Need to Know: Five Redskins draft predictions including when they’ll take a running back

Apr 30, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT

TJ-Yeldon-running

Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, April 30, the day the Washington Redskins go on the clock at the NFL draft.

Nickel coverage

It’s finally that day. Here are five Redskins NFL draft predictions:

1. The Redskins will take a running back earlier than most think—I don’t think they will go with one as early as their own second-round pick but if they get a later second in a trade you could see on go there. I’m not sure if a third-rounder would qualify as a surprise but I think they get T.J. Yeldon or Jay Ajayi or another back by the end of the third round.

2. The Redskins won’t take Vic Beasley in the top 10I wrote about this yesterday and the more I think of it and re-read what Scot McCloughan said the more I’m convinced that he won’t see value in him until later in the first round. He will not be the edge rusher backup plan at No. 5 if Dante Fowler is off the board. To answer something I know will come up in comments and tweets, yes, it’s true that he was more productive in college than Fowler was in terms of sacks and tackles for a loss. But if all you had to do to figure out who to draft was count sacks you wouldn’t need to pay a GM all that money, would you?

3. The Redskins will draft a quarterback sooner than most think—I’m under the impression that most think that Washington takes a QB it will be in the seventh round, maybe the sixth. But I see a strong chance that they will take one earlier, maybe as early as the fourth. They have two quarterbacks who are unsigned for 2016 and the option deal for Robert Griffin III offers the team little in the way of assurance that he’ll be back. Getting someone who could at least be ready to be a solid backup in 2016 is the smart thing to do. Round seven QB’s are usually multi-year projects to get to that point.

4. The Redskins will get a 2015 starter on the offensive line, probably at right tackle—I’m not sure if it’s going to be Week 1 starter that they get in the middle of the first after a trade back or in the second or if it will be a third rounder who works his way into the lineup by midseason. It’s a pretty deep class at tackle so they should be able to get someone who can get up to speed fairly quickly.

5. The Redskins’ first draft pick will be Dante Fowler—I’m about 60 percent confident that the guy I’ve been saying would be the Redskins first pick since before the combine will end up accepting the Redskins jersey with No. 1 on it at about 9 p.m. tonight. The other of the rest, I’ll say there’s about a 30 percent chance of a trade with the other 10 percent on the field, particularly Amari Cooper and Leonard Williams.

What are your predictions? Hit us up in the comments!

—It’s been 123 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be 136 days until they play another one.

Days until: Redskins minicamp starts 47; Redskins training camp starts 91; Redskins @ Giants 147

If you have any questions about what’s going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.

Follow Real Redskins on Instagram @RichTandler

1. babyteal1 - Apr 30, 2015 at 8:58 AM

Works for me!!!

2. jaysjack - Apr 30, 2015 at 9:41 AM

My top 5 WISH list for round one.
    Leonard Williams by some crazy chance falls to us.
    Dante Fowler is still there.
    We get a great trade back. (why would Browns trade with us? but maybe get a teams 2nd this year and an extra something next year)
    We get the best O lineman in the draft.
    That’s what I prefer to have, in that order

• jaysjack - Apr 30, 2015 at 12:23 PM

Wow, My first ever post and I can’t count to five.

3. captblood3000 - Apr 30, 2015 at 9:43 AM

I think the #5 pick will be either Fowler or Williams. The Jaguars will pick one and the other will be available at #5. If it’s Williams, and the Redskins agree to trade the pick, I hope the Redskins get not the “#5 value”, but Williams’ value for the pick. After all, if their trading partner thinks the asking price is too high, we get Williams in burgundy and gold.

• ET - Apr 30, 2015 at 10:05 AM

If Williams really falls to #5, I have a tough time believing McC will give him up. It’d have to be a helluva sweet deal.

(BTW, Rich, I love all your predictions.)

4. bowlregard - Apr 30, 2015 at 9:44 AM

Of the second tier QBs I’m guessing he likes Grayson the best. But Connor Halliday is mentioned more often with the Redskins, and he may be climbing the board a bit. Prediction: Halliday in the fifth.

5. solskins23 - Apr 30, 2015 at 10:14 AM

1) I’m with Rich about Beasley at 5. Righ now he is a one down player, not valuable for 5 but maybe later say 10-15.
    2) if we trade down it will not be lower than 15. Scott said he feels there are 12–15 top players they have targeted.
    3) if mariota, fowler, and Williams are of the board , they WILL trade the pick and I believe they will take either sherrif, dupree, or Beasley.
    4) last thing I would love to get Brown two 1st for the fifth pick if mariota falls and fowler is not there.
    HAPPY DRAFT DAY

6. colmac69 - Apr 30, 2015 at 11:32 AM

Thankfully its nearly here and we at least get to laugh at how many mock drafts look silly

Wouldnt complain if we drafted williams if he still there altho my preference would b fowler (defense still needs pass rusher)

Wont b short of drama im sure……enjoy

7. dcfaninecuador - Apr 30, 2015 at 11:42 AM

Excellent point about sack totals. Who lead CFB in sacks before he was drafted? Trent Murphy. Who are we now saying is not complete enough and we need another edge rusher to supplant him? Trent Murphy. Sack totals in college mean squat.

• ET - Apr 30, 2015 at 12:18 PM

Yes, the college sack totals don’t guarantee anything, but many edge rushers produce less than impressively their first year in the NFL. While I think drafting another edge rusher is a good idea, I also believe Murphy is a good player who will continue to improve.

8. kenlinkins - Apr 30, 2015 at 1:32 PM

The keys to draft seems to be Tenn. What they do with the 2nd pick will shape the top 5 picks. I have both QB’s going 1,2 no matter what Cleveland does and Williams & Fowler going 3,4 no matter what the Falcons do. Oakland should not allow Williams or Fowler to get by them (as they can find a WR in the 2nd round, but one can hope they do). That leaves the Redskins looking at Cooper, White, Scherff and Beasley. IMO I do not see a trading partner who would give full value to pick one of the Redskins Plan B types (they would be looking for a “steal – deal” and the new GM can not allow that to happen. Of these 4 I have Cooper rated at 66, White at 66, Scherff at 63 and Beasley at 61 ( I use at 1 – 70 point grade system like grading coins). I have Winston as a 67, Mariota 66, Williams 69 and Fowler at 68. If this happens, IMO the Redskins will take White (BPA building for 2016) and look to trade back in the 2nd round. My Wild Card pick would be CB Waynes (66) or DT Sheldon (66) as IMO both have been under valued and great targets if the Redskins can trade back.

9. kenlinkins - Apr 30, 2015 at 1:34 PM

Rich: What does it take to be a great GM in todays NFL? (besides being better then me at finding / picking talent).

• bangkokben - Apr 30, 2015 at 2:14 PM

Ken, being that it is a big day for the NFL and anyone covering it, I’m going to chime in here. IMO, it takes a clear and concise vision, the how-to to get to that vision, and most importantly the ability to communicate this vision to the owner, team president, coach, and scouting department. Then it takes the commitment to that vision. This team has rightly been accused of not having a clear identity. That’s because that identity is always changing – offense, defense, and even in the draft. Whatever McLoughan’s vision is, everything needs to support that vision. The fans and media don’t need to know precisely what the vision is but we can piece it together by what he says.

• kenlinkins - Apr 30, 2015 at 3:11 PM

Bangkokben, please feel free to jump in anytime, that is part of the fun. For me, I have been around football at all levels my whole life and IMO I understand much of what go’s on once a player hits the field. It is the front office, locker room and off field (i.e. the business end of the sport) that I find myself much of the time being out of touch with. The business part of the NFL has changed so much so fast that fans like myself require great insight and information from areas we rarely see just to form an opinion. And that is where other fans (like yourself) and writers / reporters like Rich help so much. I do agree with what you wrote but I do feel that there is much more to it. I do hope the Redskins can pull off a great few days and build a better roster.

10. dcfaninecuador - Apr 30, 2015 at 2:05 PM

Somehow, I’d love to see Scherff go to the skins. With he and Williams, it would truly be the beginning of the next generation Hogs. Also think Ayjayi would be an excellent later round addition, along with the QB from Colorado State or Connor Halliday

• captblood3000 - Apr 30, 2015 at 8:18 PM

I watched Scherff play in the 2014 Iowa Maryland game. By my count, he was responsible for 1 1/2 sacks, 1 intentional grounding call, 3 quarterback hits, and 3 other quarterback hurries. Maryland defenders at 250 pounds bull rushed through him twice. Those of you who want Scherff so badly can watch that game as your penance. This was the game analysts cite when they project Scherff to guard. But the failure to stand up to bull rushes was surprising for such a highly ranked prospect.

11. abanig - Apr 30, 2015 at 2:17 PM

I think the skins will trade back in round 3, pick up an extra pick or 2 and grab one of the 3 best FS prospects. Then, take a RB and LB in round 4.

• bangkokben - Apr 30, 2015 at 2:40 PM

Any extra picks in rounds 5-7 are….

…often superfluous. Maybe this year with a real talent evaluator they won’t be. As for extra picks, I prefer next year’s picks and/or rounds 1-3.