: The numbers at wide receiver work against him but he led the team with 39 receiving yards on four catches plus a touchdown. He could be working himself into a position where if he doesn’t make this team he will make another team.

Who did I miss? Who do you think played well? Let me know in the comments.

Today’s schedule: Off day

—It’s been 236 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be 23 days until they play the Dolphins at FedEx Field.

Days until: Preseason Redskins @ Ravens 8; final cuts 15; Redskins @ Giants Thursday night 34

146 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. hk2000 - Aug 21, 2015 at 6:57 AM

If the coaches are going to use the preseason only to teah their O Line, maybe they should put in a disposable QB until the line learns, I don’t want my QB killed before the line learns a lesson or two. That was a rediculouse game plan by a rediculouse coach. Why in the hell the learning process stopped as soon as Colt got in? They’re all pocket passers, no body would claim that Kirk is not a pocket passer, yet when Kirk or McCoy enter the game, the play calling changes completely. If you’re the coach and you see your QB getting killed in less than a second, you either change the protection scheme or change the plays,

• hk2000 - Aug 21, 2015 at 7:07 AM

I realize my complaint is an exercise in futility, the coach won’t see it and don’t care, most fans who read it probably disagree as well, but I hope the front office did watch the game and realize, we cannot have Griffin and Grudge at the same time, it’s one or the other. I know we’re not expecting to accomplish much this year, but I don’t want to sacrifice the QB health and maybe even his life- considering how bad those hits were.

• MC12 - Aug 21, 2015 at 8:05 AM

No worries. Griffin will be gone next year and most likely Gruden. We will never again give up three first rounders and a second for one college player.

• wvredskins - Aug 21, 2015 at 1:40 PM

Preseason is a time for a QB to work on things that he is not fully comfortable with. and for RG that is staying in the pocket making his reads and getting rid of the ball as quick as possible.

• Capital Defense - Aug 21, 2015 at 8:15 PM

Spot on, great post!

• abanig - Aug 21, 2015 at 8:41 PM

That’s true, and despite my previous posts about them not running things that Griffin will be successful at I was also thinking they were running just pocket plays for Griffin because they know that’s what he has to work on the most.

• Alisa the Doula - Aug 21, 2015 at 7:11 AM

You are right, they gameplay for Robert to fail, and Gruden was smiling an awful lot when and after he got hurt. Gruden is an awful coach, and an awful man.

• Skulb - Aug 21, 2015 at 7:18 AM

These are some whack comments right here.

• shermanp79 - Aug 21, 2015 at 8:11 AM

I agree…..clueless. Let’s see…..RG3 is Snyder’s boy and Gruden and Co. are going to sabotage him. The field position wasn’t great. So they ran with quick passes to get him going. After all short passes are the only one he likes other than a bomb. Look at all the patterns Cousins throws too. Rg3 can’t get through them because one he feels pressure, its over. He pulls eyes down and gets nailed. He has not improved one bit in the pocket. Look at Tannenhill, he barely played QB, came from a similar offense and is miles ahead. Lets see all the other young guys who pass him. Its a joke blaming Gruden and McVey, thinking they are setting him up to fail.

• Skulb - Aug 21, 2015 at 12:22 PM

The simple truth is that he´s terrible and plays as if he´s never seen a football field before in his life. If people wanna blame that on Gruden they can knock themselves out as far as I´concerned.
          Griffin needs to be cut so the two QBs on this team can play for the starting job. It´s just that simple. He is unable to do the simplest thing.

• Alisa the Doula - Aug 21, 2015 at 11:51 AM

You and your 90’s lingo are whack.

• wncskinsfan - Aug 21, 2015 at 4:24 PM

totally agree. I see no conspiracy here. I just see a football team trying to rebuild and figure it out, and trying to get something from the major investment that was made for griffin. The writing is on the wall that that experiment is not working out. I find it hard to attribute it to sabotage that, as that would involve the careers and success of other people/coaches, too . . . like Callahan. A read option system gets Robert clobbered. He gets clobbered in the pocket too, the OL did not help with that at all last nite. and you have to play the guy for a minute to try to fix these things. What we saw last nite was crap football, not a conspiracy.

• 214hof - Aug 21, 2015 at 7:26 AM

It’s Robert’s job to get to the line, read the defensive alignment, and adjust… Not the coach.

• hk2000 - Aug 21, 2015 at 7:49 AM

IT”S NOT AN INDIVIDUAL PLAYER’S JOB TO DO ANYTHING- IT’S A TEAM SPORT- Starting with the coach. If you think the coach has nothing to do with it, you really don’t understand this game.

• 214hof - Aug 21, 2015 at 8:05 AM

You’re funny, yes, it is a team sport… But players have certain responsibilities (C, QB on O, MLB, S on D). If you think it’s the HC, or coordinator’s job to adjust pre snap give you’re head a shake. If it were a regular season game, I asure you that they (the coaches) would have made adjustments at the end of a series and at halftime. It’s Griffin’s job to know when to check off to a run, or change the play to take advantage of the defense based on their alignment.

• hk2000 - Aug 21, 2015 at 8:34 AM

Man, you’re delusional if you think any play would’ve succeeded. That line was god awful, run plays would’ve failed as well and I suspect Griffin would still get hit because the line was soft as butter.

• skins26portis - Aug 22, 2015 at 2:27 AM

I agree that Jay didn’t adjust the play calling after RG3 had been hit several times. The O-Line was getting pushed back into RG3 when he was in the pocket. It was like a jail break on a few plays. Gruden didn’t adjust the play calling until RG3 was hurt and McCoy came in the game. He rolled out McCoy and also ran the ball. But lets not forget to mention when McCoy came in the Lions 1st team defense went out the game. Go watch you will see the 2nd string players came in on defense. So our O-Line played better against their backups.

RG3 needs to take a page from Marshawn Lynch handling of the media. Give them nothing and respond with Yea to everything. F**K the media. All they want to do is make headlines.

• renhoekk2 - Aug 21, 2015 at 9:20 AM

I love the conspiracy theories. How does it benefit Gruden to have his QB fail? If the QB fails the team fails. If the team fails the coach fails. If the coach fails he gets fired. Yes he will still get paid but it will probably be a long time, if ever, that he gets offered another head coaching job. But if Griffin succeeds and the team wins Gruden keeps his job and gets a bigger contract down the line. Which one do you REALLY think Gruden or any other coach wants. I have NO DOUBT you probably thought Shanahan was trying to set Griffin up to fail as well. I’m sure Shanahan is enjoying getting passed over for Head Coaching jobs instead of getting a huge second contract from Snyder.

• bangkokben - Aug 21, 2015 at 10:08 AM

This is spot on. The only issue I have is not playing Scherff and Griffin (in the first pre-season game) against the twos. Both of these guys need the work. I doubt the offense runs any better with McCoy behind Scherff against Suh and company. And if Cousins starts behind Scherff against Miami, the offense will only be less tragic not any better. I doubt it produces in the passing game but Cousins would’ve thrown some passes away and avoided the big hit.

• ET - Aug 21, 2015 at 12:46 PM

“And if Cousins starts behind Scherff against Miami, the offense will only be less tragic not any better. “

While this observation does not make me happy, it is likely accurate. Though I do hold out some hope that the Skins can get some semblance of a run game established against teams with a stiffer pash rush and/or stout DL play, the jury is still out—regardless of QB.

• Alisa the Doula - Aug 21, 2015 at 11:50 AM

Lot’s of people do things against their own self interest.
        And Shanny did not try to sabatoge Griffin on the field… but he did do some shady stuff in the media that ammounted to as much off the field.

• wncskinsfan - Aug 21, 2015 at 4:27 PM

exactly. these guys just want one thing. to win.

2. Skulb - Aug 21, 2015 at 7:17 AM

I thought Matt Jones played very well also. Obviously he was already in a good spot so maybe he just confirmed his position as #2 RB. But him and Thompson sure look like they might give Alf a run for his money this season. I also thought Francois and Spaight did well on defense.

• Skulb - Aug 21, 2015 at 7:36 AM

Also Roberts had a nice game. I have criticized him a lot for his return game in the past but he got a nice one in this game and looked ready to play.

• austrianhttrfan - Aug 21, 2015 at 9:26 AM

I wouldn´t say Roberts had a good game…he again didn´t catch a ball coming his way…and for 16 mil, I expect him to catch every damn single ball as number 3….

• Skulb - Aug 21, 2015 at 12:30 PM

I guess that´s true. But still he managed to be bad last year while making lots of money and now he´s doing his job while making lots of money. Any progress is good progress I think. We are talking about the Washington Redskins here.

3. skinsgame - Aug 21, 2015 at 7:29 AM

Whatever Adam Heyward was ever going to do in maroon and yellow, I guess he’s done it. Spaight just saw his stock go way up when Heyward went down.

• bangkokben - Aug 21, 2015 at 10:09 AM

Both were going to make the team for different reasons. Now there is a place for someone else.

4. 214hof - Aug 21, 2015 at 7:32 AM

I thought Jackson Jeffcoat helped himself as well. There hasn’t been much coverage on him good or bad to this point. All he’s done is ball in the limited snaps he had at the end of last year and carrying over to this preseason.

• ET - Aug 21, 2015 at 8:52 AM

Jeffcoat is one of those gamers who always seems to produce when he’s on the field. The numbers may work against him this year, but he’s a good player.

• skins26portis - Aug 22, 2015 at 3:00 AM

Jeffcoat needs to make the roster. All he does is make plays when he gets on the field.

• abanig - Aug 22, 2015 at 5:06 AM

With Hayward out, I definitely want Jeffcoat to make the team, even over Bates. Bates can go on the practice squad IMO, for all we know Bates is the next Gabe Miller, a try hard guy who plays well against 2nd and 3rd team guys but when he has to go against the nfl’s best he’s not good enough.

Guys like Jeffcoat, Akeem Davis and Trenton Robinson should make it over Bates imho, they all have NFL experience and have proven they can make some plays on special teams and on defense of their # is called.

• 214hof - Aug 22, 2015 at 6:48 AM

I agree with you abanig, I’m pulling for all those guys.

5. Stephfan - Aug 21, 2015 at 7:34 AM

I will say that the game calling does seem to change. Why is it that colt or Kirk get more pistol or designed run but griffin has to stand in the pocket and get wreaked… Even the guy from epsn (John) said so. Some of the fault is griffin but a Large part is the offensive line. Stock up Dunbar, he is looking ok as a cb. I think jerron will take over at free safety once gholdston leaves.. Duke wind the competition I think. But stock up is Lockett. Amerson fid play bad either and needed to be out there. Preston did ok, didn’t make a lot of plays but was active. Stock down the starting o line. Stock up Hamm

• skins26portis - Aug 22, 2015 at 3:07 AM

Redskins players stock up:
      Up WR Ross. RB Trey Williams, RB Matt Jones, WR/CB Dunbar, OLB Jeffcoat, MLB Spaight, CB Rogers, OLB Bates
      Down: LT Willie Smith , RT Moses, RG Brandon S. TE Jordan R. ( always hurt) WR Andre Roberts average WR drops to many balls. can be replaced with WR Ross , Crowder.

6. cowboyhater - Aug 21, 2015 at 7:45 AM

Game plan?…..What game plan?…It’s preseason folks. Yes Griffin was pressured, and took a lot of hits but if you are a person who knows football, and can actually look at it from a analytical viewpoint and not just a fan viewpoint then you can see Griffin is just not comfortable in reading downfield and cannot trust his receivers. Were some of those sacks the lines fault..yes..but Griffin needs to start getting rid of the football faster. He is still thinking too much, and still does not trust his receivers to be in the right spot or he just doesn’t know where to go with the ball. If you watched Colt or Cousins…they immediately got rid of the ball and actually threw the receivers open. Griffin sits in the pocket and holds the ball until he sees something. Did you see Cousins drop back, then run out of the pocket (unscripted by the way) and MAKE A PLAY!! I’m beginning to see the same Griffin from last year. Holds on to the ball, cannot see the defense, ball security, and cannot take hits. So everyone who complains that Cousins is playing the 2nd string, or 3rd string I would suggest to let him play with the 1st team and see what happens. Guarantee you will get a different result. Also, just to let you know…I want to see Griffin succeed but when do we finally come to the conclusion that he just cannot play at this level? I’m beginning to have my doubts.

• Alisa the Doula - Aug 21, 2015 at 7:54 AM

What you’re saying is not wrong at all. We’ve seen him dominate he league… Yet Gruden has never thought about using his strengths. He puts him under center and calls 5 step drops for him to get killed, or uses an empty set. C’mon man.

RG3 has been the worst QB in the league for 2 years. But that does not excuse what Gruden is doing to him.

• abanig - Aug 21, 2015 at 8:31 AM

I agree. There are certain things that should be obvious to everyone.

1. When Griffin is in the game Gruden never calls a read option, a bootleg nor does he move the pocket for Griffin.

When McCoy & Cousins are in the game he constantly does these plays for them. The offense looks how it should look when they’re in. The first play McCoy had was a bootleg – where’s that play for Griffin? Then he called a short pass to the left, where’s that play for Griffin?

On the flip side on a few of the plays where Griffin was smoked he had open receivers I front of him but he didn’t see them right away and held onto the ball too long. He was late on his completion to Garçon which got Griffin rocked, but if he got the pass off before Garçon turned around, Griffin doesn’t get touched. On the play where the SS rocked Griffin – which should have been a penalty for roughing IMO – Griffin should have saw the blitzer and gotten that ball off sooner to his outlet. Then, on the play where Griffin decided he needed to run, fumbled, recovered it and then got the concussion, Griffin had a receiver open on the right and Chris Thompson was open right in front of him. Griffin has to see that is was so obvious! It was an easy play! Griffin needs to get that ball out, if he did, Thompson had no one around him and Thompson may have been able to pick up the 12 yards they needed for the first down.

The OL definitely needs to play better, but on a few of those plays where Griffin got hit, he needs to make quicker decisions and get the ball out. He needs to make the defense pay for blitzing the SS or a LB. he has to get that ball out quickly and let his playmakers get up field for 10+ yard gains which they would have done because of the voids the defense left with their blitzes. Griffin still isn’t seeing the field well. He has some open WRs for 5 & 10 yard completions. He needs to complete them, take those small gains and wait to hit the deeper passes after he’s completed a few quick hitters, like McCoy and Cousins are doing.

• ET - Aug 21, 2015 at 9:00 AM

Griffin’s poor decision-making under pressure stood out for me. That said, his protection was piss poor last night. Any of the QBs would’ve struggled against the Lions’ starting DL with Smith at LT.

• Alisa the Doula - Aug 21, 2015 at 9:26 AM

Abanig is spot on. Great comment. Both Gruden and Griffin deserve blame. I just think Gruden is an immoral ahole for doing what he is doing to RG3 in terms of the play calling. He’s a terrible coach no matter how you slice it, he should be fired immediately. A 19 year old with 12 years of Madden experience would design a much better offense.

• brucefan1 - Aug 21, 2015 at 10:41 AM

I gotta agree with abanig too, especially about the part where Gruden ran roll-outs and read-option plays that Griffin made his bones with in ’12 to great success— WITH McCOY!! Haha

Griffin got none of those plays while out there (Could Gru have thought after that carnage, “Shoot — I’m gonna get someone else killed too if I don’t switch it up?! Haha)

And when McCoy takes off and scrambles he’s the God of Spontenaity … “What impeccable instincts! Brilliant!”. But if Griffin does it it’s, “He’s gonna get himself killed!” Or “Couldn’t the bum find an open receiver?!”

And of course it helped the offense immensely that the running game started to dominate, taking the pressure of the passing game. (This ain’t an excuse folks, it’s a justifiable, concrete NFL axiom.)

And all these comments about missing open receivers (I missed them too, despite replaying my recording over & over!) or not reading the defense properl; Hellk, no one coulda stood up to that rush in the first quarter (CERTAINLY not the Redskins O-Line!).

There is ZERO denying on my part that Griffin looked bad out there last night, but put McCoy back there, put Cousin Kirk — put BRADY back there! LOL — and spring THAT rush on them, imho you’ll get similar results. (I also agree with abanig that at least one if those hits coulda been roughing the passer. A very similar one was called on a hit on Colt.)

It’s just one double standard after another around here. (Looks like the Skins F.O. doesn’t have that same double standard, tho; they’ve analysized what happened last night and named Griffin the starter next week – pending his health)

The fumbles though WERE a huge problem, though (although Colt had an almost devastating one, too). That has to change. Being a fumble machine could lose a QB his job all by itself.

Once again I say may the best QB, as determined by the brain trust, win the job. Sure I kinda hope it’s Griffin — cuz I feel the Skins invested have too much on him to give up too soon (and what about the value of my McFarlane RG3 figurines??!!).

I just gotta major beef who pick & choose ONLY stuff they like to make their arguments. But admittedly, I am starting to feel like voice of one, crying in the wilderness on this topic. Gotta laugh!

• bangkokben - Aug 21, 2015 at 11:36 AM

bruce and abanig,

if you haven’t seen this yet, it’s a good read.

• wncskinsfan - Aug 21, 2015 at 4:35 PM

the thing is Griffin doesnt want to play using his legs anymore. yes, it made for a great rookie year (til teams had the summer to watch tape and figure it out – the league adjusts fast). He flat out wants to be a pocket passer. It cost shanny his job. He is getting what he wanted. He wants to develop as a pocket passer, ok, do it. Its all about what Grif wants, it seems. I don;t see anything immoral about play calling. I think Grif is just not going to happen in the pocket. so fine, get him running again. It will bbe lights out soon enough, everybody knows it, including Grif.

• skins26portis - Aug 22, 2015 at 3:50 AM

RG3 can run when the play breaks down or when he has to run for his life. He just has to run to keep the chains moving and get sown before the defender gets to him . Griffin will never just be a pocket passer because he is a dual threat QB. He can be more like Russell Wilson just don’t turn the ball over and make the throws when a WR is open. If no one is open run for as many yards as possible and get down. Or just throw the ball away.

• austrianhttrfan - Aug 21, 2015 at 8:15 AM

I don´t agree with you completly, I agree with you that Griffin holds on to the ball to long, in general, especially last season, but yesterdays game, the pressure came just to fast, it was not him in general hesitating to much, but it was the pressure which led to this situations.

It was a bad game…I just hope Trent will never get hurt, because Smith was poor frustration to watch..

• renhoekk2 - Aug 21, 2015 at 9:44 AM

Griffin can’t “feel” pressure. You also rarely if ever see him step up or slide in the pocket. He either steps back deeper, which puts him under more pressure because the OTs often are pushing the edge rushers further back that way, or he does his spin move and starts running. Cousins moves in the pocket the best of the three. That’s one of the reasons he took far fewer sacks last season than Griffin or McCoy.

• Stephfan - Aug 21, 2015 at 8:42 AM

To cowboy hater didn’t cousins start last year and how many games did he win? I’ll wait

• Alisa the Doula - Aug 21, 2015 at 9:27 AM

Cousins won 0 games as a starter. In effect he won the Jax game. He started the Titans game but was benched for Colt.

• warpath1 - Aug 21, 2015 at 9:14 AM

the only person I saw calling the plays was McVeah. besides, what makes you think the qbs arent getting the same plays, they are just getting executed better by colt and kirk. to not consider that is to just be one sided

• abanig - Aug 21, 2015 at 11:59 AM

Not true! How many bootlegs did they run for Griffin? Did they move the pocket? Did they call any pistol formation, any play action pass, any read option play actin? No! They did so those plays for Cousins and McCoy the last two games.

I’m sorry to do this but I must call this a sabatoge job. I really don’t think Gruden wants Griffin to succeed. I think he’s purposely not calling plays that he thinks Griffin will succeed at. I didn’t want to believe that last year but when the other qbs get in the game and they get plays called for them that Griffin is great at running and executing but Griffin didn’t get those plays called for him, what else is there to think?

• Skulb - Aug 21, 2015 at 12:20 PM

You´re a rude, obscene person so I´m not waiting any more time arguing with you. So I´m just gonna restrict myself to a loud “TINFOIL HAT!” exclamation. It´s all evil illuminati Gruden who´s to blame and Griffin is secretly the best QB in the league! Isn´t it obvious!?!

• brucefan1 - Aug 21, 2015 at 3:30 PM

You are as usual abanig spot on!

That’s because you are very obviously righteous, fair-minded, deep-thinking, polite — a gentleman and a scholar!

Actually that doesn’t go far enough; I can tell merely from your comments that you are noble in reason, not to mention infinite in faculty — the wonder of the world — the PARAGON of animals! :^}

And you’re obviously the kind of courageous soul who would never let someone’s little HISSY FIT keep you from saying what you have to say. Hehe…

(And believe me, there are those in the media who are asking the exact thing that you suspect. Here’s ONE: “ ‘It was quarterback abuse at its ugliest,’ wrote Washington Post’s Jerry Brewer on Friday.” Btw, Jerry’s a new guy to DC. He doesn’t seem to get the Griffin-hate in much of the media.)

I for one would gladly exchange ideas with you any time! LOL

• skins26portis - Aug 22, 2015 at 3:56 AM

I must admit the last 2 games Colt and Kurt have been getting more of the bootleg and playaction pass calls. They both also have ran the read option in both preseason games. I don’t know if they are just working to see if RG3 can stay in the pocket with the plays being called for him. I have notice that they have using 2 different playbooks when Kurt and Colt have played. Is this by design ? Who knows the answer but only the coaching staff. They better get Trent Williams back healthy for starters and keep working with the right side of the O-Line or the QB will suffer.

7. mr.moneylover - Aug 21, 2015 at 8:06 AM

Jay gruden as head coach stock down….if rg3 is your starter theres no way you put your starting QB in harms way especially if your O-line is struggling to protect and if im scot m. Im pissed at jay gruden….they called rollouts and read option plays for kirk cousins and colt mccoy but they have rg3 sit in the pocket and get punish the way he did…scot m. Gave rg3 a pep talk before the game but I think jay gruden dont like rg3 and dont care about rg3 because theres no way you put a starter in that postion to get hurt in a pre-season game

• kenlinkins - Aug 21, 2015 at 8:32 AM

I am not a “tin hat” guy but once the head coach saw the LT getting beat like a rented mule and the rookies having problems on the other side, why keep making RG3 a sitting duck with shot gun drops? What was gained, what adjustments were made, what was called to slow the pass rush (3 runs, then 5 pass plays, then R-flag-R, then Bang Bang your starting QB is down!) Where were the draws, the screens, the bubble screens from under center to slow the rush, the TE chip on the DE/OLB, ANYTHING to slow the rush. I understand that RG3 needs the work from the pocket but if your QB have been targeted and has taken damage you find a way to hide him! I do not know what is wrong there, but it is clear Something is not right!

• mr.moneylover - Aug 21, 2015 at 9:16 AM

I totally agree something not right with rg3 and jay gruden…different plays called with kirk cousins and colt mccoy….the big thing is rg3 gonna miss practice reps and playing reps witch is huge…if im scot m. Im calling a meeting with jay gruden to get down to the bottom of it…NO adjustments was made to protect rg3 better and thats a bad sign because jay gruden struggle to make adjustments last year thats why we was 4-12….he cant hold his assistant coaches/coordinators accountable but he calls out the players who struggle now you tell me what type of coach is that

• Alisa the Doula - Aug 21, 2015 at 9:33 AM

If I’m Scot I fire Jay today. He’s trying to sabatoge your plan as GM before it even gets off the ground. Plus he’s a terrible coach regardless. He literally sucks at every single part of being an NFL head coach. Going from a guy who sucked at clock management, timeout management, and challenges to a guy who just sucks at everything is not fun to watch. FIRE GRUDEN!!!

• Skulb - Aug 21, 2015 at 12:23 PM

@ Alisa the Crazy Person

Cut Griffin!

• skins26portis - Aug 22, 2015 at 3:59 AM

Well said. Jay Gruden better get his shit together or this will be his last rodeo no matter what happens to RG3. #dumbcoachesget fired.

• Alisa the Doula - Aug 21, 2015 at 9:30 AM

Gruden is trying to get RG3 hurt and trying to make him fail. If he’s not doing it overtly (which I might even argue) then something in his subconscious is making him do it.

He and McVay suck a bag of…

• Skulb - Aug 21, 2015 at 12:33 PM

You´re just completely off the wall. Anything to avoid taking account of the fact that Griffin has lost all his confidence and has no business starting NFL games right now. Whatever you tell him to do he will manage to fail at. That´s the reality here. When the complexion of the game chances the moment Colt and Kirk comes on it is exclusively because they are actual NFL quarterbacks who are able to do simple things, and not because of some secret, unconscious coach conspiracy. He blows. It´s just that simple.

• Stephfan - Aug 21, 2015 at 1:17 PM

Skulb all you do is talk? Let’s see you get behind a line and do better

• Skulb - Aug 21, 2015 at 1:21 PM

So that´s you argument now? That Griffin is better than skulb and therefore should start football games in the NFL? I have a better idea: let´s replace him with one of the five QBs who played better than he did last night, or one of the six QBs who played better than him last week:

He´s not mediocre. He´s plain bad. Blame anyone you like: with stats like these you do not retain a starting job as QB in the NFL.Even if it´s all Evil Gruden´s fault, which is the contention of some of the more confused posters here, he´ll still lose his job. It´s unsustainable with a 1,6 yard average for a starting QB in the NFL, whether you´d like to hear it or not.

• Stephfan - Aug 21, 2015 at 1:24 PM

Trust me I’m not comparing at all they’d no contest but all I’m saying is you talk so much trash like cousins and colt are really that much better? How many games did either of them win last year combined 2? Hell Kirk has only one win to his name in 4 years but he is better? All I’m saying is since griffin is so bad which by the way the line was worse. Let’s see u do better

• Skulb - Aug 21, 2015 at 1:30 PM

Indeed you can use stats for anything. I will repeat what I´ve said many times here before though that I`m not sold on either Cousins or McCoy as long term starters either. They have some stinkers between them too. But if you take the worst performance of either of them I´d take that over Griffin´s act any day. He literally has not played a good game since 2012. It´s not trash. It´s fact.

Right now I am watching individual performances: the purpose of PS games. And about the lamest performer on the team, jock strap washer included, has come from Griffin. He is quite frankly abysmal right now: Shockingly incompetent.An impostor who has beamed the real RGIII up to the mothership for rectal probing. Do I need to go on?

If they start this guy as QB my 6-10 prediction goes down to 3-13. That´s how bad he´s been. I wish I could say otherwise but I never lie, whatever else you might say about me.

8. kenlinkins - Aug 21, 2015 at 8:09 AM

DOWN: Baker (1 tackle – 2 flags) DOWN: Kouandjio (two flags) DOWN: Hayward (injury again )DOWN: Plummer (beat on TD pass -1 tackle) DOWN: RG3 (not all QB problems were result of poor line play). DOWN: Special Teams (in general not good).
    UP: P Smith (keeping guy off his body) UP: Dunbar (still improving) UP: Spaight (always near the ball) UP: Kory L. (playing much better) UP: Trey Williams, C. Thomas (great battle for one RB spot). UP C-Smith & Rogers (both CB’s looked much improved) UP: Everyone playing SS/FS (all are driving on the ball, near the ball, tackling better) UP: Pass Rush (not great but improved, forcing early throws). After the first quarter there was a lot to like from young guys who seem to be learning and gaining on many of the so called “locks” to make the team! The most improved area to date is the DB’s in general terms.

• ET - Aug 21, 2015 at 9:11 AM

Rogers and Cromartie-Smith both had good nights. Cromartie-Smith is an intriguing guy because he’s big and physical, the kind of CB Scot is known to like. Hats off to Spaight and Jeffcoat as well. They have a real nose for where the play is going (I’d put Jarrett in that category, too)—football smarts that can be learned to some degree, but Spaight, Jeffcoat and Jarrett seemed to be naturally gifted with it.

• skins26portis - Aug 22, 2015 at 4:01 AM

Good observations my friend.

9. austrianhttrfan - Aug 21, 2015 at 8:12 AM

For me…I wouldn´t put Scherff on the list, because it was one play that was really bad, other then that he looked average IMO.
    But if we take one play into consideration…Jeff Jecoatt, he has talent IMO.
    Other then that:
    UP: Jeron Johnson and Dunbar

Rich, do you see any chance that Dunbar makes the roster? He looks like a talent on this position, even if against 2/3 stringers

• abanig - Aug 21, 2015 at 8:20 AM

Jerron Johnson blew a tackle on a RB right in the hole which led to the RB getting a 30 yard gain. I think the play was called back for holding on the Lions RG but still, it was a horrible tackling effort.

For me, Duke has won this job. Duke & Goldson were flying around and making hits on wrs, TEs and sprinting to the line of scrimmage to hit running backs. Offenses are going to be scared of our safeties this year. They are both big and physical and the playmakers know that they were there after they were hit. I loved seeing them play.

• berniebernard666 - Aug 21, 2015 at 9:08 AM

not to make excuses for Jerron Johnson but he has been injured and not practicing as much and didn’t play last week so this was his first real opportunity to play. He also DID make a blowup tackle earlier in the game. He really smacked a receiver after a catch. So I wouldn’t worry about Johnson at this point.

• austrianhttrfan - Aug 21, 2015 at 9:29 AM

You are right, I forgot his missed tackle, I thought other then that he looked pretty good…like Bernie said…that laid one really nice hit, I think we have good depth at SS now…

10. abanig - Aug 21, 2015 at 8:16 AM

I think Matt Jones was a huge up!

Andre Roberts was an up – although on the one pass to the sidelines that Griffin threw it did hit his hands and he probably should have caught it, if he did, it would have been a first down. He also had a really nice punt return showing off the wheels we saw last preseason and early on last season before he became a non factor as a return man.

Chris Thompson made some nice plays and had a touchdown saving tackle before the half after Colt McCoy fumbled at the 5 yard line. He really showed a lot of hustle on the play. It’s a tough decision on who to cut between Thompson and Trey Williams. I’m thinking they keep Thompson as the 3rd RB and put Trey Williams on the practice squad.

Other than that one fumble before the half, McCoy was an up as was Cousins late in the game.

It appeared to me that Morgan Moses played pretty well, were any of the hits that Griffin took because of Moses missing a block or getting beat? It didn’t appear so to me. It seemed to me that most of the pressure was coming from Ziggy Ansah past Willie Smith – who played awful – and up the middle past our guards, Scherff & Lauvao.

I thought Jackson Jeffcoat really played well for the second week in a row. He, Bates and Akeem Davis are in a battle now to make the team IMO. With Hayward getting injured that opens up another roster spot for a special teammer. IMO you keep Akeem Davis & Jackson Jeffcoat on the 53 man roster and Houston Bates goes to the practice squad.

The special teams was much better this game in all areas, we even saw a few of Forbath’s kick offs into the endzone and the coverage was spectacular on both kick offs and punts. A big improvement over last week when our coverage units had a few break downs.

• ET - Aug 21, 2015 at 9:18 AM

I don’t think it’s a tough call between Thompson and Williams. Thompson has managed to put it all together this year: his running / field vision has improved, he’s a good receiver out of the backfield, and most importantly, his blocking / pass protection has become significantly better. Williams is an intriging back, to be sure, but he’s simply not in the same place as Thompson in any of these areas (IMO).

• bangkokben - Aug 21, 2015 at 10:47 AM

Agreed. Williams is trying to make the case for keeping an extra back. The starting o-line is also making a case for more running backs as well.

• Skulb - Aug 21, 2015 at 12:37 PM

For a change I agree with everything you´re saying. The RB position just became a lot more contested in my mind. Jones in particular is just off to a great start in Washington, and if anything he´s better than Morris right now. I also noticed the improvement on ST, which was very promising.

• bangkokben - Aug 21, 2015 at 12:55 PM

Jones better than Morris???!! Don’t let the context of the game cloud your judgement; let alone an incredibly small sample size. Jones behind the 1st team o-line against the Lions 1st & 2nd teamers (Griffin’s fourth drive was against the 2nd team) didn’t fare any better than Morris and if he did – which didn’t happen – it would’ve been in very limited action in a meaningless preseason game. What Jones has shown is that he has the potential to be very good and perhaps replace Morris as the starter NEXT season. The context is also important for your provocative “Cut Griffin!” mantra. Is Cousins a better pocket QB than Griffin? Yes. Is McCoy a better pocket passer than Griffin? Perhaps, I doubt it. Is Gruden running boots and read-options with McCoy and Cousins? Yes. With Griffin? Not last night. Is it because the coach is trying to sabotage Griffin? No. Why, then? Because Griffin needs work in the pocket. Why, then is Gruden running boots and read-option with the others? Because that is the offense the team will run and he needs those guys ready in case Griffin is injured?

• Skulb - Aug 21, 2015 at 1:09 PM

I did specify “if anything”. Be fair here. Still, there´s something about the way Jones keeps breaking tackles and finding the right cuts that really has me sold here.
          Also, my “cut Griffin” comment is not a mantra but was a response to someone who, predictably, tried to blame Griffin´s woes on Gruden. And I do think that cutting Griffin would be a lot less disruptive right now than sacking Gruden. I also think most of his teammates would breathe a sigh of relief.
          As for who is good and not all I have is stats. Griffin went from a 70 qb rating last week to an embarrassing 46 this week. So once again the progression is from average to terrible, just like last year. Meanwhile McCoy and Cousins are well above 100, Cousins for the second week running. And yes stats aren´t everything, especially in the PS. But Griffin is just bad man. No ifs and or buts will change that. Even if it´s just Evil Gruden (Please imagine Sauron from the LotR movies here) why doesn´t Griffin just audible something better? It´s him out there taking the snap, not Gruden. Objectively speaking he could run the most crazy improv play out there, based on what he´s seeing and completely the opposite of what he gets told to do, and we´d all love him. And even the evil coaches would have to love it too if it happened, or at least pretend to love it, if we subscribe to the Evil Coach Theory of Redskins football analysis.
          But he just buckles over and gets sacked, never even looking downfield. Why doesn´t he manage to find a single outlet in four series? Really? Not a single TE in a bit of space in all those snaps? I`m not buying it.

• bangkokben - Aug 21, 2015 at 4:45 PM

Skulb, you’ve got your mind made up. That’s fine. We all may come to the same conclusion one day. As for now, I’m the teacher in primary school saying show me your maths work. You may have the right answer but the process isn’t right. Audibles? Not something scripted in the preseason. Improv? Tried and failed on his last play resulting in a fumble and injury. The fact that it tried it in that circumstance is indeed the biggest failure. Progress would’ve been hitting the check down and punting on 4th and 4.Buckles over and gets sacked? C’mon. Theses sacks occurred in less than two seconds. Could they been avoided? Perhaps but not by Griffin.

• Skulb - Aug 21, 2015 at 5:31 PM

They did not occur in less than two seconds. I always do my counts and they came at 2,5-3 seconds.An elite QB gets rid of the ball in 1,9 seconds and the top half of the league´s QBs within 2,5 seconds.
          It was too fast and the line was not good, but stick to the facts here. Griffin could, and should, have gotten the ball out on all of them except the blindsiding. I´ll give him a pass on that one.
          He just reacts very poorly to pressure and that hasn´t changed since last year. The defenses know this and try to hit him where he´s weak. The odds of him getting a successful pass off right now are about 50/50 statistically. And if you rattle him it drops even further.

The only mind I´ve made up is that I would like a proper QB on my football team. Whatever the reason is right now; the Evil Gruden and the Satanic Playcalling Conspiracy, a rotten offensive line or Griffin himself; the simple fact is that the offense just is not clicking at all while he is on the field. If you´re fine going into the season in that situation I´m happy for you. But I am not.

• Skulb - Aug 21, 2015 at 5:50 PM

Oh and yes, on one of the sacks, which I have privately dubbed the Steve Martin Slapstick play, Griffin took the snap and then advanced until he got himself stuck in Scherff´s buttocks. He then took a half step to the left and sort of wedged himself between Scherff and Cory, before capping the performance with a clumsy backtrack before taking the sack. Hands up all those who think this is how McVay drew that play up for them before the game!
          If this was indeed how that play was designed then yes, audible. Audible all day long! Just anything but this guys, hut hut! Collective improv would have had a better chance of success that the Steve Martin Slapstick play.

Again, we can debate this all day long. But this offense is simply pathetic with Griffin in charge. 8 yards last night in the first quarter. Eight!!!! That´s a game tempo of 32 offensive yards. I mean it´s almost like the Michael Oher movie, except that instead of Sandra Bullock taking the field to help him Griffin gets a concussion and is replaced.

I would settle for average. I am getting parody. And enough is enough here. He can not play like this and still start games in 2015. Even Geno Smith looks like a champ in comparison.

• abanig - Aug 21, 2015 at 6:04 PM

There’s a difference between going against the Lions top 11 defenders and going against back ups who won’t start unless there are injury and a bunch of other guys who won’t make the team.

I know you must know that.

If Griffin wasn’t the starter and was the 3rd qb in the game in either of these games he’d put up near identical stats to what Colt & Kirk have.

If Morris was playing against those back ups, he’d be tearing it up more than Jones and would get 100 yards in the second half.

The truth is at the moment the Redskins don’t have a definite top half of the league starter on their roster. If any of the three had to start last night or the week before I don’t believe they would have played that much better than Griffin did. The Redskins have 3 guys who are good back ups right now but none of them have shown they should definitely be starting over the others at this point.

• Skulb - Aug 21, 2015 at 6:09 PM

I hear you saying this but it is apparently not the case with other starting QBs in the NFL, who are all playing better than their replacements in these PS games. Please think this argument through a bit. Regardless of who he has been playing Griffin has not been good. This is the level of opposition he will be facing every week. Are you happy with 8 offensive yards pr quarter because Griffin is playing starters and it´s hard?

And this is now the only argument you have as far as I can tell. Just go look at the stats for other teams man and you´ll see that it isn´t normal.Starters close to or above 100 is normal. Backups in the 60s and 70s is normal. Starters at 46 and backups at 155 is not normal.

Can you honestly tell me that you´re pleased with Griffin´s play so far in the PS games? Me I see two wins here, if that.

• abanig - Aug 21, 2015 at 9:01 PM

No I’m not happy with it, but it’s kind of odd to expect Griffin to play at a high level when his all pro left tackle doesn’t play, his pro bowl wr and his most favorite target dating back two years – Jordan Reed.

He played poorly, it was one game where they didn’t game plan, didn’t have 3 of their top 5 offensive players on the field and the defense ran a lot of blitzes that the redskins protection scheme wasn’t prepared for and neither was Griffin.

I guarantee that will be his worst quarter of the season.

• Skulb - Aug 21, 2015 at 9:38 PM

I didn´t see Trent coming on to block for McCoy and he did great anyway. It´s just one excuse after the other and only for Griffin. if COusins stinks it up you´re all up here telling us how it´s because he personally sucks. But Heaven forbid anyone criticizes the holy cow when he posts legendarily poor performances. Oh no! It´s Gruden. It´s the line. It´s Trent not being on. It´s the turf. It´s space aliens! But it´s never Griffin. he has no responsibility for making things work with what he´s got on the field.

Frankly it´s getting old. And your guarantee is fairly worthless. Although it´s obviously hard to do any worse than that quarter I fully expect repeat performances.

• abanig - Aug 21, 2015 at 9:49 PM

Dude seriously, I didn’t see Ziggy Ansah & DeAndre Levy playing when McCoy and Cousins were in the game, did you?

Gruden, Redskins coaching staff to blame for injury to Robert Griffin III via @SInow

• Skulb - Aug 21, 2015 at 10:18 PM

Just clickbait and complete and utter nonsense, to quote a semi-famous Redskins commentator. What is really happening here is that griffin is being given the rookie treatment by every defense he goes up against because it´s a proven fact around the league that Griffin can´t deal with it.

What he needs to do when the defense keeps showing blitz after blitz after blitz is to call a TE or Young over and say “run a short post and get ready, I`m going to you!” and burn the defense on their aggression. It once is not enough pick another guy and repeat.Twice burned the defense will stay in coverage and Griffin will then get the 15 seconds he apparently needs to get a pass off.
          Did you see any sings of this on Thursday? I sure didn´t.

• abanig - Aug 21, 2015 at 11:03 PM

So, that’s not the offensive coaches responsibility??

Griffin does what the coaches tell him to. If the coaches saw their Qb getting killed you’d think they’d talk to the TEs, DY & Compton after the first series and say hey, we’re going to keep you guys in to give Robert more time in the pocket because our OL can’t handle the Lions first team DL.

Did that happen? No! Seems like a coaching issue to me, lack of adjustments on the sidelines after the qb is getting killed.

Frankly, I would have put Compton in at TE on the left side and had an extra blocker in there so they could handle the blitzes.

• Stephfan - Aug 22, 2015 at 1:24 AM

Skulb it was backups you maroon

• Skulb - Aug 22, 2015 at 8:54 AM

I have explained many times now why that is not a valid rationalization for Griffin´s terrible performances so I will not waste my time doing so again. You´re obviously not interested anyway.

11. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Aug 21, 2015 at 8:19 AM

The entire O.L. was incompetent and embarrassing against the Lions 1st string. It wasn’t just that one time with Scherff, the interior O.L. was constantly being pushed back. And it wasn’t just Willie Smith at T, Moses was not holding his blocks.

I can’t blame RGIII for a bad outing when there was no time at all to throw.

12. berniebernard666 - Aug 21, 2015 at 8:20 AM

my Gawd why do you people keep protecting Griffin??? Is it because you have to tow the company line or you won’t be allowed to enter Redskins Park??? Robert Griffin should be the FIRST name on that list of who is up and who is down. Doesn’t matter if you want to talk about ability/lack of ability or talk about his lack of ability to stay healthy. He has regressed and whether you’re talking about the past, present, or future he will never be able to stay healthy or make quick decisions.

• kenlinkins - Aug 21, 2015 at 8:42 AM

I am not saying to are wrong about RG3, but IMO you can not use last night as proof.

• Rob - Aug 21, 2015 at 9:58 AM

I agree with you Bernie. I’m a huge RGIII fan and I so want him to succeed, but bad oline play or not, he was awful. With all of the positive stuff that’s been coming out of camp this year about his improvement I was so excited that he might finally be getting back to something near his rookie season. But to me he looks as bad as last year and I can’t help but feel like maybe I was deluding myself into thinking he’ll ever be able to reclaim any of that magic we saw in 2012.
      I still say we need to give him a chance to start the season because of what the team has invested in him (and I did read where Robert said something to the affect that they’re not really running the offense that he’ll run during the regular season so as to not “show their hand”) but I’m not very optimistic, to be honest.

13. jim - Aug 21, 2015 at 8:37 AM

Is it possible that the play calling when Griffin was playing was vastly different than when Colt rnt rt ed the game?
    It really seemed to me that Gruden/McVey called more Griffin type plays AFTER Colt entered the game and why do that? Well Griffin had the media comments this week and honestly having played football through college it sure as hell seemed like it….kind a like Gruden/McVey were trying to prove a point or sending a message.
    I don’t know, but it feels like our Head Coach is a “bully” and already has demonstrated last season some in game play calling issues.
    It is ashamed the Redskins are more thought of as a CRAPPY TEAM, vs an elite team….and my son, who is 19yrs old, says the Redskins have pretty much been bad his whole life, and he is correct….Thanks Snyder for taking an Elite Team and turning it into a laughing stock, well done, this drama filled, not good team you created……man, what I would give up for another Mr Cooke and our GMS and our head coach back in the day, just to feel better about the Redskins outlook….just a better outlook….
    And I can’t believe I am saying this but it is true.
    Sorry state we are in and a complete change over had to happen to change this, so please keep duplication this year’s off season Mr. Scott GM, because it isn’t going to get better.
    From a very dedicated fan, who pretty much has seen enougj.

• Alisa the Doula - Aug 21, 2015 at 9:36 AM

Yes it’s possible. I think the majority of fans see it now. Gruden is like Kilmer (Varsity Blues) or another bad guy football coach in a movie. His behavior has become so ridiculous he’s literally a caricature at this point.

14. troylok - Aug 21, 2015 at 9:07 AM

UP – I think Compton is doing a good job filling in as the blocking tight end. It seems like they are leaning toward keeping him as a hybrid tight end / tackle which I think is a smart move.

DOWN – RG3 – I’m off the bandwagon. He’s just not good and I think he’s lost this team. I mean, last week, would Garcon have caught that ball if it had been thrown by Cousins or McCoy? Did it seem like the OL missed fewer blocks after RG3 was out? I am not saying players intentionally set RG3 up, but there is something to playing harder for the brown bagger at QB versus the anointed one.

• warpath1 - Aug 21, 2015 at 9:32 AM

unfortunatly i agree with you about rg3, but I have a problem with thinking that the team would sabotage him. Garcons dropped pass made him look bad not rg3. Rookie offense line got beat by veterans, yeh that sounds right. coaches calling plays to intentionally make rg3 look bad, ridiculous

• bangkokben - Aug 21, 2015 at 10:52 AM

The o-line blocked better when he left BECAUSE THEY WERE DIFFERENT going up against different competition. Scherff needs to be working against the twos because he needs work.

• ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Aug 21, 2015 at 11:53 AM

Our OL was horrible against the Lions starting front. Of course, they do have a good one…as do the Dolphins we’ll face week one.

• bangkokben - Aug 21, 2015 at 12:13 PM

And the Rams in week two. It could get pear shaped quickly if it doesn’t get fixed. Trent Williams fixes one issue. Hopefully Scherff learns fast. He can’t wait for contact to anchor; he’s got to initiate contact then anchor and the o-line has to create positive yards on 1st down.

15. obxskins - Aug 21, 2015 at 9:15 AM

Who is calling plays? McVay or Gruden? I thought McVay was OC, does that not mean he is calling plays? Ol got beat like a drum with starters in, PERIOD. Did like how I saw the starting safeties flying around….saw alot of poor think the depth as a whole is better for us but we still have a little ways to go for our starters…we are on the right path but not sure how much patience we fans will have with the plan..we need to be patience though because it is obvious talent is being brought in.

16. berniebernard666 - Aug 21, 2015 at 9:17 AM

the GOOD news. They flat out STUFF the run. This Defense will be #1 in Run Defense.

Now the bad news. This team hasn’t been able to stop the Pass in the first half. I believe that Jim Haslett has been retained and is consulting the Defense because I continue to see 10 yard cushions on wide receivers. The Redskins do not need to hide Jim Haslett, just allow him to come down to the sidelines with Joe Barry now that we all know Haz is consulting.

The other bad news: the Redskins don’t need to order more tackling dummies……they ARE tackling dummies.

• Alisa the Doula - Aug 21, 2015 at 9:38 AM

Ha… the dreaded 10 yard cushion. I noted that as well.

• redskinscaio - Aug 21, 2015 at 10:34 AM

My blood boils when I see corners playing 10 yards off the receiver! It’s so infuriating. AAARGH. IT also happened during the Lions first TD pass. It’s goal to go from the 6 and you’re giving the receivers a six yard cushion?! AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

• bangkokben - Aug 21, 2015 at 10:57 AM

The Haz comment is funny but there is no need to read too much into either point about the defense. Once Kerrigan and Galette play let’s see how well we stop the run and let’s see how well we defend the pass. Those cushions might help get turnovers or they might not be there at all.

17. mr.moneylover - Aug 21, 2015 at 9:28 AM

Ppl just wanna blame rg3 but you gotta blame head coach as well….after the first two series adjustments were suppose to be made and jay gruden still showed he cant make adjustments to get his offense going…in 2012 when redskins went on there 7 game win streak we always went into to half trailing by seven or more then mike s. will make adjustments during the half that will give the redskins a chance to win the game I havent seen no adjustments from jay gruden to give redskins a chance to win

• warpath1 - Aug 21, 2015 at 9:33 AM

gruden wasnt calling the plays

• Alisa the Doula - Aug 21, 2015 at 9:41 AM

Gruden is not removed from the play calling in the way you suggest. He designs the gameplan pre-game, is in charge of in game adjustments, calls run v pass, and signs off on the play. Don’t act like he’s out there collecting towels like an intern.
        Yes McVay calls the pass plays, and McVay sucks too. Both of them should be gone tomorrow, but hopefully I won’t have to see their stupid faces next year.

• warpath1 - Aug 21, 2015 at 9:52 AM

i dont think you even watched the game

• Alisa the Doula - Aug 21, 2015 at 11:56 AM

I watched ever snap. Again what the hell do you think Gruden is doing? Twiddling his thumbs? Listening to 980 on his headset? You are ignorant even for an internet poster.

• Skulb - Aug 21, 2015 at 12:58 PM

What warpath said + Griffin doesn´t make anything out of what he faces and that´s his fault, not Gruden or McVay`s. He hunkers down and waits for sacks again and it´s pathetic. The reason he gets rushed so much is that the opponent knows he´s not gonna be able to get rid of the ball in time. All they have to do is square off on him and he´ll collapse into a quivering ball, and they all know it. And we´re two seasons into this pointless experiment now. I`ve held off on saying it but after 1,6 yard average in this game; a hugely important one for Griffin to stay relevant; I will: Griffin needs to be cut right now! He´s the one guy who above all others has no legitimate position on this team and who consistently never performs. And it´s fairly obvious that nobody on the Redskins has any faith left in him at all either, from coaches to team mates. That´s why they call little league plays whenever he takes the field. And he can´t even do that.

Cousins should be the starter out of the gates, unless McCoy can oust him. I would not mind it if Griffin doesn´t suit up at all in 2015. I´m just done waiting for him to even achieve competence here. My demand is average and Griffin isn´t even close.

• Stephfan - Aug 21, 2015 at 1:20 PM

Skulb all you do is bash griffin.. If you were a gm or coach you’d be fired…

• Skulb - Aug 21, 2015 at 1:21 PM

Good thing I´m not a GM then. I hate having to move.

18. austrianhttrfan - Aug 21, 2015 at 9:31 AM

UP: Trenton Robinson…I think this kid can play and it would be good to have him on the roster (I think he is a lock anyway…)..

Looking for who is gonna be the new special teams demons….
    Plummer/Spaight/Akeem Davis?

• ET - Aug 21, 2015 at 1:20 PM

To be fair, Akeem is a well-established special teams demon. Not sure if he makes through final cuts, however, not with Jarrett and TRob playing so well. The loss of Hayward does mean there’s one more spot open for a hard hitter / special teams savant (and Davis certainly qualifies on both counts). Maybe Plummer or Bates sneaks on to shore up special teams? We’ll see.

19. coolestfrood - Aug 21, 2015 at 10:26 AM

If anyone is “out to get RG3” its the OLine (not Gruden). The play calls for RG3 were no different than the other QBs, but the blocking was TERRIBLE when RG3 was back there. Is it conspiracy to think the OLine is tried of RG3-All-About-Me??

20. redskinscaio - Aug 21, 2015 at 10:30 AM

There were a couple of plays where RGIII needed to just get rid of the ball. What I mean by that is, when he feels the pressure, just throw the ball away. If he was on his third read, but the guy was covered throw it anyway, throw it 10 yards short or to the side so it won’t be intercepted, just get it out….. Also, if you’re going to run with the ball, put two hands on it….wow. That fumble was ugly…It wouldn’t have happened if he just threw the ball away. Or just fall to the ground like Peyton does instead of getting hit…. The first unit offensive line looked terrible, absolutely terrible in pass protection. Wow. Sherff needs to get lower. He got man handled on a couple of pass plays.

But the good news is the Skins won. Undefeated baby!

Matt Jones looked great. I’m very impressed with his play so far. Two one-thousand-yard rushers this year???? I wish

21. mr.moneylover - Aug 21, 2015 at 10:34 AM

I think if rg3 dont start week 1 jay gruden will be fired at the end of the year….scot m. Most likely is pissed off by jay gruden decision making….going into the season with possibly two backup QB getting most the reps is not what scot m. Wanted…what happen if kirk cousins go up against bmore starting defense and struggle then what ??? Kirk cousins is only good against backups and when things going good if kirk cousins get sack or throw a INT thats your ball game redskins lose the game…kirk cousins is not capable of carrying a team to the playoffs hes not a franchise guy and it will be insane to try to force him into one…a backup QB will always look good against rookie backups

22. bharris757 - Aug 21, 2015 at 10:45 AM

Hey guys , for all you ppl that are saying it’s all on RG and not on the coach is ridiculous , I’m a high school football coach and even I know that the game is about ” adjustments and execution ”
    Jay gruden is clearly setting RG up to fail all bc of the he wants to be a “pocket passer” , thing is you can’t be a pocket passer if there’s no pocket , the whole world could see he din even have time for three step drops so what do you do if you don’t have time ? You move the pocket , play action ,roll outs , bootlegs . You even WR screen and RB screen them to death did he make the adjustments with the starting offense ?
    But Why when Colt McCoy come in , his second play was a play action pass ! McCoy and cousins bootlegging rolling out getting out the pocket , even cousins doing read options smh cousins and McCoy evaluation is invalid for the simple fact they playing against the 2’s 3’s and 4’s ppl that might not even make the opposing teams big difference than starting defenses so they are doin what they suppose too. I also visited some training camp practices and they clearly didn’t do anything during practices to take the starting spot at times they both struggle for that number 2 position (Rich even mentioned it a few times ) that’s why they are rotating with the twos in preseason
    And Yes Jay can do this bc his contract is longer than RG yes we picked up that fifth year option but it’s only guaranteed threw injury , so if jay keep setting RG up to fail , he can easily persuade the front office to move in another direction . Think about it

• bangkokben - Aug 21, 2015 at 11:14 AM

Cousins and McCoy are running the offense the team will use when the games count. If Griffin survives the preseason, he will be running those plays against Miami. For now, he’s working on the part of his game that needs work. Last night was a great opportunity for him to show better pocket awareness, better decision making (throw the ball away), and a chance to avoid the big hit. Unfortunately, he did not. I don’t think McCoy would have looked much different in the identical situation but Cousins would have likely avoided the big hit and moved better in the pocket (the 3rd down pass where Griffin was hit as he threw and the Lions thought he had fumbled.) I doubt the same passing plays would’ve yielded better results, but Cousins may have avoided some of the more tragic results. Gruden says Robert is still starter from whenever he is cleared to play.

• abanig - Aug 21, 2015 at 12:55 PM

Fair enough. I hope that’s right, but it didn’t play out they way last year.

• bangkokben - Aug 21, 2015 at 12:57 PM

Let’s start this year, fresh. The only way this is a sabotage is if he starts Cousins for performance reasons not injury reasons and without first team game reps for Cousins.

• Chris Knowles - Aug 21, 2015 at 3:15 PM

• abanig - Aug 21, 2015 at 11:06 PM

23. kenlinkins - Aug 21, 2015 at 10:59 AM

Rich: A lot of talk on here today about the Head Coach trying to “Set Up” RG3 for failure. Have you ever seen that in your years of reporting on the NFL?

• lorcanbonda - Aug 21, 2015 at 11:43 AM

I think that has to be a stretch. The head coach is trying to teach his quarterback to be a pocket passer first. I can understand that they want to accomplish as much as possible in preseason. This was just not the game to do it.

• ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Aug 21, 2015 at 11:54 AM

It makes ZERO sense.

If RGIII has a bad year, so do the Skins. Likely result is RGIII would not have his option picked up and Gruden gets fired.

• Rich Tandler - Aug 21, 2015 at 12:46 PM

It’s complete and utter nonsense.

• abanig - Aug 21, 2015 at 12:53 PM

Then why doesn’t Gruden call the plays that Griffin runs best?

They called no bootlegs, no moving of the pocket, no sprint right or sprint left where Griffin would only have a few reads on one side of the field, no read option, pistol or play action games!

What the hell is that all about? And this isn’t new! Gruden rarely called those plays for Griffin last year, but he did call them for Colt & Kirk.

• lorcanbonda - Aug 21, 2015 at 2:32 PM

Gruden did not call the plays because the goal for preseason is to give him experience as a drop back quarterback. It’s really simple.

It just looks bad in a game against those huge defensive linemen and a porous offensive line.

• wvredskins - Aug 21, 2015 at 3:01 PM

Think about it fella. What is RG’s strengths and what are his weaknesses? His strengths are rolling out and passing or bootlegging out to pass and scrambling by extending plays. His weaknesses are not being able to stay in the pocket and reading the defense and getting the ball out in a timely fashion. THOSE ARE THE THINGS HE NEEDS TO WORK ON TO IMPROVE HIS GAME. That is what Gruden wants him to improve on IMO and with it being preseason, this is the time to be working on the stuff that he needs to improve on.. . And plus if thats all he can do and not stay in the pocket and prove he can beat a team playing throwing from the pocket defenses are going to key in on the roll outs and bootlegs.

• kenlinkins - Aug 21, 2015 at 1:32 PM

I have to agree. While there maybe something not clicking between RG3 and HC Gruden, I am 100% sure the head coach is not trying to have RG3 fail.

• Alisa the Doula - Aug 21, 2015 at 4:13 PM

Rich for once you are wrong. There are clearly different play calls, and Gruden clearly has no interest in demonstrating let along actually gameplanning for RG3s strength. None of this alleviates the blame on Griffin not developing nearly enough. If you can recall (you get 10k messages a season so prolly not) I wrote a long message about how RG3 was becoming a 30 for 30 story before our very eyes after week 3 of the preseason last year.

But Gruden and McVay are coaching for Griffin to fail. Hook Gruden to a lie detector and you know what he’d say.

Saying something is complete and utter nonsense when there is real evidence is beneath you and everyone else capable of making a coherent argument. There is real evidence out there. Even Keim and Al Galdi have noted the playcalling. They see what 100s of thousands of us see.

• brucefan1 - Aug 21, 2015 at 6:27 PM

Haha! Rich calls the theory “complete and utter nonsense”. Me? I call the notion Balderdash … POPPYCOCK!!

Imho, it would be giving Gruden WAY to much credit to think that he could orchestrate a conspiracy like that one.

Dude probably couldn’t “orchestrate” his way outta a paper bag!

(Jk … jk … Jay’s cool … Jay’s cool. At least he USED TO BE cool — like when he was playing in the Arena League, maybe. Wasn’t he kinda cool then?)

24. Howard Lee Joyner - Aug 21, 2015 at 11:43 AM

I think the rookie matt Jones play Very good yesterday with lot power great burst of speed and down Hill runing keep Feeding him the rock he Will good runing back for the The Redskins he’s going to be the Rookie of the Year

25. lorcanbonda - Aug 21, 2015 at 11:45 AM

I thought there were a lot of “up” plays on defense. Justin Rogers looked good. So did Trenton Robinson. Even Amerson played pretty well. The bad was Jeron Johnson, Cromartie-Smith, and Murphy )should not be covering receivers.)

26. goback2rfk - Aug 21, 2015 at 11:56 AM

OK maybe they dont look as good as i thought

27. Chris Knowles - Aug 21, 2015 at 3:13 PM

Best analogy I have about Daniel Snyder, owner of the Washington Redskins.

He needed a great car to perform in a race. So to get the car he really wanted. He paid $2 million dollars for an amazing Lamborghini but it was only really worth $750k. It really is a great vehicle built for speed but must be driven by a driver who knows how to utilize its strengths and weaknesses. Now the first driver hired to handle the car, drives it to success and wins some big races. But unfortunately wrecks it at the end of the race season.

The next year the car is patched up but not totally fixed, yet still manages to put up good numbers. However it fails to perform like the previous year. The owner (Dan Snyder), then fires the driver and strangely hires a driver that only knows how to drive Toyota’s. And now another year has passed and the vehicle is in a much better working condition. Regardless, the new driver complains that it won’t drive right. He tries to force the Lamborghini to drive as if it was a Toyota. Instead of adapting to the strengths of the Lamborghini he runs the vehicle into the ditch. (…and maybe on purpose)

And the result of this is:
    Everyone says there must be something wrong with the car.

-The reality is that RGIII has a narrow skillset. It is narrow but he is very talented. Put in a system he’s comfortable in (like the same system still used for success in Seattle) he can succeed. Put in a different system and he’s uncomfortable and lost. The greatest controversy not talked about, is why they would spend all those draft picks on 1 player, only to force him to play in a system that he can’t succeed in. THIS IS COMPLETE IDIOCY TO ME. It’s a shame and it’s not his fault. His career may be ruined because of it and I don’t think Snyder has a clue that he undermined the very player he invested in so much. *Those who think RGIII has no accuracy need to only go back and watch the 2012 season when he played on instinct. Very few quarterbacks were ever as accurate. **And those who think defenses have figured out the “Read Option” need only to watch the Seattle Seahawks.

• Skulb - Aug 21, 2015 at 6:04 PM

Now this I can agree with. But it is too late to change the past now, two weeks before the season opener, and it is what it is. And right now I can not for the life of me see how Washington can succeed this year with Griffin when he, and the offense in general, is this wobbly. Maybe that isn´t the plan though, and the inevitably putrid performances this year will be used cynically to get rid of both Griffin and Gruden before 2016. But if that´s the case it´s so dirty I have trouble even responding to it, and I prefer to believe that they´re all trying to be as successful as possible. And that has to mean Kirk or Colt at QB. Not that we´re particularly likely to go to the Superbowl with either of them. But at least they seem somewhat capable of moving the offense.

People keep repeating that because the backups are playing backups etc the stats don´t matter. but you can go to BoxScore and look through all the PS games so far and it is almost always the case that the starting QB has the best stats. Occasionally it is a race between the starter and his bench warmer, but usually there´s a bit of a gap there. Now enter the Washington Redskins, where the starting QB has worse stats not only than his own two backups but all the opponent´s QBs as well. It is a complete anomaly which has now repeated itself twice in one week.

28. cowboyhater - Aug 21, 2015 at 3:14 PM

Wow!! To all the Griffin apologists that came at me…I see that no matter what happens everyone but Griffin will be at fault here (at least that is my perception from all the comments). As for those who are talking about Cousins wins or lack there of….let me know how many we got out of Griffin last year, and how productive of a passer he was. I’m here to speak with all of the Griffin supporters who continually make excuses as to why he does this or why he doesn’t do that. What I do is watch the game, I don’t care about what play is called because as a QB you execute the play, and as a QB if you see that the defense is aligned to take away that play, then you call another one. What I do is look at the QB and how they execute a play. What I saw was Griffin mishandling a snap, fumbling at the line of scrimmage when no one touched him, not finding a receiver while in the pocket. I saw Cousins drop back on one play, stand there then on his own roll to the right and find a WR downfield. Griffin has every opportunity to do the same at anytime, but he just sits there like a sitting duck, and gets pummeled. I have a lot of respect for Griffin as a man of god, but this doesn’t mean it will translate into a good QB. Sorry folks, you can come at me all you want, but we saw this same preseason routine last year, and thought maybe it’s because it’s only preseason, but it’s looking like it’s not. He looks scared, and confused back there. Bottom line…we may not even have our future QB on this roster, so for all of us skins fans sake, we better hope one of these QB’s step up and play respectable football.

• Alisa the Doula - Aug 21, 2015 at 4:17 PM

How do you indict a man who had 2 semi-clean pockets all day? This is not the game for that.

• Skulb - Aug 21, 2015 at 6:12 PM

No haters here. Just people with eyes and an ability to count after the snap.

• cowboyhater - Aug 22, 2015 at 7:34 AM

Not a hater, just a fan who knows a little thing or two about this game……I can write an article just as this guy from ESPN that would justify my stance too….

• brucefan1 - Aug 22, 2015 at 8:54 AM

I, for one, would love to see that.

Please be sure to include all the pertinent, verifiable FACTS that any discerning reader would require in your article — because the report you’re disparaging (since it throws shade on your accusations, perhaps? Just guessing) is based strictly on facts, not opinions — unless, of course, you think its writer is making all this stuff up, just to support HIS own “misguided” opinion? ;^}

I will anxiously await your posting that article right here in this Comments section …. unless, as some skeptical few might suspect, you’re just an ineffectual blowhard who can’t back up his boasts?! (But I won’t be holding my breath while waiting for it. THAT could be deadly! LOL) Archives