Need to Know: Strange timing on releases of two Redskins veterans

Jun 1, 2015, 5:04 AM EDT

Here is what you need to know on this Monday, June 1, 63 days before the Washington Redskins start training camp.

The week that was

I was on vacation last week and it looks like I missed a few things that took place during the first week of OTAs. Here are my takes on some of the major events.

—DeSean Jackson absent—He should have been present at OTAs, no question about it. Jackson has had, as noted below, 155 days since the Redskins last played a game. That’s plenty of time to take care of any personal business. Plus he has four-day weekends during OTAs and minicamp and another six weeks between offseason work and training camp to take vacation time. But if he shows up this week, which he is expected to do, and works hard, his absence will be forgotten well before training camp. Ryan Kerrigan indicated that his teammates were OK with Jackson missing three days of voluntary work so I have no idea why fans or media types should be bothered by it.

—Chris Chester cut—The only thing that was odd here was the timing. I expected Chester to be gone before the start of free agency back in March but the longer he was still there, the more I thought he had a chance to stick, if only as a backup at a reduced salary. But a day after he lined up with the first team in OTAs he was gone. Chester was an iron man (missed just a handful of snaps in four years as a starter), a class act and a much better player than fans gave him credit for being. The fact of the matter is that at age 32 with a salary of $4 million and a coaching staff favoring size and power, his time was up.

—Tracy Porter cut—Yes, injuries happen but Porter missing 11 games last year was entirely predictable based on a six-year career that has seen him play 16 games just once. This was a case of a free agent mistake made by Bruce Allen and corrected by Scot McCloughan. Again, the only thing about it that was not widely predicted about this was the timing. Perhaps they were waiting for news on DeAngelo Hall’s injury rehab before making the decision. When it was determined that Hall’s Achilles injury is very likely to be good to go by the time training camp starts Porter and his $2 million salary became expendable.

—Spencer Long moves up?—I have the question mark there because we’re all assuming that the second-year guard will move up into Chester’s spot but we haven’t had it confirmed yet. It appeared that Long was being given every opportunity to make a move up on the depth chart last year but he couldn’t push Chester out of the way. We don’t know if he did anything in particular to show that he would be a better option than Chester for 2015 or if they just decided it was time. It’s up to Long to prove that he deserves the trust of Gruden and company.

—It’s been 155 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be 104 days until they play the Dolphins at FedEx Field.

Days until: Redskins minicamp starts 15; Redskins training camp starts 59; Thursday night Redskins @ Giants 115

If you have any questions about what’s going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.

Follow Real Redskins on Instagram @RichTandler

1. Stephfan - Jun 1, 2015 at 5:38 AM

I don’t think long is a automatic starter, I think arie will push if he is ready…

2. Stephfan - Jun 1, 2015 at 5:41 AM

But we will see

3. colorofmyskinz - Jun 1, 2015 at 6:30 AM

We have more options at guard than Arie and Long. Don’t forget about Moses. He could make a great guard! I think we have Long, Arie, and Moses as an option for both guard positions and if I were luvaro I would be concerned. He needs to step up or he is dropping to second line.

• Stephfan - Jun 1, 2015 at 6:32 AM

Shawn might get one more try boy I don’t see Moses at guard not starting the season maybe if an injury happens

• Rich Tandler - Jun 1, 2015 at 6:39 AM

Very premature to say that Moses is an option at guard, at least in 2015. He has to get on the field and then learn a position he’s not particularly well suited to play physically. He might get a go there at some point but I’m not going to call him an option at guard unless and until he lines up there in pads in Richmond.

• abanig - Jun 2, 2015 at 9:25 AM

Don’t forget about LeRibeus either. I know it would shock everyone if he won one of the starting guard spots, but LeRibeus was know more as a mailing type guard coming out of college than a finesse player.

4. colorofmyskinz - Jun 1, 2015 at 6:33 AM

If Reed is not careful, he will end up like Porter. Reed out after “a little soreness”, and he is a TE in the NFL. Would like to see him toughen up to the liking of a Gronc. I think he had “a little knee soreness” all year throughout the Super Bowl. Reed I am calling you out.

• Rich Tandler - Jun 1, 2015 at 6:37 AM

If Reed misses regular season time with “knee soreness”, call me. Gronk has missed plenty of OTAs and training camp dealing with injuries.

• colorofmyskinz - Jun 1, 2015 at 6:52 AM

When Reed plays 16 games call me… When he was out with his concussion 2 years ago, Shannahan was all but beginning him to come back. He was cleared by doctors. It was up to him on how many additional games he sat. Not sold on him until I see 16 games. Talent is useless on IR.

• Stephfan - Jun 1, 2015 at 7:28 AM

Color you can’t sit here n say that reed needs to go? If that’s the case then so does Paulson who’s production has slipped. I’m hoping that reed stays heathy and Paul can step it up. A lot of you guys wanna draft a tight end when Paul is sitting there ready to start. When he came in he balled. But reed has good almost great talent. I wouldn’t get rid of him unless he starts missing press on games or at least the whole season. Why because you have Paul to back him up. On top of they reed is still on the rookie pay, he is cheap, why waste time getting someone else right now

• colorofmyskinz - Jun 1, 2015 at 7:47 AM

I’m not saying get rid of him I’m just saying he needs to be put on notice that he is desperately close to a Porter. And he has mad talent! That is where my frustration is. Again talent only helps if it’s on the field.

• Trey Gregory - Jun 1, 2015 at 7:57 AM

I understand what you’re saying. NFL players need to toughen up and there’s no room for a baby who doesn’t want to play because of a paper cut. However, concussions are no joke and I’m not going to blame a guy for not rolling the dice on brain function for the rest of his life all so he can play a couple games because Mike Shannohan thought he was ready.

OTAs are exactly the time to be cautious about injuries. No need to push it, the. Accidentally cause a much bigger injury that could have been avoided with caution. I agree that he needs to be tough, but he’s basically been plagued with hamstring injuries, which are also no joke and you can’t just toughen up and walk those off. I’ll bet nobody wants Jordan Reed to play all 16 games in 2015 more than Jordan Reed. Maybe me pushed through small injuries around this time the past couple years and is being cautious until his body gets in better football shape. It worries me too, but it’s still so early man.

• colorofmyskinz - Jun 1, 2015 at 7:00 AM

Gronc had a horrific knee injury one that would have been considered career ending. Torn MCL, ACL, and fractured bone. He was back the next year and went Super Bowl. The guy could barely walk and he was on the field producing. Reed is frail until I see 16.

• Stephfan - Jun 1, 2015 at 7:30 AM

Stop you can’t compare gronk to reed you can’t. Everyone’s body is different so the conversation ends there. Cooley had injuries? Davis had them, everyone has them it’s called football

• hcicron - Jun 1, 2015 at 11:04 AM

That’s just it. Gronk was playing for a Super Bowl and Reed was playing for a 4 win team. Why risk further injury for a losing team, makes no sense. What were your thoughts on Keenan when he couldn’t avoid injuries early in his career?

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jun 1, 2015 at 2:39 PM

Stephan, you need to stop! Fans can post their opinions any way they choose fit! Rich controls the content on comments here and not you. You don’t agree then provide contrasting response or move on. This dictating you try to push on other fans is ridiculous and outrageous.

• Stephfan - Jun 1, 2015 at 3:21 PM

Redskins please shut up I’m not dictating anything I gave my opinion and rich agreed with me on Moses so please let me know how I’m dictating, please do yourself a favor and read first

• abanig - Jun 2, 2015 at 9:37 AM

1. They’re totally different types players. Gronk is 3 inches taller and 25 pounds heavier than Reed.

2. You need to check out how many games Gronk has missed throughout the past 3 years.

Gronk has missed 17 games with a back injury – an injury he had in college. Then, he had the broken forearm, ankle problems and then with his knee injury.

Yes, Reed is injury prone. None of us like it, and as someone else said Reed hates it more than anyone else in the world including us nobodies who are blogging on real redskins.

Anyways, let’s realize that Gronk has missed a lot of time with injuries, and has been just as injury prone as Jordan Reed over the last 3 seasons.

Let’s also realize that comparing Reed to Gronk is really not fair for a lot of different reasons.

• Stephfan - Jun 2, 2015 at 9:39 AM

I agree thank u

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jun 2, 2015 at 1:18 PM

Stephan, I’ll end it with you this way. Your ability for discourse is high school level. You need to learn how to make comments like an adult. Telling others the conversations ends here, you can’t do this, and stop that. blah. Man, you are just annoying and don’t know how to carry a conversation. Look up the word dictate and read some of your comments. I read very well and apparently comprehend far better than you.

• abanig - Jun 2, 2015 at 1:34 PM

How exactly does this comment help?

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jun 2, 2015 at 2:06 PM

abanig, I have no problem with your prior comment about the TE situation and actually agree completely. if you willing to tolerate someone like Stephan who responds to like fans of the same team in demeaning and offensive ways then that is your prerogative. However, you taking it a step further and defending him leaves me with this question for you. Was his last comment to me helpful? Please!

• abanig - Jun 2, 2015 at 3:02 PM

No, he needs to stop also. I guess I just view it as, if you’re going to write an intelligent post about how you’re better but then put him down in the same post, how does that exactly make you any better?

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jun 2, 2015 at 3:16 PM

My comment was never intended to show me as better but to point out his trite use of command words or phrases like stop, shut up, you can’t say this, or end of discussion, etc. This has been going on for awhile. I tried to have a cordial discussion with the guy on some other article but he attacked me in the same manner. Maybe, I could have been more diplomatic with my original response. However, some folks just won’t gravitate to reason and diplomacy. Instead a direct and frank response can go a long way eventually in taming the manner in which he responds. I really only made the comment because his coarseness towards other fans may deter them from making comments completely.

• Stephfan - Jun 2, 2015 at 4:02 PM

Excuse me but the few things I did say was true? You can’t compare gronk to reed. It would be foolish to put make Shawn a back when there is no one ready to take his job. And it’s foolish to think or pencil in long as automatic starter. I know what the word dictate means I was an English major in high school but say you need to shut up I’d true. Everyone comments on here and says far worse things than I do. Are you mad because some people agreed with me? Second I told you to shut up or sit down because I’m not about to continue to argue with someone over nonsense. If your offened I don’t really care. I say nice things to people all the time. But don’t sit here and say things making it seem like I’m the bag guy because I’ve seen your comments from other posts and you bash harder than I do. The only thing I said was long isn’t an automatic starter. You didn’t have to comment but you did. So I’m the bad guy because I have you my opinion on what I think the skins should or could do?? Please just do me a favor and not respond to me ice said that to you before! Sorry to rich for this but I’m not about to sit here and be called a bad guy

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jun 2, 2015 at 5:22 PM

There you go with that uncultivated discourse. First it’s not foolish to make Laveau a backup this year because he simply did not performed well last season. If he continues to struggle then it would be easy to question one’s logic that accepts mediocrity or worst from a overpaid veteran. It’s also fair to claim that most team’s wouldn’t have him starting anywhere on the line. Also, Long was a logical choice as starter since Chester was struggling mightily. If you are going to have a player struggle then you might as well put in a talented young player who has a better chance of a future.

Look I won’t comment to your mundane responses anymore. Honestly, you don’t really know much about the Redskins as a team or football in general. You think you do but you are just an antagonist with and a low class fan.

• Stephfan - Jun 2, 2015 at 5:35 PM

Long did bot play up to par to just be handed the starting job even rich agreed on that! Second Shawn was better at power blocking with the Browns from what I read look it up. You can sit here and say I’m being mean but I’m just stating my opinion if you don’t like it that’s your problem. I know plenty about football, my whole family are skins fans thank you. But logic has shown that you don’t give up on a player after one year but you can be the one to go ahead. I kept saying its shawn’s job to lose simple as that

• gasngo14 - Jun 2, 2015 at 7:20 PM

redskinsnameisheretostay AKA jdhawk ….lmao you still running around playing BULLY you are one of the biggest reasons has no blog …Please don’t start your crap over here! Yes i know who you are!

5. troylok - Jun 1, 2015 at 6:36 AM

With Chester gone I now wonder about Lichtensteiger. He’s not a power player. If the Redskins felt they could move another, bigger player into that spot, maybe they would start shopping Lichtensteiger. You saw how quickly Atlanta scooped up Chester, trying to re-tool their offensive line to Shanahan’s zone blocking, one-cut system. What would they give up for Lichtensteiger?

• Papab - Jun 1, 2015 at 6:52 AM

Good point

• bk70 - Jun 1, 2015 at 6:59 AM

Could Lichtensteiger become trade bait? Tyler Larsen was brought in for some reason by the GM. He has about 20 pounds on Kory. Is he ready for a starting center role? Austin Reiter is in the background and expected to take some grooming time. The possibilities are endless, but I don’ t see anyway around keeping 10 OL on the 53 man roster. That means reduce the number of QB’s to only 2 and only 4 RB’s.

• captblood3000 - Jun 1, 2015 at 12:17 PM

I think Rich is right on this; Lichtensteiger is a lock to make the final 53, and probably to start, as well. We have commenters on this blog who want 4 new starters on the offensive line but I don’t think Corey will be upgraded this year. It will be interesting to see who the number 2s will be on the offensive line depth chart.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jun 1, 2015 at 2:43 PM

I think Lich is a quality center who jumps off the ball faster than most lineman. I’m not sure we need a large body in that position even under a new power blocking scheme.

• bangkokben - Jun 1, 2015 at 9:51 AM

The market is thin. There would be one team that MIGHT be interested in ‘the Steige’ and you’re right it is Atlanta. But so what? What we know of the Shanasystem is that it values quick footed interior linemen that can get to the 2nd level in the outside zone blocking run game. Hence we played with three centers at a time (Lichtensteiger, Montgomery, Chester). A collection of discarded misfit toys. So what’s the trade value? None.

Kory was available in 2010 – less than two years after being drafted in the 4th round by Denver – and we picked him up. Polumbus and Chester picked up by Atlanta. LeRibues might end up in Atlanta at some point this year. The point is that the Shanahans can use a specific type of linemen (quick-footed, nasty SOBs that will roll into your legs) that the rest of the league can’t use – not because they are hard to find – but because they are ineffective in virtually every other system.

6. MC12 - Jun 1, 2015 at 7:26 AM

Steiger will be here at least till the end of TC. You don’t give up a good solid center for two players who have never started a game and were not high draft picks. Glad to see Chester picked up so quick. He played well here in the zone scheme but this new scheme was not a fit. Seemed like a good guy and a solid man in the community and locker room.

• ET - Jun 1, 2015 at 10:22 AM

Yeah, I have a hard time believing Licht would be cut in favor of one of two unknowns. His play is decent, better at center than guard. That said, I think Kory may be in trouble later in the season, and definitely in 2016. Larsen or Reiter could be up to speed by then.

• Skulb - Jun 1, 2015 at 12:42 PM

Also he was never injured.

• bangkokben - Jun 1, 2015 at 3:14 PM

He missed most of 2011 when the Eagles deliberately went after his leg – if you believe Larry Michael about the deliberate part..

7. kenlinkins - Jun 1, 2015 at 9:08 AM

Rich: Is there a movement here or is the new GM just going case by case!

8. mr.moneylover - Jun 1, 2015 at 9:49 AM

I think scot m. and bill sat down and figure that they have better depth at the O-line….spencer long is not gonna be given the starting spot…training camp will likely tell who has the lead on bein the starter week 1….chris chester and tyler polumbus sign with the falcons on a one year deal all I gotta say is thanks falcons for putting up our trash….lol….dont know why ppl made a big deal about seeing nacho lineup next to dashon goldson they couldve just did it for that day and who said jeron johnson will play all 16 games if he goes down you want the next guy to step in with confidence and you want the other guys feel confident…i think they plan on rotating 3 players anyway…plus jeron johnson clearly said he dont wanna be given the job he wants to earn it…training camp will provide whose in the starting lineup and whose not

• ET - Jun 1, 2015 at 10:51 AM

The safety situation bears watching, but if Ihenacho or others challenge for starting roles, that’s better for the whole unit. It would be great to finally have some depth there!

• mr.moneylover - Jun 1, 2015 at 2:47 PM

Yeah, jay gruden said he notice the safety postion is now a strong postion…akeem davis, phillip thomas and Trenton Robinson will battle for the 4 spot at the safety postion…but more importantly they challenge each other and that will make them play better as a unit

9. wildbill1952 - Jun 1, 2015 at 11:48 AM

Chester was and is a class guy. I’m glad Atlanta picked him up. But the game where an aging Tuck ran through him for 4 sacks should have been large letter, crayon colored, visible-even-to-Gruden handwriting on the wall. That wasn’t a QB holding on to the ball too long for the OL apologists. That was a guard being overwhelmed at his position by an opposing DL. Long is definitely younger, but he should not have been a 3rd round pick and the Skins reached for him. He was projected to go in the 5th, he was recovering from a knee injury and, on the board when he was selected, was Gabe Jackson, the rookie who became a starting guard for Oakland. I’m still trying to figure that one out.

• Skulb - Jun 1, 2015 at 12:45 PM

I`ll just refer you to the NFL stats then. Griffin was the fourth slowest passer in the league last year and the third slowest the year before that. On average he statistically hold onto the ball for about half a second longer than the average NFL pocket collapse time. My facts beat our emotionally based beliefs.

• abanig - Jun 2, 2015 at 9:42 AM

Tru story. There’s a reason why Griffin was sacked 33 times and our other two qbs were sacked less and they had the same offensive line.

10. hk2000 - Jun 1, 2015 at 1:46 PM

QBs don’t play in a vacuum. Until all 32 QB’s play on the same team, under the same scheme, behind the same line, against the same defense, on the same field, refereed by the same crew and under the same coaches, any stat is just that: Meaningless, subjective and pointless.

• hk2000 - Jun 1, 2015 at 1:48 PM

This was supposed to be a reply to Skulb above. Sorry.

• Trey Gregory - Jun 1, 2015 at 2:24 PM

Man, I understand what you’re saying, and there is some truth to that. But not completely. Some stats do matter. It’s just a fact that if a QB holds on to the ball for more than 2.5 seconds, his chances of success go way down. I don’t know the specific number off the top of my head, but it’s a telling stat. Any QB on any team, if they hold on to the ball too long, their numbers go down. Even the greats who play on great teams.

There probably isn’t a bigger RG3 fan out there than me. I love the guy and I want him to have success. However, he held on to the ball way too long last year and that was the cause of A LOT of his problems. Of course better Oline play would have helped, but he could have done more to help himself too.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Jun 1, 2015 at 2:53 PM

The problem with the Time to Throw stat is while the QB is scrambling under pressure its counted as Time to Throw. A better way to see if he is holding on to the ball too long is look at the Time Till Pressure. If the Time Till Pressure time is high and the QB is taking sacks then its on the QB. But if the Time Till Pressure time is low then its on the Oline

• ET - Jun 1, 2015 at 3:40 PM

Good point.

• Trey Gregory - Jun 1, 2015 at 8:01 PM

I’ll take that man. That’s fine. I would actually love to see those numbers. If you know where I can find them, hook me up.

But the fact of the matter is that a defense can only move so fast, they don’t get there in 0 seconds. I’ve seen QBs get it done with bad lines. I think it was the 2012 Saints, maybe 2013, awful line. But I remember some games where it seemed like Drew was getting that ball out in 1 second. He may have been on his way to the ground when he did it, but he did it. If you know you have a horrible line, reset your internal clock closer to one second.

On the flip side of that, just today I was watching some replays of the Falcons where Matt Ryan didn’t even have a second to get the ball out. No QB in NFL history would have been able to get the ball out on some of those plays. So I get your point. But I remember watching RG3 play last year and counting in my head, then dropping my head because the line gave him enough time and he just held it. That’s not scientific or anything, but I know it happened.

Also, he needs to learn to step into the pocket. He would have had more time on some plays had he not tried to break the pocket and scramble so much. These linemen set a pocket and it doesn’t work if the QB doesn’t step into it when the pressure starts coming off the edge.

That’s why the elite QBs get it done year in and year out (and some of them with no mobility). They don’t all have elite lines. But they do all get that ball out quick and they know how to stay in and then move in the pocket.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Jun 1, 2015 at 9:15 PM

When the QB takes a 3 step Drop and the Oline gets pushed back the same amount of steps thats not on the OB.You say get the ball out quicker. To who? If its a 5 or 7 step drop those routs take time to develop.when its a 3 step drop the Olinemen are in his lap. When he was given time he produced. Vikings game. Ive seen the Oline collapse more times than not.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Jun 1, 2015 at 9:19 PM

Pro football focus has the Time Till Pressure and Time to Throw stats but you have to be a premium member. Imnot and am not interested in paying for the stats. Football outsiders has our Oline ranked 31st in pass blocking

• brucefan1 - Jun 1, 2015 at 10:20 PM

THERE’S my man Tim!

Just knew you were gonna get in on THIS conversation! ;^}

• bangkokben - Jun 1, 2015 at 10:26 PM

football outsiders do go statistical work

Your eight o’clock post – top shelf!

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Jun 1, 2015 at 11:05 PM

Trey like the origin of this thread stats it also depends on the playcalls. Brees and Ryan could have bin getting rid of the ball on slants and bubble screens. Gruden was calling allot of vertical stuff wich takes time which our Oline simply does not give.

• Albert - Jun 1, 2015 at 4:39 PM

• brucefan1 - Jun 1, 2015 at 10:17 PM

Love yer take on the “value” of all theses new analyitics that are being pawned off on us theses days, hk200!

There are so many variables that go into the relative success or failure of a play, a player, a team, or a season that all these “statistics” can’t begin to account for.

Until the guys who insist on trying to reduce EVERYTHING down a number prove they’ve found a way to factor in all these conditions, I’m gonna choose to depend on the good old fashioned eye test to make most of my football judgements.

Old fashioned, I guess!

• bangkokben - Jun 1, 2015 at 10:18 PM

Does the same logic apply to coaching?

• hk2000 - Jun 1, 2015 at 11:54 PM

Absolutely!!! But I don’t proclaim to have statistical evidence that this coach is inept, I just use my judgement- the eye test as Bruce said above. I just don’t have any confidence in our HC, and I will never forgive him for the way he stood at the podium and gave reporters the break down that he was supposed to be giving his QB in private instead. You know, in the film room while teaching him. Not only that, I don’t think he will change, he just doesn’t have a buffer between his brain and his tong, not to mention his transparency and predictability during the game.

• brucefan1 - Jun 1, 2015 at 10:22 PM

Behind the times, I guess!

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Jun 1, 2015 at 11:09 PM

Not too many variables on the Time Till Pressure stat. That stat is directly a reflection of the Oline’s ability to Pass Block.

• Rich Tandler - Jun 2, 2015 at 12:22 PM

Tim, had some comments from you with links in them go into the span folder, I just checked it out after vacation. No reason for this to happen, as long as a post has only one link in it it should go through. I apologize, I’ll keep a closer eye on that going forward and if it persists I’ll let the tech guys know.

11. skip36 - Jun 1, 2015 at 2:48 PM

The only thing strange about their release is that it should have been last year, to give a couple of rookies a chance to improve under coach Gruden system, because the Redskins were not going out of the bottom of the NFC East, but that didn’t happen but now we McLoven in charge so were biting the bullet now, hopefully we will alright.

12. bowlregard - Jun 1, 2015 at 5:36 PM

Porter was one of six players to miss the first day of OTAs. That’s what I read. And that seems like a lot. The timing of Porter’s release may have had something to do with that. They may have wanted to make an example out of someone, but can’t come out and say it.

13. Caveman Cooking - Jun 1, 2015 at 6:30 PM

Rich, in regards to DS missing OTA’s, am I misreading your post or did you contradict yourself by saying, “He should have been present at OTAs, no question about it.” followed by, “… I have no idea why fans or media types should be bothered by it.”?

• Trey Gregory - Jun 1, 2015 at 7:51 PM

I think he meant that while Desean should have been there, if the other players don’t care, then the media shouldn’t.

Basically, philosophically every player should be there, if nothing else to show they care about their teammates. Also from a leadership standpoint, he should have been there. But ultimately Desean will be just fine and perform like Desean regardless of if he misses a week of OTAs. And if the actual players on the actual team don’t care about it, then media types can get off their pedestals and get over it.

• hk2000 - Jun 1, 2015 at 11:21 PM

Media guys don’t get over this stuff, they live for it, especially the guys on ESPN980. If they can’t find something, they’ll make it up- How? Everything can have more than one meaning or can be looked at in opposite ways, Our media takes the side that creates controversy because they really don’t care about the team- some even root for rival teams and would like nothing more than to see the Redskins fail.

14. abanig - Jun 2, 2015 at 9:22 AM

Perhaps they wanted to wait till June to cut each of them for salary cap reasons. Also, they probably wanted to get a look at Hall and young guys they had on the roster before making the decision to cut them.

I’m sure once they saw Kouandijo, Leribeus and Long come to camp in good shape and look like they’ll be able to handle the guard spot opposite Lauvao that they finally decided it was time to let Chester go.

Same with Hall looking ok during OTAs and Amerson looking better and talking about improving his study habits.

That probably sealed the deal for Chester & Porter. Archives