Feb 18, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT
INDIANAPOLIS—Redskins coach Jay Gruden will address the media early this afternoon here at the NFL Combine. He has not formally spoken to reporters since the day after the regular season ended. There are a few things to catch up on and here are some of the questions we will ask him.
Did he recommend that Kirk Cousins do some offseason word with his brother Jon? This news just surfaced yesterday. We will see how much of a hand Jay had in sending Jon a week’s worth of work and what the coach thinks the quarterback can get out of it.
How is Morgan Moses progressing after suffering a late-season Lisfranc injury? The 2014 third-round draft pick filled in for about a game and a half for an injured Trent Williams. He did a few things well but it was apparent that he needs a lot of work. If he is going to miss a substantial portion of the offseason rehabbing, his chances of seriously competing for a starting job will be greatly diminished.
How well is he working with Scot McCloughan? The way the new GM explained it, he would be working with the coaches to figure out the types of players they need to run their systems. We will try to find out how that process is coming along and if we should expect to see anything different.
Are they considering cap cuts and should we expect to hear anything soon? Even though the Redskins are officially some $13 million under the cap, teams trim payroll every year. Although Gruden is unlikely to name names, perhaps we can get an idea of where the are in the process.
Do the plan on being active in free agency? McCloughan comes in with a philosophy of building through the draft. But there are immediate holes that the Redskins need to have filled. Will they go the free agent route, an approach that has not worked for the team in the past? Or will they patch things as best they can with the players on the roster?
Follow Us On Twitter
- Need to Know: First look at Redskins vs. Bengals—Which team is more desperate?
- Facebook Live pres. by Paisano's: Previewing London with Ryan Kerrigan
- Redskins vs. Bengals: London game time, TV channel, how to watch
- NFC East: Admitted domestic abuser Josh Brown released by Giants
- Despite mistakes, Redskins' Gruden has faith in WR Grant
- NFC East Update: Redskins loss in Detroit might prove costly as Eagles beat Vikings
- Jay Gruden understands Redskins D-line complaints: They don't get paid to backpedal
- Bigger workloads for Redskins' Thompson, Kelley easier said than done
- Need to Know: Last words on Redskins vs. Lions—It just wasn't Washington's day
- Stephen A. Smith mocks Redskins again after loss to Lions