Apr 25, 2015, 5:27 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, April 25, five days before the Washington Redskins go on the clock at the NFL draft.
A week from today it will be Day 3 of the NFL draft. This is the time where GM’s and scouting departments really earn their money, finding late-round contributors. While he was the GM in San Francisco for the 2005-2009 drafts he had some solid finds on Saturday, although he didn’t find any breakout gems. Let’s compare what McCloughan drafted in rounds 4-7 to who the Redskins took in the same rounds in the same drafts.
Best Players (by AV)
McCloughan: S Dashon Goldson (AV 42, 4th round, 2007), DE Parys Haralson (37, 5th, 2006)
Redskins: DL Kedric Golston (26, 6th, 2006), S Reed Doughty (22, 6th, 2006)
You had probably had heard of Goldson even before he came to the Redskins; he was the first-team All-Pro safety in 2012. Haralson, drafted in the fifth round in 2006, was still in the league last season, starting 12 games and picking up three sacks for the Saints. The 49ers got seven seasons, 68 starts, and 21.5 sacks from him. Golston is still on the Redskins’ roster, although he may be on the bubble after all of the free agent acquisitions on the defensive line.
Players with at least one season as a starter
With three seasons as a starter Golston is the only player in this group for the Redskins who has more than one year as a starter to his credit. The 49ers have Goldson and Haralson with six, DB Tarrell Brown with four, and TE Delanie Walker and WR Josh Morgan with three each. One of Morgan’s seasons as a starter came after he signed a free agent contract with the Redskins.
Players with 75 or more games played
Only Golston (125) and Doughty (107) have played at least 75 NFL games. Among the 49ers who have that many games under their belts is recently-signed Redskin Ricky Jean Francois.
Players who played in an NFL game in 2014:
In addition to Goldson the only other Redskins player in this group who played a snap in 2014 was QB Jordan Palmer, a sixth-round pick in 2004. He mopped up in one game for the Titans last year. None of the 49ers in this group played in San Francisco last year but the fact that they are still active is rather impressive in itself.
Just to compare that last stat for McCloughan with some other teams around the league who have reputations for drafting well, three members of the Giants drafted on Saturday from 2005-2009 were still active, five from the Ravens are, 12 Packers, seven Patriots, eight Steelers, and four Seahawks.
—It’s been 118 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be 141 days until they play another one.
—Days until: 2015 NFL Draft 5; Redskins minicamp starts 52; Redskins training camp starts 96
If you have any questions about what’s going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
In case you missed it
- Need to Know: How many of their players did the Redskins draft?
- Draft focus on offense or defense?
- Report: Top WR visited the Redskins
- For Garçon, Redskins must improve in 2015 or “it’s all bad”
- Redskins sending coaches to meet with top edge rusher
- NFL Mock Draft 7.5: The extreme, trade-heavy version
- Could the Redskins be looking to move . . . up?
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins will watch injuries to key players on both sides of the ball
- New #RedskinsTalk Podcast - After near storybook ending, heartbreak in Detroit
- Jay Gruden says Redskins defense should have been more aggressive in final series
- Five observations from the Redskins' loss to the Lions
- VIDEO: Trent Williams walks gingerly while helped to locker room after injury
- Redskins take late lead on Cousins TD, give up late lead on Boldin TD
- Josh Norman leaves game with concussion
- Redskins inactives vs. Lions: Despite shoulder injury, DeSean Jackson will play
- Need to Know: Redskins vs. Lions final thoughts—A big day for Jones?
- Enemy Intel: Around the NFL, Week 7—Giants boot away any claim the high ground