Jan 5, 2015, 5:17 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Monday, January 5, 64 days before NFL free agency starts
Three and out—Why the Redskins won’t draft Scherff at five (and why they will)
1. Last week we put up a post about Iowa offensive tackle Brandon Scherff before he played in his team’s bowl game. He is a popular pick for the Redskins in mock drafts and is rapidly becoming a fan favorite as well. Scherff could well be available when the Redskins’ pick at fifth overall. The question the Redskins will ask themselves is if fifth is too high to take a player destined to be a right tackle. That’s assuming that they will lock up Trent Williams after his contract expires. The right tackle position simply isn’t considered to be important enough to justify a pick that high.
2. But on the other hand, right tackle has been a position of need for the Redskins since Jon Jansen left after the 2008 season. Whether it’s been plugging in undrafted free agent Stephon Heyer, trading for Jamaal Brown, or moving street free agent Tyler Polumbus in there, it hasn’t worked. The weak link in the line has hurt the passing game and the running game. Why not get a quality player in there and be done with the position for the next decade? There’s a lot to be said for not overthinking the situation.
3. We have a long way to go until the draft and there is plenty of time for rankings to change and to sort out strategy. Oh, and don’t forget there’s free agency between now and then and that affects needs. Just something to start thinking about when as things develop.
Out: The important thing to remember about the draft is that it’s not like grocery shopping. You don’t go to Aisle 1 and get a tackle and then to Aisle 2 for a safety. You never know exactly what’s going to be there when it’s time to put something in your cart. And if you overpay for many of your items, it’s going to be a bad bag of groceries no matter how badly you needed the items in that bag.
—It’s been 8 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be about 250 days until they play another one
—Days until: NFL free agency starts 64; 2015 NFL Draft 115
If you have any questions about what’s going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- New RedskinsTalk Podcast - Injury trouble emerges after Giant win
- Redskins Playbook: Lots of moving parts with injuries on O-line, secondary
- Redskins forced to shuffle interior O-line again
- Redskins Hopkins named NFC special teams player of the week
- The Sports Junkies on Odell Beckham Jr.: 'He's a wreck'
- Redskins Stat Breakdown: Washington runs its way to victory
- Need to Know: First thoughts on Redskins vs. Browns—Too obvious to be a trap
- Redskins announce Lichtensteiger, Hall to injured reserve, two players signed
- Redskins move Kory Lichtensteiger to IR, make add at center, per report
- With DeAngelo Hall done for the year, Redskins try out former Gators safety