Apr 28, 2015, 5:19 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Tuesday, April 28, two days before the Washington Redskins go on the clock at the NFL draft.
McCloughan talks trade down
Is a trade down from the fifth pick in the draft inevitable?
Perhaps that’s too strong a word, but my big takeaway coming out of Scot McCloughan’s pre-draft news conference yesterday is that he would very much like to trade down.
“I’d love to get 10-plus [picks] out of this thing,” he said what I asked him about trading back.
“But, if not we’ll be okay,” he quickly added. “If we stay put at [pick No.] 5, we’ll get a good football player at 5.”
Although McCloughan will make the best of it if a deal doesn’t happen, the team has more needs than picks right now. It’s clear that he wants more than the seven picks the organization currently has in order to rebuild a team that has won a combined seven games in the last two years.
It seems that the ideal scenario for McCloughan would be if USC defensive end Leonard Williams slid down past the first four picks. He is widely considered to be the best player in the draft and other teams would want him. It’s not like the Redskins couldn’t use him but McCloughan also knows that his phone will be ringing if Williams is there.
“It might bring a trade more into play,” he said. “We do feel good about our defensive front.”
If that’s not putting up a “For Sale” sign on the pick if Williams is there, I don’t know what is.
At the very least, McCloughan would love to be in the position to either take the best player in the draft or get a solid return of additional picks instead.
—It’s been 121 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be 138 days until they play another one.
—Days until: 2015 NFL Draft 2; Redskins minicamp starts 49; Redskins training camp starts 93
If you have any questions about what’s going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Stephen A. Smith mocks Redskins again after loss to Lions
- Redskins injury report: Team will monitor Williams, Scherff
- Jordan Reed will practice for Redskins, but he's still not cleared to play vs. Bengals
- Josh Norman's return from concussion could be complicated by London travel
- Initial Trent Williams injury news is 'good,' per CSN source
- What should the Redskins do at running back?
- Effective in Detroit but lacking big plays, Kirk Cousins says 'I go where my reads take me'
- Did DeSean Jackson take a shot at Redskins' offense on Instagram?
- Redskins' loss leaves them in a muddled situation
- Need to Know: Redskins vs. Lions by the numbers—Two firsts for Rob Kelley