Jan 6, 2015, 5:02 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Tuesday, January 6, 63 days before NFL free agency starts
Three and out—
1. After DeMarcus Lawrence sacked Matthew Stafford to clinch the Cowboys’ playoff win over the Lions, a number of people on Twitter remembered that Dallas had acquired the pick that they used to take Lawrence in a trade with the Redskins. Washington swapped places in the second round with the Cowboys, moving back from 34th to 47th, and getting Dallas’ third-round pick (78th). Of course, these people were outraged that the Cowboys’ hero had come from a pick originally owned by the Redskins.
2. I don’t think that Redskins fans would have been too happy if Washington had taken Lawrence with the 34th pick. Due to an injury, he played in only six games and posted eight tackles and zero sacks. I think that the “bust” word would be getting thrown around a lot.
3. Time will tell. Call me in a couple of years and we can see how Lawrence is doing and how Trent Murphy, who had 22 tackles and 2.5 sacks in 13 games, and guard Spencer Long, the two players picked with the Cowboys’ two selections, are doing It may well turn out that the Redskins got the short end of the stick but we won’t know until, say, after the 2016 season.
Out: The media peppered Bruce Allen with questions at his news conference last Wednesday. There was question that went unasked that, in light of talk of A. J. Smith or Scot McCloughan coming on board at Redskins Park, is important. Nobody asked if Allen might give up his final say over personnel decisions if he and Dan Snyder thought that it would help the team win. He was not asked directly but he hinted that he might be willing to step aside from his GM duties. “I don’t mean to be repetitive, but if we can find a winning formula that’s going to help this team win on the football field, we’ll absolutely do it, and that includes me,” he said in answer to a question on if there was a possibility that someone could be brought in to oversee football operations. That’s not definitive but it does leave the door open. So, stay tuned.
—It’s been 9 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be about 249 days until they play another one
—Days until: NFL free agency starts 63; 2015 NFL Draft 114
If you have any questions about what’s going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
In case you missed it
- Cap outlook: Interior O-line
- 2015 Redskins position outlook: Interior offensive line
- Report: Redskins reach out to former 49ers, Seahawks exec
- Will Chester be the 2015 starter at right guard?
- Revisiting Redskins/Cowboys draft trade: Murphy or Lawrence?
- Should the Redskins draft a right tackle at No. 5?
Follow Us On Twitter
- New RedskinsTalk Podcast - Injury trouble emerges after Giant win
- Redskins Playbook: Lots of moving parts with injuries on O-line, secondary
- Redskins forced to shuffle interior O-line again
- Redskins Hopkins named NFC special teams player of the week
- The Sports Junkies on Odell Beckham Jr.: 'He's a wreck'
- Redskins Stat Breakdown: Washington runs its way to victory
- Need to Know: First thoughts on Redskins vs. Browns—Too obvious to be a trap
- Redskins announce Lichtensteiger, Hall to injured reserve, two players signed
- Redskins move Kory Lichtensteiger to IR, make add at center, per report
- With DeAngelo Hall done for the year, Redskins try out former Gators safety