Apr 24, 2015, 4:48 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, April 24, six days before the Washington Redskins go on the clock at the NFL draft.
Here are five facts about the Redskins’ draft history:
—The Redskins currently have 20 players that they drafted on their roster. The longest tenured among them is Kedric Golston, taken in the sixth round in 2006. Of the 22 players who are widely considered to be on the top of the team’s depth chart at their positions, 10 were drafted by the Redskins.
—The Redskins have drafted 36 players in the last four drafts. That’s the most for the team in any four-year span since the draft went to seven round. Of those players, 17 remain on the roster. They have two players from the 12 they took in 2011 (Kerrigan, Paul), six of the nine from 2012 (Griffin, LeRibeus, Cousins, K. Robinson, Morris, Compton), four of seven from 2013 (Amerson, Reed, Thomas, Thompson), and five of eight from last year (Murphy, Moses, Long, Breeland, Grant).
—The Redskins have drafted 34 players from Notre Dame in their history, the most of any college. However, they haven’t taken anyone from the Fighting Irish since they tabbed tackle Jim Molinaro in the sixth round in 2004. Next to Notre Dame, the Redskins have drafted the most players from USC (29) and Penn State (21).
—Of those 20 players who are draft picks who are still on the roster, more came from the fourth round (5), than from any other round—Perry Riley, Kirk Cousins, Keenan Robinson, Phillip Thomas, Bashaud Breeland.
— The Redskins have drafted 16 players in the seventh round in the last seven drafts going back to 2008. None of those players remain on the roster. The have had five seventh-rounders in the last three drafts—TE Ted Bolser, K Zach Hocker, RB Jawan Jamison, CB Richard Crawford, and S Jordan Bernstine—and none are still around. Not even a reserve/special teams type in the bunch.
—It’s been 117 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be 142 days until they play another one.
—Days until: 2015 NFL Draft 6; Redskins minicamp starts 53; Redskins training camp starts 97
If you have any questions about what’s going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins injury report: Status on Norman, Reed unknown
- Jordan Reed, Josh Norman in for early part of Redskins practice; Matt Jones out
- Statistic Surprise - Redskins used Su'a Cravens sparingly against Detroit
- New #RedskinsTalk Podcast - Barstool Nate professes love for Kirk Cousins & London football
- State of the Redskins, Week 8—A very long business trip on tap
- Need to Know: First look at Redskins vs. Bengals—Which team is more desperate?
- Facebook Live pres. by Paisano's: Previewing London with Ryan Kerrigan
- Redskins vs. Bengals: London game time, TV channel, how to watch
- NFC East: Admitted domestic abuser Josh Brown released by Giants
- Despite mistakes, Redskins' Gruden has faith in WR Grant