Feb 6, 2015, 6:43 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, February 6, 12 days before the Washington Redskins and the rest of the NFL assemble in Indianapolis for the NFL Combine.
Question of the day
We’re changing up the format of Need to Know for the offseason. Every day I’ll give an in-depth answer to a question submitted by a fan on my Twitter feed, via the Real Redskins Facebook page, or in the comments section here. On Twitter address the questions to me at @Rich_TandlerCSN with the #NTK hashtag. There will be a comment thread set up on the Facebook page and if you’re asking your question here, put “for NTK” at the start of the comment.
Today’s question is from Twitter:
Before addressing this, I should mention that I will be covering the NFL Combine from Indianapolis starting February 17. I’m still in the planning stages but expect a lot of information about players the Redskins might be interested in (which, as I noted here, could be just about any player in the draft pool).
Anyway, I’ll be there mostly to talk to draft prospects and that probably is what Scot McCloughan plans to do a lot of as well. He talked about what he’s looking for during player interviews a few weeks ago while he was at the Senior Bowl.
“You’ve got them for 10, 15, 20, 30 minutes,” he told reporters in Mobile. “It’s great just to start the whole portfolio. You see the talent on tape, but to see the person – what really drives him and the passion and competitiveness, what they’ve overcome in their life, what’s the family situation is like. So, yeah, it’s just building the whole package”
And to answer your primary question, Hap, film does give a much better idea of what a player can do for a team than does running the 40, bench pressing, and the short shuttle.
“I think game tape is the DNA. That’s it,” McCloughan said at his introductory press conference. “You don’t play in T-shirts and shorts. All these kids nowadays get these speed trainers and nutritionists prior to the combine and I don’t blame them, if it gets them more money it gets them more money. I always go back to the tape. I have to. That’s the way I was taught.”
Some teams use the data from the combine more than others do. The Raiders are notorious for drafting based heavily on combine 40 times and other results from the artificial turn inside the domed stadium.. It sounds like McCloughan is on the other end of the spectrum.
Some teams might use combine results as a tiebreaker between two players or as a small percentage of their overall grades. It varies. But don’t believe it when the draft analysts say that a player is shooting up or down the draft board due to his results in the bench press or in the three-cone drill. They just aren’t that important.
But getting to know the prospects is important and that will be the focus of the Redskins’ new GM.
—It’s been 40 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be about 221 days until they play another one.
—Days until: NFL free agency starts 32; Redskins offseason workouts start 73; 2015 NFL Draft 84
If you have any questions about what’s going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
In case you missed it
- Is safety the Redskins’ No. 1 need?
- Redskins Combine countdown: USC DT Leonard Williams
- How should the Redskins fill their needs at safety?
- Coincidence or not: RGIII left off promotional letter
- Are the Redskins inching closer to a new stadium? Survey says yes
- Redskins 2015 salary cap outlook: Safety
- Why Redskins WR Garçon is likely to be back this season
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins running back Robert Kelley likely to get more carries Sunday
- How the Redskins plan to stop A.J. Green if Josh Norman can't play
- Virginia and Idaho really love Ryan Kerrigan, apparently
- Redskins preparing for A.J. Green - with or without Josh Norman - 'They show no fear'
- Need to Know: Around Redskins Park—Will Reed and Norman make the trip?
- Redskins injury report: Status on Norman, Reed unknown
- Jordan Reed, Josh Norman in for early part of Redskins practice; Matt Jones out
- Statistic Surprise - Redskins used Su'a Cravens sparingly against Detroit
- New #RedskinsTalk Podcast - Barstool Nate professes love for Kirk Cousins & London football
- State of the Redskins, Week 8—A very long business trip on tap