Apr 17, 2015, 5:16 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, April 17, 13 days before the Washington Redskins go on the clock at the NFL draft.
Question of the day
A few days a week I’ll give an in-depth answer to a question submitted by a fan on my Twitter feed, via the Real Redskins Facebook page, or in the comments section here. On Twitter address the questions to me at @Rich_TandlerCSN with the #NTK hashtag. There will be a comment thread set up on the Facebook page and if you’re asking your question here, put “for NTK” at the start of the comment.
The Redskins have indeed loaded up on the defensive side of the ball this offseason with every free agent signing the team made going to help Joe Barry’s unit. So far they have signed three linemen, a cornerback, and two safeties. That alone could well help a unit that was near the bottom of the barrel in most significant statistical categories.
But I don’t think that they are done. Yes, Scot McCloughan will continue to give the defense some building blocks in the draft.
Two big areas are likely to be addressed. It’s no big secret that the best available player is likely to be an edge rusher and that is an area of need due to the departure of Brian Orakpo. Yes, the Redskins do have Trent Murphy but you can’t have too many pass rushers and they likely will take one early in the draft if not with their top pick.
The other defensive position it seems likely that McCloughan will address is free safety. Dashon Goldson will turn 31 early in the season and he is essntially on a one-year deal since his salary doubles to $8 million next year. The Redskins will need a long-term replacement. The draft is thin at the safety position but there are some cornerbacks who could be converted to safeties as well.
I also think that at some point they will want a linebacker or two who can help out on special teams but those will probably come at some point on Saturday afternoon.
Depending on how the draft unfolds edge rusher and safety could be two of the top three draft picks. I think the other top three pick will be used to address the offensive line or perhaps running back but you never know how things will fall.
—It’s been 110 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be about 149 days until they play another one.
—Days until: Redskins offseason workouts start 3; 2015 NFL Draft 13; Redskins minicamp starts 60
If you have any questions about what’s going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins inactives vs. Lions: Despite shoulder injury, DeSean Jackson will play
- Redskins vs. Lions Live Updates: Scores, stats, analysis, highlights
- Need to Know: Redskins vs. Lions final thoughts—A big day for Jones?
- Enemy Intel: Around the NFL, Week 7—Giants boot away any claim the high ground
- Redskins vs Lions Preview: 5 things to know as Washington goes to the Motor City
- NFL reportedly fines Redskins tight end Vernon Davis for jump shot celebration
- Doctson could return from IR in Week 15
- Need to Know: Five Redskins who are under pressure against the Lions
- Redskins injury report: Cravens good to go
- Redskins place first-round rookie WR Josh Doctson on injured reserve