Need to Know: Five Redskins who have work to do as camp resumes

Aug 15, 2015, 4:24 AM EDT

RG3-running-vs.-Browns

Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, August 15, five days before Washington Redskins play the Detroit Lions at FedEx Field.

Work to do

The Redskins played pretty well against the Browns on Thursday. As training camp resumes, however, some players still have a lot to do to get ready for the start of the season just over four weeks away.

TE Jordan Reed—With Niles Paul definitely out for the season and Logan Paulsen possibly out, Reed has to do what he has to do to stay on the field. That means stretching properly and avoiding unnecessary contact. No matter who else the Redskins might sign he needs to be The Man with availability to match his ability.

QB Robert Griffin III—He was good on Thursday but he needs to work to get better. For example, the long pass that Pierre Garçon dropped was thrown late; had coverage been a little tighter it could have made a difference. It’s about consistency and refinement and that takes practice and film study.

CB DeAngelo Hall—They don’t work on tackling much in training camp but Hall needs to figure out some way not to get embarrassed like he did when Brian Hartline caught a short pass and turned it into a first down after some bad tackling technique on the part of Hall.

OL Josh LeRibeus—His best chance to make the team is being able to play as the backup center should anything happen to Kory Lichtensteiger. But he had all kinds of issues in the middle on Thursday night playing mostly against backups. He needs to spend as much extra time with Bill Callahan as he can.

OLB Junior Galette—Preston Smith and Trent Murphy both played well with Smith getting a sack and Murphy getting three pressures. Those two are Galette’s main competition for playing time and he has yet to even take the field for a full practice. If Galette wants to get off to a fast start and earn the big 2016 contract he wants he needs to get moving.

Today’s schedule: Practice (Fan appreciation day) 1:35

—It’s been 230 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be 29 days until they play the Dolphins at FedEx Field.

Days until: Preseason Lions @ Redskins 5; final cuts 21; Redskins @ Giants Thursday night 40

127 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. Trey Gregory - Aug 15, 2015 at 5:18 AM

Yeah, Hall was pretty bad on at least two plays where he missed tackles that I can remember. I hope this is just rust from being out for a year.

Not that I think Galettle can just relax and have a great season, but I would take him off and put our GM on instead. I completely agree with what you said about Reed, but we need one or maybe two new plausible TE candidates. I saw it as one of our weaker position groups before Paul and Paulson were injured. Not it feels like a flat out train wreck.

Rich, I’m curious about how RG3 may have looked if he had more time to get into a Rhythm. I know you’re not a psychic but, in practice, does he get off to kind of slow starts then hit his stride as he gets going? Or am I completely stretching here?

• hk2000 - Aug 15, 2015 at 8:20 AM

Don’t ask Rich about RG3- or any reporter for that matter, most has formulated an opinion about him and no matter what he does, that won’t change- It’s itched in their psyche so deep, it’s a foregone conclusion- even if they don’t come out and say it. Human nature stinks sometimes but It is what it it is.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Aug 15, 2015 at 9:50 AM

I’ve probably bin commenting on this blog longer than anyone else that coments on this blog and I can say with confidence that your statment about Rich is false. I may not agree with him on some of his assessments, but he doesn’t comment about anyone like he personally has an issue with them that is not related to their performance as he sees it. Everyone has their own opinions on different subjects you would do best to give your own opinionsand not speculate on other what others may think.

• jayovalentine - Aug 15, 2015 at 5:39 PM

I agree with you hk2000. It is what it is though.

• gasngo14 - Aug 15, 2015 at 8:31 PM

hk, We all have our opinions and have the right to express them, however you are wrong to keep harping on this subject towards Rich…. I truly believe Rich is reporting fairly towards ALL Redskin players, it’s fans like you who can’t handle the truth sometimes….So please do yourself a favor a be FAIR yourself !!!!!!!!!!!!
        HTTR!!!!

• Skulb - Aug 15, 2015 at 9:40 PM

62,5 QB rating and the worst QB on the field from both teams. How`s that for fairness? How is it fair when people like you blame poor stats for Griffin on everyone else and poor stats for other QBs 100% on them personally? Seems to me you´re insisting on a double standard to favor Griffin so nobody can ever bench him for being a bad QB. It´s not his fault he´s bad obviously, It´s Rich Tandler´s!

BAD RICH!

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 15, 2015 at 10:56 PM

With only 8 attempts you don’t really think you can use a QB rating, do you? This is especially true when one was a dropped pass by Garcon that should have changed the results to 5-8 and an additional 60 some yards and a TD.

There is no way to compare the results of any these QBs in this game. They all played different opponents, different number of snaps, and none played a full game.

• Skulb - Aug 15, 2015 at 11:11 PM

Then why even talk about Griffin? I was`´t the one who started arguing over this nonsense here. The Griffin acolytes were because they took issue with Rich´s fair assessment of his performance. So you can make all sorts of claims based on this game while anyone who disagrees can not. Again, hypocrisy football HQ.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Aug 16, 2015 at 1:26 AM

I guess you skipped right over me being the first one to defend Rich’s assessment.

• Skulb - Aug 16, 2015 at 2:39 AM

Indeed I did. But still, here we go with the usual excuses for Griffin whenever someone criticizes a mediocre performance. And it´s silly.

Any QB can blame other people for their failures at times. It´s a team sport. Yes Garcon should have caught the ball. Of course he should have. And that would have improved Griffin´s stats. But how often do you look at who Cousins might blame for his failures? He never does though, and it´s not allowed for Redskins fans to do it either: That´s a perk apparently reserved for Griffin.
          If Cousins had gone 4/8 people would have been all over him. But when it´s Griffin it´s not his fault.
          If Griffin had gone 122/14 I wouldn´t be able to show my face here with all the “I told you so” posts and “this should shut up the haters” posts.

Hypocrisy!

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 16, 2015 at 11:51 AM

Skulb, you are off subject to my response. I agree with Rich’s assessment that RG3 performance was good and not great. However, I’ll debate six ways to Sunday that the pass was late. Anyway, I’m referring to your QB rating to attack RG3 as being the worst QB in the game. I think you are dead wrong about it and let’s say of RG3 was 8 for 8 with all passes under 10 yards. Why it be hypocritical to suggest you wouldn’t be using these same stats to analyze RG3?

• Skulb - Aug 16, 2015 at 1:12 PM

I`m not sure I get your point exactly. I never said the pass was late, only that you can find mitigating circumstances on a lot of plays. And if we start doing that it makes analysis a bit tricky because nothing is as it seems.
          What I was trying to point out was that he did actually throw three quite weak passes, particularly the fade past the end zone which looked pretty hopeless.
          All in all the offense looked better than I have seen it in a while. But it´s still gonna be hard if (And I do mean if) Griffin is gonna miss half his passes, whoever is at fault for that.

And I disagree with describing his quarter as “good” because of that completion stat. Not that it`s necessarily his fault. But it isn`t good enough, especially when special teams are so unreliable. Unless that get fixed pronto you`re gonna have to expect long fields. And long fields mean you have to string plays together to make it down the field. And you won`t usually do that reliably with a 65 QB rating.

I just want to remind you that I`m still a buit optimistic that this isn`t representative of what Griffin will offer when the season starts. But I was responding to two things here:

1: That COusins play was irrelevant because he was playing second stringers when McCown did even better than Cousins against first stringers. And this is typical of the people who gave up on Cousins the moment they noticed his haircut in 2012 or whatever.

2: That Rich Tandler was somehow biased or even racist for giving a slightly too positive assessment of Griffin`s game on Thursday.

These arguments are unacceptable for any number of reasons. To illustrate this I tried to demonstrate just how weak Griffin actually was by referencing the available stats, rather than pretend he was “good” when he was not.
          In general I have decided to stop talking about the QBs because there are two camps here who don`t listen to each other anyway. Ken for example never reads what I actually write but convinces himself that I wrote what he thinks I should have written so his arguments will work. no conversation can take place when people do that.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 16, 2015 at 3:14 PM

I’m not going to excuse RG3 for his fade passes. I agree both looked way off and an indication he needs work on it. However, I also want to point out that Cleveland’s pass defense was ranked the best in the NFL. They have possibly 5 DBs that could start over most if not all our starters. I notice this hasn’t been mentioned and the reason I do so is that both those failed attempts were well covered by some very good Brown DBs. There was almost no chance regardless of how good a fade pass thrown that there would have been a touchdown. If anything they may have resulted in INTs. That’s just a point I want to make to give credit where credit is due for the opponent. However RG3 is expected to be an elite passer and I expect better from him in the Red Zone which is a place he has struggled mightily since 2013.

I think the whole discussion over Cousins and RG3 went overboard. I’m not criticizing you since I know you mostly are on defense for Cousins. However, credit needs to be given for both QBs where I’m not seeing it happen here.

I was very happy with both RG3 and Cousins. RG3 had two excellent plays where one of them reminded me of his 2012 self with the dart to Grant as a lineman threw his body and forearm into RG3’s mid section. The other was the dropped pass by Garcon. If you watch RG3 closely he is going through his progressions and fooled the safety. Some will say it was the play action but I think it was the read towards Young that sealed it.

Cousins was on target most the game and yes still looks ahead of RG3 playing in the pocket. The plus for the team here is I think Gruden can show some film of Cousins’ movement in the pocket where he avoided pressure to help RG3 improve in this area. If we want to save RG3 from injury it is going to be by teaching him to avoid pressure while throwing and NOT avoiding him from runing a draw or read option plays.

As for Rich, I’m sure he can handle his own defense. I’ll agree for the most part I’ve felt Rich’s analysis of both QBs has been unbiased and accurate. We can set aside the ideal the pass to Garcon was late another time though :)

• Skulb - Aug 16, 2015 at 5:38 PM

Well I can´t argue with this. Perhaps except to say that it is pretty pointless to attempt an impossible pass, which the red zone fade certainly seemed to be. I don´t have the tape and am not sure what other options he had. But it seems unlikely that the pass he made was the best one.
          I agree it goes overboard. In my opinion it does so because a lot of the RGIII acolytes posting here systematically ignore stats. probably because they haven´t made Griffin look very good since 2012. Somehow stats matter for everybody except RGIII. Weird if you ask me. ANd it´s not because it was a PS game. His stats didn´t matter here all of last season either. There´s always some explanation at hand for why they don´t and it always changes.

I was just trying to reverse this cheap debating technique and flip it round to defend Cousins. I guess some people missed that.

• Trey Gregory - Aug 16, 2015 at 9:37 PM

Skulb: I’ve found myself agreeing with you a lot on these forums in general. But I think you’re taking this one a little far man. I don’t know if it’s just because you’re trying to prove a point or what, but all this analysis for Cousins or RG3 seems a little pre mature to me. Do some people defend RG3 when they shouldn’t, no matter what? Yes. But I’m not seeing that in most of these comments. There are some good points. I think the sample size is especially relevant. I just don’t think it was enough time to really assess how he’s doing. I’m not willing to say he’s made it or that he’s done. It’s just one of those things. You’ve made some good points too, Brady’s QBR isn’t as worrisome because of how he’s historically played. He’s allowed a hiccup or two. But I think that just goes to show that even some of the greats have problems in their first pre season game. I know we were all real excited to talk about the first real Redskins action we’ve seen in months, but it’s just too soon to know one way or the other.

• Trey Gregory - Aug 17, 2015 at 1:23 AM

Oh, a couple things I forgot.

I don’t have the game in front of me right now but you’re correct that at least one of those corner-end zone fades to Garçon was thrown basically knowing it had no chance. I don’t think that’s something to criticize RG3 for though. Pressure was coming, fast, and he got rid of the ball to avoid a sack and keep them in field goal range. I see top tier QBs do this all the time. Sail it over a covered receiver’s head in the end zone to avoid a negative play or an intentional grounding call. If nobody else was available, it was a good call. It shows RG3 is thinking about the bigger picture instead of trying to hit a home run every single time he touches the ball, which was a source of a lot of his problems. He took care of the ball, that doesn’t bother me. I would be singing a different tune on that play had he held on to the ball and taken a sack or thrown it to a covered receiver and risked an interception. Trust me, I will criticize Griffin when he deserves it and I’m not one of those fans of his who blames everything on his line or whatever else. Although, there have been multiple factors outside his control that contributed to his decline since the day he was drafted. But all the on the field stuff, I don’t blame anyone but RG3 for that. My point is that I’m more concerned with how he looks in 2015 than I am how he looked in 2013-2014.

But the main point I meant to make is that you said a lot of us are acting like Cousin’s performance didn’t matter. Well honestly, to me, it doesn’t matter. He’s fighting for the number 2 spot, not the starting spot. They declared RG3 the starter. Going back on that and creating another QB contraversy circus would seem like a huge mistake to me. Last season was terrible and this team can’t go through that again. We need to see what we truly have in RG3, one way or the other, over a decent period of time. There can’t be any doubt at the end of this season as to wether they should bring him back or not. Time is no longer an option for that decesion, and they need to know. So he’s going to get that shot regardless of how Cousins plays. I know that sounds crazy, but it’s really not. It’s the right thing for the stability of the team. It would be different had Cousins shown he had starter chops last year, but he didn’t. So even if it’s not fair to Cousins and any progress he may have made this offseason, that’s how it is. He’s not going to be the starter week 1 and won’t have another opportunity in Washington unless RG3 just really, really does poorly over the course of mumtie games. So, because of that, I’m much more interested in RG3 and his progress than I am Cousins. Talking about Cousins vs RG3 just seems pointless right now. Because RG3 didn’t play bad enough to lose his spot, and Cousins didn’t play well enough to earn it. But my point is that it’s much more about what RG3 is doing than Cousins. The only way Cousins’ play is relevant is if RG3 starts to tank. But he flat out showed progress from last year. So that’s basically all there is to it.

• Skulb - Aug 17, 2015 at 1:39 AM

Oh I know all this. And the decision to start Griffin is the main reason i have them at 6-10 in 2015 because the offense just doesn´t move fluently with him on the field. The second reason is that special teams is very bad, which means that Griffin, who can´t move the offense, will most likely be facing a lot of long fields.
          All I´m doing is making statistical predictions based on how people have played recently, rather than on emotional feelgoodery. Neither Griffin or the ST have show anything indicating that my assessment is inaccurate. Not in a good while.

• skins26portis - Aug 15, 2015 at 10:07 PM

Yep I agree hk2000. RG3 threw that ball to Garcon and he flat out just dropped it. It hit him in the numbers but he tried to turn and run before he secured the ball. Yea maybe it could have been thrown better but Garcon is to good not to catch that easy pass. I damn well know i would have caught that pass. Garcon I know he had to be embarrassed to be that open a drop that pass. Thankfully this game did not mean anything in the win or loss column. RG3 needs the WR to make the catch when he puts the ball in their hands.

• Trey Gregory - Aug 16, 2015 at 2:59 AM

I also don’t need anybody telling me who I can or can’t ask about RG3. Just to be clear there.

I’m a RG3 fan, but not an RG3 apologist. I’m not going to make excuses for him. He looked ok in a very small sample size. Not great, but not terrible. Much, much better than last pre season anyway. But he seemed a little out of rhythm to me. So, I wanted to ask someone who’s consistently watched him in practice this offseason (I don’t care about the past, just the future) if Griffin usuly stumbles a bit out of the gate and then hits his rhythm. That’s not that unusual of a thing, even for some of the greats. Just an honest question that didn’t need to turn into all that.

But a couple other notes: if Cousins went 4 for 8 and looked basically like RG3 did, I would not be roasting him. I would say he looked maybe worse than he normally does in these types of games, but not that he looked terrible. Cousins usually looks fantastic in meaningless games or off the bench. It’s the consistency and INTs that are the problem with him, not how he moves the offense. I might have even made some excuses for Cousins that he was playing with the 2nd team offense. But he looked just fine so no need to make excuses for him. You can’t possibly tell me that you don’t wonder 1) if he would have had the same performance against Cleveland’s #1s and 2) if he can sustain that level over multiple games. Also, although sometimes INTs are not QBs faults, they often are and it’s hard to blame anyone else other than Cousins for his interceptions. That’s not me loving RG3 and wanting to hammer Cousins. I would be president of the Cousins fan club tomorrow if I thought he could legitametly lead this team and be a solid NFL starter. That’s all it is. Then there’s also the reports from camp from all these “biased” reporters. I think every single report I’ve read has been a consensus that RG3 has looked the best in practice, consistently. That’s why I’m not getting too excited over some flashes from Cousins in the pre season.

Oh, and honestly, take it easy on Rich. RG3 is my boy too but he deserves ALOT of the criticism he gets because of his play the past two seasons. The only way that’s going to change is if he starts playing better. That’s just the truth, not bias. I think Rich is pretty fair on that point.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 16, 2015 at 3:22 PM

Trey, I’ll give you much credit for you QB analysis. Everything I read on both RG3 and Cousins seems spot on to me.

• Trey Gregory - Aug 17, 2015 at 1:25 AM

@Redskinsname: yeah, thanks man. I have to say that I’m agreeing with just about everything you’re saying here. You’re not leaving me with much to add!

2. Jay - Aug 15, 2015 at 7:13 AM

I think you are right about it being 2230 days since the Redskins last played a game. Hopefully the Cleveland game is an indication that they will play one in 29 days.

3. kenlinkins - Aug 15, 2015 at 7:48 AM

Rich, What is the process for both Paul and Redd? Can they just be placed on I/R (If done does that require they still count against the 90 man roster limit?) or must they clear “the wire’ to be placed on I/R? (which would open up two spots on the 90 man roster). What are the Redskins options?

• ajbus1 - Aug 15, 2015 at 5:51 PM

They don’t have to place them on the waiver wire. Paul is too valuable to take that chance so he’ll just go to IR and count towards the roster. Redd will probably be placed on waivers, and if he clears he’ll be put on the practice squad, or they might just cut him.

4. Skulb - Aug 15, 2015 at 8:21 AM

Nice observations. I think we should have a good look at special teams as well though, as the unit that came closest to handing the game to Cleveland on Thursday. There`s no return game and there hasn`t been for a long time. And we are giving up huge returns again, just like last year. Just this constant sabotage of the field position makes winning games a very uphil battle.

• troylok - Aug 15, 2015 at 1:17 PM

It starts with kickoffs. I think they need to get Tress Way up to speed on kicking off if the kickers can’t do any better than they did against Cleveland.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 15, 2015 at 3:29 PM

While the special teams coverage didn’t look very good, I agree the simpler solution is to get someone that can put the kickoffs in the end zone. One by Kai looked like a line drive at the 1 yard line …smh. I’m not sure how demanding it is for Tress to handle both punting and kickoffs duties but we may need to at least have him kicking off in crucial scenarios of a game. The continuous field position advantage our opponents are going to have will have a significant impact. The team is not good enough to go into games with this disadvantage.

• Skulb - Aug 15, 2015 at 9:29 PM

Yes but Tress was the best punter in the NFL last season wasn´t he? The problem then, as I suspect now, wasn´t so much the punt as the 50 yard return following it and the inability of Roberts to get past the 25 yard line. I´ve watched dozens and dozens of Roberts returns now and it´s basically a given that he´s going down almost exactly at the 20 yard line. A good one goes to 25 but that´s rare. A bad one to 15 which is less rare. It´s just very uninspired and punt return time is bathroom break time in my house because I know exactly what will happen in advance.

• Rob - Aug 15, 2015 at 10:09 PM

I’ve never understood why the skins don’t just get a kickoff specialist. I get that three kickers seems excessive, but to me getting consistent touchbacks is more valuable than having that fifth linebacker or third extra offensive lineman. It would take a catastrophic set of circumstances for these types of deep backups to even get into the game (and if such a scenario actually happens we’re probably screwed anyway) while a kickoff specialist would have an impact pretty regularly.

• Skulb - Aug 15, 2015 at 11:09 PM

Well I´ll say this: the Skins ST has been a liability for the last two seasons. In fact it hasn´t looked even half decent since Crawford and Alexander were on the team.

I mean I know this was just the first preseason game. But when you look at yards gained, possession and basically just all the team stats from the game vs Cleveland, the Redskins should have had an easy victory. More than twice the yardage and 2/3 of the possession and it ends up a squeaky 20-17. That the ST is so unreliable just puts so much work ahead of the team to get wins, even when they´re dominant.

And they were dominant against the Browns on both sides of the ball for the last three quarters.

• skins26portis - Aug 15, 2015 at 10:11 PM

Both of our kickers cannot kick the ball out of the End Zone. Our special teams has to be much better than last year.

• Trey Gregory - Aug 16, 2015 at 3:16 AM

I like the idea of bringing in a kickoff specialist or seeing if Tres Way has the ability for kickoffs too. You all nailed the points for why this is so important. A team as weak as this can’t handicap itself in games by having the other team’s offense play on a short field every drive.

However, I think we’re all hoping that Crowder can fix our return woes. I also don’t see why Desean can’t take a few back if Crowder is out for some reason. We honestly need to get the ball in that guys hands more any way possible. But hopefully Crowder is the new return man and does what he was brought in to do.

Then there’s also the other new guys brought in to help block on returns and help in coverage. Jeron Johnson has a lot of hype as a special teamer if nothing else. Then it seems like we drafted Even Spencer mainly with special teams in mind. At least at first. Then there’s the other draft picks like Spaight, Jarrett, Mitchel, etc. etc. who may be able to contribute too. I think it would be wise to give these guys a chance to get their feet wet and try to become more cohesive as a unit before we freak out too much. So many guys weren’t even active for the Brown’s game and for others, it was their first ever game or their first game playing with a new team and new teammates. I’ll reserve judgement and be cautiously optimistic for now. Special Teams seemed to be a big focus for McCloughan in FA and the draft, so I’m hoping something pays off. An improvement at least. The kicking is the only thing really worrying me at the moment.

• Skulb - Aug 16, 2015 at 3:31 AM

I agree. But I have to admit that one of the things I find it most difficult to keep track of is ST plays because the camera just picks up the ball carrier and his immediate surroundings. Difficult to see who blocks well and not when watching on the TV. All I know is that it isn´t good enough, which I base on all the sohrt fields of opposing teams and all the long ones of the Redskins:)

• hk2000 - Aug 16, 2015 at 12:33 AM

Ever since Smith left, our ST have been in the dumpster- consistently bad with different players has got to be a basic flaw in the system/coaching, maybe we should see if we can pry Smith away from the Steelers and bring him back.

5. hk2000 - Aug 15, 2015 at 8:33 AM

I know you have a thing with fives (Five this and Five that), but don’t you think every single Redskin has work to do? I mean they won a PREseason game, but as far as I’m concerned, they lost 17-3. Our back ups beating their back ups, shouldn’t give us a lot of confidence, should it? Every single person on that team, from the longest shot player to the head coach has a lot of work to do and a lot of room for improvement, IMO.

• hail74 - Aug 15, 2015 at 11:12 AM

If your not going to count the backups then shouldn’t you be saying we lost 7-3? Scores are irrelevant, it’s the execution that matters.

• skins26portis - Aug 15, 2015 at 10:15 PM

hk preseason wins and losses mean nothing. Preseason is about working on timing and looking at your roster to keep the best 53 men. Good teams don’t worry about winning in preseason they want to get come out of it healthy and get a good look at their young players.

• Trey Gregory - Aug 16, 2015 at 3:18 AM

@skins26… I couldn’t agree more about the preseason

6. hk2000 - Aug 15, 2015 at 8:40 AM

That throw to Garçon is so subjective, it is really hard to argue that with a straight face, unless you’re trying to make a statement supporting an already established opinion. If you think about it, and based on similar reasoning as the one you just gave, I’d say 90% of caught passes in the NFL can be argued to be just a littler late or a little early, often times the receiver bails the QB or vice versa.

• hk2000 - Aug 15, 2015 at 8:49 AM

And if we’re going to nitpick, I’d say A. Morris has work to do as well, since he often missed a better running lane or chose the wrong angle which would’ve resulted in many more yards. Then again, that’s why I’m saying nitpicking- When you’re in the heat of the moment it is almost impossible to make the right split-second choice that an observer sees in the calm of his viewing room or even on the sideline.

• jumbo611 - Aug 15, 2015 at 11:04 AM

Very well stated. Not to mention the fact he,and Garçon both said it wasn’t the play/route that was called. They both adjusted to the defensive alignment.

As a fan of the team it does get a little tough reading,watching and listening to people nitpick every little thing the team, and an individual player does. even when it’s a positive outcome. Garçon dropped the ball not Griffin. the ball was placed where he could catch it in stride and no defender could get to it. I would say the quarterback did his job just fine on that throw.

• Reggierob - Aug 15, 2015 at 1:48 PM

Thank you, Rich’s blatant RG3 bias is showing again with this bs assessment of that play!!

• skins26portis - Aug 15, 2015 at 10:16 PM

Well said

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 15, 2015 at 3:34 PM

The late throw is just flat out wrong. He looked towards Darrell Young and the safety was caught with this pants down. No one can be 100% certain where the safety would have been if RG3 just took his first read and air it out to Garcon. However, EVERYONE has been asking him to read through his progressions. Well now I when he does that will bring on the late pass hypothesis. I forgot how many times I watched the play by now. RG3 did everything to near perfection and did get the the pass into Gracon’s hands. He could have lead Garcon better on the pass, that is the only issue with that play.

• Skulb - Aug 15, 2015 at 8:48 PM

That`s true enough. But as usual Griffin leaves himself open to criticism like this because he also threw a few other poor balls while he was on. It is rather depressing to look at the six (Technically seven. I`m skipping over the fourth Browns dude who played) QB ratings from this game, which were as follows:

Browns: McCown : 133,8
      Manziel: 71,0
      Shaw: 70,4

Makes sense right? The starter kicks gluteus maximus (Against the Redskins first team Stephfan, just in case you care to grace me with your non-argument from earlier once more) and his backups are average (Against the Redskins backups) but can be used in a pinch.

Now to us:

Redskins: Cousins: 112,5
      McCoy: 80,6
      Griffin: 62,5

Of the six active QBs in this game the Redskins starter and holy cow had the lowest QB rating. In other words, based on this performance, Griffin would not merit a place on the Cleveland Browns bench. This is what I mean when I say that Griffin needs to play much better. Not a little better; not avoiding sacks while not moving the ball. Just better across the board, like McCown and Cousins. If he does not he will be tormented by criticism and doubts every week, and with numbers like this it is what he deserves. And The Redskins will also not win a lot of games, which some of us actually think would be a good idea.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Aug 15, 2015 at 10:14 PM

2 series 4 passes a series. 1 major drop. Trying to compare a ridiculously small sample size from RG3 to a guy that threw twice as many passes against nobodies witha starting WR on his side is ridiculous. Wait till the 3rd preseason game when there are more plays to judge a guy from.

• Skulb - Aug 15, 2015 at 10:40 PM

And here we go with the sample size again. He had the worst stats of any QB on that field and none of them had a huge amount of snaps. Again, this is just hypocrisy football HQ right here.

• brucefan1 - Aug 15, 2015 at 10:51 PM

So true Tim.

Sometimes these arguments are so lame that they are not even worth responding to. But seeing YOU made some great points, I’ll gladly reply to you! LOL

Anyone who tries to use such a tiny sample size, in the FIRST preseason game, with several of the regulars not playing in a BS attempt to “prove” that Griffin is the worst quarterback on both teams, is obviously grasping at any flimsy straws possible in an attempt to justify their biased, preconceived notions.

NOBODY but a hard-core hater is buying that bunk. Crud like that is a waste of time reading, not to mention replying to.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 15, 2015 at 11:07 PM

Skulb, I made a similar response as Tim did above. I don’t think you can use QB ratings in these games to compare any QBs performance. It’s not even a sample size of data. QB ratings are a better measure of a season. These QBs played against and with different players for different number of snaps.

RG3’s worst work was on the fade passes in the end zone. Yes he still needs work but his overall play was decent and he seems to be seeing the field better. Cousins played very well but he also has some passes that were off the mark. We should be happy with the results of both QBs and not quarreling over how is further along. We all should know RG3 is no in jeopardy of losing the starting position at this point. Move on and wait to see how the other games play things out.

• Skulb - Aug 16, 2015 at 3:24 AM

@Redskins

I agree and I do actually understand this. However, the entire argument here actually started with people dismissing Cousin`s performance as somehow irrelevant. I then referenced the actual stats in an attempt to point out that on the Cleveland team the starting QB was by far the best one, while the replacements were average. Normal in other words. Meanwhile on the Redskins the situation was reversed. If Griffin had played well last season I wouldn´t spend a second on this. But he didn´t. So to now have the man who was under center in last year´s Tampa game miss half his passes the first time I see him this year doesn´t inspire a whole lot of confidence. And then on top of that the inevitable excuses come out. “Oh it wasn`t his fault but Pierre´s and Gruden´s and Rich Tandler´s and just how dare you!?!” (Please read the quote in a Bill Clinton voice)
          Repetition is needed to form a pattern and we will indeed need to see all four PS games to get a more accurate reading. I understand that. But my first impression is that we are about to get more of the same stuff we endured last year. And it´s very frustrating. And that was not the first impression I was hoping for before the game. Hopefully the scond impression will be different.

7. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Aug 15, 2015 at 8:46 AM

Le Ribs needs to spend less time between snapping the ball and being ready to make his blocks.
    ~

• ET - Aug 15, 2015 at 10:31 AM

A month ago, LeRibster looked like he had a route onto the final roster. After his performance against the Browns, that’s very much in question again. If Spencer Long or one of the young centers looks half decent at another position, LeRib is toast.

8. gurnblanstonreturns - Aug 15, 2015 at 8:58 AM

“He was good on Thursday . . .”

Uh, no, Rich, no, he wasn’t.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 15, 2015 at 4:11 PM

Yeah right! If only RG3 could catch the balls he throws then maybe he’d logged at least one touchdown?

• Skulb - Aug 15, 2015 at 9:04 PM

62,5 QB rating is not good, I agree. I actually didn´t think it was as bad as that while watching the game. I was just happy he avoided sacks and seemed a little faster on the draw. Apparently though, the next three-year project will now be to teach Griffin how to hit people with the passes he throws. Even if Garcon had caught the long ball (Which he should have done) that would still leave Griffin 5/8 and with a QB rating in the mid eighties. Not too bad but still not as good as either McCown or Cousins. You really want to see your starter above 100 against a mediocre Cleveland to generate a little optimism and confidence in the offense. And that would have meant hitting one more of his incompletions in addition to the long one to Pierre. And if he had done that he might have had two TDs in the first quarter and we´d all be dancing down the streets here. But he didn´t and we´re not.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Aug 15, 2015 at 10:09 PM

The guy played 2 series of live action for the first time in 8 monthsagainst the starters with only 8 passes hardly time to get iin rhythm had a deep pass dropped. Wait till the 3rd preseason game when the starters actually play an extended amount of time. Cousins also ran a play out of the pistol whywasn’t RG3 afforded that opportunity since he is great at it?

• Skulb - Aug 15, 2015 at 10:39 PM

Yes I will wait for that. But at the same time we have to call a spade a spade here: compared to McCown RGIII was not good enough. It also seems very likely that Cousins would have done as well or better if he had started because he barely made a mistake.
          I`m just not gonna sit here and lie about Griffin´s performances every week. He wasn´t awful, so that´s good. But he also wasn´t good. He would have looked better without Pierre´s drop. But he still wouldn´t have looked good.

And what I have a problem with is how we are supposed to always excuse Robert when his stats are bad by blaming everyone else, but never do it with any other QB in living memory. Why? Don´t you think I´d be perfectly capable of sitting here cooking up excuses for Kirk when he doesn´t perform? the coaches haven´t prepped him properly because of Griffin. There was no pass protection (Same excuse you used for Griffin last year as I recall). He hasn´t had enough reps with the starters. The receivers ran bad routes. The play calling was bad. See now? Nothing is Kirk´s fault. He can do no wrong! Everyone else is to blame!

• hk2000 - Aug 16, 2015 at 12:38 AM

That’s what I’ve been saying- As soon as Cousins got in, all of a sudden, you can see the scheme changed, the play calling changed and it was as if the coach just then decided to get into it. I don’t know but I have a very bad feeling about this whole season.

• hk2000 - Aug 16, 2015 at 12:42 AM

Personally I don’t want Kirk even as a backup. He throws 1 interception and it’s over, I’d rather we stick with McCoy as a back up.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Aug 16, 2015 at 1:18 AM

I’ve said before that I wasn’t blaming it all on Cousins either Ive said our main problem last year was the Oline. But Ive also bin saying since we drafted Cousins that he is an interception waiting to happen. Like I said I will judge the QB after the third game if he stinks it up Ill say it but what I have seen so far the Right side looks better it looks like we have better depth and there is more work to be done in the secondary. Cousins looked good against the seconds with Roberts which both of those should they are one time starters. Not enough plays to really judge the starters. IT’S THE FIRST PRESEASON GAME THE SKY IS NOT FALLING OVER 8 PASSES.

• Skulb - Aug 16, 2015 at 3:02 AM

@TIm

No I agree with you there. But this isn´t my attempt to trash Griffin: It is a response from me to the people here who were, as usual, trashing Cousins when he did very well. “Why those dirty second stringers; my grandma could have made a 100 QB rating against them!” “BAD COUSINS!” Never mind that Manziel was average against the Redskins backups and never mind that McCown was great against the Redskins first team and would have crushed us if he had stayed on. Nonono, we have a narrative here to explain away why Cousins looked much better than Griffin. And we ain´t changing it, come Hell or high water!
          And none of those people apparently even looked at the quite unfavorable comparison Griffin made to McCown as the two starters. Why didn´t McCawn blow against the Redskins first team? Because he´s an NFL starting QB and this is the level you have to play at to succeed as one. I am not saying that this averageness of Griffin will necessarily continue. But I have also not seen anything indicating otherwise for the last two seasons. Like I said: last year he went from OK to average to bad. Yes injuries and yes evil Gruden changing the system. I get all that. But the stats are what they are anyway, and they are not good.

He did`´t show a single thing to cause any realistic optimism at all against Cleveland. To the contrary. When he does I´ll say so and be happy about it. But when he doesn´ I´ll also say so, and not self-censor in some confused attempt at sparing someone´s feelings..

9. colorofmyskinz - Aug 15, 2015 at 9:23 AM

Cousins clearly outplayed RGIII and looked to rung the offense with ease. He had many more plays in his playbook. Where RGIII had very basic plays. Cousins was clearly the best QB on the field Thursday. He facilitated the offense like a veteran.

I wonder if we get another QB controversy. It will be hard to hide the fact that cousins is better and runs our offense better. So when does the official QB competition begin?

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Aug 15, 2015 at 9:42 AM

Cousins was playing 2nd and 3rd stringers. If we go by who plays better with and against weaker players than we should have Drafted the Shippensburg University QB in 2013

#18 Zach Zulli

PositionQuarterback

2012 Harlon Hill Trophy Winner
      2012 AP Little All-America First Team
      2012 Daktronics Ron Lenz Offensive Player of the Year
      2012 Daktronics Super Region 1 Offensive Player of the Year
      2012 Don Hansen’s Football Gazette Super Region 1 Offensive Player of the Year
      2012 PSAC Eastern Division Offensive Player of the Year
      2012 Daktronics All-America First Team
      2012 D2Football.com All-America First Team
      2012 All-PSAC Eastern Division First Team

2012 (R-Junior): Won the Harlon Hill Trophy as Division II’s top football player during his third full season with the Red Raiders…named to the AP All-American Team and was chosen as the Offensive Player of the Year by Daktronics (SID) and Don Hansen’s Football Gazette among a multitude of postseason plaudits…broke 25 school records, seven conference records and four national records during a historic season…set or tied NCAA single-season marks for passing touchdowns (54), total offense touchdowns (56), touchdowns responsible for (57) and points responsible for (344)…surpassed previous PSAC single-season records with 342 completions, 544 pass attempts and 4,747 passing yards…led all divisions of college football in passing yards…established multiple new single-game standards with a 46-of-61 day at Kutztown in which he threw for 581 yards and nine touchdowns…furthered his single-game total offense record with 576 yards in the regular season versus Bloomsburg…toppled previous school marks with a 62.9 completion percentage, 365 passing yards per game, 4,971 total offense yards and a 165.2 quarterback efficiency rating…extended his consecutive games streak with a passing touchdown to 21…went 200 consecutive passes during the regular season without throwing an interception…cut down six SU career records, including touchdown passes, yards, total offense touchdowns and rushing yards by a quarterback…selected five times as a PSAC Eastern Division Offensive Player of the Week and once as NCAA.com’s Division II Offensive Player of the Week…quarterbacked the No. 1 total offense (529.92 ypg) and No. 2 passing offense in Division II (387.69)…individually ranked No. 3 in Division II for total offense and No. 5 in passing efficiency…surpassed 200 yards through the air and had at least 17 completions in all 13 games of the season…notched a career long 89-yard touchdown pass at Lock Haven…recorded four or more passing touchdowns in 10 of the first 11 games of the season…ended up with eight 300+-yard passing games and four 400+-yard passing games in addition to his 581-yard effort at Kutztown…ran for touchdowns against LIU Post and Bloomsburg…caught a four-yard touchdown pass against Slippery Rock…played in all 13 games but started 12, yielding his regular post to Jeff Tomasetti on Senior Day…kicked three punts, averaging 33 yards per boot, with one touchback

• colorofmyskinz - Aug 15, 2015 at 10:06 AM

And he would have done just as well against those first team defenses with his first team offense. He would have had better Oline to protect him and better WRs to catch the PERFECT passes he threw. He clearly had a much larger pkaybook to work with when RGIII got the high school playbook.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Aug 15, 2015 at 10:29 AM

Face it Cousins had 3 chances to prove himself with the first team offense and failed. Just because he is a good QB against lower level talent doesn’t make him a good QB against better competition. He has proven he is a backup let it go

• Nate - Aug 15, 2015 at 11:19 AM

Kirk always look better as a reserve but nervous as a starter

• Rich Tandler - Aug 15, 2015 at 11:51 AM

Good observation. Maybe why he was so quick to say “it’s Robert’s team” when RG got hurt last year.

• Johnny B. - Aug 15, 2015 at 11:56 AM

I agree Cousins is the best option this year. RG3 can’t run this offense at least not yet he needs more time to break the habits of a spread offense qb and retain the habits of a pocket passer. If he worked at it all off season he would be better but right now Cousins has the best chance of giving us more wins. But he needs a whole year of starting to go through the ups and downs of winning and losing. Then you’ll see the true Cousins good or bad. But with Gruden at the helm it’s a long shot.

• renhoekk2 - Aug 15, 2015 at 12:48 PM

It was clear last season that Cousins ran the offense best. Yes he threw Ints. But he hasn’t even played in 16 games yet. And most of his practice time has been with the 2nd team or running the scout team. 4 Ints against the Giants? ALL of the super winning all-time greats have had MULTIPLE 5 Int games. Brady, P Manning, Elway, Marino…… Just to name a few. Point is not to put Cousins in their class, but to prove that even the very best QBs in the history of the game have games like that and worse, and more than once. P Manning threw 41 Ints his first 2 seasons in the league. It’s part of the learning process, not some definitive statement of a player’s ability.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Aug 15, 2015 at 1:06 PM

Again the guy was playing against lesser talent. RG3 can tear up the second and 3rd teamers too.

• hk2000 - Aug 15, 2015 at 3:07 PM

Much larger playbook? Well, that’s up to the coach. All I know is that as soon as Cousins entered the game, the O Line play got much better and he always had a lot of empty space around him, which tells me either the coaches are calling a better scheme, or the O line suddenly got better- RG3 always threw with a defender in his face and got pummeled as soon as he threw. Additionally, to all those on Cousins bandwagon, remember he is only good until the first int, then he needs to be taken out immediately. I don’t think he is even a good backup option.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 15, 2015 at 3:49 PM

“RG3 can’t run this offense at least not yet he needs more time to break the habits of a spread offense qb and retain the habits of a pocket passer.”

Yeah because Tom Brady had to break away from a spread offense before he won a Super Bowl! Oh wait, I think he’s still playing a spread offense. Oh, but it doesn’t work in the NFL?

Btw – just because you run a spread offense doesn’t mean you don’t throw in the pocket.

• Skulb - Aug 15, 2015 at 9:23 PM

If anyone deserves patience as the starting QB of the Redskins, to sort out his mental and interception problems, it`s Kirk. The Cousins haters forget that he has never been prepped as a starter, always as a backup. Give the guy an offseason of reps and confidence as the starter and it should help. And if it does then Kirk is already an NFL caliber QB easily. Few QBs in the league are able to rack up yards or run an offense like Kirk can do.

Griffin still is not NFL ready after three seasons of patience, OS reps and confidence, and I think he proved it on Thursday.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Aug 15, 2015 at 10:02 PM

Cousins has had reps with the first team every year and failed. He started a game in 2012 and got first team reps He had all off season 2013 while RG3 recovered with the first team and 3 games at the end of the season and failed. He started games last year and got all the reps and failed. He’s had plenty of opportunities and failed. He failed so bad nobody will offer a single pick for him. So quit acting like he hasn’t bin given a chance because he’s bin given multiple chances and failed. How are these not chances and reps? You seem to forget all the picks, balls bouncing off of defenders hands, and the inaccurate passes cousins has thrown the last 3 years

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Aug 16, 2015 at 1:33 AM

Lol I see you couldn’t touch that comment about all the Chances Cousins had.

• Skulb - Aug 16, 2015 at 2:50 AM

@Tim

Strangely, writing “lol” doesn´t make you appear intelligent. What are you, 12 years old?

Anyway, I just didn´t see it because WordPress has been bugging. What I said, which you would have understood with some remedial reading comprehension training, was that he has never been prepped as the starter from the beginning of the season. Reps for a week in the middle of the season is not the same thing as entering OTs as the starter. And yes he has had chances and blown them. Nobody disagrees about that. But by Helm so has Griffin! Endless chances and last year he managed to get worse and worse every time he took the field. His Tampa game was just historically bad. And now he opens with a middling QB rating that couldn´t best the third stringer on Cleveland. Regardless of the nonsensical starters/backups non-argument this just is not good enough. He can pick it up of course. He´d better.
          I have said this many times but here goes again: it isn´t that I think Cousins necessarily is the best thing since sliced bread. He has potential and if he can clean up his game he would make a very good starter. It´s just that Griffin is playing for the most part very badly, and worse than Cousins for going on two seasons, even with all of Kirk´s interceptions. Attacking Cousins does nothing to change that. What you should be asking is how in the world Cousins even makes the field season after season if he´s so bad and Griffin is so good. You´re trashing the guy who played Griffin off the team last season. Or rather he took over when Griffin played himself off the team. So who´s the bad QB here?

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Aug 16, 2015 at 9:43 AM

So if RG3 went perfect or had the same stats as Cousins against 2nd and 3rd string players you would think he was fastly improved???? I highly doubt that I’m sure you would be saying it was against weaker competition just like everyone is saying about Cousins because it is the Truth. Ive read a lot of your Posts and they all point to trash RG3 and praise Cousins. Cousins has thrown interceptions his whole Career just like Grossman. You see 1 ok game and immediately jump all over the guy with stats of 8 throws in a Vanilla offense on the first preseason game. Get out of here with that weak argument. All anybody said was hold the breaks lets see what happens. You turn it into personal hate like the guy stole from you. BTW Cousins has had 4 offseasons to prepare a backup is supposed to prepare like the starter and in 2013 he had first team reps all offseason and stunk it up 3 games in a row against bad defenses.

• James McFullan - Aug 15, 2015 at 12:18 PM

By the way Cousins was going against starter and backups for a little bit and those are people that are actually going to play this year and he had no problem moving the ball against them

• Ernie Billings Jr. - Aug 15, 2015 at 1:11 PM

Wait until defenses apply pressure and he’ll crack. It wasn’t so easy during the 2nd half of the Philly game last year, huh? And Kurt was never the same.

• Skulb - Aug 15, 2015 at 9:08 PM

Look man, McCown was playing first stringer, just like RGIII, and finsihed the first quarter with a QB rating of 133, 8. Manziel played against second stringers, just like Cousins and had a QB rating of 71,0. Cousins´ was 112,5 and Griffin´s 62,5.
        If you can`t objectively compare RGIII to Cousins then compare him to McCown, who had the exact same conditions of play as Griffin did. And when you do that it just looks very very bad. There´s no other way to put it.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Aug 16, 2015 at 1:07 AM

He threw the ball 8 times make a judgement after the 3rd preseason game atleast. Nobody should be judging any QB off of 8 throws.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 15, 2015 at 3:46 PM

Color, do you read own your comments sometimes? Please breakdown how you know Redskins playbook to access which QB was using more of it?

Was it because …I don’t know; Cousins played longer? Outside of that you don’t know “bunk” about the playbook either QB is using.

Cousins had a very performance but you ignore RG3’s positives in the game. RG3 showed he appeared to be seeing the field better. I don’t know if it will translate to regular season but he did a good job against the 1st team which something Cousins can’t say on Thursday.

• skins26portis - Aug 15, 2015 at 10:22 PM

Oh boy do you know anything about football? Have you even put on a helmet before.? Why are you trying to compare Kirk to RG3 when Kirk was playing against the rookies and backups. Yes Kirk looked good as he should when playing against the other teams rookies and 2nd year defense. RG3 didn’t play long enough to really evaluate him fully. it would not have made since to keep RG3 in the game when Cleveland took out its starters.

• Skulb - Aug 16, 2015 at 2:41 AM

And Manziel looked average against the Redskins backups while McCawn looked excellent against the Redskins starters. What is the point of repeating this “argument” when a five year old can see that it doesn´t hold up? A 65 QB rating isn´t good enough, no matter who was on the other side. McCawn didn´t have a 65 QB rating. And that´s because he looked like a proper NFL starter.

10. ET - Aug 15, 2015 at 10:56 AM

Man, tight end has gone from “meh, not the strongest position group but it’ll be ok” to “terrifying.” Even if Jordan Reed can stay healthy for the entire season (dubious), he can’t do it alone. Can Hamm, Dixon or Mahina fill the gap, or will Scot & Co. desperately look under any remaining free agent rocks? Or both?

• Johnny B. - Aug 15, 2015 at 11:45 AM

We need a veteran te. Bring back CC and keep the tall rookie can’t remember his name. He is the best of the 3.

• colorofmyskinz - Aug 15, 2015 at 11:50 AM

Yep need 2 TEs. Need a veteran. Maybe a trade for cousins or mccoy?

• Skulb - Aug 15, 2015 at 9:12 PM

Sure, let`s trade one of our two best QBs!

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Aug 16, 2015 at 1:34 AM

Nobody wanted to trade for Cousins remember not a single offer.

• Skulb - Aug 16, 2015 at 2:35 AM

Sure. He is´t a starter so that´s normal. Try asking who wants Griffin and you´ll get the same uncomfortable answer I´ m sure. Cousins has interception problems; Griffin is apparently injury prone, take too many hits and seems strangely wobbly at running the offense. At least forwards.

Just calling it like I see it, and with the stats to back it up. Griffin´s management of the offense slows it down to a crawl. It´s good that he is concerned with ball safety, but the ball must go forward, not sideways or backwards. And that involves taking some risks in the form of passing the ball. Cousins gets that better than Griffin I think.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Aug 16, 2015 at 9:48 AM

Thats laughable. Cowboys, Jets, Bills, Eagles, Browns, Cheifs just to name a few would trade for him. Yes I stopped halfway through your Comment to answer that ridiculous post.

• Skulb - Aug 16, 2015 at 9:54 AM

Comedy, like stats, doesn´t seem to be your strong suit.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Aug 16, 2015 at 10:06 AM

RG3 had a higher QB rating than Tom Brady had in his first preseason game 39.2 going by your logic he is a Hallof Famer. Guess Tom Brady isn’t good enough to be a starter. OR IS IT JUST PPRESEASON.

• Skulb - Aug 16, 2015 at 10:08 AM

Had to dig deep for that one eh?

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Aug 16, 2015 at 10:29 AM

Nope same stats y I u saw the only difference was I didn’t ignore it just to try and Bash a guy.

• Skulb - Aug 16, 2015 at 1:21 PM

@ Tim

You´re a funny guy Tim, but you´ve never met a stat you can´t ignore completely if it helps you make a preconceived argument. And this time is no different. You hadn´t even looked at the stats before I started pushing them on you and we both know it.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Aug 16, 2015 at 3:37 PM

Your right I didn’t nother looking at the first preseason stats because they are meaningless as ive shown with Tom Bradys stat.

Ive posted many stats about the Oline that you have ignored though.

• Skulb - Aug 16, 2015 at 5:34 PM

You haven´t showed diddly. You decide based on nothing before the debate starts and then use the statistics you feel like once in a while and call all the other stats meaningless when they don´t back up your preconceptions.

And if you had actually read what I have written here, which you oddly enough never do, you will find that I have covered this when Is aid that if Griffin had played well last season none of this would be an issue. he didn´t but was absolutely horrible. Brady was very good and has nothing to prove in these games. Griffin sure does. And that´s why these stats are not meaningless. They represent the continuity of Griffin`s lame performances last season and are cause for concern.

4/8 and three points from the starter is the impression he´s made coming off an historically bad season. That does not make me optimistic. it should not make anybody else optimistic either.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Aug 16, 2015 at 11:31 PM

When I posted the Stats and Pages that proved Most of the Sacks were on the Oline you said I made them up even though I provided the Links. If it wasn’t for the Bad Oline play we would have bin better last year. When the Oline held up in the Vikings Game RG3 helped the team put up 26 points. When the Oline Shows up so does the QB.

You seem to have a personal issue with RG3 as our QB and anyone else even an interception Machine is better in your mind. You act like the team is not starting the Best guy with the most talent because of some Conspiracy. When the Truth is RG3 is the Most Talented QB on this Roster. You even Go as far as trying to use only 8 passes to prove your point then when that gets shot out of the water you make stuff up about me. Ive never said any stats were meaningless I have said you have to look at stats and the reason for those stats not just try and find 1 bad one and hold onto it like its gold. Like the QB sack stat you can’t blame that stat entirely on the QB because the Oline is the one that doesn’t hold the block or misses one plus there are other variables that go with that stat.

You look for any Ridicules little thing to try to prove a Point like trying to Judge a QB off of 8 passes. That is a Hater looking for anything to validate himself. You still havent told me How the Redskins Hero That Crushed 2nd and 3rd stringers in Preseason games Colt Brennan is Doing. What team is he starting for? Is that where Cousins is gonna start?

• Skulb - Aug 17, 2015 at 1:33 AM

OK you`re repeating that lie I see. You never posted stats proving that at all, as I pointed out to you in all desirable detail. Let`s just call it a day on this conversation then. There´s no point.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Aug 17, 2015 at 10:35 AM

try going back a little further and look on previous articles or ask some of the other commenters on here. Instead of running your lips and calling names like a child when someone points out your absurd hate and crushing your dumb argument over 8 preseason throws. When Tom Brady had a bad QB Rating with limited throws. I’ve Posted links from The NFL, Football Outsiders, and the Washington Post. You dig for ridiculous stats that prove nothing and you take those stats out of Context. I’ve bin on this blog for years and have watch people like you shoot off and try to down grade people all the while you barely have a clue how the game is played. You even show your lack of intelligence and common sense by shooting off about the guy who runs this blog. I’ve bin on here longer than anyone else that have bin commenting and you remind me of Polo and walter too people who hate just to hate and show no comprehension of what a Discussion is.

Try Checking Before Calling Someone a Liar.

• Skulb - Aug 17, 2015 at 12:53 PM

You´re the cause of almost all these childish arguments Tim. And you´re the one name calling. Grow up!

11. wncskinsfan - Aug 15, 2015 at 12:42 PM

I wish nothing but success for Robert, but he causes me concern. In a short period of play, he took a couple of good licks from doing what he does. I just don’t see this as sustainable for him. I am certain that if the play does not merit the pay, he will be pulled if he is back to being “superman” on the field. They said they were looking for rhythm and execution on the field (reagarding qbs), basic game management, too, and Cousins looked pretty sharp in the dept. All of the qbs benefit from Coach Cavanaugh, and a revamped line, as well as an emphasis on the run. I don’t see Washington trading Cousins as his knowledge and ability to execute the full play book is just that, too valuable. I see him getting another crack at starter this season, like it or not. I do think injury unfortunately is going to happen for Robert. Maybe Cousins will be ready this time . . . or maybe as many suspect, our starter for next season is not on the roster yet. I believe we will see the qb carousel again this year, hope not, but Superman is not sustainable. Slide. throw the ball out of bounds. do something other than get run over by a three hundred pound man. oh boy.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Aug 15, 2015 at 1:43 PM

They tried trading Cousins nobody wants him. Big Difference between playing starters and backups

• Juan - Aug 15, 2015 at 1:58 PM

If anybody thought he was starting quality a 4th rounder is nothing. …..kyle shannahan hasnt even tried to get him….stop all this stupid talk. …..HES A BACKUP!!!!

• James McFullan - Aug 15, 2015 at 3:29 PM

Ya If I had Matt Ryan leading my team I wouldn’t need or want Cousins if it cost me a player or picks

• skins26portis - Aug 15, 2015 at 10:23 PM

amen

12. Ernie Billings Jr. - Aug 15, 2015 at 1:08 PM

Late? The ball hit Garcon……….in his hands. He dropped the ball. The ball was thrown to the outside, away from the safety. Let’s just stop the madness.

13. Juan - Aug 15, 2015 at 1:31 PM

Kirk cousins ALWAYS looks good in the 1st 2nd quarters….never fails….but look at 2nd halves or games he actually starts and the other team knows hes starting……terrible….he had his chance last year and got benched! …..we cant even get a 3rd rounder or 4th for the guy….they’ve tried….for several years…also garcon makes 10 mil he should have caught that ball period!…..heck cleveland 2nd teamers made andre roberts look good lol….think about that

14. timwillhidetimwillhide - Aug 15, 2015 at 1:59 PM

It’s pretty laughable that people think when a guy plays well against second and third team players its the same as playing the starters.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Aug 15, 2015 at 2:01 PM

Colt Brennan syndrome lol

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 15, 2015 at 4:06 PM

I wonder who among them actually watched the game. Cousins’ first pass to Roberts in the center of the field was behind him but he made a tough catch. That pass was under 15 yards. However, they’ll instead rain criticism over RG3’s 60 yard pass that was slightly off from hitting Garcon in stride.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Aug 15, 2015 at 8:12 PM

Cousins also was lucky he didn’t throw a pick when he lobbed it up into double coverage.

• skins26portis - Aug 15, 2015 at 10:25 PM

I saw that play and Roberts made a nice adjustment to catch that pass that was clearly thrown behind him. That’s what a good WR should do.

• Skulb - Aug 15, 2015 at 9:17 PM

I once again refer you to the fact that McCown owned the field playing the Redskins starters while his backups were mediocre against the Redskins second stringers. I must say that I don´t think you´ve thought this through at all. Just an emotional knee-jerk non-argument to defend St Robert you keep repeating as if repetition will make it true. To put it another way: Griffin will be facing starters the entire season. Against the Browns he was 4/8 and not good. Does that mean you´ll be happy with a bad QB as the starter because he´s playing starters?

This just makes no sense at all man. Go look at the stats from the game before you reply as well. Clearly you haven´t. http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=400791771

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Aug 15, 2015 at 9:44 PM

I watched the damn game. Cousins was Playing an inferior 2nd and 3rdstring defense with a starting WR in Roberts who was easily getting open against nobodies. He also mmade a couple bad passes that he got lucky the WR made a good play on the ball and the one went incomplete thrown into double coverage that could have bin picked. Colt Brennan played good against backups and nobodies. What do you think of his probowl career.

• Skulb - Aug 15, 2015 at 9:48 PM

Again with this subjective stuff man! Why did McCown play so well and Manziel so mediocre then? They also played first stringers and second stringers, respectively.

Address the actual stats from the actual game you claim to have watched or prepare to not be taken seriously! /dramatic music

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Aug 16, 2015 at 1:03 AM

Again totally different circumstances I would say we have better depth than the Browns. And like I said Where is Colt Brennan. I’m not judging a guy on 8 passes that would be stupid. Ill wait till the 3rd preseason game to make an assessment.

• Skulb - Aug 16, 2015 at 3:11 AM

@Tim

Fine. But at least make sensible arguments. I`m not saying 8 passes against Cleveland prove that Griffin is bad. I´m just saying that he wasn´t good enough in this game to be an NFL starter, whatever the reasons were. This is when he needs to spend the first quarter he gets proving a point, like McCown did. “This is my job and here´s why!”, not get showed up by both his backups.
          Hopefully he´ll turn that around next time and look a little bit more commanding out there. To me he simply looks lacking in confidence and he has done for a while. I know he says otherwise, but what´s he gonna do? Say: “Yes I`m scared of playing because I can´t handle it anymore”?

15. mightyjester - Aug 15, 2015 at 2:00 PM

Preseason games make a lot of QBs look good. A couple years ago we had a guy throw like 12 for 12 for 200 yards and 2 tds. It was Rex Grossman. Cousins made a lot of plays because Andre Robert’s was still in there easily beating second team guys. As far as Griffin goes what more could you want? We should have scored what 4 plays into the game? Garcon dropped the ball. I’m guessing Rashad Ross makes the roster over Spencer. I also think Trey Williams will break out they should of kept feeding him that ball.

16. mightyjester - Aug 15, 2015 at 2:08 PM

Trey Williams can be a great weapon. I think he surpasses Chris Thompson. One of my classmates explained this to me, he was a player. He said at his college they would not allow a guy over 6 feet to play running back. Short guys have an advantage because the defense can’t even see their helmets. Of course in the NFL they have to be fast and durable as well not just short.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 15, 2015 at 4:01 PM

Chris Thompson only solidify his place on the team on Thursday. I didn’t see anything particularly special out of Trey Williams. Brandon Banks made a quicker impression on this team. Maybe if Trey scan return a punt or kickoff back then he might have more value. However, since kickoffs have been moved up; the little guys like Trey and Brandon have been severely handcuff in landing a position in the NFL.

17. Budman Rogers - Aug 15, 2015 at 2:21 PM

Great artical

18. Scottlo - Aug 15, 2015 at 3:08 PM

What’s wrong with Galette???

• James McFullan - Aug 15, 2015 at 3:31 PM

He’s been rehabbing a torn pectoral muscle, but he expects to play next week

19. berniebernard666 - Aug 15, 2015 at 3:38 PM

why isn’t Preston Smith practicing as a replacement tight end. Got to find a way to get your HIGH draft picks on the field. Smith has GREAT hands, is about the size of Gronkowski or bigger, and he is quick. J.J. Watt is used as a tight end occasionally.

The Redskins never think outside the box, and seem to ignore obvious situations. Perhaps this is why they only have 7 wins in 2 years.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 15, 2015 at 3:57 PM

I think that is just a crazy notion. Preston Smith ran a 5.78 in the 40. Now include pads!

I think J.J Watt is used as a TE for goal line situations but seriously. Don’t you think Preston needs to learn the NFL defense before we start throwing on the offense?

Anyway, I saw Preston Smith playing on the defense line so that is about as “out of the box” as I want to see the rookie right now.