Need to Know: Redskins’ GM McCloughan–‘It’s a big man’s game’

Jan 9, 2015, 5:26 AM EDT

Jackson-vs-Texans

Here is what you need to know on this Friday, January 9, 60 days before NFL free agency starts

Three and out—Only big bodies need apply

1. In looking around to read as much as I can on Scot McCloughan there is one point that comes up frequently—he like big guys. “I’ll never lose sight of this and maybe I’m a dinosaur in this, but it’s a big man’s game,” he said at the 2010 NFL Combine when he was the GM of the 49ers.

2. So, don’t look for the Redskins to draft that undersized but feisty linebacker or a small but high-motor defensive lineman. And you have to think that 295-lb. center Kory Lichtensteiger and 5-10, 178-lb. wide receiver DeSean Jackson may not have long futures with the team. As to the future of the latter player, John Keim of ESPN noted that McCloughan drafted eight receivers at San Francisco and all but one were at least six feet tall and five were 6-1 or taller. And if the Redskins stick with the 3-4 defense it’s hard not to be very pessimistic on the future of Barry Cofield, who is not the traditional big-body nose tackle that is usually in the middle of the line in that scheme.

3. However, it’s not a hard and fast rule. When they were evaluating 5-10 quarterback Russell Wilson before the 2012 draft, McCloughan wrote this in his report: “Obviously we are really interested in passers with better height, but this guy may just be the exception to the rule. He has the ‘it’ factor.” We saw how that pick turned out in last year’s Super Bowl.

Out: As noted here yesterday it is going to take a while for McCloughan to build the Redskins the way he wants to. It’s not just a matter of getting good players, it’s a matter of getting the right kind of good players (i.e. big players) and then giving them some time to develop.

—It’s been 12 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be about 247 days until they play another one

Days until: NFL free agency starts 60; 2015 NFL Draft 111

If you have any questions about what’s going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.

Follow Real Redskins on Instagram @RichTandler

1. gasngo14 - Jan 9, 2015 at 7:58 AM

Can we say the HOGS WILL BE BACK?

2. villred - Jan 9, 2015 at 8:42 AM

if Djax and Lichtenstiger produce results on the field, teh GM wont need to replace them

3. mr.moneylover - Jan 9, 2015 at 9:19 AM

I can say now the GM gonna want to keep djax around but guys like ryan grant or andre roberts will be in question….but after p.garcon and djax I expect redskins to get big at WR…I would like to see santana moss starting at the slot postion

• Rich Tandler - Jan 9, 2015 at 9:24 AM

Maybe I’m a little overconfident with this, but I have as much of a chance of starting at slot receiver as a 36-year-old Santana Moss.

• alextwrs - Jan 9, 2015 at 11:39 AM

Ryan Grant is 6’1, he also plays bigger than that and looks lankier than his bio numbers, as well. Andre isnt going anywhere either. Sorry lover

• mr.moneylover - Jan 10, 2015 at 4:41 PM

Santana moss can still play hes better then andre roberts playing that slot postion…andre roberts drop some easy passes all year long

4. Nico - Jan 9, 2015 at 9:22 AM

dont touch DJax,the bigest playmaker on our team!!!!

5. mario - Jan 9, 2015 at 9:23 AM

He would be foolish to get rid of Jackson. Kid has played hard and produced. Kory..can be upgraded. The entire line needs to be upgraded. Trent is the man.

6. polofourme - Jan 9, 2015 at 10:31 AM

I have always said, bigger is better in the NFL especially in a division like the NFC E, which built its reputation in the League as the home of smash mouth football. And it time WAS got back to that kind of play. The old Hogs did just that. They focused on the guy in front of him…and his first job was to beat that person. We used to run a play, the counter trey run…we would basically tell the team we were going to run that play and dared teams to stop us..thats dominating the line of scrimmage. Football isn’t rocket science, its blocking, tackling, running, throwing and catching. When you can dominate at the fundamental level you can dominate opponents. I do like 3yrds and a cloud of smoke…that’s how you wear down a D…that’s you grind out every play. Its not fancy, its glamorous,Its become old fashion but its the way you can win games and winning in the NFL is all the NFL is about. So getting bigger IMO leads to getting better and like all fans, that’s all I want to see

7. James Bridges - Jan 9, 2015 at 11:39 AM

I truly believe and it hurts me to say but I think that Moss, and Roberts are gone, I think we might draft maybe one or two big receivers to compliment, Djax, Garcon, Grant, and Hankerson is Hankerson stay’s.

• mr.moneylover - Jan 10, 2015 at 4:45 PM

Sorry but hankerson is gone…he gave hankerson one chance to show him what hes got and he had a penalty called on him on his first play

8. deepball1 - Jan 9, 2015 at 11:46 AM

but WAIT…Jim Haslett says that Barry Cofield is the best nose tackle in the game…we can’t get rid of him. lol Seriously I have been begging for a 340 pound nose tackle for 4 years now.

and regarding the receivers…I think MANY of us have been wondering why the Skins have this fetish for tiny receivers. Why the Redskins have simply REFUSED to either draft or gotten a free agent who is 6’2 or better???

Last year I lobbied for the Skins to bring in Kenny Britt and Rich Campbell argued with me that he was nothing. Instead, the Skins brought in Roberts who did nothing but drop passes while catching 36. Meanwhile Britt caught 48 balls on a team with a worse QB situation that Washington had. Go figure.

• mr.moneylover - Jan 10, 2015 at 4:48 PM

Agree with your point about nose tackle postion…its a big risk to bring in kenny britt for redskins

9. alextwrs - Jan 9, 2015 at 11:52 AM

Switch to a 4-3, please.

10. charley42 - Jan 9, 2015 at 12:07 PM

As long as he produces – even like last year – DJax better stay here for a long time!!!!

11. vtsquirm - Jan 9, 2015 at 1:36 PM

Moss is gone, Hankerson will probably be gone… I think Roberts will be around for at least another season but he may slip to WR #4 if we get another bigger WR.

We definitely need some more beef on the Oline… young beef. Chester needs to go for sure and Polumbus is a free agent. Lavauo sucks but he just signed last year so we probably won’t cut him yet. I’d like to see Long & LeRib come in and take hold of the positions in training camp.

• mr.moneylover - Jan 10, 2015 at 4:49 PM

12. shermanp79 - Jan 9, 2015 at 2:39 PM

Well I agree with him. I have written many times over the past few years a true NT is needed. I also have said we need a “big” WR, it would help our RZ efficiency. I wish they Drafted Bryant or Moncrief last year. They were two guys I mentioned prior to the Draft. I don’t know what Grant will become but he should of been able to beat Roberts out for playing time if he was anything special. Right now Moses is looking like a long project, they could of grabbed either of those guys instead. I guess time will tell. I don’t know if Cooper becomes another Julio Jones but a guy like that would help this team. The last big WR we took early was Westbrook many, many years ago. We need a S badly so if Collins grades out and truly is a coverage S, I understand and would be fine with that pick. If he likes size, I’m sure if Suh is available, he is a guy they talk about. He may be a bonehead at times but no doubt he can change a defense. We need impact players. If we can get pressure, this defense looks totally different, even with the guys here. Yes, we need some changes but look at the Dallas game. It will be interesting to see their plan unfold. We have to bring in some FAs, we just need the right guys. They need to bring in youth, bringing in older guys now is a waste, you use them to get you over the hump, not up the hill.

• brucealmty - Jan 9, 2015 at 3:52 PM

Redskins don’t need all-stars from the 5th pick, they need multiple upgrades by trading back half a dozen spots and acquiring picks. imo
      Regarding Suh: same philosophy applies, don’t spend all the FA money on 1 player–address 5 positions with C+ / B- upgrades.

• Joe Greene - Jan 9, 2015 at 4:53 PM

Absolutely spot on.

• Joe Greene - Jan 9, 2015 at 5:02 PM

Collins is not a cover safety at all. I’m really hoping for Holliman, but there’s also 3-4 guys in the 2nd or 3rd round range that should be able to start at FS by the end of their rookie year, they just don’t have a ton of upside.

13. brucealmty - Jan 9, 2015 at 3:00 PM

This roster is going to get a thorough revamping this year and next just to lay a foundation. I expect a 50% turnover these next 2 yrs; potential players will be flying in and out of training camp. There will be no such thing as a set roster for the Redskins. It will be exciting to watch.

14. Joe Greene - Jan 9, 2015 at 5:01 PM

If we stick with the 3-4, I’m hoping this means our big money FA is Terrance Knighton. He’s a monster NT who should be able to play even more snaps once he’s out of Denver.

Add Jared Odrick from Miami as the DE opposite Hatcher and we’ve got a legit DL in place.

This GM plus this philosophy also makes me think we’ll be a player for Mike Iupati or Clint Boling since he’s got size, is a good OG, and played in Gruden’s system in Cincy. Or maybe we just go for Orlando Franklin since he’s 6’7″ 320 and can play LG (very well) and RT (okay).

15. bowlregard - Jan 9, 2015 at 8:14 PM

It would seem the new GM will see eye to eye with Gruden on the need to get bigger on the OL.

16. wonderfulfaison - Jan 10, 2015 at 12:13 PM

Thank you, I agree with all of the comments on DJax… McCloughan will not let him go.

• samhuff96 - Jan 10, 2015 at 12:56 PM

DJax has the “it’ factor.