Jul 12, 2015, 5:57 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, July 12, 18 days before the Washington Redskins start training camp.
Earlier this week I looked at the top five quarterbacks the Redskins will face this season and yesterday it was the top five running backs. Today, let’s look at the top five wide receivers on the schedule according to receiving yards gained in 2014:
1. Julio Jones, Falcons (1,593 yards, 3rd in NFL)—There was plenty of chatter that the Redskins were going to draft Jones in 2011 but the Falcons traded up and grabbed him with the sixth overall pick. At 6-4 he’s a handful and is coming of his best seasons.
2. Dez Bryant, Cowboys (1,320 yards, 8th)—The Redskins kept him under control in their first meeting, limitng Bryant to three catches for 30 yards. But in their second meeting he had four for 99 yards and two touchdowns. He posted a total of 16 touchdowns on the year.
3. Odell Beckham Jr., Giants (1,305 yards, 10th)—As I’m sure you know, Beckham put up his numbers after missing the first four games of the season with a hamstring injury. That limited him to one game against the Redskins but he put up a few games’ worth of production, with 12 catches for 143 yards and three touchdowns.
4. Alshon Jeffery, Bears (1,133 yards, 14th)—Chicago doesn’t have Brandon Marshall any more but the 6-4 Jeffery will be a handful for the Redskins’ defensive backs.
5. Mike Evans, Bucs (1,051 yards, 19th)—Here’s another rookie receiver who put up some serious numbers against the Redskins last year. Evans caught seven pass for 209 yards and two touchdowns in FedEx Field.
Note: Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski had 1,124 receiving yards last year and he is on the Redskins’ schedule. But this list only includes wide receivers.
—It’s been 196 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be 63 days until they play the Dolphins at FedEx Field.
—Days until: Redskins training camp starts 18; Preseason opener @ Browns 32; final cuts 55
Follow Us On Twitter
- WATCH: Jay Gruden, Kirk Cousins and the Redskins arrive at Heathrow Airport
- Facebook Live: Redskins arrive in London
- Need to Know: Six Redskins under pressure against the Bengals
- A tribute to a fallen hero: CSNMA's top ten Vines of all time
- No promise on playing, but Jordan Reed, Josh Norman traveling to London with Redskins
- Dispatches from London - A day with Tottenham Hotspur in advance of Redskins arrival
- Redskins' Matt Jones misses another practice, in doubt for Sunday
- Redskins running back Robert Kelley likely to get more carries Sunday
- How the Redskins plan to stop A.J. Green if Josh Norman can't play
- Virginia and Idaho really love Ryan Kerrigan, apparently