Dec 28, 2014, 6:08 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, December 28, 123 days before the first round of the 2015 NFL draft.
Three and out—One last 2014 roster shuffle
1. The Redskins made their final roster shuffle of the 2014 season yesterday when they put DE Jason Hatcher on injured reserve and claimed defensive lineman Travian Robertson on waivers from the Seahawks. Why bother claiming Robertson, a 2012 seventh-round pick of the Falcons? He’ll likely end up being inactive today since he hasn’t practiced with the team. But since he’s on their 53-man roster they will retain his rights for 2015 and they will be able to take a look at him in the offseason program and in training camp.
2. We can close the book on Hatcher’s 2014 season and it was about what should have been expected. No, not the expectations set when he signed a four-year, $27 million contract with $10.5 million guaranteed last March. But his performance was similar to those he has put up since becoming a regular starter in Dallas in 2011. He had 4.5 and 4.0 sacks in 2011 and 2012 before putting up 5.5 this year. Hatcher’s 11-sack 2013 season was the outlier and that happened to be his contract year. There was every reason to believe that 2013 was the exception for a player in his early 30’s. So the Redskins got the player they should have thought they were getting. But they paid an older player based on one exceptional season and got burned for it.
3. If today’s Redskins-Cowboys game isn’t holding your interest in the late going you might want to stay tuned to see Alfred Morris possibly make history. If he gains 81 yards rushing he will become just the 13th player in NFL history to rush for 4,000 yards or more in his first three years in the league.
Out: The Redskins’ offseason will get underway at about four this afternoon. I would not look for any major changes to be made immediately. As I noted yesterday, I think the chances are that Jim Haslett won’t be back in 2015 (although that’s far from certain). But don’t look for anything to happen immediately. Bruce Allen and Jay Gruden likely will talk about it for a day or two before making any decisions on letting coaches go.
—Today’s schedule: Walkthrough at Redskins Park, no availability
—Days until: 2015 NFL Draft 123; 2015 NFL season opening Sunday 259
If you have any questions about what’s going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. I’ll answer all questions as soon as I can get to them. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins announce Lichtensteiger, Hall to injured reserve, two players signed
- Redskins move Kory Lichtensteiger to IR, make add at center, per report
- With DeAngelo Hall done for the year, Redskins try out former Gators safety
- Redskins' Cousins passing more often and more effectively on first down
- Number Crunch - Redskins offense looks poised for a breakout
- Center depth issues not new for Redskins - even with attempts to improve
- Kouandjio likely to start at left guard for Redskins on Sunday
- Need to Know: Final thoughts on Redskins vs. Giants—Is the Cousins of 2015 back yet?
- Gruden presser wrapup: Even he's not sure what a catch is
- Why all options are on the table for Redskins' offensive line