Mar 22, 2015, 5:06 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, March 22, 39 days before the Washington Redskins go on the clock at the NFL draft.
Question of the day—quick hits edition
I collect a lot of queries for the question of the day and a lot of them are good but they don’t warrant an answer long enough for a full post. So every once in a while I do a quick hits edition to answer those questions. Still some good ones left so let’s get going.
It’s still Bruce along with capologist Eric Schaffer (actually his title is VP of Football Administration/General Counsel) doing the contracts. I’m sure McCloughan is somewhat involved in the process and has final say since a good player acquired with a bad contract is a bad player.
For a long time it was Dante Fowler, the edge rusher out of Florida. He’s explosive with long arms. Fowler played all around the front seven in Florida’s defense, preparing him well for a versatile “you never know where he’s coming from” role in the NFL. But now I’m leaning towards West Virginia wide receiver Kevin White. He’s the big, fast, athletic receiver the Redskins haven’t had since, well, forever.
It sounds like Brandon is concerned that scouts and others on the personnel department who may be lame ducks. McCloughan could well be planning to clean house once the draft is over in May. But besides sheer professional pride, the scouts have every reason to give their very best efforts. If they do go looking for jobs, whoever might want to hire them will put a call in to McCloughan. He will give the potential employer his honest assessment and if that includes dogging it because the scout thought he was a lame duck, well, that scout might as well find a job selling insurance. Word gets around quickly.
Although Forbath is a very accurate field goal kicker his leg strength is still suspect. He annually ranks near the bottom of the league in touchbacks and there’s a pretty good chance that they will keep their eye on kickers who can both consistently boot the ball through the end zone and be reasonably accurate on field goals. I suspect there will be a second kicker in OTAs and training camp but how serious the competition is remains to be seen. The chances are pretty good that Forbath will be the Week 1 kicker.
—It’s been 84 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be about 175 days until they play another one.
—Days until: Redskins offseason workouts start 29; 2015 NFL Draft 39; Redskins training camp starts 130
If you have any questions about what’s going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Need to Know: Tracking the lineup changes around Redskins Park
- Paisano's Facebook Live: Ryan Kerrigan takes your pre-Week 4 questions
- Browns WR Josh Gordon decides he needs to enter rehab
- Gruden presser wrapup: Redskins' Jackson should be ready for Browns
- Duke Ihenacho: Obviously I want to be playing but it's the coach's decision
- Signed off Redskins practice squad, center Austin Reiter could start for Browns
- Redskins have been protecting Kirk Cousins well
- Redskins Playbook: Nothing certain for Redskins at left guard
- Many changes in Redskins secondary but David Bruton healthy, ready to go
- After shadowing Odell Beckham, Redskins have different plans for Josh Norman against Terrelle Pryor