Jan 4, 2015, 6:31 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, January 4, 116 days before the Redskins make their pick in the first round of the 2015 NFL draft.
Three and out—Redskins casting a wide net
1. The Redskins now have another couple of names in the pool to be their next defensive coordinator. Wade Phillips is set to interview sometime in the next several days. Jim Schwartz, former Titans and current Bills defensive coordinator and former Lions head coach, will not talk to the Redskins, at least not immediately. The Bills have denied the Redskins request to talk to Schwartz.
2. I didn’t add it up but I’m guessing that Phillips has more experience as a defensive coordinator than all of the other candidates put together. He has run an NFL defense in 23 seasons. Phillips also was a head coach for nine seasons. In both of those roles his defenses have been in the top 12 in the NFL in yards allowed 18 times and in the top 12 in points allowed 15 times.
3. Is age just a number? Phillips will be 68 in June and some are saying that the Redskins should go with a younger guy at this job, which requires 80 hours a week or more during the season. But the number itself shouldn’t be a deal breaker. They should undertake some due diligence and find out if he was showing his age from 2011-2013 in Houston, where he led defenses that were in the top 10 in yardage all three of his years there and top 10 in scoring defense in two of the three. Check out what players and coaches from there have to say about Phillips and then take it from there.
Out: Don’t look for the Redskins to make a quick decision on this hire. They will wait and sift through the possible candidates from the teams that are eliminated from the playoffs this weekend and they might even wait until after the divisional playoff round to see who’s available to interview after that. Certainly they will want to wait until the head coaching jobs in Buffalo and San Francisco are filled to see if Schwartz and/or Vic Fangio will become available. The organization may have a favored candidate or two but they likely will give a number of others a chance to change their minds.
—It’s been 7 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be about 251 days until they play another one
—Days until: NFL free agency starts 66; 2015 NFL Draft 116
If you have any questions about what’s going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
In case you missed it
- Phillips to interview with Redskins
- Would Redskins take the risk on Ravens safety Will Hill?
- Will Cardinals NT Dan Williams be a Redskins free agent target?
- Key dates for the Redskins in 2015
- Redskins draft prospect watch: Gator linebacker could be a perfect fit
- Kelly wins Eagles power struggle–now what?
- How much can A. J. Smith help the Redskins?
- Wild Card picks and fantasy heroes
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins vs Giants Preview: 5 things you need to know as 'Skins get desperate
- Tandler's Redskins-centric look around the NFL, Week 3
- Redskins Gruden on rookie Kendall Fuller: He's just the odd man out, for now
- Need to Know: Five Redskins who are under pressure against the Giants
- How Dr. Robin West handles when Redskins and Nationals players get hurt
- Redskins injury report: DeSean Jackson, Trent Williams good to go for Giants game
- Redskins' Preston Smith hasn't had start he wanted, but knows 'anything can happen'
- Redskins Playbook: Still lots of questions on defensive line
- Redskins vs. Giants Week 3 Preview, predictions, storylines, betting odds
- Need to Know: Around Redskins Park—Will things start to click for Cousins?