May 26, 2015, 6:27 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Tuesday, May 26, the day the Redskins start OTAs.
OTAs get underway today at Redskins Park. A few days ago we looked at some offensive players who will be under the microscope at Redskins Park over the next few weeks. Here are five defensive players who will have a lot at stake during this phase of the offseason.
—NT Terrance Knighton—He’s here on a one-year contract so he has to prove himself quickly. The organization is looking for players with solid work ethics and Knight needs to demonstrate that from the very start.
—DL Chris Baker—When the team signs three free agents at your position it has to get your attention. His pass rush wasn’t that bad last year even though he recorded just one sack; if he was just a bit quicker he could have had maybe half a dozen more. He’ll need to compete against Stephen Paea and Knighton in front of him on the depth chart and stave off Ricky Jean Francois behind him.
—CB David Amerson—A year ago he was lining up with the first team and was perhaps a rising star. After a season marred by missed assignments and a one-game suspension after missing a practice his role is unclear. He needs to get off to a good start to make a good impression on his two new coaches, defensive coordinator Joe Barry and secondary coach Perry Fewell.
—ILB Perry Riley—Although he has been the unquestioned starter since midway through the 2011 season, Riley has to be looking over his shoulder. Will Compton played well in a couple of games when Riley was injured last year and the organization is very high on fifth-round draft pick Martrell Spaight. If Riley falters, one of them could step in.
—S Phillip Thomas—After a year on the injured list and one split between the practice squad and the 53-man roster, Thomas is approaching make or break status. There is probably only one job for him and Duke Ihenacho as Jeron Johnson’s backup at strong safety and the team’s 2013 fourth-round pick will be in a battle.
—It’s been 149 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be 110 days until they play the Dolphins at FedEx Field.
—Days until: Redskins minicamp starts 21; Redskins training camp starts 65; Thursday night Redskins @ Giants 121
If you have any questions about what’s going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Quinton Dunbar did something Redskins haven't done since before Facebook existed
- Odell Beckham gets yards, but Josh Norman's Redskins get the win
- Redskins survive behind makeshift offensive line
- Redskins win, but await status of multiple injured players
- Five things we learned from the Redskins win over the Giants
- Report: Redskins' DeAngelo Hall was told he'd torn ACL, MRI scheduled
- Redskins get first win, capitalize on turnovers to edge Giants 29-27
- Odell Beckham Jr. fights kicking net, loses
- Injuries to Lauvao, Lichtensteiger force strange shift on Redskins offensive line
- DeAngelo Hall out after being helped off the field with knee injury