Jan 2, 2015, 6:52 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, January 2, 118 days before the Redskins make their pick in the first round of the 2015 NFL draft.
Three and out—Will the Redskins actually build through the draft?
1. The Redskins have started their search for a defensive coordinator with a couple of very intriguing possibilities from the 49ers. Vic Fangio is the current defensive coordinator in San Francisco and Ed Donatell is their secondary coach. The two have been with the 49ers and they have been in the top five in the league in both scoring defense and yards allowed every year but this past one, when they were 10th in scoring. Yes, that has been their “down” year. Of course, they have had some top talent to work with, All-Pro players like Aldon Smith and Patrick Willis. Still, a couple of quality candidates from the outside.
2. There wasn’t much encouraging for Redskins fans during Bruce Allen’s press conference on Wednesday. However, if you dig deep you find this this one quote that should encourage you. “The key is to make sure we take advantage of the draft,” he said when asked about building the team’s base of talent. “In an NFL with a growing cap, free agency is not going to be your solution. It’s going to come mostly through the draft. If we did one thing right last year, we were tempted to make some trades to acquire a player or two but we wanted to make sure our Draft was intact for 2015 and all the future years.”
3. So it appears that they turned down some trade offers that would have cost them some draft picks. It also looks like they might be out of the business of trying to buy a Super Bowl through free agency. That sounds good. But it’s one thing to say you want to build through the draft and another to pick the right players who can make the roster and develop into solid starters. But if you take Allen at his word the Redskins may be rebuilding. Of course, he didn’t use the word but if you’re going to make the draft the primary way of improving a 4-12 team, well, that’s the definition of the word.
Out: Many have Alabama safety Landon Collins penciled in as the Redskins’ pick at No. 5 overall, assuming that the junior decides to declare for the draft. He’s a very good player but he strictly an in-the-box safety who sometimes plays more like an extra linebacker. In last night’s Sugar Bowl he stayed down a couple of times after making tackles and if he struggles with the physicality of the Buckeyes he could have issues in the NFL. Yes, the Redskins desperately need two safeties but you can’t reach for need, especially not at that point in the draft.
—It’s been 5 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be about 255 days until they play another one
—Days until: NFL free agency starts 68; 2015 NFL Draft 118
If you have any questions about what’s going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. I’ll answer all questions as soon as I can get to them. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
In case you missed it
- New defensive coordinator just a start
- Redskins get permission to interview 49ers assistant for DC job
- Despite struggles, Redskins intend to return to Richmond
- Redskins draft prospect watch: ‘Bama, Buckeyes with elite talent
- Redskins draft prospect watch: Winston, Mariota face off at Rose Bowl
- Redskins’ Allen does little to inspire confidence
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins' Josh Norman elected alternate NFLPA rep weeks after criticizing union
- Josh Norman fined for rough play against Giants
- Cravens declared NFL Clutch Performer of the Week
- Despite focus on Terrelle Pryor, Redskins need to stop Browns run game
- Redskins-Browns injury report: Doctson, two starters out for Washington
- Redskins Playbook: Determining rotation of Trent Murphy, Ryan Kerrigan and Preston Smith
- Martrell Spaight loses bet to Deshazor Everett - Instagram photo shows true disappointment
- Bonus #RedskinsTalk: Will Blackmon talks replacing D-Hall and Game of Thrones
- Need to Know: Tracking the lineup changes around Redskins Park
- Paisano's Facebook Live: Ryan Kerrigan takes your pre-Week 4 questions