Apr 30, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, April 30, the day the Washington Redskins go on the clock at the NFL draft.
It’s finally that day. Here are five Redskins NFL draft predictions:
1. The Redskins will take a running back earlier than most think—I don’t think they will go with one as early as their own second-round pick but if they get a later second in a trade you could see on go there. I’m not sure if a third-rounder would qualify as a surprise but I think they get T.J. Yeldon or Jay Ajayi or another back by the end of the third round.
2. The Redskins won’t take Vic Beasley in the top 10—I wrote about this yesterday and the more I think of it and re-read what Scot McCloughan said the more I’m convinced that he won’t see value in him until later in the first round. He will not be the edge rusher backup plan at No. 5 if Dante Fowler is off the board. To answer something I know will come up in comments and tweets, yes, it’s true that he was more productive in college than Fowler was in terms of sacks and tackles for a loss. But if all you had to do to figure out who to draft was count sacks you wouldn’t need to pay a GM all that money, would you?
3. The Redskins will draft a quarterback sooner than most think—I’m under the impression that most think that Washington takes a QB it will be in the seventh round, maybe the sixth. But I see a strong chance that they will take one earlier, maybe as early as the fourth. They have two quarterbacks who are unsigned for 2016 and the option deal for Robert Griffin III offers the team little in the way of assurance that he’ll be back. Getting someone who could at least be ready to be a solid backup in 2016 is the smart thing to do. Round seven QB’s are usually multi-year projects to get to that point.
4. The Redskins will get a 2015 starter on the offensive line, probably at right tackle—I’m not sure if it’s going to be Week 1 starter that they get in the middle of the first after a trade back or in the second or if it will be a third rounder who works his way into the lineup by midseason. It’s a pretty deep class at tackle so they should be able to get someone who can get up to speed fairly quickly.
5. The Redskins’ first draft pick will be Dante Fowler—I’m about 60 percent confident that the guy I’ve been saying would be the Redskins first pick since before the combine will end up accepting the Redskins jersey with No. 1 on it at about 9 p.m. tonight. The other of the rest, I’ll say there’s about a 30 percent chance of a trade with the other 10 percent on the field, particularly Amari Cooper and Leonard Williams.
What are your predictions? Hit us up in the comments!
—It’s been 123 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be 136 days until they play another one.
—Days until: Redskins minicamp starts 47; Redskins training camp starts 91; Redskins @ Giants 147
If you have any questions about what’s going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Facebook Live pres. by Paisano's: Previewing London with Ryan Kerrigan
- Redskins vs. Bengals: London game time, TV channel, how to watch
- NFC East: Admitted domestic abuser Josh Brown released by Giants
- Despite mistakes, Redskins' Gruden has faith in WR Grant
- NFC East Update: Redskins loss in Detroit might prove costly as Eagles beat Vikings
- Jay Gruden understands Redskins D-line complaints: They don't get paid to backpedal
- Bigger workloads for Redskins' Thompson, Kelley easier said than done
- Need to Know: Last words on Redskins vs. Lions—It just wasn't Washington's day
- Stephen A. Smith mocks Redskins again after loss to Lions
- Redskins injury report: Team will monitor Williams, Scherff