Need to Know: Five questions for Jay Gruden prior to the start of Redskins training camp

Jul 22, 2015, 5:17 AM EDT

Gruden rookie camp

Here is what you need to know on this Wednesday, July 22, 8 days before the Washington Redskins start training camp.

Nickel coverage

Media coverage of Redskins training camp gets underway a week from today. Coach Jay Gruden and possibly a player or two will speak to the media from the Bon Secours Redskins Training Center in Richmond sometime in the afternoon. Here are five questions that should be covered in the session with Gruden:

Will anyone start the season on the PUP list? The biggest question mark is DeAngelo Hall. He will have had about nine months to rehab since he tore his Achilles for the second time but injuries like that don’t necessarily work on a set timetable. Morgan Moses’ Lisfranc happened about seven months ago and with a guy his size a foot injury can be slow to heal. There don’t seem to be major concerns about the three starters who missed all or most of the offseason program, Trent Williams, Ryan Kerrigan, and Jordan Reed, but you never know.

What does Robert Griffin III need to do to keep the starting job? Sometimes it’s difficult to get Gruden to be specific about Griffin but on occasion he will open up. It would be good to get a couple of fundamental things to look for.

Will Matt Jones continue to get reps with the first team? Jones got a lot of reps with the first team during OTAs and minicamp, but Alfred Morris really didn’t need the work. Now that camp has started Morris could go back to getting most or all of the time with the revamped offensive line. That is, unless there is a major role planned for Jones.

Is your top job still identifying the best 53? He said this before camp last year and it kind of struck me as odd that there wasn’t much emphasis on getting ready for the season. Certainly, getting the 53-man roster right is on priority. But is it more important than getting the 35 or so players who will be participating in the vast majority of the plays ready to play against the Dolphins in Week 1?

Will Jeron Johnson and Duke Ihenacho continue to alternate first team reps at strong safety? It seemed that Johnson was brought in to be the starter but they both took snaps with the starters during OTAs and minicamp.

Do you have any to add? Sound off in the comment section below.

—It’s been 206 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be 53 days until they play the Dolphins at FedEx Field.

Days until: Redskins training camp starts 8; Preseason opener @ Browns 22; final cuts 45

1. skinsgame - Jul 22, 2015 at 6:05 AM

Maybe you can ask him if there is any truth to the rumor that Robert Griffin Jr is going to be the 4th play caller in the regular season. If 3 is ok, 4 has to be even better, right?

2. gonavybeatarmy - Jul 22, 2015 at 7:46 AM

Coach Gruden;

Do you categorically deny that you were not one of the sources in the recent Mike Sando ESPN piece indicating that Griffin was effectively finished as an NFL quarterback? And, if you say you were not, would you permit Mr. Sando from revealing whether you were?

• kenlinkins - Jul 22, 2015 at 10:35 AM

I hope coach Gruden would not be so dumb as to say those things about any member of the Redskins to any reporter NO MATTER WHAT! If I had to build a list of people who might say that, I would place Ex Redskins coach’s from 2013 on it and Kyle Shanahan would be on top of that list (as the story said it was a NFL offensive coach who is still in the game today, and Kyle fits but so do about 150 other people and you never know who might have a ax to grind).

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jul 23, 2015 at 8:13 AM

I’d say that Gruden is closer to being finished as a NFL Coach than RG3 as a NFL QB! If this season even goes bad from the start then Gruden will start to lose his play calling and possibly other roles to the more experienced coaches now on the staff. If RG3 fails here there will be another NFL team to quickly snag him. I often wonder what RG3 would do in NE’s system. That may become a possibility since this organization has not done well in the coaching department since choosing Schottenheimer only to toss a very good coach for an unprepared Spurrier.

• hk2000 - Jul 23, 2015 at 2:26 PM

Couldn’t have said it better my self. I’ve been saying Zorn2.0, and I’m still sayin it.

3. Corey - Jul 22, 2015 at 8:01 AM

Can you ask about harvest fest this year?….

• Rich Tandler - Jul 22, 2015 at 2:33 PM

That’s a Bruce question. Might get him later in camp.

4. hk2000 - Jul 22, 2015 at 8:33 AM

I agree with all your questions except the Griffin one- I say leave it be. Let’s see how the season unfolds without any drama generating questions. This coach is as transparent as an aquarium, so he’ll probably provide you want even without being asked.

• gonavybeatarmy - Jul 22, 2015 at 8:57 AM

You’re absolutely right. I wish he’d go straight Belichik today or Joe Jackson Gibbs circa mid-80s.

5. timwillhidetimwillhide - Jul 22, 2015 at 9:50 AM

Are you gonna use the Preseason to streamline the play calling since using more than 1 person to get the call in takes time? Are you gonna commit more to the run early this year? Are you gonna stick with 1 QB for the season? Are you gonna modify your Offense to maximize your players strengths or are you gonna just call your system with no variations from it?

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Jul 22, 2015 at 9:57 AM

Also What do you think of Chris Cooley coming out of retirement and are the Skins gonna bring him in for a try out?

• kenlinkins - Jul 22, 2015 at 10:45 AM

Gee, I hope not.

• hk2000 - Jul 22, 2015 at 11:04 AM

Not only should he stay retired, he should retire from radio & TV as well.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Jul 22, 2015 at 11:12 AM

I’m not sure he would be a good fit for us. I just think it would be a good and interesting question.

• Rich Tandler - Jul 22, 2015 at 2:32 PM

I’d be extremely surprised, given that McCloughan doesn’t like 30+ year old free agents and has no sentimental attachment to Cooley.

• rtcwon - Jul 23, 2015 at 2:11 PM

My understanding is if Gruden says ‘run’ Callahan calls the play, if he says ‘pass’ McVay calls the play.

Thats only one play caller.

• hk2000 - Jul 23, 2015 at 2:32 PM

It’s not Run or Pass per se, there are a 1000 possible pass plays and Gruden knows/runs maybe 2 at most! Not only that, he is so transparent, he wouldn’t know misdirection if it hit him in the face!

6. kenlinkins - Jul 22, 2015 at 10:23 AM

Rich, My list of questions for coach Gruden is only about 101 questions long. The first question I would ask him is “What did you learn as a rookie head coach in 2014 that will help the Redskins post more than 4 win in 2015?” Anyone in a leadership role understands that turning around a group of people starts with yourself. I want him to tell us just what he did poorly and how he will correct those things!

• ET - Jul 22, 2015 at 2:22 PM

We can’t know what Gruden would actually say in response to your question, but it’s certainly encouraging that coaches like Callahan and Cavanaugh were hired. Seems like he learned that an NFL head coach needs to surround himself with trustworthy assistants, and that he (Gruden) can’t micro-manage everything.

• kenlinkins - Jul 22, 2015 at 2:45 PM

I wonder how many of the changes in coaching staff were the new GM vs. the head coach! Your idea on the subject of “Trust” in the coach’s (and I would add players) is something I am going to try and watch. A coach with trust issues is not a good thing for a locker room!

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jul 23, 2015 at 8:17 AM

Exactly Ken! I think it was McCloughan that pushed for those hires and as a message to Gruden which is even though he is a coach he is on a short leash.

7. mr.moneylover - Jul 22, 2015 at 12:47 PM

Is perry Riley job safe with the starters ??? Will will compton get his chance to finally start with the starters ??? How is martrell spaights coming long with learning how to pass coverage ??? Will Jamison Crowder get most the reps with the starters ??? Did rg3 make progress after the long break or did he regress ??? will we see jeron johnson and nacho on the field at the same time this season ??? This season is all about going back to the roots of this team that made this team successful in 2012 ???will we see rg3 run more read option this season then last season ???….its so many question

8. ET - Jul 22, 2015 at 2:15 PM

If D. Hall is on the PUP list, are the Skins still on the hook for his full contract? I don’t recall.

I won’t be surprised if Moses lands on the PUP list. Lisfranc injuries are tricky. And, frankly, there’s no rush unless Williams is behind schedule on his recovery. Maybe I’ll retract that. While it’s important that Moses recover fully, I am worried by the lack of depth at tackle. It’s potentially a very good offensive line, but with a setback or two, it could be a bad OL.

• Rich Tandler - Jul 22, 2015 at 2:31 PM

As far as Hall, his contract is not guaranteed but he would get paid if he goes to in-season PUP. After six weeks (or about $1.4 million) they could decide to release him with no further financial obligation.

• kenlinkins - Jul 22, 2015 at 2:38 PM

Rich: IYO would that be a good bet? $1.4 million to keep a CB of Hall’s Talent within easy reach in case of injury or failure to develop of some of the young guns?

• Rich Tandler - Jul 23, 2015 at 4:52 AM

PUP is not really easy reach. He can’t practice until the window opens and, again, it’s six weeks minimum. I think you make a decision on him by the time final cuts roll around.

9. Arul - Jul 22, 2015 at 4:05 PM

10. Joe - Jul 23, 2015 at 1:30 AM

Any chance the Redskins have interest in Cooley?

• Rich Tandler - Jul 23, 2015 at 4:49 AM

I doubt it.

• Rich Tandler - Jul 23, 2015 at 4:52 AM

I’m hearing they do not.

11. redskinsnameisheretostay - Jul 23, 2015 at 8:22 AM

As much as I like Cooley, I don’t see a comeback turning out very well for him. Other coaches considered him lacking in the conditioning department. Anytime you expect a comeback from a player he normally is a well disciplined athlete that stays in shape year around. Cooley was never referred to as that type of player. While he has talent he doesn’t have enough to get by just that alone in the NFL at his age. Archives