Jul 22, 2015, 5:17 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Wednesday, July 22, 8 days before the Washington Redskins start training camp.
Media coverage of Redskins training camp gets underway a week from today. Coach Jay Gruden and possibly a player or two will speak to the media from the Bon Secours Redskins Training Center in Richmond sometime in the afternoon. Here are five questions that should be covered in the session with Gruden:
Will anyone start the season on the PUP list? The biggest question mark is DeAngelo Hall. He will have had about nine months to rehab since he tore his Achilles for the second time but injuries like that don’t necessarily work on a set timetable. Morgan Moses’ Lisfranc happened about seven months ago and with a guy his size a foot injury can be slow to heal. There don’t seem to be major concerns about the three starters who missed all or most of the offseason program, Trent Williams, Ryan Kerrigan, and Jordan Reed, but you never know.
What does Robert Griffin III need to do to keep the starting job? Sometimes it’s difficult to get Gruden to be specific about Griffin but on occasion he will open up. It would be good to get a couple of fundamental things to look for.
Will Matt Jones continue to get reps with the first team? Jones got a lot of reps with the first team during OTAs and minicamp, but Alfred Morris really didn’t need the work. Now that camp has started Morris could go back to getting most or all of the time with the revamped offensive line. That is, unless there is a major role planned for Jones.
Is your top job still identifying the best 53? He said this before camp last year and it kind of struck me as odd that there wasn’t much emphasis on getting ready for the season. Certainly, getting the 53-man roster right is on priority. But is it more important than getting the 35 or so players who will be participating in the vast majority of the plays ready to play against the Dolphins in Week 1?
Will Jeron Johnson and Duke Ihenacho continue to alternate first team reps at strong safety? It seemed that Johnson was brought in to be the starter but they both took snaps with the starters during OTAs and minicamp.
Do you have any to add? Sound off in the comment section below.
—It’s been 206 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be 53 days until they play the Dolphins at FedEx Field.
—Days until: Redskins training camp starts 8; Preseason opener @ Browns 22; final cuts 45
In case you missed it
- Morris often stopped before he got started
- Redskins rookie to watch—WR Evan Spencer
- Former Redskins Pro Bowler eyes potential NFL comeback
- Virginia governor suggests D.C. in play for new Redskins stadium
- Ranking the Redskins continues: No. 20 thru 16
- RG3 improves on new QB ranks list, but still near bottom
- Madden ’16 gives solid rating to Redskins rookie Brandon Scherff
Follow Us On Twitter
- New RedskinsTalk Podcast - Injury trouble emerges after Giant win
- Redskins Playbook: Lots of moving parts with injuries on O-line, secondary
- Redskins forced to shuffle interior O-line again
- Redskins Hopkins named NFC special teams player of the week
- The Sports Junkies on Odell Beckham Jr.: 'He's a wreck'
- Redskins Stat Breakdown: Washington runs its way to victory
- Need to Know: First thoughts on Redskins vs. Browns—Too obvious to be a trap
- Redskins announce Lichtensteiger, Hall to injured reserve, two players signed
- Redskins move Kory Lichtensteiger to IR, make add at center, per report
- With DeAngelo Hall done for the year, Redskins try out former Gators safety