Jan 9, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
The Redskins will introduce Scot McCloughan at a press conference today at noon. Here are some questions that the team’s first true general manager since 1999 that are likely to be asked.
When did the possibility of McCloughan coming to Washington first come up? There are some who suspect that the Redskins acted after all of the negative fallout following Bruce Allen’s disastrous New Year’s Eve press conference. That’s possible but it’s likely that this goes further back.
What’s his take of the team’s quarterback situation? McCloughan won’t have a definitive answer here but he certainly studied Robert Griffin III and Kirk Cousins coming out of college and has developed some opinion on them.
What does the power structure look like? I doubt that we can get them to draw up a specific organizational chart as to who has authority in specific areas but we can at least get a statement on the record that McCloughan will be in charge of all football personnel matters.
What does he think of Jay Gruden? The head coach and McCloughan have never worked together but they may know each other; the NFL is a fairly tight circle. It’s assumed that Gruden will coach the team in 2015 but we should find out if he is on a “prove it” basis.
What’s the status on hiring a defensive coordinator? This may or may not be something in which McCloughan is involved heavily; that’s one of the things we will have to find out. But whether we get the information from him or from Allen, we’ll try to get some light shed on where they are in the process.
What is his vision for how the football team will look in four years? Does he want a power team as opposed to finesse? Size over speed? What about the culture in the locker room and the culture of the organization as a whole?
Has he put his personal issues behind him? This might not be an appropriate question in a news conference under most circumstances. However he let his problems with alcohol out for the public to see in an ESPN magazine article so it’s fair to ask him about them.
What would you like the media to as McCloughan? Let me know in the comments.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins vs Browns Preview: 5 things to know as Washington looks to get even
- Enemy Intel: Tandler looks around the NFL—What's up with Dez?
- More talk of Redskins OC Sean McVay as head coach - but this time on college level
- Need to Know: Five Redskins who are under pressure to perform against the Browns
- Redskins' Josh Norman elected alternate NFLPA rep weeks after criticizing union
- Josh Norman fined for rough play against Giants
- Cravens declared NFL Clutch Performer of the Week
- Despite focus on Terrelle Pryor, Redskins need to stop Browns run game
- Redskins-Browns injury report: Doctson, two starters out for Washington
- Redskins Playbook: Determining rotation of Trent Murphy, Ryan Kerrigan and Preston Smith