Jan 18, 2015, 5:00 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, January 18, 102 days before the Washington Redskins go on the clock for the first round of the NFL draft.
Question of the day
We’re changing up the format of Need to Know for the offseason. Every day I’ll give an in-depth answer to a question submitted by a fan on my Twitter feed, via the Real Redskins Facebook page, or in the comments section here. On Twitter address the questions to me at @Rich_TandlerCSN with the #NTK hashtag. There will be a comment thread set up on the Facebook page and if you’re asking your question here, put “for NTK” at the start of the comment.
Today’s question comes from the Real Redskins Facebook page:
Building through the draft is not a quick fix but if combined with a few smart free agent pickups late in the process it doesn’t have to take that long.
A lot depends on what they currently have on the roster that we don’t know about just yet. Are Spencer Long and Morgan Moses either the right side of the offensive line in the long term or, as some have suggested a position change for Moses, the starting guard tandem? Can Phillip Thomas develop into a starting safety? Was David Amerson suffering from a sophomore slump or will he have to be replaced?
And then, of course, there is the quarterback situation. A team is not going to attain “consistent playoff-caliber status” without one at least a competent starting quarterback. It seems that Robert Griffin III will have an opportunity to show that he can do that. If he can, or if perhaps Kirk Cousins can avoid the interception bug, the process can be faster. If neither is the answer, the rebuilding will be set back.
If the QB situation pans out and assuming that they can hold on to key players like Trent Williams and Ryan Kerrigan and that a few of the younger players already on the roster pan out, I think they can be noticeably better after two offseason cycles and be consistent playoff contenders by the end of Scot McCloughan’s four-year contract.
If they have some good luck with draft picks, maybe things can be accelerated by a year. Should they have some bust picks and have to jump back on the QB carousel, well, adjust your timetable accordingly.
—It’s been 21 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be about 238 days until they play another one.
—Days until: NFL Combine 32; NFL free agency starts 51; 2015 NFL Draft 102
If you have any questions about what’s going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins vs Giants Preview: 5 things you need to know as 'Skins get desperate
- Tandler's Redskins-centric look around the NFL, Week 3
- Redskins Gruden on rookie Kendall Fuller: He's just the odd man out, for now
- Need to Know: Five Redskins who are under pressure against the Giants
- How Dr. Robin West handles when Redskins and Nationals players get hurt
- Redskins injury report: DeSean Jackson, Trent Williams good to go for Giants game
- Redskins' Preston Smith hasn't had start he wanted, but knows 'anything can happen'
- Redskins Playbook: Still lots of questions on defensive line
- Redskins vs. Giants Week 3 Preview, predictions, storylines, betting odds
- Need to Know: Around Redskins Park—Will things start to click for Cousins?