Aug 14, 2015, 6:50 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, August 14, six days before Washington Redskins play the Detroit Lions at FedEx Field.
Stock up-Stock down
CLEVELAND—Preseason games are not about the scoreboard but more about individual performance. Here are players whose stock rose and fell against the Browns last night.
Up—RB Matt Jones: The rookie showed some power, speed, and shiftiness as he ran 5 times for 38 yards and caught 1 pass for 7 yards. He isn’t going to supplant Alfred Morris, who had a solid night carrying the load in the Redskins’ first two series, but he will be a good change of pace and situational back.
Down—OL Josh LeRibeus: The fourth-year player was playing his first extended time at center and he was run over by defenders on numerous occasions. At times it was technique and sometimes it just looked like he was slow off of the ball.
Up—WR Rashad Ross: He is still a long shot to make the team but he did all he could to help his case against the Browns. The first-year player caught five passes for 68 yards, displaying his speed and good ball skills.
Down—KR Andre Roberts: After the Redskins had forced the Johnny Manziel led Browns to punt, Roberts fumbled during the return and the Browns recovered. Manziel eventually scored on a 12-yard scramble.
Up—OLB Jackson Jeffcoat: He got a sack of Manziel just before halftime and pressured him on a few other occasions. He became a long shot for a roster spot when the team signed Junior Galette. The second-year player needs to take advantage of every opportunity, even though he may be auditioning for a chance with another team.
Who did I miss? Hit me up in the comments!
—Today’s schedule: Off day
—It’s been 228 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be 31 days until they play the Dolphins at FedEx Field.
—Days until: Preseason Lions @ Redskins 6; final cuts 22; Redskins @ Giants Thursday night 41
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Quinton Dunbar did something Redskins haven't done since before Facebook existed
- Odell Beckham gets yards, but Josh Norman's Redskins get the win
- Redskins survive behind makeshift offensive line
- Redskins win, but await status of multiple injured players
- Five things we learned from the Redskins win over the Giants
- Report: Redskins' DeAngelo Hall was told he'd torn ACL, MRI scheduled
- Redskins get first win, capitalize on turnovers to edge Giants 29-27
- Odell Beckham Jr. fights kicking net, loses
- Injuries to Lauvao, Lichtensteiger force strange shift on Redskins offensive line
- DeAngelo Hall out after being helped off the field with knee injury