Aug 20, 2015, 6:42 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, August 20, the day the Washington Redskins play the Detroit Lions at FedEx Field.
Five players who need to succeed against the Lions
Here are five players who need to have good games tonight against the Lions.
QB Robert Griffin III—I used to compile these lists and omit Griffin as being obvious. But got flack from the comments section so I’m including him now. He needs to be much better than he was in the second preseason game a year ago when he lost a fumble and threw an interception in three series against the Browns. The starting offense is now at four games and counting without a touchdown in the preseason and that skid needs to come to an end soon.
RB Trey Williams—It seems unlikely that he will make the Redskins team but he could land a spot on the practice squad or with another NFL team. But after gaining five yards on four carries last week he needs to have a breakout game. The Redskins or another team would be interested in him as a home run hitter but he can’t keep hitting singles. He should get some playing time this game to break loose. After tonight he’ll probably have to wait until the preseason finale on September 3.
S Jeron Johnson—He was brought in to be the starting strong safety but Duke Ihenacho gave him a run for his money in OTAs and minicamp. In training camp a hamstring injury cost Johnson the better part of a couple of weeks. If he is going to get the starting job he needs to start impressing now.
TE’s Je’Ron Hamm/Chase Dixon—The Redskins brought in a couple of free agent tight ends but they are still just learning the offense. Hamm and Dixon both spent most of last season on the Redskins practice squad and should have a handle on the system. This will be their big chance to show what they can do. If one or both has a good game the Redskins might stand pat. If they falter, perhaps the organization will further scan the waiver wire or perhaps even try to swing a grade.
CB David Amerson—He missed the first preseason game with a shoulder injury. The 2013 second-round pick probably is not in danger of not making the team but the return of DeAngelo Hall, the acquisition of Chris Culliver, and the 2014 emergence of Bashaud Breeland have left him fighting for relevance and a spot in the rotation. Hall will play tonight but may exit early, giving Amerson the chance he needs.
—Today’s schedule: Lions at Redskins 7:30 p.m., FedEx Field
—It’s been 235 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be 24 days until they play the Dolphins at FedEx Field.
—Days until: Preseason Redskins @ Ravens 9; final cuts 16; Redskins @ Giants Thursday night 35
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Need to Know: Redskins key to the game—A big day from Cousins
- New #RedskinsTalk Podcast - Duke Ihenacho opens up about playing time and Mexican food
- Redskins' Josh Norman planning celebration that puts NFL in awkward spot
- Injury report: Cravens a full go in practice but status for game still uncertain
- Redskins one of the best in NFL at preventing long plays
- Redskins without two key offensive players at Thursday's practice
- A few plays here and there could have led to different results for the Redskins
- Redskins' Kirk Cousins shuts down report he's affected by criticism: 'Not accurate'
- DeAngelo Hall appreciates Brian Mitchell's response to Stephen A. Smith on Redskins comments
- Kirk Cousins has apparently never said a bad word in front of Jay Gruden