May 1, 2015, 6:44 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, May 1, 46 days before the Redskins hold their mandatory minicamp.
The Redskins have made their top pick. offensive lineman Brandon Scherff. Here are five players they could take a close look at in Rounds 2 and 3 tonight:
DB Eric Rowe—At 6-1, Rowe is a good candidate to be converted to safety; that’s where he started for three years at Utah before moving to cornerback last year. He has solid coverage skills and is physical.
RB T. J. Yeldon—They invested their top pick in a lineman to bolster the running game so perhaps they look for a running back who can add some pop to the running game. Yeldon isn’t a burner but he’s quick and can make tacklers miss.
QB Garrett Grayson—Friday may be a day too early for the Redskins to go after a quarterback but if Jay Gruden wants a pocket passer who can be ready to see action in 2016 they might need to get Grayson. He’s not the most talented QB left on the board but he could be the most NFL ready.
Edge Eli Harold–With Randy Gregory likely to be off of Scot McCloughan’s board due to some failed drug tests, Harold is their best available edge rusher. At 247 they might want him to add a little bulk but he can set the edge on the run pretty well.
S Jaquiski Tartt—The level of competition at Samford makes him tough to judge. But he’s clearly a tough, smart, physical player who is capable of developing into a starting safety within a season or two.
—It’s been 124 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be 135 days until they play another one.
—Days until: Redskins minicamp starts 46; Redskins training camp starts 90; Redskins @ Giants 146
If you have any questions about what’s going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins vs Lions Preview: 5 things to know as Washington goes to the Motor City
- NFL reportedly fines Redskins tight end Vernon Davis for jump shot celebration
- Doctson could return from IR in Week 15
- Need to Know: Five Redskins who are under pressure against the Lions
- Redskins injury report: Cravens good to go
- Redskins place first-round rookie WR Josh Doctson on injured reserve
- Redskins Jay Gruden makes it official: Jordan Reed out against Detroit
- Andre Roberts has actually been productive for the Lions this season
- Barry: Fuller very 'football mature', credits Virginia Tech
- WWE wrestler does Josh Norman's bow & arrow celebration in the ring