Need to Know: How long for the Redskins to rebuild?

Jan 18, 2015, 5:00 AM EDT

McCloughan intro

Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, January 18, 102 days before the Washington Redskins go on the clock for the first round of the NFL draft.

Question of the day

We’re changing up the format of Need to Know for the offseason. Every day I’ll give an in-depth answer to a question submitted by a fan on my Twitter feed, via the Real Redskins Facebook page, or in the comments section here. On Twitter address the questions to me at @Rich_TandlerCSN with the #NTK hashtag. There will be a comment thread set up on the Facebook page and if you’re asking your question here, put “for NTK” at the start of the comment.

Today’s question comes from the Real Redskins Facebook page:

source:

Building through the draft is not a quick fix but if combined with a few smart free agent pickups late in the process it doesn’t have to take that long.

A lot depends on what they currently have on the roster that we don’t know about just yet. Are Spencer Long and Morgan Moses either the right side of the offensive line in the long term or, as some have suggested a position change for Moses, the starting guard tandem? Can Phillip Thomas develop into a starting safety? Was David Amerson suffering from a sophomore slump or will he have to be replaced?

And then, of course, there is the quarterback situation. A team is not going to attain “consistent playoff-caliber status” without one at least a competent starting quarterback. It seems that Robert Griffin III will have an opportunity to show that he can do that. If he can, or if perhaps Kirk Cousins can avoid the interception bug, the process can be faster. If neither is the answer, the rebuilding will be set back.

If the QB situation pans out and assuming that they can hold on to key players like Trent Williams and Ryan Kerrigan and that a few of the younger players already on the roster pan out, I think they can be noticeably better after two offseason cycles and be consistent playoff contenders by the end of Scot McCloughan’s four-year contract.

If they have some good luck with draft picks, maybe things can be accelerated by a year. Should they have some bust picks and have to jump back on the QB carousel, well, adjust your timetable accordingly.

—It’s been 21 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be about 238 days until they play another one.

Days until: NFL Combine 32; NFL free agency starts 51; 2015 NFL Draft 102

If you have any questions about what’s going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.

Follow Real Redskins on Instagram @RichTandler

100 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. Penz - Jan 18, 2015 at 5:07 AM

I agree, this is the NFL, things can turn around real quick. I like what the Skins have done so far since their season finished so it bodes well. Like you said, a couple of smart FA picks up and a good draft could get us on track. A lot depends on QB, i personally hope Cousins sorts out his int bug as he moved the ball really well and is less of a distraction than Griffin and who gets the DC job.

2. Joe Greene - Jan 18, 2015 at 5:41 AM

3 years minimum to rebuild this trainwreck, and that’s only if Gruden is actually a much better coach than I think he is and the QB position gets worked out (Kirk or someone not with the team right now).

3. Stephfan - Jan 18, 2015 at 7:54 AM

All of you are sleeping on griffin. If you look at Kirk he has also thrown an int in at least every game he has started… Can’t say the same for griffin. Has anyone ever thought that the fans are also to blame for the distractions. Talking to reporters bout how their changing teams cause we aren’t winning? Well they aren’t true fans! True fans stick it out. We have cambell time when he was our qb so why not griffin? He isn’t as bad as the fans say and if you build a team around him with a solid d then maybe he could win some games… There will be a qb competition and my money is on griffin to prove everyone wrong

• charley42 - Jan 18, 2015 at 10:40 AM

If I remember correctly, Peyton and Eli were both interception machines in their first years.

• Stephfan - Jan 18, 2015 at 10:57 AM

So your calling Kirk Payton.. Hell no and Eli is a turnover machine,.. Do you really want that

• redskinsinrichmondva - Jan 18, 2015 at 11:19 AM

Peyton and Eli were also #1 picks in their respective drafts. They threw picks early in their careers, yes; but they were also seen to have lots more potential than someone like Kirk Cousins, who was drafted in the 4th round.

• gasngo14 - Jan 18, 2015 at 10:50 AM

” If you look at Kirk he has also thrown an int in at least every game he has started ”

IS THIS A FACT……

• Stephfan - Jan 18, 2015 at 10:58 AM

Look for yoursrlf

• gasngo14 - Jan 18, 2015 at 11:11 AM

Don’t need to …it’s not a FACT! Maybe you need to look for yourself :)

• Cliff - Jan 18, 2015 at 11:12 AM

0 Int vs Jacksonville
          0 Int vs Seattle

• redskinsinrichmondva - Jan 18, 2015 at 11:22 AM

Not true. Kirk started the Seattle game last season and didn’t throw a pick.

• Stephfan - Jan 19, 2015 at 5:17 AM

He didn’t start the jags game… Second only one game last season he didn’t . Before that when he started at the end of 2013 he threw one in every game that’s a fact

• gasngo14 - Jan 19, 2015 at 2:49 PM

stephfan i’m glad to see that …..” YOU LOOKED FOR YOURSELF” and finally got the FACTS!

• Stephfan - Jan 19, 2015 at 7:05 PM

Got hop off Kirk’s stick! The man is a turnover magnet and I already knew the facts. Not my fault you didn’t know em and had to look them up. So on that note I’m glad you got your tedskins lesson lmao

• Joe Greene - Jan 19, 2015 at 10:37 PM

“Got hop off”

What in the world. Were you dropped on your head as a child?

For someone who already knew the facts, you sure did a good job of not getting them right. BTW, Kirk does turn the ball over too much, almost twice as much as Bob when you factor in fumbles, but he throws 3x the TDs that Bob does and takes 1/3 of the sacks. He’s a better QB right now and has actually shown some progression over the last year or so.

• Stephfan - Jan 19, 2015 at 11:16 PM

Lmao it’s called miss spelling words… Joe. Go hope off kirks dick… If he is the better qb he would’ve got drafted in the first wrong not the 4th. And he wouldn’t have got benched in a game against one of the worst teams in football… He did nothing forvthe first half. I didn’t get anything wrong so what exactly did you prove nothing. Only one of those games count. Kirk is an ok qb and that’s it. Like I said if he was the better qb he would have started every game but he didn’t. Please let me know why he is so great cause in all your comments you have conviced anyone

• Joe Greene - Jan 18, 2015 at 3:44 PM

Kirk throws INTs twice as often as Bob, but he throws TDs at three times the rate of Bob. Kirk has gotten better every season while Bob has gotten significantly worse. Kirk takes sacks at 4% while Bob takes them at 13%. Kirk is simply the better QB in every measure other than INTs and that’s one that he trumps with his TD%.

• redskinsinrichmondva - Jan 18, 2015 at 8:37 PM

Robert’s NFL passer rating and NY/A (includes sacks and sack yards) in 2014 were both better than his numbers in 2013. His ANY/A (includes sacks, sack yards, TDs, and INTs) was slightly down.

Meanwhile, Kirk Cousins has done this in his career:

2012: 102 NFL PR, 8.61 NY/A, 7.53 ANY/A (51 dropbacks)
        2013: 58 NFL PR, 5.14 NY/A, 3.67 ANY/A (163 dropbacks)
        2014: 86 NFL PR, 7.74 NY/A, 6.67 ANY/A (212 dropbacks)

This isn’t someone who has “gotten better every season”; he’s been all over the place. If anything, it shows exactly why he’s an enigma.

4. polofourme - Jan 18, 2015 at 8:11 AM

That’s a lot of, “ifs”…look this is going to take somewhere between three and five years to get this roster right and that’s IF every decision in the draft and every FA decision is a home run and that is simply not going to happen. IMO the team needs to be completely rebuilt first the OL, then the secondary, the defensive line need work and we are short in the LBs group. The only place where we seem to be stocked is at the WR position. I don’t have any confidence in Griffin…I have seen virtually all I need to see of him…and I hope the team lets Cousins go he deserves a shot with another team so IMO we need to find at least two new QBs one veteran and one in the draft. If Griffin and that’s a big if. If Griffin can win the QB position we still need to find a veteran backup and need to add a developmental QB who can sit and learn. IMO this year in the draft, we go jumbo along the OL and use our first three picks to start to get the OL fixed. Maybe find a safety in FA along with a journeyman QB who can actually operate from a pocket. That’s it for this year. Next year again I would go after the OL but also look for a quality safety and CB. Its a long process made in baby steps and SM can not make one single mistake…it will set the team back dramatically. And then of course there is the problem of keeping what you put together long enough so the team can win….and in these days of FA, that is nearly impossible but it can be done, just look at SEAT and NE….they do it year in and year out. But fans have got to be patient….this roster is so bad it will take years to make over and even then, its never a sure thing.

• gasngo14 - Jan 18, 2015 at 8:18 AM

Polo, Do you have faith in SM and Gruden also who do you want as our next DC?

• polofourme - Jan 18, 2015 at 11:28 AM

Not really he is and always will be a recovering alcoholic and working in this environment, he is sure to need a drink. I don’t agree with his view that you draft the best player available….so if the best player available is a RB or WR? you draft him. I want to see a plan..not just take the best player available. That concerns me. I want to draft OL, OL, OL this time around. But to just take the best player available, how do you build a team with that kind of thinking. As I said it concerns me. As for Gruden, I have previously posted, he needs more than one year to evaluate him..,,you can not run any O scheme with rotating QBs…just can not do it. You can not be limited in your game planning to only run the few plays Griffin can run and be successful. I want to see a veteran NFL QB who can operate in a pocket run his entire playbook, his version of the W CO…..and as I have stated, Griffin has to go for a variety of reasons. As for DC, I have posted I like Donatell from SF….I can not see Barry or Wade…not sure about Vargio? SF DC.

• redskinsinrichmondva - Jan 18, 2015 at 11:56 AM

Bringing in a veteran QB
          makes sense when your team is loaded elsewhere and you just need solid play at QB in order to go on a “win now” type of playoff run. See the Cardinals, for example.

On a team like the Redskins, it makes zero sense. Free-agents aren’t cheap, are usually on the wrong side of 30, and keep much younger players from playing and developing.

• polofourme - Jan 18, 2015 at 2:29 PM

I completely disagree, what we need is a place holder QB, not a long term solution and that’s why it makes sense to find a veteran who again, can operate from a pocket and run Grudens entire playbook not just some small subset. And FA is the only place where you can find an experienced NFL caliber QB but he doesn’t have to cost an arm and leg. IMO Jason Campbell or Kyle Orton type of player would be fine. Gruden demonstrated this year that he doesn’t need a all pro to be effective in his O scheme both Cousins and McCoy demonstrated that…they both threw for over 300 yards or close that. What we need is a guy who can just not make the big mistakes and can run the O. A journey man QB would probably do just fine. This team is not going to win next year or the next. That’s why it also important to draft a young QB to groom. Again, a late round pick is not a high cost. But what we do need is consistency at the QB position and we will not find that with Griffin.

• redskinsinrichmondva - Jan 18, 2015 at 7:04 PM

This team doesn’t need a long-term solution at QB? Yes, they do. Not only is continuity important in the NFL, the Redskins aren’t a great team. Those teams are better off drafting “young QBs to groom” and who can grow with other young players so that they can contend (and continue to contend) in the future.

From there, it’s easy to see why signing place-holder QBs is myopic; the team wastes cap space to sign older QBs when they aren’t even in a position to compete for a Super Bowl. Like I said, it’s a valid strategy if your team is already a contender. Not when you’re rebuilding. It’s a bit odd to sign such a older QB to a cellar-dweller just so he can run such and such an offense; it’s not exactly a need when you think about it.

• murphsman - Jan 18, 2015 at 1:10 PM

Polo doesn’t have faith in anyone…lol

• polofourme - Jan 18, 2015 at 2:21 PM

Completely untrue….I have faith in Morris. I also like the hiring of Callahan as OL coach. So, please try and keep your comments accurate…..and I can live with most of the candidates for the DC not Wade or Barry…but I don’t see any real support for either. As I have posted, I like the secondary coach from SF…Donatell. All I really want is a real search not just a knee jerk reaction. I want Gruden to make this call….its his staff and his job that is on line and he should have been allowed to build his own staff last year but clearly that was not the case.

• bangkokben - Jan 18, 2015 at 2:58 PM

I don’t have in anyone who advocates for a “Rex Grossman” situation at the most important position or not to draft BPA. If Matt Millen didn’t draft Calvin Johnson they’d 0-16 for more than one season.

• murphsman - Jan 19, 2015 at 3:40 AM

Ok sorry polo

5. hitmeimopen - Jan 18, 2015 at 8:31 AM

No mention of DLine? Well, I guess every armchair GM has his or her bent viewpoint.

• polofourme - Jan 18, 2015 at 11:35 AM

You can not fix everything on this roster that needs fixing in one year or two. IMO we can solve a lot of the problems with the DL in the short run by returning to a 4-3. We have a lot of our DL being played out of their natural position. Cofield is not a NT, Kerrigan is not an OLB, Jenkins would is not a DE he is a DT and Hatcher is not a DE he is a tackle. And so on. However if we stay with a 3-4 then of course the DL needs attention but again, the real weakness with the D is the secondary and we can get bye for a year or so with the guys we have…until we can upgrade that position. Again, I want to emphasis that we can fix a lot of what is wrong with the DL by changing schemes and that is why I want a DC in here who can do just that. I don’t think that will happen but there is always hope

• pookiebear - Jan 18, 2015 at 4:57 PM

Why the hell would you draft 3 straight ol? What is they are projected in later rounds ? Still gonna pick ol ol ol

• polofourme - Jan 20, 2015 at 2:49 PM

Three best OL not just any OL and if there are none there you can address the DL….why would you draft a player at three when he is a fifth rounder…did you actually think when your were replying to my post?

6. mrperry757 - Jan 18, 2015 at 8:38 AM

It will take 2 years to turn this team around the skins franchise QB of the future is not on this roster and that is going to determine how long this process will take . I think the GM will get that Defense turnaround quickly but that QB position that’s the tough one that’s the Achilles heel

7. kenlinkins - Jan 18, 2015 at 8:45 AM

IMO this years draft will not produce the impact players the Redskins require to jump start winning. Unless the Fla St QB or the USC DT drops to 5th spot (and if they do the Redskins should take them) there will be no one sitting on the board worth a trade up by another team. That leaves the Redskins reaching for an OT, S, DE or OLB who could be picked 8 to 12 spots later, not very good value. While DE Gregory is a fine player, he is not an impact / play maker and that is what the Redskins require. I see the Redskins draft like this: DE Gregory (but I see the Redskins reaching for S Collins), C Erving, CB Johnson, OT Robinson, CB Thomas, TE Kroft, DT Kilgo. That would be a good first draft but not a great draft as 3 of these guys are projects who will take a year before having any impact other than Special teams. Many of the OT’s who where listed as 2nd round picks are moving up and are now late 1st round picks which will also hurt any chance of trading down. The false start of ex GM Allen in 2014 of tagging Orakpo, drafting Murphy, and signing Hatcher has back fired and will cost the Redskins an extra year in rebuilding as the finish eating those mistakes in 2015!

• wonderfulfaison - Jan 18, 2015 at 9:02 AM

Mariotta will drop, I think and I believe Philly really wants him, so don’t count out a trade scenario. Teams always call to see if they can move up in the draft. Washington will definitely get some calls for that #5 spot.

• kenlinkins - Jan 18, 2015 at 9:22 AM

I agree that Mariotta will drop and maybe Philly would try to take him before the Jets pick at 6th, but I do not do a deal with Philly unless I get a ton of picks (i.e. Over value). In this case, Philly would try to move in the 4th spot as it would cost about them about the same thing (standard value vs. over paying a NFC East team). Besides, Philly could not be sure that the Redskins are not in the market for a QB with all the concerns with RG3.

• goback2rfk - Jan 18, 2015 at 10:00 AM

Mariotta will not drop. Jameis and Marcus will go 1 and 2. There is simply a lack of QB’s and a lack of QB talent in the NFL at the moment.

• captblood3000 - Jan 18, 2015 at 12:44 PM

Philly would have to give up a first and second this year and next year’s first to move from #20 to #6. Does Chip Kelly want Mariotta that much when Griffin might be available for cheap?

• Joe Greene - Jan 18, 2015 at 3:49 PM

You want Jailhouse Winston to drop and then draft him? The idiot was carried by a great WR in Benjamin and got completely exposed as the clueless buffoon he is this year. TDs way down, INTs way up, and the only thing that you can credit him with is “wins” which is stupid to give to one player who clearly got worse in every category and has the emotional maturity of a toddler. Ryan Leaf 2.0 would be an awful draft choice.

8. Stephfan - Jan 18, 2015 at 9:07 AM

The only thing wrong with the offense is Oline. So griffin had a bad year but lets not forget he was hurt. And did Kirk do anything? I don’t believe so.. So what he moved the offense but did he win? No, did he throw lots of ints yes he did. How quick every tedskins fans turn on griffin is sad… Everyone praised him during the Rookie year and now don’t want nothing to be done with him. The skins d is the biggest problem and been that way since 2010. They need to focus on getting the d rebuilt and the Oline. I’ll bet money if we let griffin walk he will go to another team and shine. And everyone on here will be like why didn’t we keep him. I’m telling you we shouldn’t give up on him. He is still young with loads of talent..but if I remember correctly a lot of you on here praised griffin when he beat the eagles? How quick so called redskinsnation fans turn on their qb

• goback2rfk - Jan 18, 2015 at 9:17 AM

No one was quick to turn on Griffin, he had a horrible 2013 season followed by a injury riddled horrible 2014 season. That is 2 years and in the NFL that is an eternity. Personally, I quit on him when he started that “all in” RG-me crap after 2012. He will get another chance next year so let us hope he has a big offseason.

• 3 rings - Jan 18, 2015 at 9:54 AM

Griffin is done. Stating healthy is part of the position and he can’t even make it past 2nd game of season without being hurt. He can’t read defenses in his 3rd yr and he doesn’t want to run anymore. He is a diva, diva qb’s don’t win consistently. Kirk has thrown it’s but every young qb does. Griffin would rather hold ball take a sack and fumble or get hurt so he turns ball over too. Kirk at least gives you a chance by moving ball and u don’t have to dumb down your offense for him like you have to do for Griffin. Kirl has only had a hand full of starts and hebis young as well. Give Kirk a full season and the Romo game plan where we run the ball 30 times a game and only ask him to pass ball 20-25 until he gets more experience

• bangkokben - Jan 18, 2015 at 3:03 PM

Anyone advocating for Kirk Cousins didn’t watch the Tennessee game. Worst team in the league and he couldn’t pull the #8 out of his bottom. Should have stayed with #12. C’mon Colt had to come in and change the narrative of the season. He had his chance and shat his pants.

• Joe Greene - Jan 18, 2015 at 3:54 PM

Tennessee was middle of the pack in pass defense this year.

• redskinsinrichmondva - Jan 18, 2015 at 7:18 PM

I hope you’re not using passing yards against to make that claim, because there are glaring flaws with that stat. Tennessee ranked in the bottom six in pass defense. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

By comparison, when Robert played the Dallas Cowboys — the same Robert whom you criticize for his performance — he played the 22nd best pass defense in the league.

• redskinsinrichmondva - Jan 18, 2015 at 10:26 AM

I think that Kirk Cousins can play (same with Robert), but these
      these commemts are funny. People, Kirk Cousins played in a pro-style offense in college. Robert did not. When he was started for Robert in 2013 — and for the exact same team as Robert — he was horrendous. When he started for Robert in 2014 — and in an offense that was supposedly tailored for his strengths — he was benched for a journeyman QB, he didn’t regain the starting job over that journeyman QB, and he wasn’t even on the active QB roster for several games. Like Robert, Cousins is also in his 4th season, except he hasn’t convinced any coach that he can retain the starting job for a season. If you’re so down on Robert, why do you think that Kirk is any more worthy of game reps?

• redskinsinrichmondva - Jan 18, 2015 at 7:08 PM

You didn’t answer the question. You already made your thoughts about Robert known.

Now, why can’t Kirk Cousins secure the starting job over the same QB that you dislike so much AND over a journeyman QB who’s on his 3rd team in five seasons?

• rayw218 - Jan 18, 2015 at 10:39 PM

Because Kirk has shown he can move the ball in this offense. He has shown he can make dynamic, anticipation throws down the field (watch highlights of Eagles, Seahawks, Cardinals games). Robert has not shown any of those things. The mistakes he has made are correctable and can be coached out of him.

• redskinsinrichmondva - Jan 19, 2015 at 12:39 PM

“Because Kirk has shown he can move the ball in this offense.”

That still doesn’t answer the question. I didn’t ask why he thinks Kirk Cousins is the better QB.

• polofourme - Jan 20, 2015 at 2:58 PM

There is ONE thing for sure, you simply can NOT have Griffin and Cousins on this roster next year. Either Cousins will have to go or Griffin will have to go….and maybe both but if Gruden has to carry Griffin at least thru TC, then Its Cousins that will be gone and that probably is in the best interests of Cousins and the team. I don’t believe by the time the season starts either will be on the team and that probably the best outcome for WAS.

• redskin21 - Jan 18, 2015 at 3:21 PM

I 100% agree. He’s learned different systems every year here. He’s been hurt and he’s still very young. Every day he matures that much more and get that much better. We keep him but we do have a QB comp to bring the very best outta him. I trust the GM tho I don’t like the alcoholic aspect it is what it is. If he can help us win I’m all for it. Griffin can lead this team. Our best play maker (d jax) has fully supported griffin and he sees him everyday and sees what us fans don’t. So stop hating on griffin. The olive gave him 2 2.5 secs tops last year. And a high school QB could beat our secondary last season. So work on that and we will improve. I love this team and they’re finally making good coaching decisions and hiring good front office people.

• Joe Greene - Jan 18, 2015 at 3:51 PM

Bob can’t play QB unless he’s running a gimmick offense. Put him in the pocket and watch him try to read a defense. It’s like watching Floyd Mayweather read a book, it’s just brutal. He can’t drop back properly, is deathly slow with his progressions, still throws off the wrong foot most of the time, and has absolutely no pocket awareness at all.

• redskinsinrichmondva - Jan 18, 2015 at 7:19 PM

9. joeyc252000 - Jan 18, 2015 at 9:16 AM

I think we need to focus on defense first in the draft..especially another rusher who can consistently get to the qb with kerrigan. I feel the offense was inept throughout the season because of the pressure they faced to almost have to score on each drive to stay in a game because our D couldn’t be relied on to stop anyone. If you have a dominant front who can make things difficult for opponents qb, it makes life a lot easier on the secondary. We should take best avai k able with first pick (most likely pass rusher) then safety second round..maybe ol third and fourth and also in free agency.

• Stephfan - Jan 18, 2015 at 9:20 AM

I agree with you our d couldn’t stop anyone not even the bic or rams…. If the d was better we would’ve won more games.

10. goback2rfk - Jan 18, 2015 at 9:57 AM

There is nothing to make me believe that this thing will get turned around at all. You guys were saying it was going to take about 2 – 3 years when Joe Gibbs cam back the 2nd time.

Just because we pick up a decent GM and a new def. coordinator does not change the fact that 85% of the Redskins roster is expendable. There is very little to build around here and the roster has more holes than swiss cheese. I do not think we will improve anytime soon. If RG3 does not shape up quickly, and we have to find a new qb, than he alone will have set the Redskins back 5 – 10 years.

• skinsgame - Jan 18, 2015 at 10:27 AM

5-10 years? Nonsense. I’ll agree, the team isn’t busting at the seams with talent but, this is still the NFL. Much of their roster would be improved with improved positional coaching and it appears the Redskins are doing just that. Callahan as an OL coach? Major coup. The new D coordinator will be bringing in better assistants as well. If the team still stinks at the end of 3 years, that would be proof the GM hire they made isn’t working out.

• gasngo14 - Jan 18, 2015 at 11:05 AM

It will all come down to whether Dan allows SM to bring in his own players without Dan’s interference. We just hired one of the best so now let’s hope we allow him to do what he is good at!

• deepball1 - Jan 18, 2015 at 11:10 PM

well if SM is allowed to work his magic then JG may have more success than MS had even though RG was the quarterback for both GM’s and TW was blocking for both. But still a lot depends if the draft SR or DS on defense and if VF gets the job or WP ends up with it. At least JZ is not coming back as head coach because we got rid of VC and so on O we won’t be bringing in another BP to call players.

• deepball1 - Jan 18, 2015 at 11:12 PM

P.S. see what its like when you use initials because you are too lazy to spell a name or because you believe everybody is a frikken mind reader.

• gasngo14 - Jan 19, 2015 at 7:29 AM

deepball1 I have ONE initial in my post …..if you don’t like it PLEASE DON’T READ MY POST!

It’s that simple my friend!

• redskinsinrichmondva - Jan 18, 2015 at 11:11 AM

And what would the Redskins have done with those draft picks that were traded for Griffin when Shanahan was calling the shots? They didn’t turn those picks into great teams; the Redskins were still cellar-dwellers before Griffin. You still have to draft correctly. Look at the Rams (the team that got their picks); they had their 3rd sub-.500 season in a row since 2012, and 2nd straight 4th-place finish. And that was with the 49ers having a down season. Heck, the Rams couldn’t even win against the Cardinals when the Cards were playing their backup QB!

Redskins fans have to look past those traded draft picks. We didnt have the personnel in place who would have done something with those picks anyway.

11. aj1time - Jan 18, 2015 at 11:01 AM

Rg3 is a 2 read wb,either a long ball or some form,of checkdown…if he gets a line, i think he’s ok and of course a line would improve the already good running game…i hope fangio and donatell come and try to tighten up that defense,thats the main problem imo…you’re not gonna score 24+ every game,i want to have the confidence that my defense can hold up in an ugly 12-7 game…

• deepball1 - Jan 18, 2015 at 11:14 PM

does wb stand for WETBACK and are you a racist? Or does it stand for WARNER BROTHERS and you are filming a movie with Rg3?

12. brucealmty - Jan 18, 2015 at 12:04 PM

Redskin rebuild??? — 20 years and counting.

• gasngo14 - Jan 18, 2015 at 12:19 PM

Very true…..but on a bright note we hired SM so hopefully Dan allows him to do what he is good at!

• Joe Greene - Jan 18, 2015 at 3:55 PM

The Skins haven’t even attempted a rebuild in that time which is a big part of why they’ve been mostly invisible for 20 years.

13. redskinscaio - Jan 18, 2015 at 1:26 PM

RGIII is a good young QB that a lot of teams around the league would love to have. The fans need to stop saying he is not any good. He is leagues ahead of Grossman, Campbell, Cousins, etc… He can outrun, outlift, out throw any of those guys 7 days a week. He’s got a stronger arm is my point and he’s taller. Give me a break with all this RGIII needs to go stuff. Also, the Skins gave up 4 incredibly high picks to get RGIII. Letting him go puts the team back another 8 or so years! Trust me, an upgrade or two in the offensive line and the SKins will win more games than they lose this year.

• gasngo14 - Jan 18, 2015 at 2:03 PM

So are you blaming rg3’s play on the OL ?

• Joe Greene - Jan 18, 2015 at 3:57 PM

Bob is taller than who? He’s barely 6’2″.

The reality is he can’t throw, can’t read a defense, can’t drop back, throws of the wrong foot, takes a ton of sacks, has no pocket presence, and can’t make his progressions quickly enough.

• deepball1 - Jan 18, 2015 at 11:16 PM

can’t really argue with anything you have said because most of them are simply facts. Although “BOB” is actually taller than 6’2 and not barely 6’2…and besides height does not appear to be his problem I didn’t understand why you brought up his height.????

• Joe Greene - Jan 19, 2015 at 3:01 AM

The original comment said one reason to keep him is that he’s “taller” than Cousins and McCoy. Bob is barely 6’2″ while Kirk is 6’3″. It’s just another sign of people prattling on here without a shred of evidence to support their nonsense.

• redskinsinrichmondva - Jan 19, 2015 at 12:45 PM

“It’s just another sign of people prattling on here without a shred of evidence to support their nonsense.”

Mr. Kettle, meet Mr. Pot.

14. red - Jan 18, 2015 at 2:53 PM

If memory serves me right we moved back a couple spots and drafted kerrigan. I was shocked but kerrigan is a beast. I would love to see that again. We all know the name guys out there. I hope we can trade back maybe get a guy we love but he grades out as a second round pick and get some great compensation

• goback2rfk - Jan 18, 2015 at 3:11 PM

Kerrigan has been strong for sure. I do not like his sack celebration but other than that he is cool.

• gasngo14 - Jan 18, 2015 at 3:17 PM

as long as he keeps making plays who cares?

• goback2rfk - Jan 18, 2015 at 4:26 PM

I do not really care, i was just saying..

15. goback2rfk - Jan 18, 2015 at 4:26 PM

Wow Russel Wilson doing his best Kirk Cousins impersonation with 3 INT’s in the 1st half.. ouch!

• gasngo14 - Jan 18, 2015 at 4:31 PM

it happens to the best of them!

• Joe Greene - Jan 18, 2015 at 8:59 PM

And the game when Cousins had 3 first half INTs?

16. nomaan78 - Jan 18, 2015 at 8:30 PM

RG3 is our future. Its too early to give up on him. We need to develop him. 1 Successful year followed by a year of injury and lack of offseason, followed by another year of injury and coaching change. Give RG3 an offensive line and a defense so that he doesn’t have to carry the team on his back.

• Joe Greene - Jan 18, 2015 at 8:59 PM

If Bob is the future then we have no future.

• redskinsinrichmondva - Jan 18, 2015 at 9:57 PM

And yet you like Cousins, a 4th-round QB who was benched for someone who’s on his 3rd team in five seasons.

The double standards are real, folks.

• Stephfan - Jan 19, 2015 at 7:11 PM

Agreed

17. nomaan78 - Jan 18, 2015 at 10:22 PM

Teams can go worst to first in 1 year. Redskins do have some talent on both sides of the ball.
    Here is my mock offseason hoping it could make our team better in 1 year

FA
    Devin McCourty FS NEget
    Mike Iupati OG SF
    Shareece Wright CB SD

Draft

Cleveland trades up to get WR. Trade 1st round 5th overall and Kirk Cousins to Cleveland for 12th overall pick, and their 2nd round pick (43) and 4th round pick. CLE drafts Amari Cooper. As Leonard Williams and Randy Gregory are taken already.

1st. (12th overall) Andrus Peat OT Stanford

New OL

Trent Williams, Mike iupati, Cameron Erving, Spencer Long, Andrus Peat

New Secondary

CB’s Shareece Wright, Bashaud Breeland, David Amerson, Marcus Peters
    FS Devin McCourty Derron Smith
    SS Phillip Thomas, Jordan Richards

Hopefully Trent Murphy can develop into something like Ryan Kerrigan, and give us what Orakpo couldn’t

We will have to stick with Hatcher, Baker, and Cofield for now. But the defense is much improved and the O-line is as well. HTTR!! Hire Fangio Already.

• nomaan78 - Jan 18, 2015 at 10:33 PM

And here comes Mean Joe Greene about to tell me not to post my mocks. Just having fun Mr Mean Joe. I know Cameron Erving or Marcus Peters may not drop out of the 1st let alone to mid second. Yea my trade is dumb and not gonna happen either, But its my mock!!

• deepball1 - Jan 18, 2015 at 11:05 PM

you must have some wonderful dreams at night. Of course when you wake up you ARE required to rejoin the REAL world.

• Joe Greene - Jan 19, 2015 at 3:10 AM

Crack kills your brain cells folks. This is Exhibit A.

Shareece Wright is terrible. Of course, you don’t actually know who plays where or if they’re good, so that’s not surprising.

Jordan Richards is small for a SS, yet you have him being taken by our GM that publicly stated that big players win.

The Cleveland trade is literally insane.

You want Marcus Peters despite the fact that he’s a piece of crap who got kicked off his college team because he was constantly fighting with his coaches. That’s a freaking brilliant idea.

You’ve got Henry Anderson listed as a DE/OLB despite the fact that he’s 290lbs.

Seriously, do you just pick names out of a hat without any idea about who they are or if they’re any good?

• nomaan78 - Jan 19, 2015 at 8:21 AM

I knew this was coming. Just having some fun dude. Relax Mr. know it all. Marcus Peters will likely get selected in the first round regardless of whatever happened in Washington. Not every player has to be peachy clean mama’s boy to be a Redskin. Who knows why he really got booted off the team. Shareece Wright has been a starter in the league and pretty decent at his job, would be a cheap option to add veteran depth to our young secondary. Richards may be small but he can cover and lay a hit and is the 4th best SS on cbssports.com. Henry Anderson would be a DE in our defense and I mistakenly mistyped his position. Not every player will be 6’3 on our team just because GM said big players win. You look at talent and speed as well. You wanna try some of my crack? It will make you feel better.

• Joe Greene - Jan 19, 2015 at 4:46 PM

How is it “fun” to legitimately not have any idea who players are or what positions they play? How is it “fun” to suggest drafting a kid who was a massive problem and got kicked off his team for being a royal prick with a valuable 2nd rounder when we need guys who produce right now without distraction? How is it “fun” to list a 290lb guy as a DE/OLB?

I wouldn’t consider it fun to be completely clueless every time you post something. But, since you consider it fun, go ahead and tell us more about signing guys like “Lamar” Houston.

18. deepball1 - Jan 18, 2015 at 11:01 PM

I wonder if Scott M. is full of surprises and will take Danny Shelton with the 5th pick. Scott loves big men and Shelton is this decades version of Baltimore’s Haloti Ngata.

• Joe Greene - Jan 19, 2015 at 3:11 AM

Are you serious? You can’t really think that that’s a good idea. McCloughan is not going to spend the 5th pick on a borderline 1st rounder.

19. deepball1 - Jan 18, 2015 at 11:23 PM

any franchise can turn around in ONE year if the right coaching is in place, the right players are brought in, and if the players already there fit the new system and buy into it. And this is why Scott M. was brought in as General Manager and why coaching changes are being made all over the damn place.

As far as Griffin goes, Gruden hit the nail on the head and said what everybody was afraid to say: “the audition is OVER…………and Robert has been CODDLED”. wow…how is THAT for a slap in the face and a wake me up coffee? Mr. RG3 is going to have to work harder in the FILM ROOM and less on his Biceps if he wants to play QB in the NFL or he will go down the road with Jason Campbell and be a backup quarterback.

20. mr.moneylover - Jan 19, 2015 at 7:06 AM

I think it can be two years atleast but redskins gotta stop letting talent walk out the door..like this free agency coming up there gonna be a few good o-linemen on the market will they go after one or two ?? probably not and that will make the process slower to see results…and do we have to still question if we got the right coaches to coach these players up…its time for a change and if they hire Joe barry redskins will be back to square one they need a coach with a good track record somebody they can respect and listen too

• mr.moneylover - Jan 19, 2015 at 7:20 AM

David amerson will have to be replace if he dont work on his technique and improve his game mentally

21. mr.moneylover - Jan 19, 2015 at 7:18 AM

If scot m. Feels he can get better talent out of the draft kirk cousins get traded to Cleveland for a third round pick…scot m. Want better talent around the QB postion…he said a qb shouldnt have to always carry a team on his back to win a game…rg3 can improve if he learns how to read defense and know when to take a three step dropback or a 5 step dropback

• brucealmty - Jan 19, 2015 at 8:40 AM

The fact that rg3 has not learned to read defenses or know when to take a 3-step or 5-step drop should tell you all you need to know about his NFL ability & future. That said, he gets one more year to prove he has starter ability.

• redskinsinrichmondva - Jan 19, 2015 at 8:05 PM

That ability and future was highly regarded by everyone in the league as he entered the draft.

And that was without the benefit of playing in a pro-style offense in college.

22. rebelsrevelations - Jan 19, 2015 at 11:35 AM

Rich, one would think that with this being our new GM’s first season with his newest project, he might have to go to FA more than usual. We have the funds to go for at least one guy at positions of need, especially if we unload some aging players, and some “dead weight” at other positions!
    To grab a few jewels off free agency, along with some timely selections in the upcoming draft, could turn this team into something to fear in the 2015 season! We may, or may not make the playoffs next season, but the important thing is to return to respectability ASAP! And that can only happen with better players where we need them, immediately!

23. polofourme - Jan 20, 2015 at 3:13 PM

The debate over whether Cousins or Griffin will be on the team at the beginning of next season is a mute point neither will be on the team and our starting QB is not on the roster at this point. We absolutely can not start next season with both of them on the team. So as long as Snyder can protect Griffin during TC and preseason but with Cousins gone, Griffin will simply play himself off the team and our starter will come from a FA acquisition. So, its not likely either Griffin or Cousins will be around and that’s probably the best outcome for the team. Our team simply needs to move on from one of the worst draft decisions in NFL history.