Jun 10, 2015, 5:03 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Wednesday, June 10, 6 days before the Washington Redskins start minicamp.
Here are some quotes with notes from Tuesday’s OTA session:
—Joe Barry had good things to say about David Amerson and his work ethic last week and Jay Gruden echoed them. “The reasons why the guys are here that are here right now from last year is they all are committed to winning and they’re committed to getting better. And, that’s what we’re trying to do. As coaches, it’s our job to make them better. And it’s the players’ job to buy in and want to get to better. David is a one of the great examples of coming in every day, learning the new system and competing. We signed Chris Culliver. He could have buried his head. We’ve got [DeAngelo] D-Hall coming back. We’ve got [Bashaud] Breeland who had a great year last year as a rookie. But David has come in here, opened his eyes up, learned a new system and competed just like everybody else has, so I’ve been very impressed with David.”
—Part of the reason that Jeron Johnson and Duke Ihenacho, who are competing for the starting strong safety job, are with the team is the fact that they came from winning programs in Seattle and Denver, respectively. “It’s important,” said Gruden. “You’re trying to change the culture and we’re all working very hard to do that. You bring in some people with some great leadership skills and have been at winning programs, it’s important. They know how to win and how to prepare to win.”
—Most value cornerbacks for their coverage ability. Gruden likes Chris Culliver’s physical nature and tackling ability. “I like the fact that he’s a tough physical corner,’ said Gruden. “So if there is a running back that gets outside and he has to make a tackle, he’s going to make the tackle. You know, all these screens that you see – receiver screens – he does a great job of fighting off receiving blocks and getting off and making tackles. I like tough, physical corners and then to have one that can also cover is a heck of a bonus.”
—One thing I’m noticing is that it’s hard to get Gruden to talk about Robert Griffin III. A question about that particular quarterback turns into an answer about all three QBs. And it’s not just Gruden. I asked Sean McVay about Griffin and here was the answer I got. “I think we are seeing improvement,” said the Redskins offensive coordinator. “I think Colt [McCoy] and Kirk [Cousins] have also shown improvement as we’ve gone through the OTAs. Coach [Joe] Barry’s defense has done a great job giving us a bunch of looks where we’re seeing different types of coverages and pressures. I think all the quarterbacks have continued to improve each practice.” I’m not sure if it’s important but it is something to file away.
—It’s been 163 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be 97 days until they play the Dolphins at FedEx Field.
—Days until: Redskins minicamp starts 8; Redskins training camp starts 52; Preseason opener @ Browns 67
If you have any questions about what’s going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
In case you missed it
- OTA report–Defense
- Redskins embracing bit role on HBO’s Hard Knocks
- Jay Gruden addresses DeSean Jackson’s 2nd missed OTA session
- Redskins add young offensive tackle
- Redskins’ Gruden declines to comment on Jamison Crowder
- Interested and offended, D.C. mayor walks thin line on Redskins return
- RG3, safety depth chart of interest at today’s Redskins OTA
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins' Cousins passing more often and more effectively on first down
- Number Crunch - Redskins offense looks poised for a breakout
- Center depth issues not new for Redskins - even with attempts to improve
- Kouandjio likely to start at left guard for Redskins on Sunday
- Need to Know: Final thoughts on Redskins vs. Giants—Is the Cousins of 2015 back yet?
- Gruden presser wrapup: Even he's not sure what a catch is
- Why all options are on the table for Redskins' offensive line
- With injuries at cornerback, Fuller is the next man up for the Redskins
- Will DeAngelo Hall return to the Redskins in 2017?
- A lucky win for the Redskins? Or were Giants lucky to be in it?