Need to Know: Redskins’ Garçon stays late, shows leadership

Aug 1, 2015, 6:04 AM EDT

Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, August 1, 12 days before Washington Redskins open their preseason against the Browns.

Garçon demonstrates Leadership

RICHMOND—On Thursday, I was observing some of the Redskins receivers as they practiced making catches from the automatic ball thrower called the JUGS machine. The receivers line up about five yards away from the machine and it fires balls at the player at a fairly high rate of speed.

After Pierre Garçon spent some time catching balls, Andre Roberts, who currently is the team’s top slot receiver, took his turn in front of the machine. Roberts was struggling to catch the ball and I tweeted the following:

The tweet drew a lot of retweets and comments from fans who wanted to see Roberts cut or at least benched. The calls certainly are premature but disappointment in Roberts’ ability to hold on to the ball is certainly justified. Among NFL receivers who were targeted at least 55 times last year, Roberts had the worst drop rate at 11 percent; none of the others in that group had even a 10 percent drop rate.

But Roberts isn’t the story here. Garçon, who could have gone inside and hit the showers when he was done, stayed out and gave Roberts some pointers. He demonstrated the proper technique, watched as Roberts didn’t quite get it, and then explain and demonstrated again.

I was standing with my CSN Washington colleague Brian Mitchell while this was going on. “That’s leadership,” said Mitchell. “That’s how it’s done.”

Earlier in the offseason there was some talk on social media and in the media that the Redskins may consider releasing Garçon to save the $5.3 million in cap space that such a move would create. But the reality was that the Redskins never even considered putting Garçon on the waiver wire.

And the leadership he displayed after practice on Thursday is a big reason why he remains in burgundy and gold. Between that and his on-field productivity, writing out the checks for his $7.1 million salary this year was a very easy decision.

Today’s schedule: Redskins walkthrough, 10:35 a.m.; Jay Gruden news conference approx. 2:45; Redskins practice, 3 p.m.

—It’s been 216 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be 43 days until they play the Dolphins at FedEx Field.

Days until: Preseason opener @ Browns 12; final cuts 35; Redskins @ Giants Thursday night 54

1. kenlinkins - Aug 1, 2015 at 7:25 AM

Rich: From what you have seen so far is that “Small group of guys who just do not get it” starting to turn it around and has the total number of these guys been / will be reduced? (assumes your 53 man roster is close to right).

2. sidepull - Aug 1, 2015 at 7:48 AM

Garcon is the best WR of the bunch. He carried the whole mess by himself in 2013 well before Djax got here and everybody knew Garcon was going to get the ball. RG3 has to get that guy the ball this year.

3. colorofmyskinz - Aug 1, 2015 at 8:10 AM

That is great leadership!! A true leader is not concerned about competition, they seek it -knowing it will raise the bar for all.

Now Roberts – I would much rather see grant in front of him any day and all day. Then I would rather see crowder fight for that number 1 position.

Andre is only good for a backup kick returner and back up slot on my opinion.

4. hk2000 - Aug 1, 2015 at 8:40 AM

Those who were talking about Releasing Garcon are not fans- any one can register here or on any blog and say they are a fan, that means nothing!!!!!

5. kenlinkins - Aug 1, 2015 at 9:13 AM

Rich: IMO this is an area of the NFL (leadership, staying late, putting in the hours required, study habits and helping team mates) that many of us fans love to shot off our mouths about when in fact we really do not have any clue what really happens in and around the locker rooms & practice fields. While I do have many close friends who have played in the NFL (major college football & MLB) in the past, I can say that none of them will say that even they know what is happening today as the NFL has changed so much over the years. This is where us fans have to pick media types who we trust to forward information we can use to gain the “feel” of a team. Each year every team has a “feel” to it, some are correcting problems while others are on the decline. While we fans can watch games and have a general understanding of what is happening on the field we should not take everything we read to heart. One of the reasons I read this web site is that I have found that Rich is right way more than he is wrong. I trust when he writes something like this that it is more that a one time thing. My guess is that Garcon has shown this type of actions before and Rich is now using that to make the point that Garcon is worth the money he is getting. My hope is that Rich is starting to get a “feel” for this year team and that we Redskins fans will like the results. My other hope is that some of the less concerned Redskins players are reading this web site and picking up on the “new feel” and start joining in the process of learning how to win! Rich, please try and keep an eye out for these kinds of things as I for one trust your reporting and look forward to your insight.

• gonavybeatarmy - Aug 1, 2015 at 9:26 AM

Good comment. And of course, Rich Tandler is the best in the business- all meat, no sizzle.

• kenlinkins - Aug 1, 2015 at 9:45 AM

The bottom is that you read this web site for one of three reasons; 1. You trust Rich’s insight to everything Redskins and become a better fan. 2. You enjoy a good debate with good fans as you try and learn something you didn’t know, 3. You just want to be a jerk by showing you just do not know the game yet. I have found that Rich handles all 3 very well! (and while I do not always agree with him, I know that if he says I am way off base, that I better check myself before I get pick off!)

• rtcwon - Aug 1, 2015 at 11:12 AM

4) You are a self important, long winded, know-it-all begging a respected reporter to affirm your insights.

• kenlinkins - Aug 1, 2015 at 4:47 PM

As B. Mac once said “When you point your finger at someone else, you have three pointed at yourself”.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 1, 2015 at 5:47 PM

Nice retort Ken!

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 1, 2015 at 5:51 PM

5) You are dull fan that brings very little to any discussion on this forum while turning against the passionate fans with inquisitive minds that happen to root for the same team.

• Rich Tandler - Aug 2, 2015 at 11:41 AM

OK, this is turning into a personal attack. Stop it, now. If you don’t, I’ll delete a few and than ban. One and only warning.

6. Raz - Aug 1, 2015 at 10:47 AM

Pierre is a great person and the backbone of this receiving corps, end of discussion.

7. jgd9633 - Aug 1, 2015 at 11:01 AM

Rich, can you give us an explanation on why Breeland is being suspended now for an offense that occurred before the 2014 season? Thanks

• Rich Tandler - Aug 1, 2015 at 11:17 AM

No, I can’t. Nobody seems to have one and they are not allowed to discuss drug suspensions.

• gonavybeatarmy - Aug 1, 2015 at 11:28 AM

It was collectively bargained that anything related to drugs during the preseason phase gets pushed into the next season. This is why Blount’s suspension as well as Le’veon Bell’s suspension were delayed.

• jgd9633 - Aug 1, 2015 at 11:41 AM

Seems like a weird thing to wait a year, but thanks for the info

8. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Aug 1, 2015 at 11:20 AM

Good to see Moses showing progress.

9. berniebernard666 - Aug 1, 2015 at 12:55 PM

Rich can you tell us why the Redskins keep playing guys who cannot contribute? Roberts led the league in drops and there is a reason for that: HE CAN’T CATCH. so find out why they keep him because throwing to him on 3rd down is just a wasted play. Might as well punt early.

Why play Golston. Kedric is a nice guy, but he has never made “a play” in his life. He is “just a guy”. A rookie prospect…..ANY rookie prospect has more potential and upside for the future than an over 30 “just a guy”.

These are just 2 prime examples of guys who are “just a guy” that would fit nicely on a 4-12 team……Oh wait……

• Rich Tandler - Aug 1, 2015 at 1:24 PM

There are players in camp who have an opportunity to beat out Roberts and Kedric. If they do it, they will play.

10. gurnblanstonreturns - Aug 1, 2015 at 1:50 PM

McCloughan seems to recognize that there are certain guys whom you cannot afford not to pay if you want to build a solid team that shows continuity and competes year in and year out. Garcon is at the top of that list in Washington.

11. mr.moneylover - Aug 1, 2015 at 5:39 PM

Andre Roberts better learn from david amerson cause david amerson is in jay gruden dog house…david amerson still wont be a starter after breeland got hurt CB justin Rodgers will take breeland spot for week 1 and tevin mitchel will get a chance along with the Virginia tech safety we drafted to play in breeland spot for week 1

12. redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 1, 2015 at 5:41 PM

I hate even bring up Breeland’s injury because I’m already ticked about it. However, with the timing of the suspension I wonder if his mind was elsewhere that help contribute to the injury. Some reports I read indicated he was getting beat quite a bit in practice that day before he went down.

Anyway, here’s to a quick recovery! BTW – I can’t stand suspensions due to marijuana use. I’ve never smoked anything in my life but I know many that have and it is in most cases less harmful than alcohol use. Oh, I do drink so I’m not preaching just making a point that marijuana needs to be allowed in the NFL. Just stop the f’n suspensions players for marijuana! Archives