Jan 9, 2015, 5:26 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, January 9, 60 days before NFL free agency starts
Three and out—Only big bodies need apply
1. In looking around to read as much as I can on Scot McCloughan there is one point that comes up frequently—he like big guys. “I’ll never lose sight of this and maybe I’m a dinosaur in this, but it’s a big man’s game,” he said at the 2010 NFL Combine when he was the GM of the 49ers.
2. So, don’t look for the Redskins to draft that undersized but feisty linebacker or a small but high-motor defensive lineman. And you have to think that 295-lb. center Kory Lichtensteiger and 5-10, 178-lb. wide receiver DeSean Jackson may not have long futures with the team. As to the future of the latter player, John Keim of ESPN noted that McCloughan drafted eight receivers at San Francisco and all but one were at least six feet tall and five were 6-1 or taller. And if the Redskins stick with the 3-4 defense it’s hard not to be very pessimistic on the future of Barry Cofield, who is not the traditional big-body nose tackle that is usually in the middle of the line in that scheme.
3. However, it’s not a hard and fast rule. When they were evaluating 5-10 quarterback Russell Wilson before the 2012 draft, McCloughan wrote this in his report: “Obviously we are really interested in passers with better height, but this guy may just be the exception to the rule. He has the ‘it’ factor.” We saw how that pick turned out in last year’s Super Bowl.
Out: As noted here yesterday it is going to take a while for McCloughan to build the Redskins the way he wants to. It’s not just a matter of getting good players, it’s a matter of getting the right kind of good players (i.e. big players) and then giving them some time to develop.
—It’s been 12 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be about 247 days until they play another one
—Days until: NFL free agency starts 60; 2015 NFL Draft 111
If you have any questions about what’s going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
In case you missed it
- It’s official: Redskins announce McCloughan
- Is Wade Phillips the frontrunner?
- Bobby Beathard is a ‘fan’ of new Redskins GM Scot McCloughan
- McCloughan’s first Seahawks stint was also a success
- Redskins offensive line ranks No. 12. Wait, what?
- Kyle Shanahan out in Cleveland
- Report: Chiefs’ assistant declines interview with Redskins
- Will Redskins fans be patient enough for rebuilding with the draft?
- Report: Giants ask to interview Raheem Morris for DC
Follow Us On Twitter
- Paisano's Facebook Live: Ryan Kerrigan takes your pre-Week 4 questions
- Browns WR Josh Gordon decides he needs to enter rehab
- Gruden presser wrapup: Redskins' Jackson should be ready for Browns
- Duke Ihenacho: Obviously I want to be playing but it's the coach's decision
- Signed off Redskins practice squad, center Austin Reiter could start for Browns
- Redskins have been protecting Kirk Cousins well
- Redskins Playbook: Nothing certain for Redskins at left guard
- Many changes in Redskins secondary but David Bruton healthy, ready to go
- After shadowing Odell Beckham, Redskins have different plans for Josh Norman against Terrelle Pryor
- Redskins rookie Robert Kelley has funny, honest reaction to his first NFL carries