Redskins mock draft roundup: Edge rushers rule

Feb 25, 2015, 11:11 AM EDT

The Redskins have a first-round pick for the first time since 2012 and not since 2011 has there been some doubt about the player the Redskins will take with that top pick. That means that Redskins fans have not been able to have fun with the mock draft game for four years. Let’s take a spin around the World Wide Web and see what the more well known draftniks have to say about who the home team will take with the fifth overall pick.

These are partial comments from the analysts; click to see the full breakdown.

Peter King, The MMQB
Trade back with Eagles

*Trade: Washington gets Philadelphia’s first- and second-round picks this year, and first- and fourth-round picks in 2016. Washington could be moving from five to 20 in the first round by doing this deal, with GM Scot McCloughan scoring points with his new boss for not giving away the store in a trade, but rather acquiring the store.

My comment: What amounts to two seconds and a fifth (picks in future years are generally discounted by a round when evaluating trade value) is not nearly enough to move back 15 spots and give a division rival their QB of the future. It would have to be an offer they can’t refuse and McCloughan could easily refuse this.

Don Banks,
DE Randy Gregory, Nebraska

With Brian Orakpo heading into free agency after his injury-shortened 2014 season, Washington goes out and lands a substantial upgrade for the pass rush in the draft’s top five.

Eric Edholm, Yahoo! Sports
DE Dante Fowler Jr., Florida

In the Fowler-over-Randy Gregory argument, new defensive coordinator Joe Barry had more success with the forceful edge players such as Melvin Ingram (when he was healthy) in San Diego . . .

Dane Brugler, CBS Sports
OLB Vic Beasley, Clemson

With Brian Orakpo set to hit free agency, pass rusher will be high on the Redskins’ wish list. Beasley absolutely crushed the Combine . . .

Rob Rang, CBS Sports
OT Brandon Scherff, Iowa

Jay Gruden’s success as the play-caller in Cincinnati came with one of the league’s biggest offensive lines. He inherited one of the smallest in Washington and there is no question that upgrading the talent there will be an offseason priority.

Matt Miller, Bleacher Report

McCloughan has favored athletes with long arms and big hands in his previous stops, which is what makes Dante Fowler such a good fit here. Fowler is only 6’3″, but his arm length of 33.75″ is very good. Add in a 9.5″ hand with an impressive 261-pound frame, and Fowler is one of the bigger edge-rushers in the class.

Ben Standig,
DE Shane Ray, Missouri

Ray recorded 14.5 sacks this season at Missouri. Not sure what the Missouri star’s addition means for Trent Murphy in the starting lineup – please, don’t tell me about packages-, but it should mean applying more pressure on the Tony Romo’s of the world.

1. troylok - Feb 25, 2015 at 11:25 AM

I would really like to see Murphy get the opportunity to develop and the Redskins trade down to pickup a nose tackle, safety or big offensive lineman.

• jonevans511 - Feb 25, 2015 at 12:08 PM

I would love big Shelton in the first round but obviously he’ll be gone either before or right after we pick at 5. I don’t think any O-lineman are worth reaching for unless we trade way back, in which case a late first-round OL pick may not be worst decision.

Here’s my thing- it’s been said over and over but you can’t have enough solid pass rushers. My personal preference based on a mix of game film and combine is Fowler, but Beasley is intriguing as well. Either way adding a stud pass rusher cannot hurt us in any way and would immediately help the secondary (which needs to be addressed in the draft/FA as well). So while you’re not wrong about needing a big NT/stud safety/strong OL, I think we solve a lot of problems if get a solid pass rusher. Teams with weak secondaries but ridiculous pass rushers always seem to keep themselves in games- they may let up more big plays in the air than they’d like, but they can offset the impact by forcing turnovers/bad field position. Note: I’m not saying we should abandon the secondary and go all-in on the front 7, but I am a firm believer if you have to pick one area to address with a high draft pick, you take the guy who will get to the QB consistently.

Shelton (I drool at the thought of this kid starting from day 1 and making an impact immediately), Fowler, and Beasley are my #5 ideal choices. If we trade back, I’m fine with the decision as long as we don’t pigeon-hole ourselves and think we have to draft a player at a specific position….. just get the BPA and the team will fill itself out over time. It’s a process, as much as we fans want it to be immediate.

• Stephfan - Feb 25, 2015 at 12:11 PM

Are you a fool. Trent will never start again. We have seen enough of him, it’s time to move on. He can develop all he wants as a backup. These guys coming out are the real deal. I wasn’t to sold on Trent but hey we gambled and he is best suited as 2nd string. He is great against the run but he lacks true aggression when it comes to being a pass rusher. At least from what I’ve seen. He coverage skills are almost most than orakpo. The difference between them is high motor and aggression/power. Ryan and brain both showed in their first seasons they could and would be a dominate force. Trent not so much, he just looks like a guy that will contribute but not a lot.

• deepball1 - Feb 25, 2015 at 1:29 PM

yea Murphy is no good. They should release him. Never give a rookie more than half a season to prove himself. Either he becomes Pro Bowl material right away or you cut him. yeaaa. I vote that the Redskins hire you as their G.M. You are so smart.

• Stephfan - Feb 25, 2015 at 1:44 PM

Look at Ryan he became prob owl material right aways as did orakpo. Heck kenan Robinson played way better at middle lb n he was injuried for two years. Second miller n Compton played better. Id give them a chance before Murphy. Disagree all you want but you wouldn’t be a gm either if you stake your reputation on him. I didn’t say cut him, keep him as a backup

• skinsgame - Feb 25, 2015 at 8:02 PM

Orakpo was a pro bowler as a rookie and has been a dog ever since. Using your logic, RG3 should be the best QB in the league.

• 214hof - Feb 25, 2015 at 2:26 PM

“Trent will never start again. We have seen enough of him, it’s time to move on. ” Exactly who is “WE”? Do you mean “we” as the fan base… Or “we” as in, your referring to yourself and your armchair GM opinion matters to Washington’s FO? I don’t kno for sure, but I’m willing to bet the scouting reports Washington purchased from McC’s agency last off season had a few of the names on it we drafted. The “high effort” “football players” ( just a guess )Murphy, Long, Bolster, all seem to have similar qualities. When drafted, I remember hearing the same thing over and over again, “this is a lunch pale working kind of guy”. I don’t believe for a second and Washington has “seen enough” of Murphy, do with need a bit more depth at the position? Yes, but the same can be said for most position on the skins’ roster.

• Stephfan - Feb 25, 2015 at 2:31 PM

Lmao you guys are funny.. All I said was he won’t start. The skins are planning to replace him or I guess you guys know what the fifth pick is gonna be? Y’all can continue to believe that he will be a starter all you want but he didn’t show anything that proves he should be. Point blank period… He is destined to be a backup. Someone with more aggression and better moves will take his spot..

• Stephfan - Feb 25, 2015 at 2:33 PM

Just because I say we seen enough doesn’t mean we going to let him go so get your panties out of bunch and read.. It said not start

• 214hof - Feb 25, 2015 at 3:06 PM

And I’m to believe you have the inside scoop on what Washington is planning to do? I understand you’re entitle to your own opinion… But yours makes no sense to me… We as FANS, actually have no idea of McC’s plans for this off-season. We also have no idea what his thoughts are about the roster as whole let alone by position. Soon thing will get sorted out starting with FA. IMO Murphy fits a McC pick perfectly, based on what he has said about how he looks for players. Don’t understand how you write off Murphy because he didn’t put up eye popping stats in 8 starts. Kerrigan only had 7 or 8 sacks his rookie season in 16 games, I didn’t hear ppl screaming to replace him. Weather or not Washington drafts a pass rusher in the first is anyone’s guess, I wouldn’t be surprised if they do go PR Murphy wins the start come September.

• Stephfan - Feb 25, 2015 at 3:14 PM

It’s my opinion if you don’t like it don’t comment simply as that. Second I’m saying does make sense. If they draft a pass rusher in the draft, Murphy is done. He was pedestrian at best. He is best as a back up. He isn’t better than orakpo and his moves are weak. The guy is only good to stop the run. He can’t cover and need I go on

• 214hof - Feb 25, 2015 at 3:22 PM

No… You don’t, your argument is, at best unwarranted. The sample size is far to small for you to draw conclusions on what Murphy can or cannot do, or what he can or cannot IMPROVE.

• Stephfan - Feb 25, 2015 at 3:43 PM

My comment are warranted.. If you wanna continue to believe in him go head. But he will be a backup is all I’m saying. He isn’t athletic as you pointed out, not strong, bad in coverage, ok run stopper but that’s about it. So again I csn say as I please just like you can but the tape on him doesn’t look all that great on him. Or maybe we were wacthing differnt games lmao. Skins are going to replace him if they draft a passrusher. And Kerrigan and orakpo place de in high school so there is no excuse for Trent. He should’ve played better but didn’t. Not my fault he looked like a back up and that’s where he might stay..

• troylok - Feb 25, 2015 at 3:17 PM

I could be a fool. I mean, I don’t have credentials or anything like you obviously do, but maybe I am one of those unregistered fools. Anyhow, as foolish as I am, I don’t see the lack of a pass rush being the result of one player on an eleven player defense especially since that one player has to fight off blocks that should have been taken up by the guy in front of him. Face it, we’ve been treading water on the defensive line for some time. Bringing in a 4-3 end like Hatcher never made sense to me – especially when Haslett was talking about defensive linemen occupying blockers so the linebackers could make plays. Jarvis Jenkins never mutated into the beast they hoped he would. Golston is a 4-3 DT playing at end. Bowen has been hurt. Coefield is a 4-3 DT playing at nose. Murphy has potential. He came to the Redskins having played defensive end mostly in college so he had a lot to learn about the position. He’s not as athletic as Orakpo but he seems to me to be a smarter player. He needs to pack a little more muscle on that lean frame. He will continue to get better. But, as I said earlier, I may be be just a fool.

• 214hof - Feb 25, 2015 at 3:28 PM

Well put, my thoughts exactly… Murphy isn’t an athletic freak, and because of that he learned how to use technique, and tendencies to compensate. (lead NCAA in sacks SR year)

• Stephfan - Feb 25, 2015 at 3:45 PM

Kerrigan and orakpo played de too what’s there excuse? Nothing.

• 214hof - Feb 25, 2015 at 4:21 PM

You’re either right or ignorant, thinking that Murphy can’t improve with off season training. Draft a guy at 5, to replace your top pick from last year and move forward right? Just add Trent’s name to the other 3 picks from last year that didn’t cut it. ( Seastrunk, Hocker, and Bolster ) Now you have 4 of 7 draft picks wasted last year, exceptional team building my friend. Hats off to your “knowledge”.

• Stephfan - Feb 25, 2015 at 4:32 PM

Again I said to keep him, he just won’t start. So again I’m done going back and fourth with you. Trent csn get all the training he wants but did that help him last season.. I don’t think so? But if he starts next season you will see. Some people are better for backup roles. And just because you make him a backup doesn’t mean you hurt team chemistry. He would still be on the team. Some playrs don’t pain out. He was giving a chance and it didn’t work. Helu was giving a chance to start and now he is a backup. Tracy potter had his chsnce to start in his day and he is a backup. Cousins had his chance and now it looks like he will be a back up. All I’m saying is when your given that chance to start wether it’s one game or 16 games. Show that you are the real deal, that you have that spot on lock. Murphy didn’t show that he could lock it up. Point blank period

• captblood3000 - Feb 25, 2015 at 10:33 PM

Beware of making your own case. Many of the same players who play defensive tackle in a 4-3 would play defensive end in a 3-4. This why people speak of moving Cofield to defensive end.

While I would like to see Murphy develop, if BPA at #5 is an edge rusher, make that pick. You can never have too many good pass rushers, so Murphy’s talent will not go to waste.

• sidepull - Feb 26, 2015 at 12:59 PM

2. kenlinkins - Feb 25, 2015 at 4:09 PM

IMO, the jury is still out on Murphy. He did seem to be “getting it” later in the season and I hope he will develop more this training camp and be ready to make an impact early in 2015. The problem is with so many very good DT/DE/ OLB (pass rushers) sitting there for the Redskins to take with the 5th pick, (and how rare the very good ones are) that they may have to draft one and devalue last years top pick a bit. But better players make better teams (i.e. winners) and the Redskins require impact players, not just good players from their early picks. Now the new GM just has to figure out WHO is the best impact player if they can not trade back!

• Stephfan - Feb 25, 2015 at 4:35 PM

I agree there is no way that with so many pass rushers out there that we should just give the spot to Murphy. These kids look far better than Murphy did coming out. That’s all I’m saying

3. UKSkin - Feb 25, 2015 at 4:33 PM

I think there are serious question marks over MOST of the edge rushes and my gut says Shelton. Yes he is maybe a little high at 5 but what’s the point in having great edge rushers when you cannot collapse the pocket? As we have seen time and time again, qb’s just step up away from pressure making the edge rush ineffective. They won’t be able to do that with Shelton in the lineup. Great monsters don’t come around that often so we will be foolish not to take him.
    Gregory is too small, Ray doesn’t have an NFL position so if we go edge rusher then it’s Fowler for me. A trade down (unlikely) and Shelton would be even better although he will be gone in the top 10.

• 214hof - Feb 25, 2015 at 4:56 PM

I agree for the most part, the “top” pass rushers this year just don’t stack up to the talent level of previous drafts IMO, I do like the idea of Sheldon ( #5 or not ) but only if his more a Nagata/ Wilfork type player then the Stephan Tuitt version some ppl are speculating his is. I have faith in McC as a talent evaluator, and come draft day whoever’s name is on the card the skins turn in will be the right pick.

4. renhoekk2 - Feb 26, 2015 at 11:20 AM

If you look at Murphy’s sacks from his time at Stanford (youtube) a good number of them were what they call 2nd effort sacks. Where he didn’t beat his man but the QB held onto the ball and Murphy finally got free. In the NFL QB’s aren’t going to hold the ball as long (Murphy doesn’t get to play against Griffin) those college QB’s. He’s not a double digit sack guy in the NFL. He doesn’t threaten the pocket like Fowler or Gregory will.

5. 214hof - Feb 26, 2015 at 11:35 AM

Gregory at 235lbs or even 245lbs( if he puts weight back on ) threatens no one. Fowler is a versatile defender, but I think that hurts him year one.

6. brucealmty - Feb 26, 2015 at 9:15 PM

Danny Shelton all the way with the 1st. and best player thereafter.
    O-line; DB rnd 2