Need to Know: Five Redskins draft thoughts including the best defender on the board

Apr 20, 2015, 4:56 AM EDT

Here is what you need to know on this Monday, April 20, 10 days before the Washington Redskins go on the clock at the NFL draft.

Nickel coverage

Here are five thoughts on the Redskins and the NFL draft:

—I’ve been thinking the Redskins would go with a guard in second round (specifically Laken Tomlinson of Duke). But an offensive tackle they like more could still be there and be the pick instead. If he checks out medically and is still around, Cedric Ogbuehi of Texas A&M (knee) could be the pick and I’ve seen some mock drafts where Ereck Flowers of Miami has lasted until the early second.

—It’s possible that the Redskins will make a trade back deal with the Browns but they probably won’t get Cleveland’s second first-round pick in the trade. The 12th and 19th, Cleveland’s two firsts, would be enough to get up to about the second or third pick so why shouldn’t they just do that if they have a particular player targeted. If they make a trade with Washington moving from 5th to 12th the compensation is more likely to be Cleveland’s second-rounder (No. 43) plus a Saturday afternoon pick.

—A few days ago I posted on the possibility that Leonard Williams will be there when the Redskins pick at No. 5. If they take him, what would that do to the defensive line depth chart? Williams would be an end in the 3-4 alignment and right now Jason Hatcher and Stephen Paea are the starters there with Chris Baker and Ricky Jean-Francois as the primary backups. I know it’s heresy to say that the fifth pick in the draft may not start but I’d work Williams in the rotation on both sides in normal alignments and on the left end when they are in a four-man line in nickel. If he forces his way into a starting role over Hatcher or Paea, fine. In any case, Hatcher has an $8.75 million cap number next year and is likely to be gone regardless.

—There’s been plenty of talk about the Redskins taking Kevin White or Amari Cooper at No. 5 but not much of them taking a wide receiver later in the draft. They have four on the roster now with DeSean Jackson, Pierre Garçon, Andre Roberts, and Ryan Grant. They normally carry five on the roster so drafting one is definitely in play. Stefon Diggs of Maryland might be a good pick in the fourth or fifth round since he might be able to bolster the return game. Scot McCloughan prefers taller receivers (Diggs is 6-0) but the bigger guys don’t get you much juice in the return game. We will see.

—Greg Cosell of NFL Films called Florida OLB Dante Fowler Jr. “the best defensive prospect in the draft . . . I’d take him over any other defensive player in the draft. Fowler has natural athleticism and flexibility, good balance, lateral quickness with explosion, closing burst and speed – all the traits you look for in an NFL pass rusher.” Of course Scot McCloughan may not have the same opinion but that is some high praise from a very knowledgeable analyst.

—It’s been 113 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be about 146 days until they play another one.

Days until: 2015 NFL Draft 11; Redskins minicamp starts 58; Redskins training camp starts 102

If you have any questions about what’s going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.

Follow Real Redskins on Instagram @RichTandler

1. jtaylor68 - Apr 20, 2015 at 8:06 AM

Rich, if the trade with Cleveland for their 12th pick happens, who do you see them targeting?

• redskinscaio - Apr 20, 2015 at 8:28 AM

I hope Sherff! But the Giants might draft him a few picks before…

• redskinscaio - Apr 20, 2015 at 8:30 AM

If the Skins do trade with Cleveland for the 12th, they better get their other first round pick, even if means that the Skins trade away their 3rd or 4th…

• jtaylor68 - Apr 20, 2015 at 9:21 AM

Unless Cleveland overpays points for the pick, which scenario do you like…….Skins 5th and 3rd for their 12th, 19th and 4th rounder or our 5th for their 12th, 2nd round and a 4th round pick ?

• redskinscaio - Apr 20, 2015 at 10:10 AM

Good question what do you prefer? Honestly, it depends on what the Titans do with the second pick. If they draft Mariota, I don’t think Cleveland moves up.

If Mariota is still on the board at 5, and Williams is there, I draft Williams. If Mariota is there, I’d also contact the Jets, and see what they can do… Or should we just take Fowler? I mean, if Fowler is better than Kerrigan, I’d love to have two great pass rushers… Boy, now I’m having doubts. lol. Remember, the whole idea about teams trading up with the Skins for Mariota is because the Jets might take Mariota with the 6th pick, so teams want to move ahead of them and take Mariota themselves.

OK, but if I had to choose I’d def. take the two first rounders… I think 12th, 19th, and their 4th rounder is too much, I don’t think the Browns would go for that. They also still have Manziel who they used their first round pick on last year.

The Saints also have two first round picks. They might want to move up too, they’re looking to get a pass rusher…

• kenlinkins - Apr 20, 2015 at 10:28 AM

The rumor in Cleveland this weekend was a trade with the Redskins. The Browns 12th and 19th pick for the Redskins 5th pick and Garcon (if Mariota is still on the board). That would value Garcon as a very low 2nr round pick). The Browns have 10 picks this year but are very unsure of both the QB and WR positions. That would still leave them 5 picks in the top 150 to help fill holes and develop back ups. The other Deal has the Browns waiting until after their 2nd round pick (#43) and then offering the Redskins a 3rd round pick (#77) and 2 4th round picks (#111 and #115) for Cousins (if they miss out on Mariota). That would value Cousins at about a middle round 2nd pick. Rich: Anything in the air at Redskins Park and do you thing the Redskins have any interest in either of these deals?

• jtaylor68 - Apr 20, 2015 at 12:12 PM

I like both Garcon and Cousins but I would take either deal, especially the Kirk offer. They might as well just package it all up and we could throw in Leribus for a tip. Seriously though if I had to chose, I would take the Kirk offer. We may still have a trade partner in the first depending on who is there at 5.

• Rich Tandler - Apr 20, 2015 at 9:50 AM

One of the WRs. Can’t count on Gordon.

• jtaylor68 - Apr 20, 2015 at 10:02 AM

Sorry about that, I meant to ask about the skins at 12.

• obxskins - Apr 20, 2015 at 9:52 AM

Shelton would be good pick or the best OL on board, in my humble opinion..of course I am not Rich.

• Rich Tandler - Apr 20, 2015 at 9:54 AM

I would say Bud Dupree.

• jtaylor68 - Apr 20, 2015 at 10:06 AM

I like that pick, especially if we miss out on Beasley and Fowler.

2. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Apr 20, 2015 at 8:28 AM

I think Flowers will go much higher. I’ll be surprised if he makes it past pick 19, and could go as early as 9 to the Giants.

• obxskins - Apr 20, 2015 at 9:35 AM

I have seen the road grader from Iowa linked to the Giants alot! Doesn’t mean thats where he is going..I believe what we think about Moses really affects our OL pick..what I saw last year from him..he has alot of work to do but we do have an excellent coach to help that!

• captblood3000 - Apr 20, 2015 at 2:55 PM

The Giants taking their future left tackle at #9 would be a huge move for them. They could flip Beatty to right tackle, move Pugh inside to guard, and Richberg from guard to center, which is where Richberg played in college. They would get better at four offensive positions with one pick. Picking Scherff at #9 would also allow them to move Richberg to center.

3. Stephfan - Apr 20, 2015 at 9:28 AM

I hope we don’t trade back but if we do i would take Shelton if still there. If not then the it’s up in the air for me

• sidepull - Apr 20, 2015 at 4:54 PM

Ditto. Shelton Lock..

4. obxskins - Apr 20, 2015 at 9:32 AM

IMO, just depends who is there at 5,,Big Cat or Flower I believe we should get them..if not maybe trade down get extra picks..then get best OL on board with one of 2 second round picks..Guard does seem to be deep. I do understand the future situation with some of our WR’s but not to use ammo like other teams wanting one of the top wrs would be crazy..if one of them wrs falls to us then let Scot do his thing. I will not be shocked if a QB was taken either. I like this time of year and do enjoy reading others opinions! Thanks for sharing AASkins Nation!

5. obxskins - Apr 20, 2015 at 9:37 AM

I LIE THE Duke GUARD AND South Carolina guard as targets for us in second round..? Any thoughts Skin fans?

• jtaylor68 - Apr 20, 2015 at 10:04 AM

I prefer Laklin Tomlinson “the Duke guard”. Day one starter.

• ET - Apr 20, 2015 at 11:40 AM

I like both Laken Tomlinson (the Duke guy) and AJ Cann (the SC guy). Cann is supposed to go off the board later, however. He may still be there in the 3rd, while it seems unlikely that Tomlinson lasts that long. The Skins may also go RT if there’s soneone they like still available.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Apr 20, 2015 at 12:41 PM

OT Jamon Brown Louisville
      OG John Miller Louisville
      G/C Shaq Mason Georgia Tech

6. bowlregard - Apr 20, 2015 at 9:42 AM

Right now I’m assuming that the two QBs are going one two. There seems to be a lot of competition for their services, so even if the Bucs and Titans don’t take them, they’ll have sweet deals for trading down. That would leave the question who the Browns would trade up for at 5 if they haven’t already traded up with the Bucs or Titans. If they want one of the receivers real bad, McClue would be in a strong position to demand something beyond the point formula. He should insist on both number ones, even if it means the Skins giving up a mid-round pick in addition to the fifth pick.

7. renhoekk2 - Apr 20, 2015 at 10:08 AM

Marcus Peters CB Washington. The Skins have Breeland and Culliver then a bunch of questions. Can Amerson turn it around? What’s Hall going to look like after a double Achilles injury and adding another year to the 30yr old + scale? Can Porter get and stay healthy enough to play? Is Porter any good anyway? Outside of QB, CB is probably the last position you want to have questions at. DL or OLB not the same kind of impact if you have problems with depth.

8. alextwrs - Apr 20, 2015 at 12:01 PM

Bud Dupree is the real deal and is creeping up the board. If the trade is pulled off and the skins land him they will be happy for a long time. He is one of the few edge rushers that was asked to go into coverage as a college athlete. He is not a one trick pony and can stil get after the QB. Get a large man to fill a tackle/guard spot with the other pick and Scotty has earned his paycheck.

• ET - Apr 20, 2015 at 1:51 PM

Yeah, I’d much rather have Dupree than Ray, Gregory, or some of the other high-ranked defensive players. Dupree’s got “it,” whatever “it” is.

One could certainly make the case that players like Beasley, Ray, Shelton and Armistead are less well-rounded that Dupree and thus more situational.

9. Caveman Cooking - Apr 20, 2015 at 2:19 PM

I know I’ve touted Beasley before on here. But, after watching a LOT of game film on him and all the other top edge rushers, I am really hoping we get Fowler. The guy is a game-changer, never out of the play, and extremely versatile. Add to that his quickness, strength, size, and motor, and you begin to see why he is one of the few no-brainers in this draft.
    That’s not to say that I don’t like Beasley anymore. But, Fowler has fewer question marks and is a Day 1 plug-in 3-down player. Archives