Need to Know: Five Redskins who need good games against the Lions tonight

Aug 20, 2015, 6:42 AM EDT

Amerson-vs-Giants

Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, August 20, the day the Washington Redskins play the Detroit Lions at FedEx Field.

Five players who need to succeed against the Lions

Here are five players who need to have good games tonight against the Lions.

QB Robert Griffin III—I used to compile these lists and omit Griffin as being obvious. But got flack from the comments section so I’m including him now. He needs to be much better than he was in the second preseason game a year ago when he lost a fumble and threw an interception in three series against the Browns. The starting offense is now at four games and counting without a touchdown in the preseason and that skid needs to come to an end soon.

RB Trey Williams—It seems unlikely that he will make the Redskins team but he could land a spot on the practice squad or with another NFL team. But after gaining five yards on four carries last week he needs to have a breakout game. The Redskins or another team would be interested in him as a home run hitter but he can’t keep hitting singles. He should get some playing time this game to break loose. After tonight he’ll probably have to wait until the preseason finale on September 3.

S Jeron Johnson—He was brought in to be the starting strong safety but Duke Ihenacho gave him a run for his money in OTAs and minicamp. In training camp a hamstring injury cost Johnson the better part of a couple of weeks. If he is going to get the starting job he needs to start impressing now.

TE’s Je’Ron Hamm/Chase Dixon—The Redskins brought in a couple of free agent tight ends but they are still just learning the offense. Hamm and Dixon both spent most of last season on the Redskins practice squad and should have a handle on the system. This will be their big chance to show what they can do. If one or both has a good game the Redskins might stand pat. If they falter, perhaps the organization will further scan the waiver wire or perhaps even try to swing a grade.

CB David Amerson—He missed the first preseason game with a shoulder injury. The 2013 second-round pick probably is not in danger of not making the team but the return of DeAngelo Hall, the acquisition of Chris Culliver, and the 2014 emergence of Bashaud Breeland have left him fighting for relevance and a spot in the rotation. Hall will play tonight but may exit early, giving Amerson the chance he needs.

Today’s schedule: Lions at Redskins 7:30 p.m., FedEx Field

—It’s been 235 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be 24 days until they play the Dolphins at FedEx Field.

Days until: Preseason Redskins @ Ravens 9; final cuts 16; Redskins @ Giants Thursday night 35

1. 214hof - Aug 20, 2015 at 7:19 AM

I have a problem with Griffin. Tom Brady for example, knew he wasn’t the best, he was and still is determined to get better every day and it shows, we can all see that with are own eyes. Then there is Griffin, whose ego is so enormous that he is blinded. Griffin is the most “athletic” QB on the roster everyone could agree on that, but he needs to play much better and consistent to even be an average QB in the NFL. Far cry from the best. True competitors don’t need to lobby and convince people they are great, they just go out and play, then other people tell them they’re great.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Aug 20, 2015 at 8:32 AM

It’s well Documented that Tom Brady thought he was the Best and Told his Owner he would never regret drafting him. All Athletes should think they are the best. I wouldn’t want a guy on my team that didn’t think he was the best.

• nathansworldorder - Aug 20, 2015 at 8:45 AM

But Tom Brady has gone out and proved it. Week in and week out for years. Lol

• gonavybeatarmy - Aug 20, 2015 at 9:28 AM

Decades, really; an unprecedented six Super Bowl appearances as a starting QB.

I know Tom Brady. Tom Brady is a friend of mine. Bob, you’re no Tom Brady.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Aug 20, 2015 at 11:07 AM

Yes but he said these things at the beginning of his Career before he proved anything

• lorcanbonda - Aug 20, 2015 at 12:28 PM

RGIII has that same drive and intensity, but it is not clear (to me) that he knows how to direct it. He’s been hearing for years that he needs to study film more, but it is not clear that he knows what to look for when studying film. He’s been hearing for years that he needs to quickly step through his progressions, but that takes experience in a pro-style offense which has been difficult to get. For timing passes, he needs to learn to trust the play — which is tough to do for an instinctual quarterback like RGIII.

• realfan82 - Aug 20, 2015 at 9:37 AM

I have a problem with you, you’re a jellfish fagg crybaby

• hail74 - Aug 20, 2015 at 9:51 AM

Tom is one of the best no doubt, but where would his career be if the patriots were as poorly run as the skins have been?

• hk2000 - Aug 20, 2015 at 10:46 AM

That’s the thing, thank you,poorly coached as well. You don’t have to play a sport to know that strategy is 10 fold more important than raw talent in almost any sport, especially team sports. I keep saying it, and fans here act like I have some kind of vendetta against our coach, but the reality is he is not creative and never will be. I know this is hypothesis that can never be tested, but if you swap Brady with Griffin, and not change any other thing on either team, their respective records and achievements will definitely flip flop- even swapping the two coaching staffs would likely yield similar results.

• brucefan1 - Aug 20, 2015 at 10:58 AM

Dude, you have Zero idea WHAT Tom Brady knew, or what he felt, about his ability — so why you saying you DO?!

You are just guessing or assuming what Brady felt about himself, according to what fits your agenda.

Or do you have even a SHRED of evidence to support your claim?! Cuz we’d all be glad to hear it!

Really, it’s no end of amusement to me when people come in here and make totally unsubstaniated allegations, with no way to possible prove them, (not even attempting to, actually) and try to pawn them off as FACTS that we should just accept without question.

Like this guy’s Brady claim — wild guesses, man; assumptions, preconceived notions (wishful thinking, even?) based on his own biases.

And, heck, all of that’s OK — as long as you present them as such (i.e. “I think/ “I imagine/ “I ASSUME that Brady felt he wasn’t the best.”) NOT as any statement of FACT.

Otherwise you come off looking like to fool to anyone who wants to be fair-minded about whatever issue is being discussed.

And I ASSUME you do know what “fair-minded” means, right?

• wvredskins - Aug 20, 2015 at 12:45 PM

All I have got to say is Griffin just seems to be more focused on football this year than the past 3 years. I’m not saying its gonna help him but I believe if he stays focused and the running game is going that he might have a good year. Obviously has to stay healthy. To me it just seems he is doing all the right things to become a better QB like staying after practice by working with Garcon or even his Dad for that matter. He is putting in the extra time but at the end of the day you have to be able to translate it to the field and this is his last shot. Alot of pressure and I sure hope he breaks out of his slump. He needs to show something tonight! HAIL

• 214hof - Aug 20, 2015 at 5:51 PM

@Tim

I’m pretty sure the quote you’re thinking of is the ” Hi Mr. Kraft, I’m Tom Brady, and drafting me was the best decision you’ve ever made.” The difference is that Tom backed up his words (to the owner) with an excellent work ethic, and production on the field. Vastly different from what Griffin did (in front of cameras/reporters). Proclaiming he is the best QB not only on the team but in the league as well (taken out of context or not) it’s just something you don’t do. He’s feeding the fire time and again, then wonders why he gets burned. When is the guy going to learn?

• wncskinsfan - Aug 20, 2015 at 5:57 PM

really, who cares. so sick of hearing about this, or Griffin in general. I just wan to watch some football.

2. troylok - Aug 20, 2015 at 7:51 AM

I think the Lions are going to put some pressure on Griffin tonight. It will be a good measuring stick of how far he has come. He’s probably going to take some hits if he doesn’t get rid of the ball faster than he did last week.

• wvredskins - Aug 20, 2015 at 12:48 PM

I agree and it will also be a good test for the Oline to see how the stand against a good pass rush cause we all know Week 1 is going to be a pretty good Dline coming at them.

3. sidepull - Aug 20, 2015 at 8:11 AM

I am pulling for Trey Williams. I hope that Grifs preseason shows progress game to game. I want one of the young TE’s to distinguish themselves and earn the position in the next two games. That would really be nice to see. Injuries are horrible but they do open doors for players who are itching to move up and get playing time. So heres the chance. It really is a great opportunity. Hope the Redskins have a good showing tonight and avoid any more season ending injuries.

• 214hof - Aug 20, 2015 at 8:31 AM

I’m also rooting for Trey, just like I was last year for Lache. I was surprised to see Lacheget cut last year after his pre season performance, he was a big play waiting to happen. Poor practice habits maybe? Sad to see he’s a cowgirl now. Hopefully Trey unseat CT, still not sold on his durability.

• sidepull - Aug 20, 2015 at 9:37 AM

Yea I had hoped Seastrunk would have panned out. He was a real lock I thougt.. Shows I am just a fan and dont know much. He did land in Dallas and I wondered how he has been doing. As far as CT goes I really like the guy. My fear is we will cut TW and as soon as we do CT will be out for some time due to injury. Some guys just have to prove that they are going to be able to play, be durable and available. Reed, Thompson, RG3, . Its is no help to the team if they are sidelined due to injury. I hope they all make it through the season without being sidelined but I would not bet on it. For now they have to get through the gauntlet that is preseason. Haloti will be seeing RG3 tonight.

• bangkokben - Aug 20, 2015 at 1:44 PM

What has Trey Williams done to deserve any consideration to be on the roster? Practice? The dude has got to ball tonight (weather permitting). At this point in their careers, Chris Thompson and an injured ankle is still miles ahead of Trey. He is practice squad material. Even Seastrunk was out there for weeks before he got picked up for a practice squad and that was after his big TD. Thompson wasn’t snatched up from the practice squad when he was there. Everyone just needs to slow down on the hype. This fear that somehow we’re going to lose Trey Williams to poachers is crazy. I feel like Will Ferrell’s character in Zoolander, “Am I the only one not taking crazy pills?!” Every year there is another Trey Williams and twenty teams have their own versions. Until he starts making multiple 10 yard plus carries in games, let’s stop the hype.

4. warpath1 - Aug 20, 2015 at 8:13 AM

Every team we play against is going to aggressively go after our QB and running game until we prove we can protect the QB, and the QB can take advantage of an aggressive D.

• bangkokben - Aug 20, 2015 at 2:27 PM

So what are these teams going to do against other quarterbacks? Are they not going to try to stop the run and pressure the quarterback? For which quarterback is there actually a game plan that primarily uses just three and four man rushes with the back seven or eight focusing on the receivers?

5. kenlinkins - Aug 20, 2015 at 8:45 AM

I would have included Golston and Hayward on the list. IMO both should want to put any more talk about a youth movement / new GM’s guys vs. new guys / “just a guy” types to bed now. Neither can land on the practice squad and if any of the new guys start to show development and can do more than flash they could push the “old guys” off the roster. You do not rebuild a talent poor roster by keeping Back Ups / Special Teamers who do not stand out.

• bangkokben - Aug 20, 2015 at 2:31 PM

The other side of that coin is that you don’t rebuild a talent poor roster with projects that have no role on the active 45. There is plenty of youth and plenty of new guys on the team, if either of the guys you mention make the team, they earned it. As you said, they aren’t this GMs guys and it’s not like he didn’t bring in guys to challenge them.

6. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Aug 20, 2015 at 9:24 AM

I’m hoping at least 53 of our guys have good games!
    ~

• bangkokben - Aug 20, 2015 at 2:35 PM

That would be a nice problem to have! Especially, since guys like Jackson, Galette, Reed, Breeland, and others that aren’t playing tonight will be on the roster this season.

7. hk2000 - Aug 20, 2015 at 10:48 AM

What do you mean “swing a grade”? I’m sorry this phrase is new to me, and I couldn’t find a definition anywhere. Thanks.

• hail74 - Aug 20, 2015 at 11:56 AM

Believe he meant trade

• hk2000 - Aug 20, 2015 at 12:48 PM

Thanks, didn’t occur to me.

8. brucefan1 - Aug 20, 2015 at 11:53 AM

“But got flack from the comments section so I’m including him now”

Rich, I hope I’m not stepping out of line, but I have to admit that I was ammused to see those words in your report, because, for the life of me, I can’t imagine why you would let our comments affect what you write and how you write it.

Fwiw, I think that your expertise, experience, and acumen and your inner knowledge of the Redskins (and, while I am a big fan, I assure all that I am NOT just trying to blow smoke here! Haha) should set your choice of words way above whatever frequently under-informed, over-emotional, half-baked, bias-driven comments we make here.

I guess I should thank you for considering us, but (with tongue firmly in cheek) I can’t help but think that paying too much deference to these comments may lead you down a real slippery slope! LOL

So while I obviously feel what & how you choose to write should be your decision alone — including whether or not to weigh in “commenter blowback” – I just couldn’t help making mention of your revelation.

(Why am I feeling that I’m gonna regret this one? Haha)

9. renhoekk2 - Aug 20, 2015 at 12:02 PM

Two of Trey Williams’s four carries were inside of the 5 yard line where it’s much tougher to run. How many yards were you expecting him to finish with? He did punch one of those carries in for a TD after being hit short of the goal line. It was actually a very good goal line run. No doubt he needs to show more, but to do that he needs more opportunities than a couple of goal line carries. Problem is Thompson’s track record of injury. If Williams doesn’t clear waivers and gets picked up, who is the 3rd RB if/when Thompson gets injured?

10. renhoekk2 - Aug 20, 2015 at 12:17 PM

It seems that teams go for it more often on 4th down in the preseason when they would probably normally punt. Is that to protect against injury? A team with shaky special teams play like the Skins would seem to benefit from more ST opportunities. Or is the risk of injury not worth it?

• bangkokben - Aug 20, 2015 at 3:05 PM

Situational football. 4th and 1 from the Cleveland 36 is a situation that always considers going for it. Some coaches like Belicheck or Kelly will go for it more often then kicking the FG or sending in the punt team. With that usually being a 53/54 FG, that likely isn’t an option for the Redskins unless they have a stiff wind behind them. So normal game time situation (1st quarter, down by 7, on the road), the Redskins would have likely punted but it being the preseason they treat the situation like the fourth quarter where they NEED a score. Most teams do the same thing with their first teams. Had it been the 3rd quarter with third or fourth team playing, maybe they punt, or try Ty Long from that distance.

• renhoekk2 - Aug 20, 2015 at 3:43 PM

I get that. But I’ve been watching quite a few of the other games on NFL network. It seems, especially in the 2nd half of games, teams are going for it on 4th down when they would either punt or kick a FG in the regular season. It could be by that time in the game all of the starting ST are done for the night and 3rd and 4th string guys don’t get ST reps during the week and don’t know what’s expected of them.

• bangkokben - Aug 20, 2015 at 4:32 PM

My guess is that the coaches would rather see what each player has when the play is on the line. I doubt it has to do with resting starting special-teamers. My guess is they figure they have enough of those situations and can’t count on more ‘realistic’ fourth down game situations. Also, coaches would rather go for it on 4th and seven instead of a tying FG in the 4th quarter because they don’t want these games to go into overtime. But I haven’t watched as much pre-season football as you so I’m nor sure of the situations. I’ve seen a bunch of 1st halves and the odd series here and there in the 2nd half of some of those NFL network reruns. Most of the other teams don’t have our ST woes.

11. goback2rfk - Aug 20, 2015 at 9:10 PM

I think we must question the durability of RG3’s frame. He gets hurt a lot. Hell I cringe ever time he gets hit cause I don’t know if he will get back up. He might need to start working with a better nutritionist and get him on more protein. He needs to beef up a little bit. Maybe gain 20 lbs. Who knows.
    The back up QB is going to be a big spot for the Skins. I do not see RG3 making it through the season without getting hurt.

• 214hof - Aug 20, 2015 at 9:37 PM

Griffin won’t gain weight to help him absorb abuse in the pocket, he will lose his “sprinters’ speed”. It all he’s got lol.

12. goback2rfk - Aug 20, 2015 at 10:24 PM

I like griffin a lot, great dude. Heck i even sent the guy a wedding gift years ago. But I mean the guy has been hurt a lot. Almost every year dating back to college. RG3 has been injured almost every season since his college days. It is scary when he gets hit. glass jaw homie.
    I hope he has a strong year. Maybe should not play him again until reg. season.

• 214hof - Aug 20, 2015 at 10:49 PM

There is nobody on offense that needs the preseason snaps more then Griffin…BTW Griffin was awful tonight, I think that last hit may have hurt him, he didn’t get up for a while.

R.Griffin – Ruled out (bruised ego)

• ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Aug 20, 2015 at 11:32 PM

I can’t say anything about Griffin tonight, good or bad.

Our O.L. was horrible against the Lions starters.
        —————-
        John Keim ‏@john_keim 4h4 hours ago Maryland, USA

It’s one thing to not move well in the pocket; it’s another when you’re taking quick drops and making quick throws and being drilled.
        —————-
        ~

13. skinsgame - Aug 20, 2015 at 11:44 PM

O line looked bad. Griffin looked bad even when they didn’t. More of the same.

14. goback2rfk - Aug 21, 2015 at 3:02 AM

Brandon Sheriff got trucked a couple of times in the game. yikes. 1st rounder early pick

15. Skulb - Aug 21, 2015 at 5:26 AM

Of the people mentioned here I had one plus next to Dixon and Hamm and two next to Williams. Not sure if it´s enough but at least Williams looked spry on some of his runs and can´t have hurt his chances at least. The secondary seemed a bit up and down but all in all not too bad. Griffin of course wasn´t able to do a single useful thing while he was on. It didn´t surprise me but maybe it surprised others.