May 27, 2015, 6:01 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Wednesday, May 27, 64 days before the Redskins start training camp.
Three and out
Notes from Jay Gruden’s press conference after Monday’s OTA session:
1. Gruden is happy the the progress of DeAngelo Hall and it appears that the veteran cornerback will be ready for the start of training camp in late July. That would be nine months after tearing his Achilles for a second time. “Physically he’s got to get himself ready to go after that injury and it’s going to take some time but he has shown major, major improvements already and we’re very pleased with where he is right now with the thought of him being ready for training camp is exciting to all of us,” said Gruden.
2. Did Gruden commit to carrying three quarterbacks on the roster? Gruden was asked about how Colt McCoy and Kirk Cousins stack up behind Robert Griffin III. “Right now we don’t have a depth chart for the second and third teams,” he said. “We’re going to let them split the reps up and go from there and then make a decision come game day.” If the decision is going to be made on game day that means McCoy and Cousins are going to be on the 53. That’s no real surprise but interesting to see what the current thinking on the shape of the roster is.
3. It seems that Morgan Moses, who suffered a Lisfranc injury late last season, is making progress back from his injury. “He’s doing all the individual drills and he looks great,” said Gruden. “He’s worked hard in the weight room. You can see his body changing a little bit. So he’s got the strength, I think, he’s there and he’s going to continue to get stronger.” When the injury happened in late December it was not a given that he would be on the field at all at this point in time.
Out: Gruden caught himself taking a couple of shots at the way the defense was under former coordinator Jim Haslett. He quickly corrected himself in both instances. “We were awful at getting turnovers last year,” he said when asked about takeaways. “It’s no coach’s fault or anything like that, we just have got to do a better job of preaching getting the ball back.” Then on the subject of how aggressively the defensive line will play: We want to let our defensive line go and let them get up the field – [Jason] Hatcher, you know – get the handcuffs off of them a little bit, let them get up the field. Not that they had them [handcuffs] on last year, but the frame of mind is to be a more aggressive-style defense and let them play.
—It’s been 150 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be 109 days until they play the Dolphins at FedEx Field.
—Days until: Redskins minicamp starts 20; Redskins training camp starts 64; Thursday night Redskins @ Giants 120
If you have any questions about what’s going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins' Josh Norman hopes to play vs. AJ Green, Bengals on Sunday
- Redskins' Jay Gruden: Matt Jones out for Sunday's game vs. Bengals
- Jordan Reed, Josh Norman participate in select parts of Redskins Friday practice
- Did the Redskins err in trying to make this a "regular" week?
- With Matt Jones' status in doubt, Redskins sign Mack Brown to roster
- WATCH: Jay Gruden, Kirk Cousins and the Redskins arrive at Heathrow Airport
- Facebook Live: Redskins arrive in London
- Need to Know: Six Redskins under pressure against the Bengals
- A tribute to a fallen hero: CSNMA's top ten Vines of all time
- No promise on playing, but Jordan Reed, Josh Norman traveling to London with Redskins