Jul 5, 2015, 5:28 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, July 5, 25 days before the Washington Redskins start training camp.
Backup to starter?
Here are five Redskins who could be backups in Week 1 but could be starting at some point as the season wears on.
—ILB Martrell Spaight—Some fans think he will jump in and start Week 1 but it would be highly unusual for a fifth-round pick to come in and knock out an established starter like Perry Riley. But the coaches seem to be pretty high on Spright and Riley is just a guy. It’s possible that Spaight could push into a starting job alongside Keenan Robinson at some point in the second half of the season.
—WR Jamison Crowder—I guess slot receiver technically isn’t a starting position but the Redskins will frequently line up with three receivers. If Andre Roberts can’t fix the case of the drops he had last year (seven, most on the team) and make some big plays (average of 12.6 per catch), Crowder could get a shot.
—OLB Preston Smith—I don’t see Smith knocking Trent Murphy out of the starting job on the right side during training camp. But as Smith gains experience and learns the tricks of the trade while playing 30 or 40 snaps a game in sub packages he could narrow the gap and eventually overtake Murphy.
—CB David Amerson—He started 15 games at cornerback last year and he could be starting again by the time the season is done. Amerson certainly isn’t going to push Chris Culliver to the bench. But if (and this is a big IF) he matches Bashaud Breeland’s off-field preparation habits he could well end up starting in front of last year’s rookie surprise at some point.
—DE Chris Baker—My faith in the ability of Jason Hatcher to both stay healthy and play effectively for 16 games is very much on the low side. If he falters Baker will be ready to step up from his sub role into one as a starter.
—It’s been 189 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be 70 days until they play the Dolphins at FedEx Field.
—Days until: Redskins training camp starts 25; Preseason opener @ Browns 39; final cuts 62
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins injury report: Cravens good to go
- Redskins place first-round rookie WR Josh Doctson on injured reserve
- Redskins Jay Gruden makes it official: Jordan Reed out against Detroit
- Andre Roberts has actually been productive for the Lions this season
- Barry: Fuller very 'football mature', credits Virginia Tech
- WWE wrestler does Josh Norman's bow & arrow celebration in the ring
- Need to Know: Redskins key to the game—A big day from Cousins
- New #RedskinsTalk Podcast - Duke Ihenacho opens up about playing time and Mexican food
- Redskins' Josh Norman planning celebration that puts NFL in awkward spot
- Injury report: Cravens a full go in practice but status for game still uncertain