Aug 2, 2015, 5:58 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, August 2, 12 days before Washington Redskins open their preseason against the Browns.
If you need to catch up on what’s happening in Richmond, scroll to the bottom for a list of our posts from the last 24 hours.
Redskins deep at corner—for now
RICHMOND—Somehow, Bashaud Breeland escaped major injury on Friday when he slipped while in coverage and bent his knee at an unnatural angle. It didn’t look good after it happened, as Breeland stayed on the ground for several minutes before being carted off the field. He was in obvious pain as he the cart headed to the locker room.
The prognosis that came back, however, was quite optimistic given initial expectations. Jay Gruden said on Saturday that they expect him to be out four to six weeks with a sprained MCL. The Redskins’ season opener is six weeks from today. Breeland has been suspended for that game so he is first eligible to play on September 20 in Week 2 against the Rams. Should there be a setback he could miss that game and return the next Thursday night against the Giants or, since that is a short week, possibly on October 4 against the Eagles.
The Redskins’ depth chart at cornerback should be able to handle a one to three-game Breeland absence. Chris Culliver and DeAngelo Hall are the starters. With Breeland out many thought we might see David Amerson work in at the nickel spot. But Justin Rogers, who played some for the Redskins last year, lined up in the nickel spot after Breeland went out on Friday.
Jay Gruden said the team would sort through some options.
“We have Justin Rogers, we drafted Tevin Mitchel. He was a nickel in college at Arkansas and he’s going to get some reps,” said Gruden. “We’re going to try Kyshoen [Jarrett] in there a little bit today so we’ve got some guys in there to fill in.”
The surprise name in the mix was Jarrett, who was drafted out of Virginia Tech as a safety. It would be surprising if the team used a rookie who is a converted safety as their first option at nickel back with Breeland out. But he may be their best option
Gruden said that the team viewed Amerson as more of an outside corner. As a rookie, Amerson usually came in for passing situations but he would go to the outside with Josh Wilson taking the slot receiver.
Whichever inexperienced corner gets the roster spot that will be vacated by Breeland’s Week 1 absence from the roster will have to get up to speed in a hurry. The fourth corner on game days usually takes at least a handful of snaps and, of course, he has to be ready if any of the top three goes down with an injury.
Like most teams, the Redskins can survive one short-term injury at a position. The issues come with multiple injuries at a position. The Redskins will hope that the rest of the group stays healthy. They will be keeping a particularly close eye on Hall’s twice-torn Achilles tendon. It might be wise to give him a few extra days off to increase the chances that he remains on the field.
—Today’s schedule: Redskins walkthrough, 10:35 a.m.; Jay Gruden news conference approx. 2:45; Redskins practice, 3 p.m.
—It’s been 217 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be 42 days until they play the Dolphins at FedEx Field.
—Days until: Preseason opener @ Browns 11; final cuts 34; Redskins @ Giants Thursday night 53
In case you missed it
- Redskins camp news, notes, and quotes, Day 3
- Gruden confirms Breeland will miss 4 to 6 weeks
- Practice report, Day 3
- Efficiency is key at QB
- ‘Skins GM on Galette: ‘We felt fine with him as a person’
- Tarik’s camp checklist: Day 3
- Redskins’ Garçon stays late, shows leadership
- Breeland responds to suspension on Twitter
Follow Us On Twitter
- A lucky win for the Redskins? Or were Giants lucky to be in it?
- Need to Know: Redskins 29, Giants 27 by the numbers
- MRI reveals Redskins' DeAngelo Hall has completely torn ACL
- Su'a Cravens channels Chappelle Show in perfect postgame tweet after Redskins win
- Jamison Crowder drops Giants special-teamer with obscene juke
- Quinton Dunbar did something Redskins haven't done since before Facebook existed
- Odell Beckham gets yards, but Josh Norman's Redskins get the win
- Redskins survive behind makeshift offensive line
- Redskins win, but await status of multiple injured players
- Five things we learned from the Redskins win over the Giants