May 24, 2015, 6:08 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, May 24, two days before the Washington Redskins start OTAs.
(I’m out on vacation this week. I’ll have some new posts here when OTAs get underway but I’ll also be bringing back some of the more popular and talked about posts from the past. Enjoy the “best of” posts and if you’re in Corolla, NC give me a shout!)
Here are Alfred Morris’ six best career games in terms of yards gained rushing.
1. Week 17, 2012 vs. Cowboys—If Morris retired tomorrow he’d have a permanent place in the hearts of Redskins fans for this game alone. With Robert Griffin III slowed by a knee injury, Morris took the team on his back, rushing for 200 yards and three touchdowns as the Redskins won to take the NFC East.
2. Week 10, 2013 @ Vikings—This is one of two losses on this list. Morris rushed for 139 yards and the Redskins built a 27-14 third-quarter lead. They couldn’t hold on and lost 34-27.
3. Week 14, 2012 vs. Ravens—This game is remembered mostly for the final drive, when Kirk Cousins took over for Griffin and passed for the TD to put the game into over time, and the extra period when Richard Crawford’s put return set up the winning field goal. But in the first 58 minutes of the game, Morris helped keep them in it by rushing for 129 yards and a touchdown.
4. Week 12, 2014 @ 49ers–This was another game that the Redskins lost despite a solid performance by Morris. He picked up 125 on the ground and Washington led on the road 13-10 midway through the fourth quarter. The Niners scored a late touchdown to claim the win.
5. Week 13, 2012 vs. Giants—A week before the Ravens game the Redskins played a Monday night game against the Giants and Morris rushed for 124 yards. The most important yards came in the fourth quarter. He wasn’t spectacular but his 20 yards on seven carries after the Redskins took a one-point lead early in the period ran clock and moved the chains.
6. Week 9, 2013 vs. Chargers—Darrel Young was the definitive touchdown vulture in this game, scoring on runs of 1, 1, and 4 yards after Morris’ 121 yards rushing helped the team get close.
Bonus stat: I came across this while looking up the numbers here—In 18 career games vs. the NFC East, Morris has 1,507 yards rushing. That’s a 16-game pace of just shy of 1,340 yards.
—It’s been 147 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be 112 days until they play the Dolphins at FedEx Field.
—Days until: Redskins minicamp starts 23; Redskins training camp starts 67; Thursday night Redskins @ Giants 123
Follow Us On Twitter
- Initial Trent Williams injury news is 'good,' per CSN source
- What should the Redskins do at running back?
- Effective in Detroit but lacking big plays, Kirk Cousins says 'I go where my reads take me'
- Did DeSean Jackson take a shot at Redskins' offense on Instagram?
- Redskins' loss leaves them in a muddled situation
- Need to Know: Redskins vs. Lions by the numbers—Two firsts for Rob Kelley
- After quiet day in Detroit, Redskins Pierre Garçon says 'we always try to go deep'
- Vernon Davis tells 60 minutes about investment that burned dozens of NFL players
- Redskins will watch injuries to key players on both sides of the ball
- New #RedskinsTalk Podcast - After near storybook ending, heartbreak in Detroit