Jan 27, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Salary cap review: Quarterbacks
As Jay Gruden and company finalize the coaching staff in another part of the building at Redskins Park are looking forward to free agency and how best to utilize the approximately $20 million in cap space the Redskins have. Here we’ll take a position-by-position look at the cap situation and explore some of the Redskins’ options. Previously we looked at the interior offensive line and offensive tackle, tight ends, running backs, and wide receivers.
Up today, quarterbacks
The Redskins currently have two quarterbacks under contract.
—Griffin is on the fourth year of his rookie contract. His base salary is fully guaranteed.
—Cousins is also on the fourth year of his rookie contract but as a fourth-round pick his salary is not guaranteed.
—Both players are in the final years of their contracts. Cousins will become a free agent after the season. Griffin also will be a free agent in 2016 unless the team activates a one-year option in his contract worth that would be worth about $16 million. They have until early May to decide on that option.
—Colt McCoy, who started four games last year, is an unrestricted free agent.
—The Redskins’ spending at quarterback ranks 21st in the NFL.
Adding and subtracting
As noted above, the Redskins currently have no quarterbacks under contract beyond 2015. It seems unlikely that the Redskins will pull the trigger on that $16 million option on Griffin by the deadline in May.
That situation could be viewed as a positive because it gives the team plenty of flexibility at the position. But the downside is that the Redskins have no stability at the most important position on the field.
Should they bring back Colt McCoy and possibly enter 2015 with the same trio of quarterbacks that ranked 11th in passing yards and 15th in passer rating in the NFL? Or should they look for an upgrade on the free agent market or in the draft? That’s the question that Tarik El-Bashir and I will discuss on CSNwashington.com a bit later this afternoon.
Cap information from OverTheCap.com and other sources.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Need to Know: Six Redskins under pressure against the Bengals
- A tribute to a fallen hero: CSNMA's top ten Vines of all time
- No promise on playing, but Jordan Reed, Josh Norman traveling to London with Redskins
- Dispatches from London - A day with Tottenham Hotspur in advance of Redskins arrival
- Redskins' Matt Jones misses another practice, in doubt for Sunday
- Redskins running back Robert Kelley likely to get more carries Sunday
- How the Redskins plan to stop A.J. Green if Josh Norman can't play
- Virginia and Idaho really love Ryan Kerrigan, apparently
- Redskins preparing for A.J. Green - with or without Josh Norman - 'They show no fear'
- Need to Know: Around Redskins Park—Will Reed and Norman make the trip?