Redskins’ Gruden has only faint praise for Griffin

Jun 5, 2015, 9:01 AM EDT

I suppose you can argue with Peter King’s placement of the Redskins at No. 25 on his latest NFL power rankings but it’s hard to argue with his reasoning.

I’d love to muster up enthusiasm for Jay Gruden, a good man and a good coach. But I can’t get his RGIII negativity out of my head from last season. Only Robert Griffin III can do that—for both of us.

The Redskins should have a better defense this year than they had during last year’s 4-12 campaign. The running game will operate behind an upgraded offensive line. That line should give Griffin more time to throw (assuming that the backs and tight ends to a better job in pass protection).

But it will be hard for them to improve enough to climb out of the dregs of the NFL without solid play at the quarterback position.

After the Redskins’ OTA session on Wednesday Gruden was still unable to generate much enthusiasm for Griffin’s play.

“I think he’s taking the right steps. It’s still OTAs,” said Gruden when asked about Griffin’s progress during the offseason. “Nobody’s sitting on all that good stuff. We are getting some great looks from our defense. We’re in shorts. We’re getting some good full-speed looks. There’s no contact obviously, but the timing, the rhythm of your offense still has to be intact. The defense hustling and getting to their zone drops has to be sound in what you’re doing. Decisions have to be made. He’s going through the process, re-learning everything, studying, going through the right progressions, making a mistake here and there, but we’re learning.”

Gruden went on to talk about the learning process during OTAs, learning the defense of new coordinator Joe Barry, learning the offense, and “all three quarterbacks” doing some good and some bad but gaining confidence with each rep.

Later on in his news conference he was asked about wide receiver DeSean Jackson developing timing with the quarterbacks.

“I feel good about all three quarterbacks honestly and their progression,” he said. “But we do need to settle on one – it would be nice to settle on one.”

Talk of “settling on one” quarterback raised a few eyebrows. After all, just a couple of days earlier team president Bruce Allen declared, “We think Robert is our starting quarterback.”

When asked to clarify the “settle” comment at the end of his news conference, Gruden backtracked a bit. “Oh, yeah. I mean, we still have got to play games and all that stuff,” he said. “We have announced Robert as the starter obviously and we’re going to go from there.”

It’s just hard to find too much excitement for Griffin in what Gruden says. Certainly he doesn’t want to go overboard with compliments for Griffin’s play, which has been good but not great in the two OTA sessions that have been open to reporters. But there is some middle ground between giving too much encouragement and damning with faint praise. While we don’t know what is going on in the meeting rooms or in on-field exchanges between coach and quarterback, his public comments on Griffin are more on the faint praise side of things.

As King noted, it’s up to Griffin to turn Gruden around. If Griffin can get his toughest critic to be his biggest advocate, things could be looking up for the Redskins.

111 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. gonavybeatarmy - Jun 5, 2015 at 9:20 AM

What’s this guy’s deal? I’m not 100% convinced, nor is any fan, that Griffin will absolutely be the long term answer at QB. But for the love of God, Gruden acts like a child and he is not a leader of men. He’s as inspirational as a damp sponge. Griffin is a young guy in his twenties, as is Cousins, and Gruden is nearly 50 years old. But Gruden comes across as a child. And I’m just a fan very distant from the team’s operations. But if a team ultimately takes on the personality of its head coach, this team is screwed. We need a leader of men. Bring on David Shaw.

• Manuel Gonzalez - Jun 5, 2015 at 10:07 AM

I keep saying it……..this year is a waist. Scott will be bringing in a new coach in 2016. Gruden does not want Griffin starting point blank and its obvious. Kirk has potential but has the shorter ceiling. Let’s not go there with Colt. My biggest fear now is if Griffin is successful and Gruden stays, I couldn’t imagine why RG3 would want to be lead by this coach throughout his career and sign long term. We all know what’s at stake here. This season RG3 has to show progress and stay healthy or he’ll be suiting up for another team next year. Why add fuel to the fire? Can we get through one season without qb drama?

• weneedlinemen42 - Jun 5, 2015 at 10:50 AM

One of the major problems for Gruden is that, even if Griffin isn’t a serviceable QB, he had two other young QBs on the roster, and they didn’t show any signs of progress either.

Both Cousins and McCoy delivered exactly the same sort of performances that they had delivered in previous years. Gruden did nothing for any of his quarterbacks.

In fact, at best he failed to do any damage to McCoy. He made a good effort at utterly destroying the confidence of both Griffin and Cousins.

• gasngo14 - Jun 5, 2015 at 11:12 AM

Cousins numbers were defiantly better last season so in fact he did get better % wise in many of categories…

• Stephfan - Jun 5, 2015 at 11:27 AM

That means nothing if he didn’t win

• Skulb - Jun 5, 2015 at 12:29 PM

The offense put up 36 points against Philly. You should win when you score that much so it`s on the D that they didn`t win.

• Stephfan - Jun 5, 2015 at 12:32 PM

Skulb if you read other comments I have also talked bout the defense. But this one comment talked bout who had the better % not the games a whole. I’ve said before that our defense has been trash since 2010

• Skulb - Jun 5, 2015 at 12:36 PM

You`Ll get no arguments from me on that one. In fact if you go to NFL`s website and look for their two articles about best offensive and defensive team units the only team units they consider the Redskins to be in the bottom five with is corner and safety. Hard to disagree really. Although of course the QB is bottom five statistically last season as well. I guess NFL is expecting improvement.

• Skulb - Jun 5, 2015 at 12:33 PM

There`s drama because of horrible QB play right. Play better and the problems go away. I`m not expecting it but if Washington can manage an 8-8 season the criticism will be less intense as well. No fan base accepts 3-13 and 4-12 seasons back to back. What you call drama is a normal response to being the supporter of an objectively horrible football team.

• gasngo14 - Jun 5, 2015 at 5:00 PM

@stephfan ..maybe you need to read the comments again …you say

“But this one comment talked bout who had the better %”

in fact i replied to their comment “that none of our QB’S got better under Gruden” ..that is FALSE and thats what i replied nothing about who was better ..period!

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Jun 5, 2015 at 11:20 PM

Who had the better percentage? Stats say RG3

• wvredskins - Jun 5, 2015 at 3:42 PM

I like Gruden, he is a straight shooter. Did he go over board with his comments last year? Yeah. Did he make alot of mistakes last year? Yeah. It was his first year, give the guy a break. He is very intelligent when it comes to X’s and O’s. And he is giving RG3 every opportunity to get better and be the clear cut #1 QB. BUT This is the NFL. These are adults, they are not children. RG3 played HORRIBLE last year. Gruden didnt do the best coaching job either, but he is taking the right steps by getting a QB coach and saying the right things. Winning cures everything PERIOD. If he doesnt show improvements this year I would be extremely surprised!

• hk2000 - Jun 6, 2015 at 1:22 AM

He’s awful, he is still saying the wrong things, he is not coaching the QBs he is acting like an observer or a fan and basically talking as if he has nothing to do with the results we’re seeing. he still runs his mouth to the media as if he is an ESPN analyst- not a coach. He does not know X’s and O’s, his departure from Cincy had NO EFFECT whatsoever! And let’s see what else? This guy is a complete disaster who should have never been hired!!!!!!!! I’ve been saying ZORN2.0, but I think that is too optimistic for this idiot.

• weneedlinemen42 - Jun 5, 2015 at 10:45 AM

I wasn’t a fan of the Jay Gruden signing from the start but last was worse than expected.

The offensive play-calling procedure was just ridiculous. Gruden chooses the play, then tells McVay and McVay radios it into the QB. That’s just introducing a totally unnecessary step into the procedure. It’s not as though Gruden is unfamiliar with calling plays into his QB.

• Johan Beyer - Jun 5, 2015 at 1:47 PM

Gruden is a punk! Get rid of him!!

• skinsgame - Jun 6, 2015 at 1:43 AM

Even if they do, it won’t help Griffin. He’s slow minded at the QB spot.

• hk2000 - Jun 6, 2015 at 2:09 AM

With the right coach, he can be a completely different QB, he’s already proven that. This comment about being slow is just stupid- you’ve been listening to Cooley and the other idiots on ESPN980.

2. Kevin - Jun 5, 2015 at 9:26 AM

Praise him for what? Let them both do their jobs before you pickup the pitchforks and torches. #mediagenerateddrama

• shanevalliere19 - Jun 6, 2015 at 9:59 AM

Kevin, I TOTALLY agree! This is media driven and looking for something to fuel these blogs. Looking into every word maybe their job but it’s splitting hairs to me. Let’s starting developing opinions when the season has started. And I’m talking about around game 4 as that’s when most teams show who they really are, though I think we all knew what we would be after game 1 at Houston last year. Everyone take a step back and check themselves and let this whole thing play out.

3. 214hof - Jun 5, 2015 at 9:58 AM

I don’t see Gruden as “childish”, but I do think he needs a better filter when talking to the media.

4. gasngo14 - Jun 5, 2015 at 10:01 AM

Competition at every position is how it needs to be, play your best performing players on Sundays no matter how much money they make or when they were drafted!

• httrforever74 - Jun 5, 2015 at 5:54 PM

5. howleyesque - Jun 5, 2015 at 10:02 AM

ROFLMAO!! Yep, there’s the answer change coaches…again. LOL That’s recipe for winning. I’d tell you folks to wake up and lighten up that it’s like Marinelli said when asked about the Cowboys’ OTA’s. They’re fighting AIR and so far their winning. So, maybe Gruden ISN’T sold on the fantabulous Bobbie III and Snyder is still whining about “all we gave up to get him, especially after the first thing his LAST HC did was to see just how fast he could demotivate the $100 million FA Danny had landed. On second thought, I’m LESS concerned now that see what a truly dysfunctional mess the Deadskins are (I’d been telling fellow Cowboys fans that YOUR TEAM was going to be the tough competition in the division. Have fun sluggin’ it out with Mara’s Marvels and that collection of training room commandos “the Chipster” is putting together in Filthadelphia. ..for the basement.

• jonevans511 - Jun 5, 2015 at 9:34 PM

Are you high? This comment is all over the place, not sure exactly what your point is but I’ll say this- if you’re a fan of the boys you have no right to talk down on any other team. They haven’t been relevant, aside from media-forced attention, in over a decade. It’s cool to come to a Redskins website and talk trash I guess, but realistically speaking the only aspect of your team that’s significantly better than the Skins is your O-line. Now go ahead and convince us Romo is an elite QB because we all need a good laugh.

6. 214hof - Jun 5, 2015 at 10:12 AM

As for Griffin, don’t get me started… I was probably the only fan pissed we drafted him. After watching him play NO week one in 2012, I was swayed to say the least. Now I’m at the point where I just want him to step up and play, or get outta the way for a guy that will. Hopefully when we see a different QB line up with the starters it’s because of Rob’s performance (or lack thereof) not because of injury.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jun 6, 2015 at 2:01 PM

Find me any rookie QB that continued to develop and perform well after coming out of that season with a blown knee and dysfunctional front office and I’ll find you a hope diamond in my back yard.

7. troylok - Jun 5, 2015 at 10:13 AM

If Gruden doesn’t have faith in RG3, they need to fire the coach or trade the player. It will not be good for team unity if Gruden feels like he is painted into a corner with RG3 – which it sounds like he is. I think McGloughan is going to try to make the two co-exist but I feel the lug nuts starting to come off this relationship already.

It’s probably not going to happen, but it would be interesting to get a candid opinion of RG3 from the new QB coach. He’s the guy caught between Gruden and RG3.

8. Stephfan - Jun 5, 2015 at 10:24 AM

Get gruden outta here is clear as day he never wanted griffin. Griffin has done something in the leave. He won a division title and rookie of the year. All it seems gruden wants to do is have another hectic year and we don’t need that! A coach is supposed to work with his qb not force him into something. All great coaches have done that, Gibbs, bill, Walsh, I could go on. It seems to me that gruden thinks he is the top guy on this team and its his way or the highway. Will hopefully mcclu gets his butt tossed if he isn’t trying to work with griffin. A coach should try and work and it obvious he isn’t. His play calling dictates that as well as his harsh comments. But McCoy get blown out by the Rams and nothing is said! Cousins throws 2 count em 2 ints in the cardinals game that cost it for us! But no gruden doesn’t say a word? It’s plain as day he doesn’t like griffin so gruden see us later if you have a bad season. People can’t keep pinning this on rg3 our defense played worse every year since 2010 so let’s be real here

• gasngo14 - Jun 5, 2015 at 5:11 PM

“pinning what on RG3” That he continues to take sacks because he can’t read the field, move in the pocket? Heck he can’t even get his drop backs correct . so your answer is keep firing coaches until when? RG3 needs to perform this season or else, sorry but the excuses are done he needs to step up or OUT!

• Stephfan - Jun 5, 2015 at 6:01 PM

Gasngo gruden needs to go if he can’t do what he is supposed to. So we all griff hasn’t had good seasons, I know that. I’ve said he needs to play better but if gruden can’t win with cousin and only gets one win from McCoy than what does that tell you?

• gasngo14 - Jun 5, 2015 at 6:11 PM

I am sorry but changing coaches every few years is NOT a winning recipe if you can’t understand that i don’t know what more i can tell you :) I can however tell you an 8 year old can see that RG3 can’t read the field, move in a pocket and so on, so ok lets fire another coach LOL …… like i said just below it’s time for RGME to perform!!!

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Jun 5, 2015 at 11:34 PM

Staying with a bad coach for the sake of not changing coaches is even worse

• gasngo14 - Jun 6, 2015 at 6:56 AM

tim while i agree we can’t know as of yet if he is a bad coach so what’s your point? are you just wanting to argue maybe?

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Jun 6, 2015 at 1:03 PM

No I never liked the hire.

• brucefan1 - Jun 6, 2015 at 4:40 PM

I gotta agree with Tim … I always wanted Mike Zimmer off the Bengals’ staff, but instead we got Gruden. Gru never paid the dues and had to prove himself over & over like Zim did.

And DO NOT tell me that being Jon’s li’l bro didn’t have something to do with his “buzz” as a OC (i.e., “Maybe some of Jon’s skill rubbed off on Jay! Maybe??”) And the joking at the time ; “The Skins mistakenly hired the WRONG Gruden! LOL”. Oy vey!

Gru showed time and time again that he was NOT ready for prime time last season. I kinda hoped that he went to remedial head coaching classes and boned up for 2015. But he seems like the same stumbling bumbling doofus who’s constantly tripping over his tongue. With Jay, a good policy to follow might be The Less Said, The Better.

Just glad that Mac has his eye on the situation. I trust him to make the right decisions in this matter as the situation warrants.

9. gasngo14 - Jun 5, 2015 at 10:26 AM

RG3 needs to perform better it’s that simple! He either gets better or he will need to find a new team, he has been giving every opportunity and now it’s up to him!

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jun 6, 2015 at 2:07 PM

Really? This organization has provided the ideal environment to a rookie QB to develop? Are you saying he had the same opportunities as Luck and Wilson? Look at those franchises and explain to me how the Redskins are equal.

• gasngo14 - Jun 6, 2015 at 2:55 PM

Really put words in my mouth…did i say such? He is on a NFL team and all was just great when he won ROY and took the division title, but now so many see he can’t even get the fundamentals right! Now more on your points were you crying this same crap when he played so well??? If not you are crying to the wrong person JDHAWK !!

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jun 6, 2015 at 8:54 PM

“he has been giving every opportunity and now it’s up to him’

That’s your quote RG3isaBust not mine! So you you are suggesting that he has been afforded every opportunity then you are suggesting the franchise has provided him the talent around him, the coaching, the sound play calling, etc. needed to succeed. If you are unable to make clear comments then don’t get upset with me and become so defensive about it. My user name is right above the comments so learn to use it properly.

10. zatoichi7 - Jun 5, 2015 at 10:29 AM

i’m taking a wait and see attitude for griffin this season, but at this point we’re making mountains out of mole hills.

11. mauriceatwood - Jun 5, 2015 at 10:29 AM

I say keep RG3 and get rid of Gruden if it comes to something like that needing to happen. The right offensive coordinator/head coach would take advantage of RG3’s skill set and dominate the league. Philly would love to have RG3. So would Dallas. Gruden doesn’t have to give compliments to RG3, but if the disdain he has for RG3 is that apparent then troylok is right on the money. My hope is they will find another coach who would come in without a predisposed position on RG3 and groom him the way he needs to become the all-pro he is capable of being.

• skinsgame - Jun 6, 2015 at 1:45 AM

I say keep Gruden and get rid of Griffin.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jun 6, 2015 at 2:08 PM

I say let the season play out and then make that determination. That could be a choice the GM will have to make.

12. fanfreenzy - Jun 5, 2015 at 10:31 AM

This is so old now. Why would Gruden WANT Griffin to FAIL?!! Their ultimate success is dependent on each other. This has been such a childish debate about how he doesn’t like the starting quarterback blah blah blah. Bottom line is Griffin hasn’t shown much progress as a pocket passer, so what is he supposed to say??…Griffin didn’t like the other coaching staff after he started to clash with them. So WHO would be the 3rd coach to get this guy to his so called potential?! Maybe he just sucks and no one wants to admit it. Or maybe he’ll prove doubters wrong this year. Time will tell, but the days of special treatment seem be over right along with the 2012 miracle season! Moving on…

13. realfan82 - Jun 5, 2015 at 10:35 AM

these coaches need to watch “the replacements”. Those guys were from off the streets and our coach used their skills to beat star players.

14. hk2000 - Jun 5, 2015 at 10:58 AM

Here we go, I’ve been saying it all through off season, Zorn2.0 era is upon us.

• ET - Jun 6, 2015 at 4:37 PM

You love beatin’ that horse, eh?

• gasngo14 - Jun 6, 2015 at 4:40 PM

It may well be buy I am not convinced of that just yet!

15. wonderfulfaison - Jun 5, 2015 at 11:03 AM

This is a little off topic, but with all the talk about the rookies. I haven’t heard anything about Montrell Speight. I would like to see someone push Riley, hopefully Compton and maybe Speight, though I think he gets on the practice squad this year. Can you give an update on him, Rich?

16. hk2000 - Jun 5, 2015 at 11:17 AM

What praise are you talking about? There is not one positive word in all of his quotes- Then again, who cares, the guy is an idiot and should have been chained to Haslett when that idiot got booted. If I had a million $ to bet, I’d bet on him gone next year, unfortunately that will also mean Griffin will be gone as well. This year is a complete and utter waist, why don’t Bruce Allen and the GM see it?

• hk2000 - Jun 5, 2015 at 11:26 AM

* I meant to say waste.

17. 226thebeatdontstop - Jun 5, 2015 at 11:56 AM

Gruden doesn’t get it I tried to give him the benefit of doubt . RG3s maturation an success goes a long way to ensuring Gruden remains a head coach option in NFL.

Gruden was unproven and overpaid. He should spend more time teaching ,instructing , and building up his quarterbacks instead of veiled jabs thru the media. This guy led a team to 4-12 record he should publically be more humble , behind the scenes if he has things to say fine.

The team should improve despite Gruden.

The defense should be better ,better scheme and players.. The offense should be better improved offensive line and second year of offensive scheme…. If the drama revives its on Gruden, McCloughin has no ties to him and once he sees Grudens game management, play calling, the lack of progress on Sundays he can relieve him of his duties. Gruden is so childish and arrogant instead of building players up he rips them up . I’m hoping he grows up over the next 6 weeks

• Skulb - Jun 5, 2015 at 12:44 PM

Last year`s offense was like watching people with palsy on a dance floor. I can understand why a coach would get exasperated. And the most serious case of the palsy rhythm was Griffin. Snap, dropback, um half a dropback, pressure, no throw, sack/walkout. You either need to get a coach who will accept and love being chained to Griffin or let the coach find a QB he likes. The real problem is trying to do both at the same time.
      To all you Gruden bandwagoners, Griffin was horrible last season. Absolutely horrible. Sure let`s go after Gruden when he deserves it but not for that. It is Griffin`s fault when he plays as if he`s never seen a football before. Are you gonna let him float on the 2012 ROY performance forever? Where is that player now? I haven`t seen trace of him since then.
      Perhaps the aliens have replaced him…

• Stephfan - Jun 5, 2015 at 1:11 PM

But it’s a coaches job to get their qb up to par and he did that with non of them at all! We know griff played bad.. So did the others so what’s gruden’s excuse now? A coach is supposed to work with they qb period. He throw griff under the bus but what bout cousins or mccoy

• Skulb - Jun 5, 2015 at 2:29 PM

But if what he`s saying is true I think it`s hard to complain about him saying it. People are reacting as if it`s a scandal that the Redskins coach is saying the truth in public. I mean how dare he not lie and pretend everything is fine!?!
          It`s just weird to me. Yes there`s pressure on Griffin and whoever replaces him when he gets injured or plays badly. But there was just as much pressure on him in 2012 and it didn`t seem to be a problem.
          Pressuring Griffin is not the issue here. Confidence might be, but you can`t dump all that on Gruden either. Griffin`s problems started long before Gruden got there I mean. Play badly = low confidence. It`s just basic sports psychology.
          Clearly the answer is to play better so your confidence will improve and so Gruden will stop “throwing you under the bus” by telling the truth in public.

If you stink you stink. I always preferred it when people talked straight to me when I was playing. You know you stink already so what`s the use in pretending otherwise? Is there even one fan who would be fooled by Gruden if he came out and said that Griffin is a wonderful HoF caliber QB after the last two seasons? Personally I would have laughed at his cleverly sarcastic joke.

• Stephfan - Jun 5, 2015 at 3:09 PM

Griff did play bad but you honestly can’t say cousins or McCoy who got blasted by the Rams did any better? I’ll wait

• Skulb - Jun 5, 2015 at 6:46 PM

I don`t know how many ways I can put this. it doesn`t matter what you personally think or feel about this issue; According to NFL stats they did do better, end of story. Not because they were good but because Griffin was even worse. Griffin had a better completion % because he ate more sacks. In most other categories he was worse.

Here they are at 32, 33 and 39th place in the NFL last season:

McCoy started 4 games, Kirk 6 and Robert 9. It should be fairly uncontroversial to say that it is likely that McCoy would have matched RGIII`s numbers if they had a comparable sample size. Cousins already did, int barrage and all. I would also like you to take a look at some of the QBs who were better than them, including in particular Blake Bortles and Geno Smith.

I don`t know why you`re making me rehash this depressing stuff when you have just as easy access to stats as I do. It is a fact that RGIII was the worst QB in Washington last year, even thouhg it was by a somewhat narrow margin. It isn`t my opinion. Any adult discussion must proceed from this fact.

• Stephfan - Jun 5, 2015 at 6:48 PM

Ok you got

• gasngo14 - Jun 5, 2015 at 6:56 PM

Skulb nice post @ 6:46 !

• Skulb - Jun 5, 2015 at 6:59 PM

Woops, long season apparently. I meant to say 8, 5 and 3 respectively of course. I`ve just been over this so many times I`m getting frustrated. The only positives were Dallas, both Eagles games and I guess Jacksonville. So that`s basically one good performance pr QB. The two worst were Tampa and St Louis, and by golly they were bad. if anyone gets a pass on that end of the scale it has to be Cousins. At least he managed to score some points in his games.

• Stephfan - Jun 5, 2015 at 7:07 PM

I’m not talk to an ignorant person that only want to blame one person. Blame everyone because regardless of percentage, who won games? Griffin, not cousin he has lost every game but one and that was in 2012. And McCoy only won one but griffin wind more games and he is the worst? You have you opinion and I have mine so leave it at that

• Skulb - Jun 5, 2015 at 7:09 PM

Yes let`s all just ignore reality and have baseless emotional responses to everything. Sounds good to me!

• gasngo14 - Jun 5, 2015 at 7:33 PM

stephfan can RG3 read the field? move in a pocket? can he do the correct drop backs routinely ? why can’t anyone blame him for this?has he not had enough time to learn this? heck can he even slide correctly? please enlighten me on when you feel he should be able to do these fundamentals ….:)

• Stephfan - Jun 5, 2015 at 8:32 PM

Gasngo can you not read I’ve already said griff needed work too or are you blind. Your only mentioning one thing. So if you have nothing more to say on the whole topic good day to u

• gasngo14 - Jun 5, 2015 at 8:40 PM

stephfan i read just fine and you can’t answer my question and still defend rg3 can you ……..HA!

• Stephfan - Jun 5, 2015 at 9:10 PM

You can talk all you want too… But I’ve said my opinions. I just find it funny that rg3 is the only bad qb? When cousins hasn’t won a game and McCoy has won 1.. But yes let’s make them the starters! But all I know is I believe griff can turn it around. If the coach would get off his high horse and tailor the offense to griff it will work also having a qb coach will help as well. Griffin can be fixed and I will defend him but I’ve also said he needs to play better but I guess you miss that so good day to you

• gasngo14 - Jun 6, 2015 at 7:08 AM

Well Steph …. I am not sure i said Griff is the only bad QB….. Also i hope he does play well, we need him to step up and if he can’t we must move forward it’s that simple!!!

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jun 6, 2015 at 12:16 PM

Exactly! We saw 3 QBs on the field last season and outside of McCoy’s game at Dallas; none excelled. If you want to be so quick to toss aside RG3 then you have to say the same for Cousins and McCoy.

• Stephfan - Jun 6, 2015 at 12:47 PM

I never said to toss away rg3

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jun 6, 2015 at 12:22 PM

Skulb, the question I have to ask you is when all 3 QBs are in the bottom 30s in statistically rankings, assuming they even reflect accurately a QBs performance, how can you not question Gruden’s play calling and offense preparation?

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jun 6, 2015 at 12:33 PM

“stephfan can RG3 read the field? move in a pocket? can he do the correct drop backs routinely ? why can’t anyone blame him for this?has he not had enough time to learn this?”

These are all valid questions, However…
          1) With no pro style QB experience in college
          2) With a limited OTA in his rookie season
          3) Recovery from ACL/MCL in another off season resulting in no OTA and very little TC
          4) A season mired by front office implosion on Shanahan’s final season
          5) Having to learn under a rookie coach with a new offensive scheme last season

I’d say it’s more than fair to give a young heavily invested QB the next two season to develop into a true blue pocket passing QB. Some progress is to be expected this season. However, if you want to criticize RG3’s development then how can you not at least consider how the Organization has managed his development? Few QBs if any could excel as a Redskin QB based on how the last 3 seasons have gone.

• gasngo14 - Jun 6, 2015 at 3:06 PM

Sorry these are basic fundamentals an NFL QB should be much better at after year 4, he has had plenty of time. And with reports of him kicking a football by himself after practice, not in the film room and such, makes you wonder? The excuse days are over it is time for the 5th year QB to perform at the NFL level or find a new home!

• 214hof - Jun 5, 2015 at 3:20 PM

I’m pretty sure it’s Rob that wants to be a “pocket passer”, not Gruden forcing him to do it… Did you forget about the beating Rob got in 2012 running read option?
      It’s not that Gruden isn’t utilizing Robs strengths, it Robert not wanting to run.
      Don’t crucify Gruden for not coddling his “star” QB. Robert hasn’t shown the ability to preform basic fundamentals (snap, drop back, footwork) . I’m sure Gruden would like to win now, and not have to hold Griffin’s hand for 3 years till he can take his training wheels off. We all now Gruden won’t last that long with a sub par record.

18. mr.moneylover - Jun 5, 2015 at 12:13 PM

Its important for that offense to get they timing down pack..if they dont they will struggle like last year….jay gruden hasnt said good things about none of the QBs…all three QBs threw a INT in OTAs now witch is good from a defense stand point but all they can do is learn from this

• mr.moneylover - Jun 5, 2015 at 12:22 PM

All INTS was different jeron johnson beat his man on a rout and tevin mitchel made a sideline INT and RG3 threw a easy INT to breeland in a red zone on a role out play when it wouldve been easy to just throw the ball away since nobody wasnt open

19. gurnblanstonreturns - Jun 5, 2015 at 12:37 PM

I’m just enjoying an offseason in which Scot McCloughan makes real football decisions like a grownup who knows what he’s doing. He is improving the roster in a measured, effective way. He picked up Griffin’s option so he could remove any front office drama regarding Griffin. He knows full well that he may not have his starting quarterback or his head coach at this point. He is building the roster and letting it play out on the field. If Griffin plays well, great. If he doesn’t, he’s out. As for Gruden, if McCloughan watches another round of quarterback roulette and media meltdowns, Gruden is out as of Black Monday. It’s a three-year plan, Skins fans. A solid one.

• ET - Jun 5, 2015 at 1:43 PM

It’s early yet, there are some good pieces in place, and most importantly, there’s a competent GM at the helm.

Takeaway: Don’t panic!

20. SkinsFanBill - Jun 5, 2015 at 1:26 PM

I think we need to get rid of RG if he can’t produce this season. You can tell a good qb from a bad one regardless of the coach. I’m honestly tired of redskin fans always saying we need a new coach, there are plenty of great coaches that didn’t come into the league winning every game. A rookie head coach is just like a rookie player outta collage, there’s gonna be a learning curve and some development. Not saying Gruden is the one but give the man a chance, we will never get anywhere firing coaches every two years. I believe RG was good his first year primarily because of the read option which was new to the NFL at that time. And I don’t think that we should tailor our offense to RG’s skill set, we need to tailor RG to our offense. It’s better to have 1 offensive plan So it doesn’t change regardless of qb.

21. haruhanami - Jun 5, 2015 at 2:03 PM

Its the OTAs! They haven’t even headed into training camp yet. So of course, Gruden doesnt have a lot of praise for RG3 because they’re not doing much in the OTAs to the point where Gruden can see major improvement from the QB.

22. adoniss-iii - Jun 5, 2015 at 2:17 PM

Well what do u expect from a guy who never accomplished much other than playing in the arena league … His hatred for Griffin has nothing to do with Rg3’s inability to learn his system.. its simply envy

• Skulb - Jun 5, 2015 at 7:08 PM

Hatred AND envy. Oh my that sounds serious.

23. Earl Carver - Jun 5, 2015 at 4:27 PM

I’m not convinced Gruden is a good coach or a head coach for that matter..

Can we bench him everytime he makes a mistake or abandons the run game?? ..

Maybe start Callahan at HC after his first mistake or loss?

Or perhaps criticize then share all his mistakes openly to the media??

24. sidepull - Jun 5, 2015 at 5:55 PM

I never wanted them to pick Gruden. They did it because he would “work ” with Rg3. I wanted them to hire the other coordinator Zimmer. I guess in the long run we will see which hire is a good hire. Gruden got his feet wet last year and by the looks of it he has eaten a bit of crow and made changes. He’s not the QB coach, he wants to pound the ball but again, will he or is it just more lip service? He got Callahan and got rid of Hazmat. Then he hires Berry and gets everybody pissed. Well Scot made sure to clarify that was Grudens hire and not his. There is going to be a lot of grow or go this year I am afraid. Some or all these Qb’s will move on and one of them is going to make it here in some capacity. Berry is going to either prove out or he is going to get roasted and Gruden as well for hiring him. The running game promise? We will see. And taking the O lineman instead of DL Williams well we are going to see about that too. Cup is half full. I am backing the whole decision making process until they prove different. HTTR.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jun 6, 2015 at 12:08 PM

Great stuff sidepull! I too feel Gruden should at best been hired as the OC. Zimmer would have been a preference of mine as well. As you stated, let’s allow it play out this season on Gruden. As a fan, I want him to succeed as a person I have serious doubts.

25. mrhart76 - Jun 5, 2015 at 6:10 PM

Scott will be hand picking his OWN coach in January 2016. Drop this sorry coach off back in Cincinnati. He will be an offensive coordinator next year at this time. I see a 6-10 season . Why would the players follow this man?? He’s not qualified for the job.

26. bangkokben - Jun 5, 2015 at 7:18 PM

So Gruden doesn’t go out of his way to give us fans some “false” sunshine and roses and suddenly it’s a flippin’ zombie apocalypse here. Wow.

Now, if Gruden does sell us some pretty picture about the Third and the team knows it’s false, how do they react? Does their respect for the coach drop? Gruden has been painfully honest in his assessment since he’s arrived. We can want it to be different but it won’t change unless it’s forced or this team starts winning. The bottom line is that it has got to be about the team and not just Griffin. So what if he’s still in training pants. Lets see what the rest of the team brings. If the running game lives up to potential, the defense play four quarters, and the special teams become solid, the quarterback will be fine.

27. lop - Jun 5, 2015 at 10:13 PM

Gruden is on the hot seat. But it’s quite obvious he doesn’t want to start rg3. I bet come preseason if rg3 struggles and kirk does well than kirk starts. I bet jon gruden told jay that kirk has found a way to play smarter blah blah blah .

We will have to hope jay knows what he is doing.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jun 6, 2015 at 11:56 AM

I don’t think it is obvious Gruden doesn’t want to start RG3. I do think it’s obvious he feels RG3 needs a lot more work.

28. timwillhidetimwillhide - Jun 5, 2015 at 11:48 PM

The New GM Drafted 3 Olinemen 1 at #5 overall. Obviously the GM didn’t think it was on RG3. He stated that they need to put talent around him and you don’t give up on someone with that much talent. I can’t believe after whatching how bad our Oline played ( 31st in Pass Blocking ) that people actually blame the QB.

• shermanp79 - Jun 6, 2015 at 11:48 AM

Because he holds the ball. The ball is meant to come out quick. If not RG3, then how come Cousins was sacked 9 times to RG3s 33 in the similar number of drop backs? I’m not saying the OL doesn’t have issues but those sack stats explain why RG3 gets blamed. Why people who played or cover Football for a living put blame on RG3.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jun 6, 2015 at 12:01 PM

RG3 is certainly much to blame for creating some of his own sacks. However, holding the ball “too long” may not be the issue as much as he needs to do a better job of buying time in the pocket. Certainly he could improve on his read progression in getting the ball out sooner but Big Ben has no issue holding the ball for long periods. It’s the ability to learn mobility in the pocket that RG3 may need the most.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Jun 6, 2015 at 1:08 PM

The difference is cousins wasn’t rushed as much and they ran the ball more with cousins. I guess he could have there it up for interceptions like Cousins did.

• captblood3000 - Jun 6, 2015 at 1:47 PM

That’s not the difference, Tim. I refer you to Chris Cooley. Griffin consistently failed to get the ball out on time. If he can’t learn to do that, he shouldn’t start.

29. hk2000 - Jun 6, 2015 at 2:21 AM

The way I see it, the Redskins have two options: Fire Gruden, or ban him from talking to the media- He should be spending every waking minute studying successful coaches, working on his offensive scheme and teaching his players his so called system, better yet give up play calling to the OC or to the OL coach, but above all STFU.

30. kenlinkins - Jun 6, 2015 at 6:22 AM

I Know two things for sure 1. If you say anything about RG3 this web site will light up like a Christmas tree 2. The new GM seems to have a Plan B for everything and that’s includes Head Coach and starting QB! IMO the new GM will allow this year to play out to be sure what he thinks is happening is in fact the root causes of the Redskins not winning. He has picked the low hanging fruit (defense BF , pass rush , O-Line and Special teams). Now he will watch the Head Coach, and QB position in 16 games before making his next major move. Rich: IYO was the “Settle” state a rookie mistake by the head coach or was he just stating what all us Redskins fans already know? (or both).

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jun 6, 2015 at 11:45 AM

That was a great comment about what will be a huge decisions for this GM if we have another failed season.

31. cowboyhater - Jun 6, 2015 at 8:53 AM

Blah, blah, blah……so we have no meat to the bones in terms of stories this year in OTA’s so now we are going to go to the press conferences and parse words from the HC?….and based on these comments on here it really worked!! Gruden has been around long enough to know the difference between a good and bad QB, so he will be very careful during OTA’s in choosing his words to talk about each QB. He wants competition…and will not just give this position outright before training camp starts. I think we all knew going into this year after they announced Griffin the #1 that it was a shame…and the extension was a shame. I like the fact that he will hold back any compliments until we start seeing them practice with pads and live hitting begins. We will see how RG can go through his progressions, how quickly he can get rid of the ball, and his ability to extend plays. Gruden can’t comment on those things this early in season. I like his honesty, and not putting too much credence in OTA’s.

32. shermanp79 - Jun 6, 2015 at 11:35 AM

WOW, that created a response. I have said enough for a couple years now. So I’ll only say it doesn’t sound good., If Gruden could, he would come out and say how much better RG3 looks and he didn’t.
    If he can’t speed his reads up and slow the game down in his head, he has little chance. He will fail like so many other great College QBs and Heisman winners. Gruden spoke of all 3 on purpose, not to start the RG3 saga now but he will have to deal with it soon. It seems it may have just begun.
    It may be Cousins who gives the team the best chance. With some help, he puts less pressure on himself. I believe all he needs is a true shot. He has only started a handful and played in a total of 9 games. All young QBs look bad at times, he has moved this team and there is some good play too.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jun 6, 2015 at 11:41 AM

I have some questions on your comment:

Which QB, Cousins or RG3, has logged more practice time as a Redskin?

Which QB, Cousins or RG3, played under a pro offense in college?

Now which QB, has Rich reported or indicated from his experienced has performed better in practice?

• gasngo14 - Jun 6, 2015 at 3:18 PM

Excuses … Ask yourself this which QB is paid to be the starter on this team and which QB cost this team the farm? He is preparing to play his 5th year in this league and still shows he lacks the basic fundamentals period!
        It’s time to perform bottom line!

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jun 6, 2015 at 9:06 PM

Seriously don’t respond to my comments. My comment are directed to knowledgeable fans and not trolling fans like yourself gasngo14 (aka RG3isaBust). I’ll have no issue ignoring your future comments which lack the FUNDAMENTAL knowledge of the game anyway. So do the same by ignoring my comments.

33. redskinsnameisheretostay - Jun 6, 2015 at 11:36 AM

Isn’t the coach supposed to be your toughest critic?

I get how most media (Not Rich) and fans over blow both praise and criticism. However, a coach should always critique the QB in order to maximize his potential. There is nothing I dislike more than exaggerated praise this time of the year. I get it that RG3 is not raising any eyebrows with his performance in OTAs. However, I think faint praise or tempered enthusiasm should be expected from any coach at this point on a young QB. There is no question that RG3 needs a lot of work hence he has a ways to go. As one fan stated here earlier, we shouldn’t expect an all-star out of RG3 but at the very least noticeable improvement particularly playing in the pocket. After all, RG3 only has one season under his belt with Gruden’s offense. A coach that I believe the jury is still out on as to his coaching capabilities.

34. dynam01 - Jun 7, 2015 at 10:26 AM

@ Robert Fanboiz: Get a good look this year cuz this is the last you’ll ever see him as a starter in this league. Jay is only saying what’s on his mind based on what he sees, an entitled, grossly overrated prima donna who lacks the basic tools to play QB in the NFL.

35. dynam01 - Jun 7, 2015 at 10:26 AM

Reblogged this on I Didn't Ask To Be a Blog.

36. veryoldschool - Jun 7, 2015 at 2:42 PM

How excited should Gruden be about a quarterback he is TOLD to start despite him knowing Griffin is unable to read defenses, call an audible, adjust protections, move within a pocket to help his blockers extend a play or go through a route tree quick enough to run a WCO? Griffin who is an albatross wrapped Gruden’s neck who threatens to setback Jay’s once promising coaching career.

Gruden knew Snyder expected him to fix Griffin when he was hired but poor Jay made the mistake of thinking Griffin was fixable so he took the job or perhaps he hoped he’d be allowed to use another QB if he couldn’t help Griffin. Instead Gruden is forced start a hapless bust who doesn’t even know enough to drop the right depth on play. Why should anyone expect Gruden to praise Griffin who fails to execute even the most basics of NFL quarterbacking task? Gruden has probably concluded Griffin just doesn’t process information fast enough to run his offense but he is forced to go through the motions of trying to get him ready.

• Stephfan - Jun 7, 2015 at 4:35 PM

Strong words from a hater, let’s see what you’ve got to say when the team starts to win. But riddle me this old school did cousins win any games? McCoy did even worse so regardless rg3 Is the best that we’ve got.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jun 7, 2015 at 5:06 PM

Where is the source that Gruden he being told to start RG3? As a coach he is charge of who starts on the field so that responsibility lies on him. Any grand assumption that Gruden is under the mercy of starting a player he doesn’t choose is well nothing but an assumption.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jun 7, 2015 at 5:18 PM

Actually after reading your whole statement it looks like a interesting fictional story. I guess this narrative is how you believe the whole situation is going to play out. However, Gruden was hired to develop players and win games. He still has a chance and deserves maybe at most two more seasons to prove these accomplishments. If they can’t win then it is he to blame. However, it looks like you have already expected him to fail and have planned his scapegoat as a defense.

• capope0222 - Jun 7, 2015 at 8:20 PM

Fantasy Football Draft: You get Gruden, I’ll take RG3. This team is looking up right now for one primary reason. Scot McCluen. Gruden was getting himself into all kinds of hot water with his gap in understanding of true leadership. McCluen shows you the difference when you have the type of understanding that is required to lead in this league.

Guden wants to be a leader but he is not qualified for this level. In fact, he is probably #32 in the league and that is because there are no more teams.

NO ONE CAN PROSPER WITH THE WORDS THAT HE USES TO SPEAK ABOUT HIS PLAYERS. NO OTHER COACH TALKS THE WAY HE DOES. He says things that reveal his lack of understanding of the game and the psychology of how to lead players and get the most out of them. He creates controversy with his words. He is inefficient. As an example, last year when they started training camp, he had new coaches training players and he makes a comment that he leave them to do what they do because they are professionals. Any great coach knows that you have to have a cohesive coaching plan and the head coach has to oversee every detail of any coach and in particular new coaches to ensure that they are on point and are going to deliver players that are ready and well disciplined. Once you have years of working in a system and you know how the under coaches think and operate, then and only then can you back off a bit. Thats why the defense and offense were so inconsistent.

RG3 did not need a NFL quarterback wannabe to fix anything. Gruden needs to understand that no previously successful quarterback is going to lie down and follow the plan of some unproven head coach just because he has been named the coach. If Gruden was a proven powerhouse NFL head coach with 6 successful championships and QB’s under his belt. Then and only then might he be able to convince a heisman trophy winner to change all the things that has worked for him because the position of QB HAS TO OPERATE OUT OF INSTINCT. YOU DO NOT HAVE TIME TO THINK ABOUT THINGS IN PLAY. You also cannot worry about being pulled.

I remember when Troy Aikman first came into the league. He and Jimmy Johnson stunk up the league. And because Jimmie believed in Troy eventually getting it, he never talked about Troy’s many sacks or sitting him down even though he was a rookie. What happened. Troy was able to develop confidence and learn the system and with the addition of the right players-a dynasty was born. Jay Gruden is no Jimmie Johnson. This is a team sport. It begins and ends with the HEAD COACH. If they win it is first due to the head coach, if they loose it is because of the head coach, first. It is not Griffin’s fault, not Colt’s fault, not Cousins fault. None of them run the training camp, or write and call the plays. They do not select who is going to start or anything else about the game. If Troy Aikman had to worry about a coach blaming everything on the QB and point out his PERCEIVED flaws after every game, then I have no doubt we would NEVER have seen the Dallas dynasty. The best thing Gruden can do is get out of his own dumb way. If you think you can run some little plays over and over and not think that the other coaches are going to expose your true weaknesses -the OLine for one, then you have another thing coming.

And by the way, I am a woman. But, I have studied leadership and this is no difference. The great leads, like Vince Limbardi had to learn to work with the QB and other players and treat them differently publicly and in front of the players they expect to lead. Gruden doesn’t have a clue. If Limbardi had to make that adjustment, then what makes you think Gruden can behave this way with the QB position.

So, for those of you who continue to defend Gruden in his behavior and blame the players just prove that you just don’t get it either. A QB cannot get better and take the chances he needs to if he has to continually look over his shoulder. Ben Rothlesburger is a good example. He was fortunate to get with smart coaches. He takes chances and plays his way, and uses his own footwork, and takes chances, and holds the ball and does what he needs to do. He is free to play his way as all true great athletes must do.

• skins1970 - Jun 9, 2015 at 4:23 PM