Aug 15, 2015, 4:24 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, August 15, five days before Washington Redskins play the Detroit Lions at FedEx Field.
Work to do
The Redskins played pretty well against the Browns on Thursday. As training camp resumes, however, some players still have a lot to do to get ready for the start of the season just over four weeks away.
TE Jordan Reed—With Niles Paul definitely out for the season and Logan Paulsen possibly out, Reed has to do what he has to do to stay on the field. That means stretching properly and avoiding unnecessary contact. No matter who else the Redskins might sign he needs to be The Man with availability to match his ability.
QB Robert Griffin III—He was good on Thursday but he needs to work to get better. For example, the long pass that Pierre Garçon dropped was thrown late; had coverage been a little tighter it could have made a difference. It’s about consistency and refinement and that takes practice and film study.
CB DeAngelo Hall—They don’t work on tackling much in training camp but Hall needs to figure out some way not to get embarrassed like he did when Brian Hartline caught a short pass and turned it into a first down after some bad tackling technique on the part of Hall.
OL Josh LeRibeus—His best chance to make the team is being able to play as the backup center should anything happen to Kory Lichtensteiger. But he had all kinds of issues in the middle on Thursday night playing mostly against backups. He needs to spend as much extra time with Bill Callahan as he can.
OLB Junior Galette—Preston Smith and Trent Murphy both played well with Smith getting a sack and Murphy getting three pressures. Those two are Galette’s main competition for playing time and he has yet to even take the field for a full practice. If Galette wants to get off to a fast start and earn the big 2016 contract he wants he needs to get moving.
—Today’s schedule: Practice (Fan appreciation day) 1:35
—It’s been 230 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be 29 days until they play the Dolphins at FedEx Field.
—Days until: Preseason Lions @ Redskins 5; final cuts 21; Redskins @ Giants Thursday night 40
Follow Us On Twitter
- Did DeSean Jackson take a shot at Redskins' offense on Instagram?
- Redskins' loss leaves them in a muddled situation
- Need to Know: Redskins vs. Lions by the numbers—Two firsts for Rob Kelley
- After quiet day in Detroit, Redskins Pierre Garçon says 'we always try to go deep'
- Vernon Davis tells 60 minutes about investment that burned dozens of NFL players
- Redskins will watch injuries to key players on both sides of the ball
- New #RedskinsTalk Podcast - After near storybook ending, heartbreak in Detroit
- Jay Gruden says Redskins defense should have been more aggressive in final series
- Five observations from the Redskins' loss to the Lions
- VIDEO: Trent Williams walks gingerly while helped to locker room after injury