Need to Know: Can Morris thrive behind Redskins’ power blocking?

Jul 17, 2015, 5:14 AM EDT

Alfred-Morris-vs-Jags

Here is what you need to know on this Friday, July 17, 13 days before the Washington Redskins start training camp.

Nickel coverage

Here are five thoughts on the state of the Redskins with less than two weeks to go until training camp starts.

—I mentioned DeAngelo Hall’s situation in a post yesterday but I though I’d bring up again here to expand on it a bit. Chris Culliver is the top cornerback. Bashaud Breeland is somewhere in the top three and it’s likely that David Amerson is as well. So that leaves Hall as the fourth cornerback. The problem with that is that he is slated to collect a $4 million salary this year. That’s a crazy amount to pay your fourth CB; it doesn’t even make much sense if he’s the third. Add to that the fact that he’s coming off of a double Achilles tear. If he steps on the practice field with that contract and gets reinjured, the Redskins are on the hook for the entire $4 million. We may not see him on the field in Richmond with that same contract still in place.

—The season can’t start soon enough. Why is a conversation that took place two and a half years ago between a fired coach and the current quarterback even remotely interesting to anybody at this point? Yes, I realize that the topic came up in a Robert Griffin III Q&A on the team produced Redskins Nation show. Regardless, the fact that Griffin and Mike Shanahan had very different versions of the same meeting is not exactly surprising. It’s a dynamic that is duplicated in workplaces thousands of times a day. There’s a disagreement and the two principals tell others vastly different versions of how it went down. One person’s contentious argument is the other’s frank and open discussion. Yawn. All that matters is what Griffin does starting in two weeks.

—One of the more under discussed storylines going into the year is how Alfred Morris will perform running behind power blocking. I’ve been reading some evaluations of him that say he’s by far at his best running behind zone blocking. The one-cut style suits him best. Morris didn’t run very well when the Redskins did use power blocking last year, but it’s not like the line gave him any gaping holes that he missed. Now you have a line that is being retooled to an emphasis on the power scheme. How will Morris do quickly hitting the hole? I tend to think he’ll be OK but I can’t dismiss the skeptics until I see it.

—Yesterday morning I saw the wall-to-wall coverage that the NFL Network and ESPN were giving to the Dez Bryant and Demaryius Thomas contract situations and I was close to tweeting that it was a massive waste of time. I saw very little chance that either would sign a long-term deal. Glad I didn’t hit send on that tweet. Both got deals done within just a couple of hours of the deadline. It was a perfect illustration of the saying that deadlines drive deals.

—I get asked about extensions for Ryan Kerrigan and Trent Williams all the time. One of the problems in getting these deals done is that there is no deadline; neither player becomes a free agent until March 15, 2016. Until there’s a deadline, the team can focus on what might happen if the player signs a big extension and gets injured or if his level of play declines. The player’s side can worry about signing a deal and then immediately becoming underpaid by having a big season right after signing. As the deadline approaches, those thoughts go away and the consequences of not getting a deal done move come into focus. That pushes the deal to completion. Some deals do get done without a dealing but they tend to be few and far between.

—It’s been 201 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be 58 days until they play the Dolphins at FedEx Field.

Days until: Redskins training camp starts 13; Preseason opener @ Browns 27; final cuts 50

1. colorofmyskinz - Jul 17, 2015 at 6:00 AM

I think paying Dhall $4 M will be as stupid as it gets. 31 years old with 2 tares??? Are you kidding me? I thought they already restructured his deal to basically $1 M based on his playing time and health while he was recovering. What am I missing here?

He is not worth more than $ in my opinion, especially with the depth we have. I say move on.

RGIII, I care about performance and not killing our lockerroom with drama.

Cut the deals for KERRIGAN and Williams after we see 16 games from both. Their health concerns me.

MORRIS, needs to work in becoming a well rounded back, he is NOT. He needs to block for jones or he is gone period. Because you know jones will block for him. He needs to learn the new system. He needs to learn to catch screens much better, how many dropped? He needs to learn how to protect his QB. Total yards is not everything. I want to see him develop at his other roles when the ball is not in his hands.

I don’t like one trick ponies and we have plenty.

• Skulb - Jul 17, 2015 at 6:07 AM

The four people you just discarded are basically also the four most productive players on the Washington Redskins in recent memory though. Some might suggest that this would be reason enough to keep them around, in Hall`s case for his experience and leadership if nothing else. Even if he can`t actually play the entire season he can give advice to his backups and replacements. That might be a worth a few million after all when you think about it.

• colorofmyskinz - Jul 17, 2015 at 6:45 AM

Clarks was kept for leadership. Nuff said. I have news for Redskins fans Scot will not pay for just leadership he will pay for performance. Also Scott will not be paying massive contracts for RBs that are beyond five years the NFL average lifespan for RBs. If Scot was not there we probably would’ve given Adrian Peterson $100 million guaranteed.

We have a real GM now.

• Skulb - Jul 17, 2015 at 8:10 AM

Yes but these are four of the top performers on the team for crying out loud! I mean your whole argument here is just so weird. Let`s just kick every good player we have just as soon as they get injured. That`s how we get success! And why isn`t RGIII on this little list of yours? He hasn`t performed well at all AND he`s constantly injured.

• bangkokben - Jul 17, 2015 at 9:29 AM

Who’s money are you saving? The Redskins made the deal. The deal fits under the cap. Live with it. Who is there out there that the Redskins could then sign? The combination of Hall’s, Culliver’s, Amerson’s, and Breeland’s cap hits along with Tracy Porter’s dead money still don’t add up to Dallas’ cap hit for Brandon Carr! This is a non-issue

Players get injured all the time and the team releases the player because it is best for the team. In this case, it is the cheap thing to do for the team. With going into negotiations with Williams and Kerrigan, it would behoove the team to LOOK LIKE it cares about it’s players. Forcing a restructure with Hall or releasing him might be all Trent or Ryan needs to say: “Forget it. I’m going to hit the open market.” After all if the team does this to Hall, they will do it to them.

• Skulb - Jul 17, 2015 at 10:57 AM

I was being sarcastic though. I agree with you. When people have given the club as much quality as Hall has for many years you give them some time to recover.
          If it turns out that he can`t perform anymore you have a talk with him about that after the season. As for cutting Williams and Kerrigan it`s just so off the wall i have trouble even responding to it.
          To me those are the two guys you keep, come hell or high water.

• bangkokben - Jul 17, 2015 at 3:53 PM

I meant this comment for Color of my Skinz. My point about Trent Williams and Ryan Kerrigan is that they are priority free agents after this season and how the organization deals with other similar players coming off injury could be the tipping point for these future free agents to not want to re-sign with Washington.

• Skulb - Jul 17, 2015 at 3:56 PM

Oh I agree there. I was just so flustered by Color demanding that we cut Williams and Kerrigan. Oh and Hall and Morris. That`s like what an Eagles fan infiltrating here would suggest or something…
          Hey just cut all your best players! It`ll be great!

• abanig - Jul 17, 2015 at 12:43 PM

Exactly. If Hall is healthy and our 3rd/4th corner or extra safety on 3rd and long and we move Ihenacho or Jeron Johnson to An in the box safety to cover the TE, he’ll be more than worth $4 million.

I wonder who’s going to man the slot? That could be Hall as well. He did it in 2008 when we first signed him and he did it in 2011 or 12 I think.

It could also be Breeland. Breeland gave an interview saying he’s been working in the slot this offseason on 3rd downs.

• bangkokben - Jul 17, 2015 at 6:15 PM

He may not be ‘worth’ $4M or good value at $4M to be the team’s 4th corner or for the other intangibles he brings but so what? Morris is great salary cap value for a starting running back and Breeland is also great value for a second or third corner. Griffin this year is a great salary cap value for a starting QB. The point isn’t to get good to great value at every spot on the roster. The point is the win football games and you have to do that within the cap. If releasing Hall or restructuring his contract helps win football games, I’d be swayed for it. But it doesn’t. It simply allows the organization to keep some cash. I’m a fan. I don’t pay the bills and it’s not like this organization is cash strapped. The ‘skins are $5M under the cap right now and you’d have to replace Hall. Right now he gives excellent depth. Depth that we desperately needed last year. If we can Tracy Porter for last year’s effort, we certainly can pay Hall what we AGREED to pay him.

I know I’m probably preaching to the choir on this one but when fan’s act like it’s still 2000 it burns my britches.

• skinsgame - Jul 18, 2015 at 9:22 AM

With Amersons inconsistency and the fact that the team is under the cap, I’d be surprised if they let Hall walk. There is a compelling argument for potential reinjury, however. Same can be said for Griffin and his situation.

• Blackbutcolorblind - Jul 17, 2015 at 12:03 PM

Also don’t forget Morris carried skins to playoffs when rg3 was hurt and clearly couldn’t run. His over 200 yard romp against Cowboys when rg3 couldn’t run and was hurt was reason they made playoffs. Not rg3

• abanig - Jul 17, 2015 at 12:37 PM

Exactly. Morris is a Guy who needs the rock. He gets stronger in the second halves.

• Blackbutcolorblind - Jul 17, 2015 at 12:09 PM

How any games in last three years has Kerrigan missed? Hardly any of any

• abanig - Jul 17, 2015 at 12:46 PM

I only remember one game where he missed about half of it when he messed up his meniscus in 2013. He never missed a snap though, he’s been very lucky in that regard.

• Blackbutcolorblind - Jul 17, 2015 at 12:10 PM

Kerrigans scooe preventive maintenance. He had one last year too

• Trey Gregory - Jul 18, 2015 at 3:50 AM

Color, was your initial comment a joke? Because that’s just insane man. Let’s just get rid of all our pro bowlers because you say so. Football is a physical game and people get dinged up. It’s the nature of the sport. You don’t get or retain good free agents by kicking great players to the curb the minute they get hurt by playing their asses off for your team. You don’t cut your star players at premium positions especially if there’s nobody better there to fill the spot. Come on man.

Also, Morris has been amazing for this team. He’s about as good a player as you could ever hope for with a 6th round pick. He’s had 1,000 yards every single year in the league. So he’s not great at catching the ball, that’s why they have other RBs on the team to play on 3rd down. He’s a great and tough runner who does everything right on and off the field. What else do you want from him? He’s done everything the team has asked him to do and you want to say thanks by kicking him to the curb. Locker rooms notice that kind of stuff. There’s a lot of teams out there who would love to have Morris, even with his deficiencies in blocking and pass protection. We have….. So, so many more players that deserve the boot before him. If blocking, pass protection, hands, and not being a one trick pony are so important to you then why don’t you drag out TE’s through the mud, they actually deserve that criticism. Which reminds me, Morris also stays healthy. Just another reason to keep him around.

2. colorofmyskinz - Jul 17, 2015 at 6:14 AM

Ok let’s get some straight talk on MORRIS here:
    – 2012, RGIII had over 800 yards running that gave him huge opportunity to gather yards, we will never see RGIII do that again. So MORRIS 2012 again? NOT.
    -2013 and 2014, how many games were we down by 14-21 points late in the third? So we have a 3rd and 21 yards, the defense has 2 up front and 9 in the box. Morris up the middle for 17 yards. Do those 17 yards really count against teams that had real games?

I question the yardage and I more so watch the behaviors. He is great at yards after first contact. And one cut runs. After that there is nothing he is even good at. Not a well rounded back. This year will show what we have. I hope he steps up because I do love his style and attitude.

• Skulb - Jul 17, 2015 at 11:02 AM

Yes but if you get him in some space the dude`s a freight train. The entire running game was lacking last year, and if it can be fixed up a bit I wouldn`t be surprised to see Alf up above 1500 yards again in 2015. You can usually not just blame one guy for something in a running offense. It`s a team sport and he needs blocks and good plays to run. He might even need a credible option. If Robert can run a little this year he might even get it.

3. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Jul 17, 2015 at 8:04 AM

Shanahannigans was great at picking one-cut backs, you have to give him that.

Morris was an awesome 5th round pick. We’ll see.

The whole offense has to gel, it was terrible in so many aspects these last couple years I don’t think I can blame Morris for it.
    ~

4. redskinsnameisheretostay - Jul 17, 2015 at 8:06 AM

I do think there will be a fair amount of sharing the ball between Morris and Jones this season. If Thompson can stay healthy then a running game by committee is very plausible. If not then I see Redd winning out on this roster and playing backup roll behind the two.

I think Morris is capable enough to get his share of the chunk of yards in a power blocking scheme but as a every down back grinding it out, I don’t see it. From my experience in watching Morris; he excels in waiting and then reacting to the where the hole develops and his powerful legs give him initial explosion up field. The power blocking scheme doesn’t give him those angles zone blocking does. Running straight up field and having to shake defenders head on is really going to be a challenge for Morris.

• gasngo14 - Jul 17, 2015 at 8:40 AM

Your assessment does not align with the fact of Morris having great numbers with yards after contact behind line of scrimmage. Only time will tell but i don’t see it being a problem, he needs to work at blocking as does our entire team for that matter and if he can continue keeping healthy i think all will be fine .

• Skulb - Jul 17, 2015 at 11:03 AM

Nothing wrong with two RBs sharing snaps. It`s a demanding position to play and it might also keep defenses guessing a bit more than they generally had to last year.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jul 17, 2015 at 1:35 PM

I agree! Morris could use a break from the past years wear-n-tear. Having two primary running backs is more the norm today for most teams. Morris and Jones isn’t the change of pace two I expect. However, with a hybrid zone and power blocking scheme they can be used together. Collectively they could really wear down defenses with their tough running styles. I’d to add I really like Thompson’s shiftiness and speed. If the guy can stay healthy, he could be the change a pace that really makes a difference in the running game overall.

• Skulb - Jul 17, 2015 at 2:49 PM

Can even use both of them at the same time, I agree. Kyle was very good with the schemes in 2012 but it got a bit one dimensional last year. Considering how prepared defenses were for him as the main threat last season I think Alf did really well.

• abanig - Jul 17, 2015 at 3:31 PM

Jones certainly has the size to play some FB or they can have them both stand to one side of Griffin in the shotgun

5. gonavybeatarmy - Jul 17, 2015 at 8:11 AM

Rich-

There’s no bigger fan of the work you do than me- well, maybe your family. You’re a real treasure for Skins fans, and the rare thoughtful reporter/analyst of the team, without the hyperbole or typical narcisssm and unseemly self-promotion so prevalent in your profession. That said, I can’t disagree more on the most recent episode in the Shanahan/Griffin soap opera.

It really makes me wonder- what the hell does Tony Wylie do? He has been leading the organization’s PR efforts for a few years now, and yet Griffin and even Gruden are unnecessarily talkative. How would Brady or Belichik handle a matter such as this? Brady would say something such as, “It was a great honor to be coached by Mike and Kyle Shanahan, two of the best coaching minds in league history. 2012 was a long time ago and honestly I can’t even remember that far back. This team and I are fully focused on 2015. All I know is that I will be very proud the day Coach Shanahan enters Canton.” Is it BS? Yes. But the noise and drama then end. And Belichik would just repeatedly say “We’re onto 2015.” And then walk off the set.

• hk2000 - Jul 17, 2015 at 8:48 AM

I agree with you and wish Robert had said something like “no comment” or next question”. Having said that, I don’t think Rich would disagree with you either- he did say what matters is what Griffin will do in 2 weeks, then again, being a regular on this blog, you know this comes up all the time, fans won’t let it go, the media won’t let it go, but Griffin, I think should let it go and not give “his side” of the story because regardless what he says, those who dislike him are just going to twist anything he says into a negative. Even if he gave the answer you gave above, some will find a way to criticize that as being fake and disingenuous.

• berniebernard666 - Jul 17, 2015 at 10:37 AM

agree completely that Rich missed the point by about 5 miles. Robert has this delusional idea, REGARDLESS of what he says, that he is running things and can do what he wants. He clanked heads with Shanahan because the spoiled brat wanted to do what he wanted to do. Fast forward to last year. Gruden comes in and has the SAME problem, EXCEPT…..Gruden called him out on it in public and told everybody that Griffin has been pampered and has no discipline.

So don’t try to tell me that a character flaw from several years ago means nothing when that same character flaw is persistent and obviously still here. Robert is delusional to the point that he just got through telling fans to “drop this reading defenses thing”. Hey if he could read defenses maybe he could actually find his open receivers.

Mark my words….the problems with Robert and his coaches and teammates have not ended just because he has a new refrigerator magnet quote on his T SHIRT or because Robert is telling us once again that its not about him, its about “HIS” guys………..because Yes…it is about him.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jul 17, 2015 at 4:29 PM

Too much speculation from this comment. I think you should admit you just don’t like RG3. if the facts are not on the table and when things go sour I’m sure you will always look to blame him first .

• skinsgame - Jul 18, 2015 at 9:30 AM

He’s right on 2 points and they are key: Robert had similar issues with Shanahan that he’s having with Gruden and Gruden did in fact call him out publicly.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jul 18, 2015 at 10:55 AM

What are the similar issues skinsgame?

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jul 18, 2015 at 11:28 AM

Below is Ryan Clark’s opinion on about Gruden and how the coach reacted to having RG3. RG3 has not been the issue for Gruden; it’s Gruden that is has an issue with RG3. Ryan Clark was on the team last season and saw things from a much closer perspective than any of us. Outside of RG3’s development as a straight drop back passer, I don’t see any similar issues on RG3 between Shanahan and Gruden. If it is true that Gruden didn’t want RG3 then he shouldn’t have taken the job as head coach of the Redskins. Most public statements made last season were ones that came out of Gruden a rookie head coach who before was struggling to keep his offensive coordinator job.

“Jay Gruden, as you saw from last year — the media reports where he would say RG3 took a five-step drop where he was supposed to take three, or he looked the wrong way this many times in a game — he showed the world that it wasn’t his guy,” Clark said. “He comes out early in the offseason and says, ‘You know what? Robert Griffin III is our quarterback.’ I think that was to kind of try to show there’s no issues in house, but there clearly is. He’s not his guy. They want to go in a different direction.”

“When you give up what you gave to get RG3 at the No. 2 pick you make things work for him, you don’t make him change his game to fit what you want to do. And I think that’s where Jay Gruden went wrong last year,” Clark said.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jul 18, 2015 at 11:46 AM

Sorry comment coming out three times. I was having issues with the refresh on the browser. I wish there was a way to remove comments.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jul 18, 2015 at 11:39 AM

Speculation 1: EXCEPT…..Gruden called him out on it in public and told everybody that Griffin has been pampered and has no discipline.

Gruden’s complete response: Note how he only stated he was coddled while you speculated by adding in lack of discipline.
        “His biggest thing, he’s been coddled for so long. It’s not a negative, he’s just been so good, he just hasn’t had a lot of negative publicity,” Gruden said. “Everybody’s loved him. Some adversity is striking hard at him now, and how he reacts to that off the field, his mental state of mind, how it affects his confidence, hopefully it’s not in a negative way. I read Drew Brees said after a couple interceptions, ‘I’m never gonna lose confidence, I’m gonna come out firing all the time.’ “

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jul 18, 2015 at 11:45 AM

Speculation 2: Robert has this delusional idea, REGARDLESS of what he says, that he is running things and can do what he wants. He clanked heads with Shanahan because the spoiled brat wanted to do what he wanted to do.

Shanahan’s Complete Response: Note how you distort the actual account by creating a very different narrative. Shanahan in fact points out the influence of Snyder and blames the owner. Regardless if it was true on not that Snyder was influencing him, it proves to me how dysfunctional this organization is when a coach thinks the owner is conspiring against him with their very young franchise invested QB.
        “He wanted to be more of a drop-back, Aaron Rodgers-type guy,” Shanahan said. “He did a few more things, and basically what I did is I went and talked to Dan, and I said, ‘Hey, Dan, for a quarterback to come to me, a veteran coach, and share these things, number one, he can’t be the sharpest guy to do something like that, or he’s got to feel very good about the owner backing him up. And since you have been telling me from Day One that he’s a drop-back quarterback and we should do more drop-back, and you guys have spent the last couple months together, I would think, or at least the last month, that this is an extension of you.’ He said it wasn’t. I just told him that the only chance that this kid, Robert, has to get to the level that we need him to get to is for him to at least trust us that we’re going to run the offense that gives him the best chance to be successful. And if not, it’s impossible, because he’s not ready for it. I can see it, that he’s not ready for that type of offense. Not that he’s not good enough, he just has never done it before.”

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jul 17, 2015 at 4:37 PM

“You simply don’t see this kind of petty nonsense with the QBs leading the most well run organizations such as the Patriots, Giants, Ravens, Green Bay, Denver, New Orleans, etc. In fact, you don’t see this kind of drama from 2nd tier organizations. Any energy expended on this on-going unnecessary PR drama is a distraction.”

What is interesting is that every team with a QB you named has had a success and winning seasons. It’s real easy to say the right things when …well everything is going right for the organization. However, it’s always a potential slippery slop on any response you make about a questionable organization that has presented as much turmoil to a young QB that most wouldn’t wish on their worst enemy. Look if RG3 fails as a QB then I’ll be quick to point that out. However, when you have such a young kid brought into the league with this much hype. The situation is NEVER easy for that QB when scenarios unfold like what has happened here the past 3 seasons.

6. princewilks - Jul 17, 2015 at 8:18 AM

Rich,

Is it possible to get some sort of stat reflecting how does Morris compares to other backs breaking tackles? I’m not solely referring to yards after contact since those only count on positive plays, but overall, like including how many tackles did he break just to get back to the line of scrimmage?

• Skulb - Jul 17, 2015 at 3:35 PM

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2015/broken-tackles-2014-offenses Is the only stat for this I can find. Not sure if it counts running to scrimmage or not though. Anyway, the best you can say about Morris and breaking tackles is that he`s stable. 24 BTs in 2013 and 28 in 2014. A bit of a long way to Lynch`s 88 broken tackles last year though.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jul 17, 2015 at 4:54 PM

I think a significant difference between Lynch and Morris is that Lynch has the ability and break multiple tackles on a given run. Morris, is very good with getting out of the first tackle but I’ve not seen many instances where he has extended runs beyond that initial break. Speculation on my part about this but the stats may indicate this as well.

• Skulb - Jul 17, 2015 at 5:06 PM

I think that`s the case in 2013 and 14. But when I re-watched a few of the 2012 games recently I think he actually did break multiple tackles several times.
          Although apparently he still only had 26 BTs then so maybe I was hallucinating…

I guess the difference was that he moved defenders a lot more in 2012. Me I think it`s because he got in space more. It one thing to move a corner and a safety and quite another to try to move and entire defensive line when you get stuffed.

7. troylok - Jul 17, 2015 at 8:40 AM

Morris will do fine running the ball but I worry about his durability. In a one cut system it’s harder for defenders to get a solid hit on a running back but if he starts running more North-South plays, he will be getting tagged a lot more often. Remember when Clinton Portis came to the Redskins? He essentially came from a one-cut system to a power running scheme. He bulked up to play what he called, “Big Man Football” but he still got dinged up a lot more than he did in Denver. I suspect Morris will not be as durable as he has been.

• gasngo14 - Jul 17, 2015 at 8:46 AM

I agree but lets not forget we drafted Matt Jones to take some of the snaps this should help keep them fresher. Injuries can happen at any time and without much contact as well.

• berniebernard666 - Jul 17, 2015 at 10:27 AM

the last time I checked Morris has been getting hit for 3 years now. Unless its a TD, every one of Alfred’s carries involved him getting tackled. That means he got hit….many times by multiple tacklers. WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

Alfred is going to get hit on every non TD play if he gets the ball….plus on some TD runs. So what is this nonsense about now he is going to get hit more??? I think you need to watch more football. Its a contact sport, and Alfred Morris hasn’t been shy about contact.

Some of you fans are attempting to gain expert status by dissecting things to the point of absurdity.

• Skulb - Jul 17, 2015 at 11:08 AM

I`m just gonna agree with you from now on. I can`t see how it would be possible to get hit any more than Alf has since he was drafted.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jul 17, 2015 at 5:04 PM

Bernie, you should chill on the attitude first of all. We are all rooting for the same team and have a right to express any opinion we choose here about the game/team. Second, it’s clear physics troylock is pointing out: The impact of hits are much more intense when running directly into a hole instead of forcing D-line to move lateral as you are hitting a hole.

Maybe you are right and he has absorbed as many hits as any other running back that matches his carriers. However, it’s not out of any rationale to suggest zone blocking reduces the impact of hits when compared to power blocking.

I don’t get the attitude of some you express here sometimes. There was no reason to respond you did.

8. abanig - Jul 17, 2015 at 9:44 AM

Yes! Morris can thrive behind power blocking of the play is blocked and Desean gives at least a half-assed effort of a block 5-10 yards downfield

• Skulb - Jul 17, 2015 at 11:08 AM

Jackson weighs like 110 pounds man. Give him a break. I`m sure he does the best he can with the defensive stuff but it`s just not what he`s good at.

• abanig - Jul 17, 2015 at 12:51 PM

He doesn’t even try. Moss was an ok blocker, if Moss can do it, so can DJax.

• gasngo14 - Jul 17, 2015 at 1:29 PM

SORRY abanig we do not pay him to block so any if any blocks he may get consider it a BONUS!

• abanig - Jul 17, 2015 at 2:31 PM

Irrelevant. Any offensive player on the field needs to block for his teammates “if” he cares about the team.

• Skulb - Jul 17, 2015 at 3:54 PM

I agree in principle but just look at the guy! He`s too skinny to be blocking 290 pound guys. Moss was much beefier and you can`t compare them. Obviously you want blocking from all the offensive guys but if it`s just gonna be a smackdown it`s better to save Jackson for the things he really excels at, which is running very fast and catching footballs.

• abanig - Jul 17, 2015 at 3:59 PM

That’s not who he’s blocking. He’s blocking guys his size or slightly bigger. At most he’s blocking a 200 pound corner like the size of Amerson.

• Skulb - Jul 17, 2015 at 4:28 PM

He`s still giving up 20 pounds. I just don`t think we should expect too much from him when it comes to blocking.

• abanig - Jul 17, 2015 at 4:41 PM

To a handful of corners in the league. Most weight in the 180s, DJax weighs in the 170s.

Look if you want to give a player a pass for not helping his teammates out on the field that’s fine but every offensive player should attempt to block a defensive player. If a player wants to win, they should do whatever it takes to try to win and when DJax doesn’t try to block, he isn’t trying to help his team win.

• Skulb - Jul 17, 2015 at 5:13 PM

I just think you`re making too much of this. If it was as you just said and Jackson isn`t trying to help the team win don`t you think he would be cut by now? I mean Gruden would have been right there while Jackson was sabotaging the Redskins, if that was what he was doing. I just think you`d be seeing some serious repercussions from management if it was a grave as you`re making it out to be here.
          Obviously he has stuff to improve on defensively. But he is also probably the best deep threat in the NFL, Maybe the coaches think he`s worth having on the field even if he avoids blocking.I can`t see any other explanation for why he`s still on the team. I sure think he`s worth having on the field.

• gasngo14 - Jul 17, 2015 at 7:06 PM

yaa ok abanig lets lose DJax for the season to gain a few yards because he is blocking downfield…That’s brilliant! Like I said if he gets a block or two he and there it’s a bonus he is not the type of WR that is going to specialize in downfield blocking..he is not here to be that player and if you don’t like it GET OVER IT!!

• abanig - Jul 17, 2015 at 7:41 PM

Few yards? You do realize in 2012 part of the Reason Griffin & Morris had so many long runs were because Garçon, Hankerson, Moss and Morgan were great blockers on the edge downfield. The good wrs blocks sprung a 5 yard gain into a 10+ yard gain or even a Td. Wrs who block are intricale to a great running game.

I love everything else DJax does, I just wish he’d give a little more effort for his teammates in the blocking dept.

9. bryktur - Jul 17, 2015 at 9:53 AM

This question was asked at the beginning of last year. A lot of people would not give Morris a 1000 yds season. Well he did get over a 1000 yds and was hit behind the backfield a lot. Yes he did drop some passes but how many of those passes were thrown late?

Morris will improve and thrive in this power run game.

10. berniebernard666 - Jul 17, 2015 at 10:20 AM

Alfred is a great guy. Never gonna create a problem for the team. He is the poor man’s Marshawn Lynch. Real tough runner and pretty hard to bring down. I think its ridiculous to wonder if he can gain yardage in the Power scheme.

You are acting like they have elevated the field to force him to run up hill at a 45 degree angle, or as though now there will be 15 men on the Defense. What is the difference what you call your schemes once you hand Morris the ball? At that point he is Alfred….same ole Alfred. I have seen him wiggle, I have seen him knock people over, and I have seen him lean forward and drag 2 or 3 tacklers for an extra couple of yards. So I ask again what difference are you talking about?

The only thing Alfred cannot do well is catch the ball. Some can. Some can’t. He can’t…but hey…we have receivers for that.

• Blackbutcolorblind - Jul 17, 2015 at 11:59 AM

Totally agreed. Morris can’t catch that’s it. He has all the skills and the intangibles

• abanig - Jul 17, 2015 at 12:50 PM

Another redskin fan myth. Morris can catch, only reason he didn’t play 3rd down passing situation is because Helu is a great receiver.

Morris can catch though. He had 17 receptions last year for 155 yards.

• Skulb - Jul 17, 2015 at 5:44 PM

@Rich Tandler

I`ve been meaning to ask this question for some time but you haven`t written about it. So without further ado and totally off topic, are there any plans to resurface the awful pitch at Fedex any time soon? I mean the pitch isn`t even properly flat after the first three games or so and the grass is gone down the middle by October. It really should be possible to do better.

Just to demonstrate what I mean, here is a picture of Real Madrid`s pitch in the end of May this year, after about 50 games had been played there:

And here`s Fedex in the middle of November, after ten games and change: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/12/09/article-0-19F7472B00000578-882_634x423.jpg

That`s actually sand that`s been dumped where the grass is dead; I guess because you can choose between playing in sand or in mud. So you`re playing football in freezing temperatures on sand/mud and tufts of grass that come loose when you step on them. So a few more questions:

1: Does Fedex have undersoil heating?
          2: Do the Skins employ a groundskeeper at Fedex?
          3: Does the grass get watered between games during the season?

I swear there are fifth division soccer clubs in Norway that are able to keep their pitch in better condition than Washington. I just don`t understand what the problem is so any insights would be appreciated.

• Skulb - Jul 17, 2015 at 5:45 PM

I`m sorry about this. I posted by pitch whine as a reply to you. It was not intended so please ignore me.

• abanig - Jul 17, 2015 at 6:04 PM

No biggie bro

• berniebernard666 - Jul 18, 2015 at 2:45 AM

abanig…you apparently watch different games than the rest of us do. Alfred has great difficulty catching the ball because I have seen him drop a few. 17 catches?? and that is your PROOF that he can catch the football? REALLY? 17 CATCHES qualifies him as a good receiver out of the backfield.? Man, take off your HOMER glasses and put on the glasses you got from the eye doctor.

• abanig - Jul 18, 2015 at 8:22 AM

I thought I said “he can catch” I don’t think I said he was good or great at it. When you throw out absolutes like a player can’t do this or that it’s generally never true. Usually a player can do whatever you’re complaint that he can’t do but it might not be their strength.

A few? We’re they good passes? I’ve seen him drop a few passes that weren’t so great and sure he’s dropped one or two over the years as well. IMO of they threw to him more in games he’s get more comfortable at catching passes out of the backfield and he’d be better at it.

And yes, 17 receptions is a good amount for a RB who hasn’t been used on 3rd downs as receiving option because up until this year they had Helu who is one of the best reciving RBs in the nfl and in 2012 the Redskins still had Royster was a good receiver as well.

11. Blackbutcolorblind - Jul 17, 2015 at 11:51 AM

Morris will do better in my opinion behind power blocking and with a legitimate number two back to take off the pressure

• Blackbutcolorblind - Jul 17, 2015 at 11:55 AM

And Morris yards after contact amount best. And his stats amount best in league history last three years. Color of my skins clearly Morris hater but u need starts to back up ur hate and they just sent there. I should love Morris

• Blackbutcolorblind - Jul 17, 2015 at 11:56 AM

Also if u notice Morris still played great behind cousins and McCoy.

• Blackbutcolorblind - Jul 17, 2015 at 11:57 AM

For a running backs first three years stats Morris is now legendary

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jul 17, 2015 at 5:23 PM

You have some valid points and there isn’t a player on the team I genuinely like more than Morris. I hope you opinion pans out but I can’t say I share the same level of optimism. I’d rather you be right in the end.

12. sidepull - Jul 17, 2015 at 12:55 PM

Morris survived without teammates picking up blitzes, missing blocks or missing assignments entirely. He will thrive if he gets blocking period. Another 1k + year blockers or no.

13. kenlinkins - Jul 17, 2015 at 8:23 PM

Rich: This has to be some kind of trick question. The Redskins O-Line was very bad at trying to run “Zone Blocking”. On the left side they ran power blocking behind Williams and on the right side I can not recall many times the O-Line getting to the 2nd level (which is the goal of zone blocking) or sliding off the double team to take out the LB (which is the key to Zone Blocking) and really giving Morris a true lane to run in (unless they ran the read option play and teams played the QB “giving up” a lane to Morris”). IMO it would be a mistake to call what the Redskins did in 2013 / 2014 true Zone Blocking. Now if the question is “Can Morris be more than a one cut RB” my answer would be yes, as he seems to move the pile forward when there is no hole and has no fear to just lower his head and run full blast where hole should open. Maybe the Redskins will use the “counter step” on power runs to use his “one cut” talent better, but I do not see a problem with Morris unless he start placing the ball on the ground.

14. gasngo14 - Jul 17, 2015 at 8:43 PM

How in the heck can any Redskin fan not like Alfred Morris? IMO he has been a class act on and off the field!

15. lorcanbonda - Jul 18, 2015 at 2:23 PM

As soon as D. Hall was injured last year, whatever defense we had died with him. Breeland provided some life, but nowhere near enough to replace what we lost with D. Hall.

If D. Hall is healthy, he is the top first or second cornerback between him and Culliver. Trying to wedge Amerson into that discussion is ridiculous. A $4 million salary cap hit isn’t that much — compare it to Perry Riley, Andre Roberts & Shaun Lauvao. Goldson has a $4 million salary cap hit and he was a bust in Tampa.

• abanig - Jul 18, 2015 at 3:16 PM

All of those players cap hits are within $2 million of one another.