Jan 6, 2015, 4:50 PM EDT
—Will Jay Gruden stay on as the head coach? A general manager will often have the authority to name his own head coach. We don’t know what McCloughan thinks of Gruden, who went 4-12 in his rookie season as an NFL head coach. It’s possible that McCloughan will use this as an evaluation year for Gruden and then decide what to do in January of 2016.
—What does this mean for the future of QB Robert Griffin III with the Redskins? McCloughan will not be tied by what was done by the previous administration so the fact that they spend three first-round picks and a second to get Griffin won’t be much of a factor in his thinking when evaluating the most important position on the field. When Kevin Sheehan of ESPN 980 asked him about the quarterback situation on Tuesday afternoon, he said that he’s “not sure yet”.
—Will he have the autonomy to do the job? It would be hard to imagine McCloughan, who had interest from other teams, would come in without the proper authority to do his job written into his contract. But we will have to see.
—What happens to the Redskins’ existing personnel department? Scott Campbell, the head of college scouting, Alex Santos, in charge of pro personnel, personnel executive Doug Williams, and others have been in charge of acquiring talent for the Redskins presumably will be evaluated by the new sheriff in town to see if they will stick around. We will also see if McCloughan will expand the scouting staff, which is one of the smallest in the NFL.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins vs Giants Preview: 5 things you need to know as 'Skins get desperate
- Tandler's Redskins-centric look around the NFL, Week 3
- Redskins Gruden on rookie Kendall Fuller: He's just the odd man out, for now
- Need to Know: Five Redskins who are under pressure against the Giants
- How Dr. Robin West handles when Redskins and Nationals players get hurt
- Redskins injury report: DeSean Jackson, Trent Williams good to go for Giants game
- Redskins' Preston Smith hasn't had start he wanted, but knows 'anything can happen'
- Redskins Playbook: Still lots of questions on defensive line
- Redskins vs. Giants Week 3 Preview, predictions, storylines, betting odds
- Need to Know: Around Redskins Park—Will things start to click for Cousins?