Feb 26, 2015, 5:26 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, February 26, 12 days before the Washington Redskins and the rest of the NFL start free agency.
Question of the day
We’re going back to the NTK format we’ve been using since last month. Every day I’ll give an in-depth answer to a question submitted by a fan on my Twitter feed, via the Real Redskins Facebook page, or in the comments section here. On Twitter address the questions to me at @Rich_TandlerCSN with the #NTK hashtag. There will be a comment thread set up on the Facebook page and if you’re asking your question here, put “for NTK” at the start of the comment.
Well, that would make everyone happy but in reality you can’t build a quality offensive line in one draft. You have to take time, be patient, and have some luck. Let’s look at how the Hogs were built:
RT George Starke—A holdover from George Allen’s years, picked in the 11th round of the 1971 draft. He became the starter at right tackle midway through the 1973 season.
RG Mark May—The first-round pick in 1981, he was drafted to be a tackle but was soon moved back inside to guard.
C Jeff Bostic—Picked up as a free agent after the Eagles cut him.
LG Russ Grimm—A third-round pick in that powerhouse 1981 draft.
LT Joe Jacoby—An undrafted free agent who took over at left tackle three games into the season and didn’t let go of it.
So, the Redskins have the first-round pick on hand in Trent Williams. They also have three third-round picks in Morgan Moses, Spencer Long, and Josh LeRibeus. A couple of undrafted free agents, a way to go back in time and land an 11th-round pick, and they should be good to go, right?
Of course, it’s not that simple. Joe Bugel deserves credit for getting them to work together as a unit. And there was the perfect mix of a power O-line with a power running back in John Riggins.
—It’s been 60 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be about 199 days until they play another one.
—Days until: NFL free agency starts 12; Redskins offseason workouts start 53; 2015 NFL Draft 63
If you have any questions about what’s going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins injury report: Cravens good to go
- Redskins place first-round rookie WR Josh Doctson on injured reserve
- Redskins Jay Gruden makes it official: Jordan Reed out against Detroit
- Andre Roberts has actually been productive for the Lions this season
- Barry: Fuller very 'football mature', credits Virginia Tech
- WWE wrestler does Josh Norman's bow & arrow celebration in the ring
- Need to Know: Redskins key to the game—A big day from Cousins
- New #RedskinsTalk Podcast - Duke Ihenacho opens up about playing time and Mexican food
- Redskins' Josh Norman planning celebration that puts NFL in awkward spot
- Injury report: Cravens a full go in practice but status for game still uncertain