May 4, 2015, 5:39 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Monday, May 4, 43 days before the Washington Redskins hold their mandatory minicamp.
NFL rosters are a zero sum game; when one player wins a job, another loses his. Here are five Redskins who could get pushed out by players they just drafted.
S Phillip Thomas—He was on top of the depth chart at strong safety for a while but then they signed Jeron Johnson as the presumed starter and Duke Ihenacho as competition. Now comes sixth-round pick Kyshoen Jarrett, who may have an edge due to special teams play.
ILB Will Compton—After going from being an undrafted free agent in 2013 to the practice squad that year to making the 53-man roster in 2014, Compton will have another battle on his hands. Martrell Spaight was a tackling machine at Arkansas and he’ll push Compton hard for a backup spot. There doesn’t appear to be room for both of them.
G Josh LeRibeus—The current coaching staff doesn’t seem to have much faith in LeRibeus, who is entering the final year of his rookie contract. It’s hard to see him holding on to his roster spot if fourth round pick Arie Kouandjio, who is two inches taller and more of the power blocker the team is now looking for, shows much of anything.
RB Silas Redd—Many thought that the Redskins would draft a third-down back, putting Chris Thompson’s job in jeopardy. But Matt Jones is a power back who also might get carries when Alfred Morris needs a rest. Redd was in line for the relief back role so if they only keep three running backs Redd could be on the bubble.
WR Andre Roberts—Jamison Crowder taking Roberts’ roster spot is something of a long shot but I wouldn’t rule it out if Crowder can pick up the slot receiver job in a hurry. Cutting Roberts post-June 1 would cost $1 million in dead money but save $2.75 million against the cap. There would be a leftover dead cap charge of $2 million next year. Jamison’s presence if probably more of a threat to Roberts’ job security in 2016.
—It’s been 126 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be 133 days until they play another one.
—Days until: Redskins minicamp starts 44; Redskins training camp starts 88; Redskins @ Giants 144
If you have any questions about what’s going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Gruden presser wrapup: Even he's not sure what a catch is
- Why all options are on the table for Redskins' offensive line
- With injuries at cornerback, Fuller is the next man up for the Redskins
- Will DeAngelo Hall return to the Redskins in 2017?
- A lucky win for the Redskins? Or were Giants lucky to be in it?
- Need to Know: Redskins 29, Giants 27 by the numbers
- MRI reveals Redskins' DeAngelo Hall has completely torn ACL
- Su'a Cravens channels Chappelle Show in perfect postgame tweet after Redskins win
- Jamison Crowder drops Giants special-teamer with obscene juke
- Quinton Dunbar did something Redskins haven't done since before Facebook existed