Need to Know: RG3, safety depth chart of interest at today’s Redskins OTA

Jun 9, 2015, 5:10 AM EDT

Here is what you need to know on this Tuesday, June 9, 7 days before the Washington Redskins start minicamp.

What I’ll be looking for at today’s OTA session:

Texans practices—The team announced them yesterday so we’ll ask Jay Gruden how it came about and what they hope to get out of it.

Jamison Crowder’s situation—The story of domestic violence accusations coming via Crowder’s own since-deleted Instagram account has hung in the air since it came to light last week. If he is there we hopefully will get a chance to get his side of the story. In either case we will see what Gruden has to say about it.

RG3’s progress—The question virtually every week will be if he is better than he was the week before. Griffin threw some nice passes last week but at times he looked like he did on worst days in 2014. Fewer bad plays and/or more quick, solid decisions will be a good sign that he is making enough progress to hold on to his job.

Strong safety—Duke Ihenacho has been lining up as the starting safety during the OTA sessions that have been open to the media. But we only see one out of three OTAs per week and the word is that Jeron Johnson is lining up with the starters on some of the closed days. This likely will be a competition that will last into training camp and maybe into the regular season.

Follow me @Rich_TandlerCSN and Tarik El-Bashir (@TarikCSN) to keep up with what’s going on at OTAs today. Things get going at 11:15. I’ll have the practice report up in the afternoon.

Today’s schedule: OTA 11:15, open to media. Player availability and Jay Gruden and Sean McVay news conferences after OTA, approx. 1:10.

—It’s been 163 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be 97 days until they play the Dolphins at FedEx Field.

Days until: Redskins minicamp starts 8; Redskins training camp starts 52; Preseason opener @ Browns 67

If you have any questions about what’s going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.

Follow Real Redskins on Instagram @RichTandler

1. colorofmyskinz - Jun 9, 2015 at 6:31 AM

RGIII progress is concerning. To look like he did on “his worst days” does not show he has changed anything or progressed at all. Even if he had some nice passes. He has always had “some nice passes.” Progress to me woukd be making his worst reads and passes in OTAs better than his worst last year. We have always seen flashes of brilliance. I would rather see his worst days improved than vs more nice passes. That would mean that he has addressed his deamons. To me it sounds he is right where he was last year, just more healthy.

Am I hearing that correctly?

This is a “no excuses” year for him. He had better learn to trust the footwork intended to develop the timing of the routes and place him into the NEW and IMPROVED pockets or he is history. He actually had pockets last year, he just scrambled away from where they were intended to be pockets.

Could be a long year to determine him a bust or must…

• skinsgame - Jun 9, 2015 at 6:45 AM

“This is a “no excuses” year for him.”
      That depends on who you’re talking to. There are those that will ignore their own eyeballs and continue to defend lousy play. I’m looking forward to Robert settling the discussion this year, one way or another, but I’m not holding my breath.

• sidepull - Jun 9, 2015 at 7:16 AM

Well said. What I hope happens is that RG3 just comes out and delivers. Solves a whole lot of problems for him, team, fans etc. Make everybody happy. The worst case scenario in my mind is if he just doesn’t cut it and they continue too play him and leave games on the table that they might have won had they otherwise just cut bait and moved to there back up plan. How long a leash does Robert really have?

• warpath1 - Jun 9, 2015 at 8:02 AM

I’m not sure it matters if he masters the offense, I don’t think he can play 16 games without serious injury

• jonevans511 - Jun 9, 2015 at 11:35 AM

To your worst case scenario, I agree but I don’t think the Skins would give him too long of a leash if he struggles mightily (especially in terms of decision making, because slow decisions= hard hits a lot of the time). They are very mindful of the injury guarantee related to his 2016 option, so as the year progresses the Skins will be in a position to start RG only if he looks solid. If that happens and he still gets injured, it’s a gamble that the Skins had to take, and if his injury isn’t career threatening at least they know they have a competent starting QB when he returns. If he doesn’t play well but the Skins keep him in and he gets hurt, that would be the absolute worst case I can think of…..

• Skulb - Jun 9, 2015 at 9:22 AM

He just needs to play an average game though. Only the delusional are seriously expecting a return to 2012 form at this point. But he should be able to do average, unless his confidence has completely abandoned him. If he can play better than Geno Smith this year he`ll have a job. It`s not exactly a tall order.

• abanig - Jun 9, 2015 at 10:04 AM

I agree. As I said in other posts. I expect him to be a little up and down, but overall to per for about average or slightly above. I expect him to play how he did the final 3 games of the 2014 season against the Giants, Eagles & Cowboys.

Where he averaged 67%, 264 yards, 8.8 ypc, 1 td, 1 int, 89 rtg

If he can have that kind of efficiency the entire season then he’s going to throw for around, or over, 4,000 yds and around or over 20 tds and he’ll probably be in the teens somewhere as far as ints go.

Then, I think we can expect him to have around his 2013 rushing stats with hopefully more opportunities to run the ball in for TDs via QB sneaks or read option around the goal line.

So, rushing I’m thinking about 75 carries, 450 yds, 6 yd avg and 4 or 5 tds rushing.

I really don’t think it’s too unrealistic to expect Robert to have this kind of season.

• Skulb - Jun 9, 2015 at 11:18 AM

Sounds good to me. I wouldn`t complain for another second if he can deliver something like this.

• gonavybeatarmy - Jun 9, 2015 at 10:24 AM

You made an excellent point the other day (and today) regarding Griffin’s very respectable statistical performance in the final three division games in 2015. And that was following a brutal season of another major injury, mediocre play in the Houston game before the injury vs Jacksonville and the dress down through the media of Griffin by Gruden. And the potential stats you outlined for 2015 is plausible and would certainly justify his return in 2016.

But he must perform over the first quarter of the season or the drum beat for Cousins would be justifiable in the second quarter of the season. Here’s hoping he performs well early as it would be nice to finally, for the love of God, nail down the QB position for the first time in decades.

• Skulb - Jun 9, 2015 at 11:14 AM

That would be awesome. But it`s all up to Robert. I`m hoping he`ll turn a corner but I`m not convinced in any way.

• renhoekk2 - Jun 9, 2015 at 11:00 AM

To me if there is more talk of Griffin extending plays, that is concerning. Some may see that as a positive, and it is if it is the rare occasion. But if it is happening frequently that means he’s not moving in the pocket, or executing the play correctly, and is still holding on to the ball instead of getting it out on time. You can’t have consistent offensive success scrambling around playing sandlot football.

• Skulb - Jun 9, 2015 at 11:17 AM

Well it all depends on how he plays it. Elusive QBs can get away with and even benefit from extending plays. The problem with Griffin last year was that he wasn`t really all that elusive most of the time, which meant that the pressure got him when it came much too often.

That brings me back to the basic relation between the NFL average time to pressure of somewhere short of three seconds. If you`re slower with the pass than that and you aren`t elusive you`re gonna get sacked. Loads and loads.

the line could help some if it indeed has been improved. But Griffin still needs to be faster and more decisive. Or more elusive.

• berniebernard666 - Jun 9, 2015 at 10:51 AM

the EYEBALL test is over. With Scott M its all about wins and losses. “Just win Baby”………or else!

2. gonavybeatarmy - Jun 9, 2015 at 7:13 AM

Well said.

Thanks so much for this honest, but very depressing, report. It’s very different from some of the self-serving clowns in town who follow the team and seem to always want to be buddies with players and coaches.

3. abanig - Jun 9, 2015 at 9:43 AM

It seems to me Griffin is showing progress, sometimes the defense is going to win. He’s not always going to make the best decision with the football, he’s not perfect and he’s not a QB who’s been in the league for near 10 years and knows his offense front and back.

The best qbs in the nfl are in their 30’s or close to it, with the exception of Luck. I think Redskins fans need to think about that sometimes and think about how developing a quarterback in the NFL is a long term process. Most qbs are inconsistent in their early and mid 20s. When they get to their late 20s and early 30s, then you’ll see the QB finally become totally developed and be one of the league’s best.

I also disagree with warpath1. In 2013, Coming off of his knee injury, Griffin would have played all 16 games if Shanahan wouldn’t have made up the lies about wanting to play Kirk Cousins so they could make sure Robert was healthy going in the 2014 off season and so the team could get a first round draft pick for Kirk Cousins in the 2014 draft because he was going to WOW everyone the last 3 games of the 2013 season.

How’d that work out?

• berniebernard666 - Jun 9, 2015 at 10:44 AM

correction: the best QB’s are in their 30’s with the exceptions of Luck, Wilson, Tannehill. ALL DRAFTED IN THE SAME YEAR as Robert Griffin the 3rd. However with that said, you still have a valid point because some quarterbacks are just slow….and they need more time to develop. Plus Griffin is with a team that seems to enjoy changing head coaches every other year along with changing offensive systems, changing QB coaches, and changing offensive coordinators.

A little STABILITY might add to Roberts ability to stay healthy and be more productive. Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson have played in the same system now for THREE years in a row. (that was a Clue)

• abanig - Jun 9, 2015 at 12:22 PM

Tanehill is slightly above average, Wilson benefits from being on the best overall team in the nfl. It’s not like anything Wilson does is that special. Wilson is a great player, who mostly makes the right decisions wife his passes, when to run and how to protect himself. Wilson is a great field general. As a passer though, Wilson is average and overrated.

Wilson threw for 3,475 yds, 20 tds and 7 ints in 2014. Those #s don’t blow away Griffin’s 2012 or 2013 passing numbers. What Wilson did do last year was run the ball even more effectively than he had in 2012 or 2013. He had more yards and he scored 6 tds rushing.

• ET - Jun 9, 2015 at 12:57 PM

Wilson is great at extending plays, taking advantage of defensive breakdowns, and not f#cking up too often. That opportunistic ability goes a long way.

• ET - Jun 9, 2015 at 11:04 AM

Excellent point about QB development time.

Skins fans were misled, in some fashion, by Robert’s incredible rookie season. Not that it was a complete fluke, but A.) Robert still had many flaws to work on, despite his outstanding 2012 performance; and B.) the rest of the got wise to Kyle’s tweaked offense, so that was a limited-time opportunity even if Robert had managed to remain healthy.

Though your development comment applies to Cousins as well. If Kirk can conquer his turnover issues, he could easily be a quality NFL starter.

• ET - Jun 9, 2015 at 11:05 AM

Oops, should be “rest of the league got wise …”

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Jun 9, 2015 at 11:47 AM

Please tell me what games the rest of the league got wise. Because the way I remember it we just quit running the Pistol and read option. So if the leauge got wise please tellme exactly wich games we tried running those formations and plays and they shut us down.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jun 9, 2015 at 11:57 AM

ET, all good points and I can’t emphasis enough how the ACL/MCL injury in the playoffs impaired his development as a pocket passer.

Tim, I see your point and it’s hard to tell whether the injury slowed down that offense or the DC’s just wised up to stopping it. Seattle still manages to run that offense quiet effectively. Oh and Seattle took that offense from us :)

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Jun 9, 2015 at 12:34 PM

If the Defense wised up to stopping it what game was that????? Everyone wants to say it was a gimmick and the Defenses figured it out tell me what game this happened?.

• abanig - Jun 9, 2015 at 12:52 PM

You’re right. The Read option still works in the NFL. If Griffin hadn’t gotten hurt in 2012, I do believe we would have beaten the Seahawks in the playoff game.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jun 9, 2015 at 2:49 PM

Tim, I think I correctly recall that the Ravens have done a good job stopping Miami last year but that was Miami’s read option not Seattle’s. There is a concept called the “scrape exchange” implemented that some DC claim stymies the read option. Basically the DE and Outside LB’s switch roles on who to key on. However, It’s really hard to point out which specific game proved the stopped the read option. Right now the gold standard is Seattle and not many defenses had success stopping the offense so Carolina maybe?. I actually agree that the Redskins mostly abandoned the read option and no team proved they could stop fully healthy 2012 RG3 version if he’ll have exist again behind center. ACL/MCL injuries really take many seasons to fully recover. Maybe we’ll see a fully healthy RG3 return to the read this season. For now I agree no one stopped the best QB I’ve seen running the read option which was a healthy 2012 RG3.

• abanig - Jun 9, 2015 at 12:10 PM

Yea it applies to Kirk also, but it’s not Robert’s fault that the Shanahan’s screwed Kirk over by drafting him 2 picks after they took himself.

I still don’t understand why Kirk was even drafted. Sure, he’s a good QB prospect, but when you select a QB second overall that you traded several picks to go up and get, you don’t take a second QB two draft picks later.

I feel for Kirk, because I do believe he’s a good QB prospect and I believe if Robert wasn’t selected overall and Kirk was our starter from week 1 in 2012, that Cousins would be a better QB right now that Ryan Tanehill and Nick Foles. Heck, even though Kirk hasn’t played all of those snaps since 2012, he’s proven that he’s every bit as good as both of them, possibly better but if Robert is showing progress Robert is going to be the guy.

The minute you trade up using multiple firsts to select a QB 2nd overall in the draft, then that’s your QB of the future through at least his first contract.

That’s just the way it is. Sucks for Kirk and it’s not Kirk’s fault, that’s just the breaks.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jun 9, 2015 at 11:51 AM

abanig, I completely agree with you about QB development and IMO, many fans just don’t appreciate the turmoil the organization/injury has put RG3 through which has severely hurt his development. I won’t deny RG3 has blame to be shared but troubled organizations like here can hamper or even destroy player development. Heck, Rogers didn’t become a regular starter until his 5th year. However you have fans already calling RG3 a bust? It’s mind numbing to say the least.

I do think many QBs can hit their prime in the mid 20s but again development is key along with where that development occurs. Luck’s durability is amazing especially under a less than average line; so I can see why he has the best chance of becoming elite in the NFL.

Anyway where did you read that Shanahan lied and was pushing for a 1st round pick on Cousins? That is something I always thought fans conjured up as a convenient story more than confirmation of this ever being what Shanahan actually planned.

• abanig - Jun 9, 2015 at 12:33 PM

In a press conference at some point in 2013, Shanahan was asked about the benching of Robert and he did say they thought they could recoup a first round pick for Kirk.

I can’t remember when exactly it was, but it was sometime over the last two months he was in DC. It was either the end of The season in 2013 or right after the season ended in a press conference in January of 2014.

I mean, to me that’s a lie. He was making up excuses on why he benched Robert in 2013 just like he did with McNabb in 2010 and Jake Plummer in 2006. Saying it was to protect them from getting hurt or whatever.

If the QB isn’t playing well enough, the head coach should have the balls to tell the media I benched him because he isn’t playing well. Don’t make up lies about not wanting them to get hurt or about wanting to play the back up so you can get a first round pick for the young back up – something which most people knew would never happen.

4. mr.moneylover - Jun 9, 2015 at 10:06 AM

Im not expecting rg3 to hit on every throw in practice…the more they make things difficult in practice for him the better he will be when the games get real…its still will be a competition in training camp but overall hes the best QB we have on the roster but I wouldnt be surprise if jay gruden is not happy with rg3 or kirk cousins progress we might see colt mccoy week 1 and when colt mccoy played last year he looked like Russell wilson on some of the plays and I think colt mccoy got a edge over the rest of the QBs simply cause he knows how to read the defense and switch up plays…and like I said before jay gruden not showing or telling all his cards to the media early this year you gonna have to wait and see what happens during training camp and after

• mr.moneylover - Jun 9, 2015 at 10:10 AM

I also read a report that when robert Griffin The lll runs the ball in practice he looked like he got his speed back from 2012

• abanig - Jun 9, 2015 at 10:15 AM

I doubt he’s ever going to have that 4.3 speed again.

He’s going to have mike speed though than what he had in 2013 when he was playing with the brace on and in 2014 when he was coming back from his dislocated ankle.

I know for myself though, I’d much rather see Griffin dump the ball off to a RB, TE or slot WR around the line of scrimmage or 5 to 10 yards downfield and have them do the running than to see Griffin take off on a run.

Griffin has to learn he doesn’t have to do it all and there is no harm in taking the easy play/pass and having your playmaker go try and make a play for you – that’s mainly what being a good and consistent QB is all about. You don’t have to always make the flashy plays, but you need to make the right decisions and make the easy plays look routine and be consistent.

• berniebernard666 - Jun 9, 2015 at 10:35 AM

so you want to see Griffin dump the ball off? Really? So then you want to see a repeat of last season because he dumped the ball off about 80 percent of the time instead of going downfield……and that worked out well, didn’t it?

Griffin IS Mr. Dump off.

• ET - Jun 9, 2015 at 11:18 AM

Another good point. Robert often gets into trouble when he reverts to that lone cowboy, gotta-make-something-happen mode. (Flip side: he’s generated some amazing plays this way.) Is it a maturity issue? A trust issue? An ego issue? I’m not sure, but Robert needs to fix it.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jun 9, 2015 at 12:02 PM

Mike speed as in Mike Vick? Maybe I misread you there but even RG3 in his prime was never a 4.2 runner like Mike Vick. I’d be more happy to see RG3 maintain a 4.4. He’d still be a huge weapon to use on designed run plays.

• abanig - Jun 9, 2015 at 12:56 PM

That’s totally not what I said. I said I’d rather see him throw to his outlet than to take off scrambling and put himself in harms way w/o good blocking on the edges of the field. That’s how he was hurt in 2012.

I definitely want to see Gruden call more deep passes though and we can see that Robert rifle to Jackson like we got to see him use on deep passes to Aldrick Robinson in 2012 & 2013.

• abanig - Jun 9, 2015 at 12:58 PM

* I meant “MORE” speed. Not, Mike speed.

I hate that you can’t edit your posts on here.

• berniebernard666 - Jun 9, 2015 at 10:48 AM

ya made a good point Moneylover. The Skins coaches could make Griffin look like Peyton Manning IN PRACTICE. But what would be the point. They need to challenge him, fool him, try to trick him, rush and hurry him, and pressure him IN PRACTICE. Make it difficult so the game situation becomes more normal for him.

I am expecting Griffin do be somewhat better and that will be good enough with a top 5 defense.

5. berniebernard666 - Jun 9, 2015 at 10:30 AM

here is a little secret. How somebody looks in OTA’s is not going to make much difference once they get the pads on. Some people look GREAT in short pants and t shirts. Does it mean much? No. So should it mean much if someone looks average in shorts? No

Here is all that matters. Wins and Losses. THAT is what Griffin will be judged on this season. He better produce wins and he can look good or look average. But he needs to produce wins whether running or passing.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jun 9, 2015 at 12:05 PM

A QB can’t produce whens if the defense allows more points than the offense. RG3 needs to produce numbers and scores. The wins and losses is based on how the whole teams performs not just one position.

6. redskinsnameisheretostay - Jun 9, 2015 at 12:09 PM

I’m trying to recall a time when the offense showed up ahead of the defense in the NFL during OTAs. So with that said, RG3 and every other QB struggling doesn’t seem to be a red flag at the moment. Maybe if you read Rich and others writing how Cousins was performing far better than RG3 in OTAs under the same defenses then there would be some concerns about RG3’s progression. However, I’ll hold those concerns for the preseason games.

7. mr.moneylover - Jun 9, 2015 at 4:03 PM

I herd rg3 had a good day today and that ryan grant is having another solid offseason rg3 connected with him in the end zone for a touchdown from the 5 yard line and rg3 also connected with jamison crowder who wouldve picked up a nice gain

8. mr.moneylover - Jun 9, 2015 at 4:12 PM

The first OTA open to the media they had jeron johnson playing CB postion and joe barry said CBs will play the CB postion and safeties will play the safety postion…idk if this was true or not but I herd perry riley was practising with the second unit witch I hope he stay there we need a upgrade in his spot…we simply dont know witch players will start this year Archives