Jan 26, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
The Redskins have a first-round pick for the first time since 2012 and not since 2011 has there been some doubt about the player the Redskins will take with that top pick. That means that Redskins fans have not been able to have fun with the mock draft game for four years. Let’s take a spin around the World Wide Web and see what the more well known draftniks have to say about who the home team will take with the fifth overall pick.
Rob Rang, CBS Sports (updated 1/20)
Brandon Scherff, OT, Iowa
“Jay Gruden’s success as the play-caller in Cincinnati came with one of the league’s biggest offensive lines. He inherited one of the smallest in Washington and there is no question that upgrading the talent there will be an offseason priority.”
Dane Brugler, CBS Sports (updated 1/20)
Dante Fowler Jr., OLB, Florida
“With Brian Orakpo set to hit free agency, pass rusher will be high on the Redskins’ wish list. Fowler projects best to the NFL as a stand-up edge rusher, using his relentless energy to be effective disrupting the pocket.”
Steven Ruiz and Michael Middlehurst-Schwartz, USA Today (updated 1/22)
Randy Gregory, OLB, Nebraska
Some have Gregory going sooner than this If this happens the Redskins could end up with an excellent all-around defender who can provide heat on the quarterback.
Bucky Brooks, NFL.com (updated 1/19)
Landon Collins, S, Alabama
“Collins is a ball hawk with the instincts and awareness to shut down the middle of the field.”
Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com (updated 1/14)
Leonard Williams, DE, USC
“The Redskins need help in several areas, and Williams would be a steal at this spot. He can dominate versus the run and pass.”
Ben Standig, CSNwashington.com (updated 1/13)
Shane Ray, DE, Missouri
“. . . That leaves pass rushers and there are a few good ones. Ray recorded 14.5 sacks this season at Missouri. Not sure what the Missouri star’s addition means for Trent Murphy in the starting lineup, but it should mean applying more pressure on the Tony Romos of the world.”
Follow Us On Twitter
- Gruden presser wrapup: Even he's not sure what a catch is
- Why all options are on the table for Redskins' offensive line
- With injuries at cornerback, Fuller is the next man up for the Redskins
- Will DeAngelo Hall return to the Redskins in 2017?
- A lucky win for the Redskins? Or were Giants lucky to be in it?
- Need to Know: Redskins 29, Giants 27 by the numbers
- MRI reveals Redskins' DeAngelo Hall has completely torn ACL
- Su'a Cravens channels Chappelle Show in perfect postgame tweet after Redskins win
- Jamison Crowder drops Giants special-teamer with obscene juke
- Quinton Dunbar did something Redskins haven't done since before Facebook existed