Jul 13, 2015, 5:27 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Monday, July 13, 17 days before the Washington Redskins start training camp.
We’re about two and a half weeks away from the start of training camp and I’m starting to review my “what to look for” notes. A few days ago I went over some of what I want to see on offense; today, some defensive questions.
Will DeAngelo Hall participate in the first practice? Hall wants to be ready for the start of camp but it’s not a given. He suffered the second year of his Achilles near the end of October. If there is any doubt at all they could start him on the PUP list for the first week or two of training camp. Going into his 12th year, Hall could benefit more from a couple of additional weeks of rehab than from grinding away on the practice field.
What is David Amerson’s role? Staying at the cornerback position, where will the 2013 second-round pick line up? He suffered from a horrible sophomore slump last year after doing a solid job as the nickel back as a rookie. Many of his issues seemed to be mental rather than physical. The word is that Amerson is spending more time in the film room this offseason; if he knows his assignments better, can he beat out Bashaud Breeland for the starting job opposite Chris Culliver? Will he come in for nickel situations?
How will Preston Smith perform in pads? The second-round pick showed off his length and moved well during the no-pads portion of preparation for the season. Now we will see how he adds violence into the mix. It also will be interesting to see how much he lines up on two feet and how often he has his hand in the dirt.
Can the later-round picks stand out? I’m referring to fifth-round pick ILB Martrell Spaight and sixth rounder CB Tevin Mitchel. While most figure that both have an inside track to a roster spot, nothing is guaranteed. They are going to have to make some plays and, especially, minimize mistakes of they are going to secure a job.
What is Jason Hatcher’s role? The veteran turns 33 today and although many see his role being essentially the same as it was last year, starting right defensive end, I’m not so sure. He had the most snaps played on the line for the first 13 games before missing the last three with a knee injury. The Redskins could decide to play him less in the early going to save him for December. If he takes a reduced role in camp, playing only in nickel packages, that could be a sign that he will not be as heavily used during the season.
—Redskins DE Jason Hatcher was born on this date in 1982.
—It’s been 197 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be 62 days until they play the Dolphins at FedEx Field.
—Days until: Redskins training camp starts 17; Preseason opener @ Browns 31; final cuts 54
Follow Us On Twitter
- Need to Know: First look at Redskins vs. Bengals—Which team is more desperate?
- Facebook Live pres. by Paisano's: Previewing London with Ryan Kerrigan
- Redskins vs. Bengals: London game time, TV channel, how to watch
- NFC East: Admitted domestic abuser Josh Brown released by Giants
- Despite mistakes, Redskins' Gruden has faith in WR Grant
- NFC East Update: Redskins loss in Detroit might prove costly as Eagles beat Vikings
- Jay Gruden understands Redskins D-line complaints: They don't get paid to backpedal
- Bigger workloads for Redskins' Thompson, Kelley easier said than done
- Need to Know: Last words on Redskins vs. Lions—It just wasn't Washington's day
- Stephen A. Smith mocks Redskins again after loss to Lions