Aug 13, 2015, 5:52 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, August 13, seven days before Washington Redskins play the Detroit Lions at FedEx Field.
What to watch for
CLEVELAND—Here are five things to watch during the Redskins’ preseason game against the Browns:
Robert Griffin III—Yeah, this one is pretty obvious. He should play more than he did a year ago in the preseason opener against the Patriots (10 snaps, four pass attempts). Griffin has looked much better in training camp this year that he did in 2014, his first season working in Jay Gruden’s offense. But it’s a big leap from training camp to a full speed, live contact preseason game.
The backup quarterbacks—Jay Gruden said that the competition between Colt McCoy and Kirk Cousins will be decided in the preseason games. Cousins gets first crack at it, taking over after Griffin plays for about a quarter. McCoy will probably take over in the fourth quarter. Both will have to do quality work with some players who are unlikely to make the team.
The rushing attack—We’ve heard a lot about more power running and we’ve seen a lot of it in Richmond. It has worked pretty well but the Browns will test it tonight. It also will be fun to see Matt Jones get some physical contact and finish off some runs.
An attacking defense—Joe Barry is bringing an attacking, one-gap scheme to the defense. The problem with such a scheme is that it can lead to some big plays by the opposing offense if it’s not executed correctly. They will have to be fundamentally sound and stick with their assignments from the starters, who should play about a quarter like their offensive counterparts, to the reserves.
Talent at tight end—Jordan Reed and Logan Paulsen both are out for tonight’s game and Niles Paul will play briefly, if at all. Gruden said that the TE snaps will primarily go to Je’Ron Hamm and Chase Dixon. Paulsen’s toe injury could be more than a short-term deal so this is a chance for both Hamm and Dixon to make their cases for roster spots.
—Redskins Hall of Fame linebacker Chris Hanburger was born on this date in 1941.
—Today’s schedule: Redskins @ Browns, preseason, 8:00 p.m., Comcast SportsNet
—It’s been 227 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be 32 days until they play the Dolphins at FedEx Field.
—Days until: Preseason Lions @ Redskins 7; final cuts 23; Redskins @ Giants Thursday night 42
Follow Us On Twitter
- Breeland leaves game with apparent leg injury
- Four Redskins players raise fists during anthem in show of solidarity
- One Redskins defender is honoring Chief Zee with his cleats Sunday
- Redskins vs. Giants Live Updates: Scores, stats, highlights, analysis
- Redskins vs. Giants inactives: Jackson, Williams both active against GIants
- Redskins look to change their fortune with a change of uniform
- Get your popcorn ready- Josh Norman to exclusively cover Odell Beckham
- Week 3 Redskins vs. Giants Weather report: A cooler day for heated rivals
- Need to Know: Final thoughts on Redskins vs. Giants
- Redskins vs Giants Preview: 5 things you need to know as 'Skins get desperate