Need to Know: Stock up-Stock down for Redskins vs. Browns

Aug 14, 2015, 6:50 AM EDT

Matt Jones vs. Browns

Here is what you need to know on this Friday, August 14, six days before Washington Redskins play the Detroit Lions at FedEx Field.

Stock up-Stock down

CLEVELAND—Preseason games are not about the scoreboard but more about individual performance. Here are players whose stock rose and fell against the Browns last night.

Up—RB Matt Jones: The rookie showed some power, speed, and shiftiness as he ran 5 times for 38 yards and caught 1 pass for 7 yards. He isn’t going to supplant Alfred Morris, who had a solid night carrying the load in the Redskins’ first two series, but he will be a good change of pace and situational back.

Down—OL Josh LeRibeus: The fourth-year player was playing his first extended time at center and he was run over by defenders on numerous occasions. At times it was technique and sometimes it just looked like he was slow off of the ball.

Up—WR Rashad Ross: He is still a long shot to make the team but he did all he could to help his case against the Browns. The first-year player caught five passes for 68 yards, displaying his speed and good ball skills.

Down—KR Andre Roberts: After the Redskins had forced the Johnny Manziel led Browns to punt, Roberts fumbled during the return and the Browns recovered. Manziel eventually scored on a 12-yard scramble.

Up—OLB Jackson Jeffcoat: He got a sack of Manziel just before halftime and pressured him on a few other occasions. He became a long shot for a roster spot when the team signed Junior Galette. The second-year player needs to take advantage of every opportunity, even though he may be auditioning for a chance with another team.

Who did I miss? Hit me up in the comments!

Today’s schedule: Off day

—It’s been 228 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be 31 days until they play the Dolphins at FedEx Field.

Days until: Preseason Lions @ Redskins 6; final cuts 22; Redskins @ Giants Thursday night 41

134 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. mr.moneylover - Aug 14, 2015 at 7:27 AM

All scot m. Draft picks made a play yesterday they showing good progress…it cracks me up to see ppl saying we should start kirk cousins over rg3 ppl need to calm down because kirk cousins went up against college players and havent looked good in practice to start over rg3…im so tired of these vets making huge mistakes that can cost our team to lose…theres no way in hell p.garcon should’ve drop a wide open deep ball… rg3 did his part on going threw his progression and fool the safties… I look at that play as game over because if the game was on the line with seconds left on the clock we loss…andre roberts I hope he get cut he struggle going up against pro CBs and he dont do nothing on special teams I think the team will be better off with ryan grant and Jamison Crowder…did anybody notice after that big drop by p.garcon rg3 struggle to get the ball back in p.garcon hands I said it last year and ill say it this year these wide receivers have to give rg3 confidence to throw them the ball especially if its a catchable ball…rg3 did get confident throwing ryan grant the ball tho I dont think ryan grant drop a pass yet

• Skulb - Aug 14, 2015 at 8:16 AM

Cousins was playing with second stringers as well as against them. You have to be consistent with this stuff. It seemed fairly obvious to me at least that the Redskins second string offensive unit was a lot more smooth that the first stringers. All the points came from them.

• Stephfan - Aug 14, 2015 at 8:23 AM

Not necessarily true because 3 came from the first unit and 7 came from the 4-4 unit. But all I’m saying cousins played an ok game but you should expect that from a 4th year qb going against second and third stringers… Cousin always looks good now but can’t say the same after or before a game

• Skulb - Aug 14, 2015 at 11:22 AM

That`s true. But again my problem with your arguments is that you engage in special pleading for Griffin, who hasn`t looked impressive at any point, preseason or regular, since his rookie year. I`m not saying that Cousins is the new Dan Marino here or something. just that he at least manages to look impressive once in a while.

• Stephfan - Aug 14, 2015 at 1:35 PM

I didn’t say anything about griffin so your point isn’t valid

• Skulb - Aug 14, 2015 at 6:13 PM

@Steph

But it`s implied. If it`s easier to make the reserves look good because they`re playing against reserves, then what`s the point of these PS games? Yes Griffin played against Cleveland`s first team but he also played with the Redskins first team. And they look ineffectual and didn`t move the ball well at all with him under center. Meanwhile Cousins looked very comfortable moving the reserve team down the field repeatedly. I know he does this every PS and that it is indeed just the PS. But Kirk showed Griffin up in my view. This is how you do it Robert. Watch and learn. Seriously, if Kirk ever gets his mental issues sorted he could be a really really good QB. Maybe not elite level like Marino or Peyton, but close enough that I`d take it after the last dozen or seasons of depressing baloney at this position.

I`m just saying that whoever decides to give Kirk that chance and prep him as a starter has a chance to make a real steal here. Again, I`d say the Jets should seriously consider it with Geno the fruitcake out with a broken jaw, which Boomer Esiason called “the best thing that could have happened to the Jets”. How`s that for a vote of no confidence in the starting QB? Clearly Kirk on a good day would be a massive upgrade there. And if he can turn most of his days into good days that`s a PO recipe, even for the Jets.

• Stephfan - Aug 14, 2015 at 7:26 PM

@skulb calling Kirk anywhere close to the the two you mentioned is laughable at best. Kirk is a good qb nothing more than that. But didn’t griffin move the ball into the end zone? And he wouldn’t had a touchdown if garcon hadn’t dropped a right on the money pass

• Skulb - Aug 14, 2015 at 8:56 PM

Yes I specifically said that so I don`t know why you`re repeating it to me. I`m just saying he has potential to be very good if he can limit the turnovers. And I`m not sure Griffin can anymore. As for comparing the way Griffin and Cousins moved the offense in this particular game it`s not even close. When the snap went to Griffin you had a sense that maybe, possibly we might get five yards and hopefully not run out of downs before managing to add up ten yards. Being forced to punt just made sense, just like it did when he played like this last year. There`s just nothing there and “lackluster” is perhaps the best word to describe the Redskins offense when griffin is on the field.
          When Cousins caught the snap you almost knew it was going somewhere meaningful, and the likelyhood of a first down felt pretty decent the entire time.

So yeah, compared to Griffin Cousins is Dan Marino already. Just not compared to Dan Marino.

2. Stephfan - Aug 14, 2015 at 7:41 AM

Preston smith- his stock went a little up. He looked raw but caused havoc…

The entire secondary stock for me was mixed…
    Murphy stock is stable but trending down…
    The entire defensive lines stock is stable. (StArting unit )

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 14, 2015 at 10:17 AM

Nice catch – I was expecting Preston Smith to be there based on the numbers but his stock has been fairly high during OTAs and TC. I couldn’t see the game but look forward to watching the reruns.

3. g2smusic - Aug 14, 2015 at 7:43 AM

I’m not too sure how well Plummer has been coming along this summer but man ill tell you that guy stood out to me. He was swarming around on numerous plays making an impact. Also Jerret made a nice defensive play I found pretty encouraging.

4. hk2000 - Aug 14, 2015 at 7:45 AM

Stock down: The brain-trust of the organization, the fact that Paul’s injury turned the TE position into a disaster shows that we’re still lacking in forward thinking.

• cowboyhater - Aug 14, 2015 at 8:46 AM

Really my friend?…..They have 3 other TE’s on the roster who are young, and if you were actually watching the game you may have noticed how effective #83 Dixon (I think) was in the blocking game. He set Morris free on his long run of the game, and shined in other series. TE’s are a dime a dozen in this league, and Reed is held out as precaution. I don’t think you can criticize the “brain trust” over the TE position. Your comment is irresponsible, and immature. Go up 95 north and cheer for the purple team if you have so much hatefulness of the organization., In my eyes they are moving in the right direction…but it will take time.

• bangkokben - Aug 14, 2015 at 10:10 AM

Well said.

• ET - Aug 14, 2015 at 11:21 AM

I don’t think good tight ends are anything close to a dime-a-dozen. Big, slow-moving mopes with hands of stone are a dime-a-dozen. But otherwise, I agree.

• Skulb - Aug 14, 2015 at 11:35 AM

Not much depth at TE anymore though. I wouldn`t be very surprised if they finegle at least one more from FA before September, for the depth if nothing else. Two of three starters out at the position already. And we all know it`s just a question of time before Reed joins them. You can`t tell me that having all three starters at a position out is, statistically speaking, good for a team`s performance.

• kenlinkins - Aug 14, 2015 at 1:21 PM

Dixon had a very good game, key block on Tray Williams TD run.

• staceygot3 - Aug 14, 2015 at 1:24 PM

Amen

• redskingoon - Aug 14, 2015 at 9:17 AM

I gotta go with the starting right side of the line being UP. Moses and Schriff had a great night opening passing lanes and more than holding their own in pass coverage.

• redskinscaio - Aug 14, 2015 at 11:36 AM

I guess I can stop hating on Niles Paul since he is now out for the season. Maybe not. Niles Paul dropped numerous third down passes last year in critical situations, he fumbled and lost the ball several times, and then there were the penalties….oh yeah, he couldn’t block and had numerous plays busted because of that. How about this year? He’s out for the year with an ankle injury….Terrible news for the guy….But at least the Skins gave him a hefty contract before the year started for numerous years.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 14, 2015 at 1:37 PM

Paul meant much more to the team than just a few dropped passes. Hard working player that was a leader and special teams warrior. Looks like you continue to hate him since you devoted most your statement to discuss you views of miscues than injuries. He’s probably the best blocking TE we have so I think you are dead wrong there. He brought value to this team in ways I think you don’t understand.

5. Skulb - Aug 14, 2015 at 8:12 AM

I`d definitely say up on Cousins, Smith, Williams and Plummer, as well as the ones you listed. The only real downer was Roberts, who apparently has trouble understanding the concept of ball safety. I`d put a small downer on Garcon as well. How did he drop that pass?

Also a big downer with the injuries. Just stop breaking our tight ends already!

• Stephfan - Aug 14, 2015 at 8:14 AM

Man cousins was playing backups let’s not feed into the hype. He always does good against backups and then chokes in the regular season

• Skulb - Aug 14, 2015 at 8:20 AM

Also with backups. And he makes the Redskins backups look good when he plays like that. But you`re a Johhny One-Note with this stuff, We`ve argued it to death already, so what`s the point? Any chance you get to rip on Cousins you`re all over like a fly on….another fly. Let`s just agree to never talk about the Redskins QBs ever again. If you see me talking about them, just ignore me and I`ll do the same to you when you hold one of your RGIII sermons. Deal?

• 214hof - Aug 14, 2015 at 8:48 AM

I argee with you Skulb, Kirk is playing against 2nd and 3rd string defenders, but what ppl are overlooking is that he’s making chicken salad out of chicken sh**. By that, I mean making mostly undrafted players look like starters.

• bangkokben - Aug 14, 2015 at 10:36 AM

Kirk played great. There is no other way to say it. Twice he held the ball a little long – which was uncharacteristic of him. One of those times he got sacked and the other time he had all the time in the world to hit the check down. On the deep pass to Ross he made no attempt to fool the safety, but other than that he was what you want to see out of your QB. Lastly, Kirk’s first five to ten passes were to Andre Roberts who was single-handedly carving up Cleveland’s number two defense which is part of the context. Maybe now we can trade him or maybe the coach is holding on to him because he’d secretly rather play Kirk. I don’t know but there is little reason to give your #2 the lion’s share of the work.

Now, what I have a problem with is Griffin NEEDS to throw the ball about the same amount of time to get better. Eight attempts is not cutting it. Two nice drives with plenty of third downs and pressure were good things. I don’t understand why not play Griffin a series with the ‘twos’? It’s not like he wasn’t playing with back-ups during his stint – the 3rd down one-on-one pass after Garcon’s drop was to a rookie named Spencer. Who knows if the rookie was supposed to break inside on that play or if it was an errant pass? Griffin’s time looked a lot like the Houston game last year and the Jax game before he got hurt – moving the ball well with drives that resulted in little to no points. Can’t say it was the QB at this point. But the ‘skins twos looked much better than the Browns twos – on both sides of the ball.

• Skulb - Aug 14, 2015 at 11:01 AM

Nothing wrong with Griffin in this game. If Garcon holds the long ball Griffin looks good. But Cousins was very good, although we`re apparently not allowed to say so.

• bangkokben - Aug 14, 2015 at 11:03 AM

True.

• ET - Aug 14, 2015 at 11:24 AM

Hey, at least Roberts kinda made up for his fumble by catching all those balls from Cousins. Last season, he would’ve dropped 50% of them.

• Skulb - Aug 14, 2015 at 11:26 AM

True enough, he did pick up his game. It`s just preseason anyway, but dropping the ball was sort of his thing last year. You`d think he might want to fix that as soon as the cameras come out.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 14, 2015 at 10:22 AM

Cousins numbers looked very impressive and I think we all understand the caliber of players he threw against AND to.

So what I’m curious to know is if he looked comfortable in the system, making reads, adjustments, etc.

If he showed promise there then I think it is fair giving him a thumbs up. This is coming from a huge RG3 supporter.

• Skulb - Aug 14, 2015 at 11:03 AM

That`s all I`m saying. Credit where it`s due and all that. He looked like he was calm and made reads rather than staring receivers down.

• abanig - Aug 14, 2015 at 12:36 PM

Cousins needs to do it against starters though, I don’t think he gets that opportunity to do that this year unless Griffin falters really bad after a few months of the season.

Cousins always looks good vs 2nd & 3rd string defenses, as most Qbs do who are at least average NFL qbs.

I’m sure Griffin would light up the browns second & third until defenses also and yes, Griffin can score on a read option play inside the 10 also..

I’m still waiting for Gruden to call that play for Griffin inside the 10…

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 14, 2015 at 1:41 PM

I understand Cousins tends to play well in preseason however he needs to continue to demonstrate this which he did. I view him as a backup QB and if we have one that is tearing up lower tier players then I think that is a plus to have in Cousins. Overall, I still believe Cousins can grow into a competent starting in the NFL and if not then a valued backup.

• kenlinkins - Aug 14, 2015 at 1:19 PM

You have Plummer correct, that kid impressed me a lot.

• Skulb - Aug 14, 2015 at 5:35 PM

He had the most manly tackle in the entire game and deserves a hug just for that.

6. thankslittlebrandonbanks - Aug 14, 2015 at 8:13 AM

Lauvau missed a block badly that resulted in Griffin being leveled…stock down, not that the squad is overflowing with better options.

• Stephfan - Aug 14, 2015 at 8:15 AM

Long could take his place possibly

7. sidepull - Aug 14, 2015 at 8:17 AM

Baker. ought to at least get a shot playing in the 2nd quarter.

8. sidepull - Aug 14, 2015 at 8:21 AM

After so much negativity this week about drafting a “guard” at 5 I think that Callahan knows what he is doing. Stock up Callahan and his young right side.

9. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Aug 14, 2015 at 8:23 AM

I feel terrible for Paul. All that off-season dedication, bang out for the year after the first preseason game.
    ~

• jonevans511 - Aug 14, 2015 at 10:11 AM

I know, it’s a damn shame. My gut dropped when i saw that (via a very slow & choppy live stream on my laptop in Philly, sucks to be away from home!) play. I thought it was even worse than a dislocated ankle, but that’s a moot point for Paul at this point. Him coming back to full strength next year aside, he busted his tail this year to get bigger & stronger, was JUST named the starter, and this happens in the first darn preseason game.

Keep your head up, Niles. I have nothing but love for guys like you and I know you’ll view this as just another mountain to climb. You’ve climbed so many already that if anyone can overcome this, it’s you!

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 14, 2015 at 10:23 AM

Ditto

• bangkokben - Aug 14, 2015 at 10:44 AM

Truly a tough blow. Bad for the team and worse for Paul. Here’s to a speedy and full recovery.

• Skulb - Aug 14, 2015 at 11:28 AM

Looking at both his injury and Redd`s you`re almost happy their legs were still attacked to the rest of them. If anything, Redd`s looked even worse. I actually had to turn away from the screen when that came on replay. Sideways bending of knees = bad idea:(

• Skulb - Aug 14, 2015 at 11:29 AM

Attached I meant to say. Whoever heard of attacking knees anyway?

10. troylok - Aug 14, 2015 at 8:23 AM

I’d Chris Cooley’s stock went up.

11. bk70 - Aug 14, 2015 at 8:36 AM

Stock Up Bryce Quigley G/T He was a TE for 2 years in college.
    Stock Up GM – He will find the right solution.

12. mr.moneylover - Aug 14, 2015 at 8:44 AM

Last year rg3 threw the ball 20x in the first preseason game this year he did play a quarter but it was a good mixture of running the ball I like how rg3 manage the game like pro QBs suppose to do…the O-line did a decent job giving rg3 time in the pocket…joe barry defense is still a question mark alot of miss tackles and struggle getting off the field on third down

• cowboyhater - Aug 14, 2015 at 8:55 AM

Agree….the defense looked suspect, and D Hall looked very hesitant (which is to be expected). They are playing too far off the receivers, which made the receivers easy targets. Culliver cannot lose track of the ball downfield, and get hit with penalties like that. Theisman was wrong about his assessment. It was a penalty…he impeded the receiver from getting to the ball. The line was not as dominant as I was anticipating, and Smith now sees how difficult it is to shed blocks against a good offensive line. Hopefully the D can put it all together before the season starts. That’s the issue when bringing in 6 new starters. Need to get continuity, and learn to trust each other. That is what I will be watching for as the preseason progresses.

• jonevans511 - Aug 14, 2015 at 10:16 AM

Also don’t forget re the Defense, Joe Barry’s style is new for these players so they’re still trying to figure out both the scheme(s) and how to play with eachother. I thought the line did well at times and looked ehhh at others, but overall we only conceded 17 points between our starters and back-ups so we shouldn’t be hanging our heads at all. Just get back to the film room, address the issues, and get ready for next game. I expect by third preseason game we’ll see a much more cohesive defense (both starters and backups).

One more important note on the D- There’s no way in heck Barry would show the world all of his playbook, so what we saw last night was probably the most basic scheme to let the players become re-acclimated with the speed of the game. Since this is the first “game” of 2015 he had to just let them go out there and work out the kinks. They did just that and I’m very confident we’ll improve all the way up to and through the season.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 14, 2015 at 8:16 PM

Sorry I think you are wrong. I just watched the play and Culliver had position on him down field where the receiver ran into him. He also had no chance of catching that ball.

• Skulb - Aug 14, 2015 at 11:10 AM

A slight question mark is Cleveland iself. I think they were #32 last year on run defense, and it was indeed wide open for the running backs on multiple occasions. And also the usual TO/ST baloney. If we start the TO count with this game the Redskins are already -2. And there were flubbed punts, missed tackles, short fields for the Browns and long for the Redskins. Altogether just endless issues with the special team in a game the Redskins actually dominated slightly, both defensively and offensively. Looking at yards gained the Skins were three times better than Cleveland, yet they win by three points. The ST just needs to be sorted if there`s gonna be any success in 2015.

• abanig - Aug 14, 2015 at 12:30 PM

Yes, but CLE’s DL has been upgraded over last year’s DL. Phil Taylor was hurt last year, wasn’t he?

They drafted Shelton with their top first round pick.

They signed Randy Starks so a lot like our DL, the Browns DL has been upgraded a lot this year.

• ET - Aug 14, 2015 at 1:14 PM

Good points.

• Skulb - Aug 14, 2015 at 5:36 PM

Yeah I know that. Just saying that their defense was bad at that last year and that they`ll need some time to gel the new unit. And the Skins got first crack at them and found a lot of weakness I thought.

13. abanig - Aug 14, 2015 at 8:53 AM

Preston Smith and Trent Murphy were both ups for me. Smith had a sack and a few pressures. Murphy had a batted pass and a few pressures. Both players were all over the place and hustling a lot.

I thought the starting OL was an UP, they played much better than what we saw last year. Morgan and Scherff looked stronger than what we saw from Compton & Chester. There were a few times where they got overpowered though so that does worry me for the Dolphins game against Wake and Suh.

Kirk Cousins stock has to be up a bit but he does this every year against second and third stringers so I don’t put that much stock into how he plays in the preseason anymore.

• mr.moneylover - Aug 14, 2015 at 9:04 AM

Trent murphy only had 1 QB rush…you getting him confused with undrafted LB trey plummer now that guy was all over the field…preston smith had two sacks and six tackles and 1 for a lost…I didnt notice trent Murphy most the night…overall joe barry defense was disappointing last night and seen jay gruden piss off cause of it

• jonevans511 - Aug 14, 2015 at 10:22 AM

Money lover, I said it up there but you’re being way too hard on the D after one preseason game. You make it seem like they let up 30 points and got burned on multiple occasions. I know they made some mistakes and they looked raw out there, but they got to the QB, made some plays, and showed they have potential. Barry would never open up his playbook that much and we all knew that before the game, so what we saw is a very, very small sample size of what’s to come. Give it until at LEAST the third preseason game before rushing to any kind of judgment. As Rich pointed out, it’s better to single out individual performances than critique the whole defense in a preseason game.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 14, 2015 at 10:30 AM

Good to see the OL do well but I reserve caution on those results since Cleveland was the worst run defense last season. Regardless, you want to see the young players do well together and come away injury free.

• ET - Aug 14, 2015 at 11:37 AM

I feel the same way. The Skins OL did look better, but the Browns run defense is godawful. So let’s see how they match up against some heavy hitters before we call the problem solved.

14. mr.moneylover - Aug 14, 2015 at 8:55 AM

The offense look way different from last year…I didnt see rg3 hold on the ball and he stand tall in the pocket even when he was under pressure…the O-line looked way better then last year I didnt see nobody get pushed back 5 to 10 yards there’s things they still gotta work on but there very teachable but very good start for the redskins O-line

• 214hof - Aug 14, 2015 at 9:06 AM

Very true, I also like that RG didn’t get skittish when pressure did get home… That pass to Grant was nice, he stood in the pocket, knew he was going to take a shot and still fired it into the WR for a nice gain.

• 214hof - Aug 14, 2015 at 9:26 AM

Actually that play in particular was a PA-roll out, my mistake… But he still took the shot and got the completion. I noticed a big difference in Griffin, he was standing tall in the pocket and scanning the field, big difference from what I saw at the end of last season.

• bangkokben - Aug 14, 2015 at 10:50 AM

But was he trying to hit Paul? Just kidding.

• Heath - Aug 14, 2015 at 10:32 AM

Agreed, RG did look better. But “better” to me from where he was just isn’t going to win this NFC East, or even a .500 season. He needs to look great, as great as he is paid! Hopeful but wouldn’t put a dime on him after what I saw.

15. dkat44 - Aug 14, 2015 at 9:03 AM

Let’s not mention the great play of Cousins because he played against (and with) backups and to keep the “hype” down. 12-14, 154 yards and rushed for a TD. He played a great game.These guys do play on the same team. I think Griffin looked ok and hope he continues to improve.

• kenlinkins - Aug 14, 2015 at 9:41 AM

Did it seem to you the RG3 was “pressing” and Cousins was more relaxed?

• abanig - Aug 14, 2015 at 9:55 AM

Rashard Ross & Ryan Grant had a few great grabs for Cousins and then Garçon had a mojo killing drop on Griffin that should have been a TD. Second times he’s done this to Griffin in two years last time being against the Vikings in Grifgins first game back after the ankle injury.

That’s pretty frustrating from a WR who likes to chirp a lot about the passing game struggling, him not getting enough targets and him taking trash to defenders but not backing it up with his play.

• bangkokben - Aug 14, 2015 at 10:52 AM

As good as Jackson is with the deep ball, Garcon is not. He’s great with the medium range stuff and coming across the middle but not with the bomb.

• Heath - Aug 14, 2015 at 10:34 AM

We are going to lose Cousins eventually. The rest of the NFL that isn’t blinded by RG3 bling, is seeing a QB that can see the field and make the throw.

• abanig - Aug 14, 2015 at 3:23 PM

If the rest of the league – including Kyle Shanhan – thought that highly of Kirk Cousins, he’d already be gone.

Kirk is a capable qb but he has his flaws and is extremely turnover prone.

There’s a chance Kirk could be our starter next year if Griffin looks awful the first month of the season and then Kirk comes in and plays well. Unlike what he did last year.

Everything is totally up in the air with both Kirk and Robert. You can’t base how either are going to play during the regular season off of one or two quarters of preseason play.

Some of you are reading way too much into this game.

• Stephfan - Aug 14, 2015 at 5:32 PM

They really are and it’s pathetic to be honest. Kirk looked better in the system last year but how did that turn out for him 0 wins. And he has looked better in the preseason but of course he gets more playing time than griffin. And he plays against backups… I’m not saying lets all hail rg3 but if Kirk was so good Kyle would have traded for him or any team glforcrhat matter. Kirk only plays good and wins games in the preseason when it doesn’t matter but soon as the real games begin he chokes. Say it with me everyone how many wind does Kirk have as a starter? 1

• Skulb - Aug 14, 2015 at 6:03 PM

@Steph

But he`s played most of those games on a quite bad team; one Griffin hasn`t had much success with either, to put it gently. And he isn`t the starter so obviously he doesn`t start many games. He has come in and won games when RGIII has injured himself and/or played badly on several occasions though. If he had been prepped as the starter and been given time he would have worked through some of his issues by now. He`s no different than Griffin there, except that Griffin hasn`t been able to do that so far either, even though he`s the designated starter. Again, nobody is saying that Kirk is some sort of Messiah, just that he was objectively better than Griffin last season, interceptions and all. And it`s normal for new QBs to have interception/sack problems at first. Since Kirk is backup it takes him longer to resolve the issues. That doesn`t mean he can`t or that he might not elsewhere. If I were managing the New York jets for instance I would take a good long look at Kirk Cousins.
          When he really really sucked was in 2013, when he had an awful season. But the stats for the last three years show Cousins as very good in 2012, rubbish in 2013 and good in 2014. I still think that if you give him opportunities to showcase himself he will attract interest. It`s hard to do that from the bench interestingly enough.

Anyway, both of them need to prove a point the coming season. Griffin to keep his job and Cousins to perhaps get a new one elsewhere. Or the reverse maybe. Who knows?

16. kenlinkins - Aug 14, 2015 at 9:39 AM

Did anyone else get the feeling that the over all coaching of the younger guys seems to have improved? Most of the rookies had limited mistakes and seemed to be playing with good technique and well within the systems design on both offense and defense. I can not explain why Special Teams was still a dumper fire with a fumbled punt and a 54 yard kick off return. The rookie ground game was pretty solid (includes Thomson), the Rookie O-Line had only a few break downs, the rookie pass rush did force QB’s to move and gained a few sacks, the rookie WR’s seemed to be able to get open and hold onto the ball and the rookie LB’s were in position and making tackles. (The Redskins rookies easily out played the Browns rookies) The biggest problems I saw was starters on defense playing way to lose, free lancing, and missing tackles while on offense the LG was beat badly a few times, a star WR drops a TD pass, the QB had a real funny “hop” in his round out to the left on the 3rd down pass to Grant (with a TE out of position) & took too many hits and the back up center plan got blown up. I have to wonder if the coaching staff & GM are starting to wonder if too many of the older hold over vets are coachable with all the changes that are planned. Could this force the new GM to go on a youth movement and a few more young guns play their way on to the 53 man roster. Time will tell but IMO the bottom of the roster is working their up and the top of the roster has yet to move a move.

• gurnblanstonreturns - Aug 14, 2015 at 10:04 AM

Good stuff in this post.

• skinsdiehard - Aug 14, 2015 at 11:55 AM

Defense will be better when Breeland is back and Kerrigan did not play. I still dont like Perry Riley….not a playmaker.

17. Heath - Aug 14, 2015 at 9:54 AM

I think Kirk Cousins showed again what he is capable of.

18. gurnblanstonreturns - Aug 14, 2015 at 10:03 AM

Observations on the first-string offense:

Up: Zero negative runs with 49 yards rushing in the 1st quarter.

Down: Griffin is the same. The “highlight” that his defenders point to is actually representative of his problems. Garcon should have caught the long ball, and he will catch that pass nearly every time, but it was a bad pass. Griffin hesitated, then underthrew the ball late, forcing Garcon to slow down and twist his body. We have seen this over and over again. Look back and see how many long passes that could have easily been TDs have instead been incomplete or just long gains. Then check how many of those drives sputtered to a FG or a turnover if Morris didn’t run for the score. Griffin then followed that misfire with a wild, high and inside sideline pass on 3rd down which ended the drive. Other than his “highlight” throw, Griffin completed a couple short outs, ran for three yards instead of throwing to two open receivers on another 3rd down, completed an off schedule pass to Grant for 22 yards, threw back-to-back miserable fades intended for Garcon and took a bunch of hits.

Griffin cannot play.

Say what you will about Cousins playing against 2nd and 3rd stringers, but a performance going 12 of 14 for 154 yards and producing 17 points is really good work. On a football team where playing time and opportunity is based on merit – Cousins gets a shot at starting.

McCloughan knows that the Griffin situation has to play out on the field. I’m sure he is determined to make sure that this is the last time factors other than actual talent and performance determine playing time.

• Heath - Aug 14, 2015 at 10:23 AM

Exactly.
      Cousins is held to a different standard than RG. They both have had their struggles, but Cousins just scores more points.

• Skulb - Aug 14, 2015 at 9:05 PM

And he moves the offense like a boss. To me the big thing is that when Kirk throws his interceptions he`s usually trying to make something positive happen. When Griffin takes his sacks he`s trying to protect his personal passing stats more than anything, and nothing productive could possibly come from it and the offense slows down to a crawl with three and outs all over the place.
        It`s early days and still time for Griffin to get into gear here. but he really does have to do that in less than a month, or the demands for Cousins will start again, simply because of how he`s always playing in the PS games. It`s like watching Tom Brady or something when Kirk gets going. And there he sits pretty on the bench year in and year out while Griffin copyrights catchphrases at 4-12. It`s maddening I tells ya!

• Heath - Aug 14, 2015 at 10:27 AM

You said it perfectly.
      Thank you for being a fan o the team and not of an over hyped player. Everyone wants to believe in RG, me included, but I don’t let my desperate desire for a winning season cloud my football IQ. I see what I see with RG, and it’s just not good at all.
      Thank you again!

• mr.moneylover - Aug 14, 2015 at 10:35 AM

Say what you want about rg3 he gave p.garcon a chance to catch the ball…if it was d-jax do you think d-jax will drop that pass??? Hell no…face it p.garcon blew that play and didnt help rg3 confidence at all…then on top of that andre roberts fumbles the ball…its time to hold other players accountable not just rg3

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 14, 2015 at 10:44 AM

It appears you watched a different game then everyone else here reporting on it.

• bangkokben - Aug 14, 2015 at 11:01 AM

All of the QBs last year underthrew the bomb. One overthrew the fastest guy on the team twice. This time, he underthrew a catchable ball. The 3rd down pass was to a rookie named Spencer. Was the rookie right in his option route or was Griffin throwing to where the rookie was supposed to be. IDK somehow you do. Taking the two yards for a 1st down was a safe sensible play. The hits? All before three seconds. The pass to Grant was a boot left where the defense was not at all fooled and had three guys there. Great to get rid of the ball and take a hit instead of a sack but mangaged to complete the pass for a gain – bonus.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 14, 2015 at 11:19 AM

I just saw a video of the dropped pass. Anyone who has played and understands football can see that RG3 put it where he needed to for an easy touchdown. By the time RG3 released the pass, Pierre angle had led RG3 towards the sideline. This was all on Garcon! I haven’t watched the game yet but you are the only one I can find in media, discussion, and on the board claiming RG3 is he same. Don’t let the hate get in the way of your logic.

• kenlinkins - Aug 14, 2015 at 12:05 PM

In reviewing the play, I can find 10 things wrong from a coaching stand point, but I would bet my bottom dollar that the first thing out of Gruden’s mouth was “Darn it, Catch The Ball”. (and the dropped pass will be the only thing remembered from that play for a every long time).

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 14, 2015 at 12:24 PM

Valid point! Actually I feel there was more right that occurred out of that play than wrong. Both players should be credited for executing their part very well. Garcon did his job beating his man and RG3 did his by fooling the safety. Was either the pass or route perfect? No! If you watch Garcon’s route, at the point of release, he is heading towards the sideline and not the end zone. This makes it very difficult to hit the receiver in stride if you are aiming for a touchdown. In this scenario, the QB is primarily required to place the pass where the receiver can catch the ball and I think that was accomplished. Since it is just preseason, I think it really is a non issue. There should be more the like about this play than hate.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 14, 2015 at 12:31 PM

I may have to take it back about Garcon’s angle. A Youtube video replay shows more likely Garcon was adjusting to the ball by then. From that video RG3’s pass doesn’t look as precise but very still easily in reach. I wish I was at the game to see the play. It’s usually better than any one video feed can provide

• Heath - Aug 14, 2015 at 12:45 PM

Cousins, Colt, or RG.
          Seems everyone is forgetting or confused. RG is the QB of the future with the most “upside”. He is not necessarily the best QB on the roster.
          It’s all a waiting game. His injuries have stretched this out over too many seasons. We have to just wait and see if he can live up to the hype at the most important position on the football field.
          Time will tell.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 14, 2015 at 1:54 PM

Heath, you have expressed many sentiments I have about RG3’s development. Injuries are the biggest reason for him not being farther along. Many fans think he should be elite by now or where Luck is as a pocket passer. At this point, I’m guessing RG3 has only played maybe half as many games and participated in 3/4 as many practices. Questioning his durability is fair; but don’t also knock his fundamentals unless those same critics are willing to accept his injuries have him at the different stage in his development than other QBs starting out in the NFL the same year.

• gurnblanstonreturns - Aug 14, 2015 at 1:54 PM

Glad to see people are watching the video. It is clear that the ball was late and inaccurate. A receiver making the adjustment, making the catch and making the QB look good is the kind of help that every player needs to have a successful game and a successful career. Griffin didn’t get that help on that play. But . . .

This does not change the utter mediocrity of his overall play (50% comp and 4.5 yds/attempt) or the fact that, yes, the long ball was late and inaccurate.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 14, 2015 at 2:21 PM

I don’t think it was late at all because he used that time to bait the safety. That’s something you see elite QBs do all the time. The pass could have been more accurate to keep Garcon in stride, I’ll give you that. Again, I can’t contend either way about his overall performance in this game. However, I’d rethink your comment that RG3 can’t play.

• Skulb - Aug 14, 2015 at 5:42 PM

I guess it`s possible that Griffin could have aired it out a little more, but I agree that it was at least mostly on Garcon. Not sure what people mean when they say the coaching was faulty though. The play looked solid to me.

• Skulb - Aug 14, 2015 at 11:19 AM

“Cousins gets a shot at starting.”

I don`t agree with everything you wrote but I think I agree with this again. Having said that you have to commit to one starter at QB and it`s going to be Griffin. But if there was a merit based depth chart at QB Cousins would top it right now. Sadly a three year old draft and a Heisman trophy decides who plays QB for this team.
      Maybe the answer is to let them just have a quarter each and then the one who plays best can play the fourth quarter of every game as a bonus. The Redskins could start a new trend; the Quarterback Merry-Go-Round!

Maybe I should trademark that before RGIII does….

• Heath - Aug 14, 2015 at 12:48 PM

Gotta wait this RG experiment out. That’s why the eliminated the drama and name him the starter.

• bangkokben - Aug 14, 2015 at 5:39 PM

Agreed. But let him throw the damn ball. Eight passes? WT Flipity-flop?! Any of those passes on 1st down? Why give Cousins twice as many possessions and a two minute drill? Why call two to one pass attempts to run attempts with Cousins? Griffin needed twice as many pass attempts. In my mind, the two most plausible reasons are: 1) they’re going to use Griffin in a different (more creative) scheme during the season and don’t want to tip their hand; or 2a) they still prefer Cousins and 2b) they needed Cousins throwing to evaluate the other guys at the bottom of the roster (2nd tier o-line and 3rd tier receivers). Still, I’d like to see more pass blocking for the right side of the line as well. Frustrating.

• Skulb - Aug 14, 2015 at 5:46 PM

Sure and I was joking with my QB merry-go-round suggestion. Griffin should start and that`s the end of it. I`m just getting a bit fatigued by never being able to be impressed by him. With all the hype you don`t want him to be bad, passable or average. You want him to be good. Not just good here and there or in on play pr game, but plain old good. And I just don`t see it. I do see it from Cousins on occasion though, which is what has me frustrated with the whole QB situation.
          Hopefully Griffin will rid himself of some question marks this season though. I`m not seeing that either, if I`m perfectly honest. But we have to keep hoping for that anyway. So go Griffin!

• Skinsfan6590 - Aug 14, 2015 at 11:58 AM

(1)You sound like a complete idiot first of all if the receiver touches the ball and doesnt catch it its always the receivers fault i would know thats the position i play if you can get both hands on it you can catch it.( 2) Why throw to open recievers and risk a drop if you can clearly run for it and guarentee the first down thats common sense. (3) on the bad pass comment he threw the ball high and inside because the defender played the reciever on his outside shoulder he was trying to get the reciever to adjust so he could throw him open (4) cousins was pretty much playing in a college level game when it comes to the talent he was up against where as he still had targets on his side that will rotate into the game in the regular season such as grant matt jones and chris thompson hes still the same guy that threw 4 picks in one quarter and ive never seen any qb do that in one quarter and when he got sacked Gruden clearly could be seen saying ive told you a million times open your eyes even i could read lips well enough to see that its obvious gruden has little interest and confidence in cousins if he’ll scream that during a game all accounts are cousins has looked like a joke through training camp

19. Matt - Aug 14, 2015 at 10:19 AM

Garcon with that wide open drop infuriated me.

20. kenlinkins - Aug 14, 2015 at 10:29 AM

Has anyone else picked up on the fact that Tray Williams messed up on his TD run? The play was designed for the hole to open between the TE and RT. The hole was there, There was a hat on every Browns D-Linemen, Dixon (TE) had screened off the DE (91) and WR 18 got his hands on LB 41 to wall him off, WR 85 (Spencer) shot between them and hit the Browns S 33 who was trying to plug the hole but was too late. William for some reason started outside and then turned it back up inside once he saw his mistake. He got lucky that the blocking held and he could get over the goal line. Rookie mistake of a guy with a lot of speed, always looking outside. I am happy he corrected that mid play, knowing it was 3rd down and not making it after everything else worked would be hard to explain in the film room / coach’s meeting. This tell me that the younger guys are learning and that is a great sign.

21. Skulb - Aug 14, 2015 at 11:24 AM

@Rich Tandler

Do you have enough of a handle on the situation to write something about options at TE now that Niles is out for the season? If Logan is gone for the start of the season and Reed gets his traditional hamstring pull, who are they likely to field come September 13?

• kenlinkins - Aug 14, 2015 at 11:55 AM

I love the “traditional hamstring pull” remark. All too true.

• abanig - Aug 14, 2015 at 12:16 PM

I’d like to see them sign Zach Miller – formerly of the raiders & Seahawks before injuring his ankle last year.

If he’s healthy, is sign him to be our blocking TE with Reed staying as the receiving TE.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 14, 2015 at 2:02 PM

Denver is loaded at TE with Julius Thomas, Jacob Tamme, and Virgil Green. If we can snag Virgil Green for a 5th round pick then I’d be happy. I know I hate the thought of trading for a tight end too but Virgil Green has enough experience without being too old to bring instant value to the team.

• bangkokben - Aug 14, 2015 at 5:56 PM

Julius Thomas is on the Jaguars this year. The Broncos couldn’t keep both Thomases.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 14, 2015 at 7:04 PM

Thanks Bang, I didn’t know about that move.

• ET - Aug 14, 2015 at 2:17 PM

FWIW, today John Keim tweeted “was told Zach Miller is not an option for the Redskins.”

So the point has been raised inside the building.

• abanig - Aug 14, 2015 at 2:47 PM

Hmm. His injury must have been pretty bad if he’s not even an option. That sucks.

• Skulb - Aug 14, 2015 at 5:37 PM

What about Cooley? Wasn`t he in the picture even before Paul`s injury? I`m just really curious to see what they can cook up at TE in time for launch.

22. James - Aug 14, 2015 at 11:40 AM

Kirk up very very impressive

RG3 down red zone efficiency, two u catchable balls in red zone ( just like the last two years)

23. skinsdiehard - Aug 14, 2015 at 11:50 AM

You missed Preston Smith for stock up – 6 tkls, 1 sack, 2 tkl for loss

Stock down – Justin Rogers
    RG3 still looks hesitant and mechanical. He just doesnt have natural instincts for the position. Just a track guy playing QB. No savvy.

• kenlinkins - Aug 14, 2015 at 11:54 AM

Justin Roger missed a few tackles and seemed to show up late on pass plays. I Agree, Stock down.

24. kenlinkins - Aug 14, 2015 at 11:52 AM

Someone was posting on here about this kid Terrance Plummer earlier. That kid was all over the field Thursday night. IMO he is the type of player who would have never seen the field under coach Shanahan. Turns out this kid is a gamer. While the numbers may work against him making the team I sure hope he gets on the Practice Squad. He is a bit raw and needs work on coverage skills but there is nothing wrong with his heart. Reminded me of the first time I saw Nell Olkewicz in a preseason game. Push ahead Mr. Plummer, good thing await you!

• skinsdiehard - Aug 14, 2015 at 11:56 AM

He’s probably better than Perry Riley already, who doesn’t make plays. Have you ever seen Riley make a key solo tackle or interception or crucial sack. HELL NO.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 14, 2015 at 2:10 PM

Thanks since I’ll be looking for Plummer tonight on the NFL replay. I had to pay 100 bucks for the option to see the preseason games. Since I go the home games, it become worth the money if I can also find time to watch some of the home regular season games on reruns.

• Skulb - Aug 14, 2015 at 5:49 PM

Agreed. Big plus on Plummer for his performance. Let`s hope he can keep it going. Might be a starting spot in it for him if he can I think.

25. blkdrgn18 - Aug 14, 2015 at 1:31 PM

You missed Preston Smith. That guy was a beast!!

26. wvredskins - Aug 14, 2015 at 1:54 PM

Cousins had an impressive game last night. One thing that he looked real good at was not staring down receivers. One play sticks out that was pretty impressive was when he was looking to his left and then turns right and throws it right on the money with out even really looking at the receiver. It was kinda like a no look pass but very impressive. It seems like he is starting to get it, BUT it was against 2nd stringers and it is only PRESEASON! RG3 sample size was to small for me. He didnt get a chance to get in a rythem. Couple nice passes and of course the one to Garcon was nice. Garcon is in the NFL and def should have caught it but I will say this, playing receiver my self, that is one of the hardest catches to make when you change direction like that. RG had a couple poor throws but what stood out the most to me was his pocket awareness. He stood in there and took shots and got the ball out. With the small sample size I think that you can really tell RG has improved in certain areas. He still has a ways to go but in my eyes a step in the right direction. #5moreSundays HTTR

27. Joe - Aug 14, 2015 at 3:28 PM

Can Chris Cooley even play for the Redskins since he works for them already? I heard he can play for any team BUT the Redskins. Is this wrong?

28. Steven Morrow - Aug 14, 2015 at 4:58 PM

Sounds like same old same old just a different year.

29. timwillhidetimwillhide - Aug 14, 2015 at 7:11 PM

UP The RG & RT positions. The QB actually had time to scan the feild and throw on most of their drop backs.

DOWN CB Culliver he looked like pure junk

• Rich Tandler - Aug 14, 2015 at 8:09 PM

I completely disagree about Cully. Yes, there was that PI call but that was more accidental that poor technique. He got mad after that and made some solid tackles. I was solidly impressed.

• Skulb - Aug 14, 2015 at 9:28 PM

That looked like a poor call to me. Can it really be interference when the receiver turns and runs into the DB like that?

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Aug 15, 2015 at 12:27 AM

It looked to me like he ran in front of the WR and stopped. That’s Pass interference. He also got beat a few times. Yeah he came up and made the tackle but tackling isn’t gonna help if you keep getting Beat.

30. lorcanbonda - Aug 15, 2015 at 10:04 AM

Up — Grant. He looked great. Down — DeAngelo Hall and the Red Zone offense. I can’t remember the last time we had a reliable redzone offense, but I know Cousins and the read option isn’t the one. D. Hall looked slow and tackled poorly. That’s the scariest part of our weak secondary. It’s not like we have Breeland to fall back on for a while.

31. wncskinsfan - Aug 15, 2015 at 1:01 PM

I wish nothing but the best for Robert, but I think we saw hints of “superman” out there, and that has proven to not be sustainable. I doubt he lasts the season, or even half the season. Either injury or poor play, I think. unfortunately, but the small sample size we got really showed his flaws. Cousins will, for sure, get another crack at starting for this team. I am starting to think that the coaches know this already. We have people to sign, and there are 16 mil. reasons to pull the plug on that if injury doesn’t occur first. He is taking too many hits, already, although one of them for sure was on Lavao, but we know enough about Robert to know that durability is an issue for him. that train is coming. we saw it the other nite.

• Stephfan - Aug 15, 2015 at 1:21 PM

So cousins didn’t take hits? And did griffin get sacked? Griffin has proven he can stay healthy… Ala his second season coming off injury. And if garçon had made the catch everyone would be singing a different tune. But griffin wasn’t used to his full potential but what I seen was a qb getting better at his job. He still has work to do but turnover won’t be a starter here. And if he was so good why didn’t any team trade for him?

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 15, 2015 at 5:59 PM

“but we know enough about Robert to know that durability is an issue for him. that train is coming. we saw it the other nite.”

I think you’re the only one that saw it the other night.

• abanig - Aug 15, 2015 at 11:06 PM

I’m sorry, I know most don’t agree with this opinion but I don’t see Robert as injury prone. Injury prone to me is Jordan Reed who never has a major freak type injury that’s more bad luck than anything else but always has nagging injuries that cause him to miss a handful of games each year or more.

Griffin on the other hand has had 2 freak injuries in his 3 years. These are injuries that could have happened to any player on the field and really are out of his control. Other than that, Griffin hasn’t had any injuries to cause him to miss any games.

Facts are facts here. Griffin missed one game his rookie year due to a freak knee injury when a 340 pound defensive lineman hit his leg chainring him down the line of scrimmage. Griffin didn’t miss act games due to injury in 2013 and in 2014 he had a freak dislocation of his ankle and missed 7 games in 2014.

So, out of a possible 48 games Griffin has played in 40 games, hoe exactly is that injury prone?

• Stephfan - Aug 15, 2015 at 11:38 PM