Need to Know: The most overrated and underrated Redskins

Jul 4, 2015, 5:23 AM EDT

Keenan-Robinson-vs-Eagles

Happy Independence Day!

Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, July 4, 26 days before the Washington Redskins start training camp.

Who’s overrated? Underrated?

Pete Prisco of CBS Sports went through each of the 32 NFL teams and picked a player he viewed as overrated and then did another list of the 32 underrated players. I thought his picks for the Redskins were pretty insightful although I don’t completely agree with him.

Washington’s overrated player was safety Dashon Goldson. Here is Prisco’s justification.

“If they think he will fix their safety issues, they can forget about it. He’s a box safety in a league where coverage is a premium. He failed in his two years in Tampa Bay as a high-priced free agent, so why think he can turn it around?”

It’s hard to disagree with most of what he says here. But I don’t think that Scot McCloughan traded for him with the idea of him “fixing” the safety position. He’s more of a patch. Even if there were thoughts of bringing back Ryan Clark for one more year, he nixed them by announcing his retirement. There was nobody on the roster who was capable of handling the job on a full time basis. It would have been outright foolish to hope to find help in the draft, which was weak at safety. Goldson was the best available option. That doesn’t mean he’s a fix, just better than whatever else they could reasonably come up with.

The only issue I have with calling Goldson overrated is that I don’t think he’s rated very highly. Sure, there are some Redskins fans who believe that he will revert to the form that made him a first-team All-Pro with the 49ers in 2012. But most neutral observers see him as just a guy at this point in his career.

Prisco’s underrated Redskin is Keenan Robinson:

“After missing all of 2013 with an injury, he emerged as a force on their defense in 2014. He is a thumper in the run game who should be better in coverage with a year of starting under his belt.”

Can’t argue with this assessment at all. Robinson did an admirable job of stepping in for the retired London Fletcher. He played well and also assumed some of the leadership duties that come with calling the plays on defense. I’ll add that he also could improve his pass rush up the middle; he had just 1.5 sacks last year.

The main concern with Robinson is health. He missed the last five games of his rookie 2012 season with a torn pec, all of 2013 with the same injury (sustained a second time), and three games near the end of last season with a knee injury.

Who are your most overrated/underrated Redskins? Let me know in the comments below.

—It’s been 188 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be 71 days until they play the Dolphins at FedEx Field.

Days until: Redskins training camp starts 26; Preseason opener @ Browns 40; final cuts 63

1. gonavybeatarmy - Jul 4, 2015 at 9:00 AM

Overrated: Andre Roberts.

Underrated: Tress Way.

• bangkokben - Jul 4, 2015 at 9:59 AM

Solid choices. Happy 4th and thanks for your service!

• mr.moneylover - Jul 4, 2015 at 6:21 PM

I agree…andre roberts is weak sauce hes not a threat at all

2. sidepull - Jul 4, 2015 at 9:01 AM

Its always risky writing anything that can be construed as “hate” and RG3. I am not a “hater” I hope he does well this year. Saves everybody headaches..From my perspective RG3 as the starting QB, is overrated. Just because he’s the best the Redskins have at the position does not mean he is a high caliber starting QB. Until he shows he can stay healthy, win games, then he will always be a lightning rod for controversy. Hope he gets his act together this season with the help they have tried to secure for him and ends all the speculation.

DY is underrated in my opinion. He can block, catch the ball out of the backfield and he will run you over if he gets the ball. He never gets enough praise and when he misses games, as bad as this team has been, it becomes worse. IMHO DY improves the quality of this team and should be utilized as a weapon more often.

• bangkokben - Jul 4, 2015 at 10:01 AM

Totally agree about DY. As for the QB, you dislike-er! ;)

• shermanp79 - Jul 4, 2015 at 11:04 AM

I like DY

• hk2000 - Jul 4, 2015 at 11:46 AM

He’s not over rated- in fact, he seems to be universally disliked, it’s almost become politically correct to hate on the guy.! If you were in a comma for a couple of years and just woke up and went online just on places were RGIII is discussed, you’d think he committed a heinous crime of epic proportions. He does need to improve though, but I still say that’s up to the idiot coach- key word idiot.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Jul 4, 2015 at 3:55 PM

Any QB’s performance is hugely influenced by the Pass Blocking (RANKED 31st) in front of him. When given time RG3 has shown he can put up points in bunches..ie.. all of 2012, 20 or more points in all but 5 games he played in 2013, and 20 or more points in half of his games last year. As the Oline declined so did the QB. A lot of people don’t have him rated high so I doubt he is over rated.

3. bangkokben - Jul 4, 2015 at 10:14 AM

As much as I love Trent Williams, and I do (I love his competitiveness, his nasty streak, and his grittiness – playing through injury), he’d be my most over-rated. He certainly has the talent to be the best left tackle in the division but execution wise, he’s right now third. I also believe he is one of the best players on the team but when you’re winning seven games in two years who else is getting accolades?

Under-rated? Deangelo Hall. He had he played last year he might have been in the over-rated group. Instead, when he went down, the Eagles game turned and Nick Foles became unstoppable. Then the next week Eli looks like big brother for a week and the Redskins’ season flips from going 2-1 with a game coming against the struggling Giants to 1-3 and in full tailspin.

• skinsgame - Jul 4, 2015 at 11:20 AM

This team has an inordinate amount of players that could be considered overrated but Trent Williams stands out above the rest. As much potential as he has, he’s not the dominant LT most seem to think he is. To me, he looks bored at times. He’s good, but not yet great and he’s touted as if he’s great. He’s been routinely beaten by good DE’s & LB’s, often. I hope he becomes the dominant player he’s alleged to be.

Underrated, Nick Sundberg. Quietly handles the long snaps and no one knows he’s there, which means he’s doing a good job. A couple years ago he broke his arm in the 1st half of a game and still finished. Toughness like that is a rarity. When you’re 4-12, your team is probably loaded with overrated players and the LS is one of the few choices for underrated…

• bangkokben - Jul 4, 2015 at 11:54 AM

Inordinate? Hardly. I suppose I could change my pick to Kirk Cousins because Cousins’ fans certainly overvalue his production but I provided my pick based on how I thought an objective non-fan would decide.

• skinsgame - Jul 5, 2015 at 9:02 AM

Maybe overvalued would be a better term. Absolutely there are a ton of those on this team. I’d buy Cousins as overrated too. Hasn’t proven anything but potential. Just like Griffin, in that respect.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jul 4, 2015 at 11:21 AM

Trent Williams most overrated! Yes Bang you are in a very small minority here. To use the assumption that he is only 3rd in the division can appear misleading since you are talking about Tyron Smith and Jason Peters. Two players that are by many top 5 NFL left tackles but that list would also include Trent Williams. Trent is an elite tackle and no elite is overrated. I know you are just expressing an opinion here but I’d love for you to provide demonstrate reasons for Trent Williams being overrated.

• bangkokben - Jul 4, 2015 at 11:47 AM

Unlike skinsgame, I think a team this bad has few players who are actually over-rated. Yes, you are right in that Williams is a top talent and even though I said he is currently third in our division – a division with superior left tackle talent as you mentioned. I do not know of a player on this team who continues to get credit despite not playing up to his own standards. For me the choice is between Williams, Desean Jackson, Alfred Morris, Pierre Garcon, or Ryan Kerrigan. You have to be rated in order to be over-rated. Maybe I’m wrong. But all the guys that we criticize routinely are rated pretty accurately.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jul 4, 2015 at 1:40 PM

fair enough since you set a high bar for the overrated list on this team. What I find interesting is how you state Trent Williiams ability to work through injury. This is something I agree with especially 2014. I actually think Trent Williiams is the best player we have on the team by position and doubt it changes. He had some issues on protection this season when comparted to 2012 and 2013. However, I think playing through injury is part of it. I hope he stays healthy since I believe he is the most gifted tackle to come out in many years. We just need to be better as a team to realize how good this guy is. I actually think the only tackle better in the NFL is Joe Thomas but if Trent still is the most gifted.

• bangkokben - Jul 4, 2015 at 4:02 PM

I agree with pretty much everything you said about Williams – his talent and his warrior mindset. Again, I am using a high standard and I think the accolades he’s received (pro-bowls in 2013 and 2014 – not the 2012 campaign) have more so to do with his talent and reputation than his execution. You’re 100% correct in saying that injury has affected his play and Williams on one leg is still heads and shoulders above and better than our other tackles.

• Trey Gregory - Jul 4, 2015 at 6:14 PM

I have to agree that Trent Williams is not overrated. He’s as solid a left tackle as anyone could hope for. Playing through injuries, that toughness and mindset, just adds to his value to me.

• hk2000 - Jul 4, 2015 at 11:58 AM

Underrated, DY- No question, I have a hard time remembering a play where he got the ball and did not make a 1st down, or where he got beat on a block- I’m sure it happened, but cannot recall any such instant. Overrated, Jordan Reed, He showed flashes, but never really reached the level that everyone seems to ASSUME he’s capable of.

• hk2000 - Jul 4, 2015 at 12:11 PM

This was not meant to come as a reply to Ben, sorry. But if you insist, I really don’t get how a top 3 left tackle can be overrated- he does seem bored sometimes, but that hardly justifies calling him overrated, the guy is never challenged and most of the time handling the guys in front of him seems like swatting flies! Most of the time I’m watching the game, the pocket looks like a capital L, If only RG3 can run a bootleg to the left, we would’ve been in a much better place, but then again, that’s on the coach who can’t scheme to save his life.

And to pick the long-snapper as overrated, come-on man!

• hk2000 - Jul 4, 2015 at 12:16 PM

Obviously I meant UNDERRATED.

• skinsgame - Jul 5, 2015 at 9:05 AM

Who is under rated on this team? They were 4-12. Find someone that others just don’t see shining the way you do and tell us all about him.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Jul 4, 2015 at 4:03 PM

Trent Williams is Far fron over rated. He gave up 4 sacks out of 59. Doing his job at an Elite level while being banged up. He is Rated High for a reason. Because he is and performs that good.

• skinsgame - Jul 5, 2015 at 9:06 AM

Watch the Rams game from last year.

4. Hildy J - Jul 4, 2015 at 10:39 AM

Overrated – RG3
    Underrated – Robert Griffin

To date he’s neither a savior or a bust. He’s a reasonable backup in training.

• Skulb - Jul 4, 2015 at 5:20 PM

And boy can he sell shoes!

5. brava66 - Jul 4, 2015 at 11:40 AM

I continue to believe that Ryan Kerrigan is underrated. He makes impact plays and is critical to the defense being successful. Best of all, he’s humble, coachable and not a diva…

• bangkokben - Jul 4, 2015 at 11:51 AM

I’m not a fan of the ‘show-stopper’ pose and wish he wouldn’t be so susceptible to the boot but agree with you as to his impact to the defense.

6. skins1970 - Jul 4, 2015 at 1:49 PM

Overrated Kirk Cousins- I don’t know why anyone wants him to start, yes he puts up good stats but he is makes Rex Grossman like mistakes too often.

Underrated- DY he does everything well.

• Skulb - Jul 4, 2015 at 5:40 PM

Being preferred over Griffin the way he`s been playing doesn`t make anyone overrated I think. If given a choice between plague and cholera you just have to accept that some people will choose cholera.

7. troylok - Jul 4, 2015 at 1:52 PM

If Goldson is over-rated, then what does it say about the other safeties on the roster who can’t steal the job away from him?

8. timwillhidetimwillhide - Jul 4, 2015 at 3:38 PM

From the Fans view point (at least from the comments I’ve read on this and other blogs)

Over Rated : Kirk Cousins…. Among a lot of fans they feel he is a Starter regardless that he has shown otherwise. He not only threw a lot of interceptions last year he has thrown passes that have bounced offf of defenders hands at an alarming rate every year. A lot of fans dismiss these throws because they weren’t interceptions, but I feel they were a hint as to what he really is a bad QB. He has also thrown a lot of interceptions in practice as Rich has stated before.

Under Rated : Alfred Morris…. Since Jones has bin Drafted I have read a lot of comments downing Morris’s ability. 3 straight 1,000+ seasons is a pretty good accomplishment. Especially when after his first year Defenses have bin keying in on him and his carries were down last year. Not a lot of running backs have come in and ran off 3 consecutive 1,000+ seasons and with a more of a commitment to the run early I don’t see why he can’t get over 1,000 yards again this year.

• mr.moneylover - Jul 4, 2015 at 5:15 PM

Alfred Morris picked up his yards in garbage time for the last two seasons he really didnt work for them yards like in his first year…they drafted matt jones because matt jones can do things alfred Morris still struggle to do going into his third year thats why I wasnt surprise that they drafted a running back…Alfred Morris might’ve took to much of a beaten in his first year to improve his game thats why they got matt jones to back up alfred morris but if matt jones show out in training camp I wouldn’t be surprise if he ended up starting over Alfred Morris he took most the snaps with the starters in minicamp…I herd he had a bad day with dropping balls that he had in his hands and matt jones keep improving and looking better and better day by day thats when they made the switch to have matt jones starting with the starters but thats what everybody keeping they eyes on in training camp…will the coach give Alfred Morris his starting job back??? or will he have to work for it ???

• bangkokben - Jul 4, 2015 at 5:37 PM

Alfred Morris may have picked up 60 to 100 yards in what you call garbage time. There were two games in which Gruden had zero trust with Robert and despite being behind, Gruden ran the ball on 3rd and long. I think the total was 12 carries for 60 yards. Then there was the last game of the season where everyone wanted the game to be over. So take a 100 off Morris’ total if you must but stop acting like he got the ball every game after the game was over. I have yet to see anyone agree with you about this. Morris didn’t finish the game against Jacksonville where he would have a big day if they didn’t go to Silas Redd and it’s not like every other running back in the NFL doesn’t have some carries like this.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Jul 4, 2015 at 7:18 PM

I could make the case that Matt Jones is Overrated. He wasn’t a full time starter in college, never gained 1,000 yards, and doesn’t have good vision for the hole.

• weneedlinemen42 - Jul 5, 2015 at 5:48 AM

I think the run blocking has been pretty bad for the last couple of years. To me Morris did get some unjust criticism from commentators for missing “holes” that weren’t really practical.

A few drops, some questionable pass-pro and no discernable improvement in his slightly tendancy to fumble have taken some shine off Morris, but he’s still a pretty solid starter.

The thing is, as a running back, being anything less than great, gives you terrible job security. I’d love to see Morris play his entire career for the ‘Skins and get good contracts, but I think he may have to move on to get paid. Even then I don’t think he is going to get the sort of money that his production over his rookie contract deserves.

9. mr. moneylover - Jul 4, 2015 at 5:01 PM

The most overrated player is alfred Morris for sure ppl just look at the good things he do and forget about the mistakes he make…even tho my underrated player didnt play much but everytime he step on the field he created havoc on the QB and im talking about DE frank kearse if he get more playing time this year witch he should ppl gonna remember that name for sure…I couldve went with breeland because ppl dont understand how hard it is to come in learn a new defense and play at the kind of level he did and I dont think he got enough credit for what he did coming in as a 5th rounder

• Trey Gregory - Jul 4, 2015 at 6:28 PM

What mistakes has Morris made? I consider myself a pretty intelligent football fan. I try to be objective and not just get caught up in fanfare for players. I also think I’m fair, I don’t give guys too much or too little credit. I try at least, I’m certainly not perfect. But when I look at Morris, I see a great RB that has done everything the team has asked of him on and off the field. He’s been one of the very best players on this team since 2012, stays healthy, churns out hard yards, doesn’t have a fumbling problem, has had 3 straight 100,000 yard seasons….. What else can you ask for man? Obviously he’s not perfect, but who is? There’s not many RBs I would take over him. I think he deserves l the credit he gets.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Jul 4, 2015 at 7:00 PM

100,000 yards he can retire now Hall of Fame lol

Great typo

• weneedlinemen42 - Jul 5, 2015 at 5:51 AM

I really like Morris, but he has had quite a lot of fumbles. He has also dropped a few passes and his pass-blocking hasn’t really been up to par.

He’s done a really good job running the ball and is a model professional, but he’s got some weaknesses.

• Trey Gregory - Jul 5, 2015 at 8:45 PM

Yeah, I can respect that. He certainly isn’t a pass catching back, but I’m ok with that. Seems like most teams prefer committees these days anyway. I’ll have to look up his fumble numbers, because I didn’t think they were particularly high compared to the rest of the league, but I could be wrong there. I also thought he was pretty decent when asked to block, but I could be looking at that through rose colored glasses as I’m a huge fan. I never thought he was an elite blocker, just solid. But I also remember some situations when the line just broke down and he didn’t stand a chance. He’s been put into some pretty bad pass blocking situations. He has his weaknesses like most, but I always feel good when they put the ball in his hands. Not every team in the NFL can say that about their RB. Overrated or not, he’s been one of the best players in this team since he arrived. I love having that in Morris and I hope they find a way to keep him around.

• skinsgame - Jul 5, 2015 at 9:15 AM

I wouldn’t say Morris is either over or under rated. He gets accolades from everywhere and his share of criticism as well.

• mr. moneylover - Jul 4, 2015 at 7:28 PM

@trey gregory he struggle in two areas that is very important pass blocking and catching the ball…if scot m. Thought alfred morris did everything good he wouldn’t have drafted matt jones in the third round…the tape dont lie and when you look at it alfred morris is a one dominion RB who can run the ball but wont get his hands dirty to help the passing game…ppl wanted to criticize Clinton portis about him and his concussions but ppl fail to realize he was never scared of laying out a linebacker who try to sack his QB he actually said he like taking out linebackers on the other hand when it comes to alfred morris it seem like he didnt know were the blitz was coming from and when he do pickup the blitz he dont show enough effort on block his guy instead he just let his guy go around him then rg3 gotta run for his life or rush a pass that will end up getting picked off…I seen that multiple times not only just last year either…I eat sleep breathe football so I know what im talking about

10. Skulb - Jul 4, 2015 at 5:39 PM

Overrated: Wouldn`t know about that. You`d have to be highly rated first, which is basically only Kerrigan, Hall, Jackson, Garcon, Way (Anyone who leads the league in anything positive is highly rated by definition.) and Williams. And they`re all pretty much what they`re cracked up to me as far as I can tell. I can maybe see Morris qualifying though, but I like him too much to call him overrated. Reed as well, although he hasn`t really played enough to tell.

Underrated, Young, Kearse, Heyward, Robinson and possibly Breeland. As far as I can tell these are the sort of guys you use if you want to build a good football team. Good discipline, quick learners or solid veterans. What`s not to like?

11. Trey Gregory - Jul 4, 2015 at 6:20 PM

My most overrated had to be Niles Paul. It baffles me that people think we’re set at TE if Rees goes down.

Underrated….. It’s hard not to agree with Darelle Young. He does a lot for this team and doesn’t get a lot of credit for it.

There are certainly a few other guys I could think of in both categories. But so many of them are either new to the team, or were rookies last year. So it’s hard to say. I think propels excitement about Francois is overrated. Thinking our line is set, in case of injury, with him in the rotation is also nuts to me. Breeland could be considered underrated, but only if he builds on last season and gets even better. There’s a few guys like that. But I want to wait and see them play in the new system, or do it for more than one year before I form too much of an opinion.

12. david monroe - Jul 5, 2015 at 1:09 AM

Looking forward the new season. .with changes made….in key positions & players…

13. weneedlinemen42 - Jul 5, 2015 at 5:36 AM

Underrated and underused: Darrell Young. I think he could be a real weapon as H-back style receiver, and a good pressure relieving outlet for our QBs.

Overrated: Kirk Cousins, he has all the tools, looks great for 95% of the time, then come the wild passes. In every game, absolutely every game, a few passes get away from him, and go sailing off into the secondary. It was that way in college, it’s been that way in the Pros.

When he has a good game, it’s because those passes have landed on the ground, but most of the time they sail over the receivers into the teeth of the secondary.

I do have some sympathy for mentions of Trent Williams. I think he is very, very good but some of the weaknesses tend to get swept under the rug. His insdiscipline been responsible for far too many drive killing penalties, particularly around the goalline. Also, there are some occasional lapses in concentration and technique in pass pro. Again, he’s very good. One of the best currently in the game, but he’s not great.