Jun 14, 2015, 6:16 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, June 14, two days before the Washington Redskins start minicamp.
The week that was
Here is a look back on the news from the past week:
Redskins formally announce joint practices with Texans—It’s official; J.J. Watt is headed to Richmond for practices against the Redskins from August 6-8. Brandon Scherff will get the opportunity, if you want to call it that, to go up against the player who has won defensive player of the year honors two times in the last three years. Scherff’s experience aside, this is a good opportunity for the Redskins to measure themselves against a team that was worse than they were in 2013 but bounced back and had a winning record last year.
Jackson misses Tuesday OTA—After missing the first week of OTA’s and then showing up next week, DeSean Jackson again was absent for the first practice of last Tuesday. According to Jay Gruden Jackson had a personal matter and that was that. It should be noted that these sessions are voluntary. And it’s worth mentioning that attendance during the offseason program so far has been very good, with only a handful of absences other than Jackson. Minicamp, which gets underway on Tuesday, is mandatory.
DC Mayor wants Redskins but still doesn’t like the name—Speaking at an event concerning the new soccer stadium the District has agreed to build, Mayor Muriel Bowser had a mixed message regarding a return to the city for the Redskins. She said that the team name is “offensive”. Bowser also said, “We have made it clear to the team that we’re interested to talk to them about their needs.” It remains to be seen if a DC stadium deal that did not involve a change of the nickname could happen or if such a condition would be a deal breaker.
Jackson, Williams among NFL’s top 100 players—The wide receiver was No. 50 on the NFL.com ranking, voted on by NFL players. Williams made his third straight appearance on the list. He was No. 99 in 2013, No. 69 last year and his ranking improved again to No. 47. Ryan Kerrigan was revealed at No. 78 a couple of weeks ago. It’s hard to see any other Redskins players making the list.
—It’s been 168 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be 91 days until they play the Dolphins at FedEx Field.
—Days until: Redskins minicamp starts 2; Redskins training camp starts 46; Preseason opener @ Browns 60
If you have any questions about what’s going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins vs Giants Preview: 5 things you need to know as 'Skins get desperate
- Tandler's Redskins-centric look around the NFL, Week 3
- Redskins Gruden on rookie Kendall Fuller: He's just the odd man out, for now
- Need to Know: Five Redskins who are under pressure against the Giants
- How Dr. Robin West handles when Redskins and Nationals players get hurt
- Redskins injury report: DeSean Jackson, Trent Williams good to go for Giants game
- Redskins' Preston Smith hasn't had start he wanted, but knows 'anything can happen'
- Redskins Playbook: Still lots of questions on defensive line
- Redskins vs. Giants Week 3 Preview, predictions, storylines, betting odds
- Need to Know: Around Redskins Park—Will things start to click for Cousins?