Dec 26, 2014, 6:04 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, December 26, two days before the Washington Redskins host the Dallas Cowboys.
Three and out—More turnover coming?
1. It’s quite possible that Santana Moss will be playing in his last NFL game on Sunday. If it is his last game he has decided that he doesn’t want any fanfare. “When I leave this game, there’s not going to be a press conference,” he told Michael Phillips of the Richmond Times-Dispatch. “I’ll probably be somewhere at home and you’ll find out I’m gone.”
2. On Wednesday, rookie wide receiver Ryan Grant was participating in the second to the last practice of the season. The receivers were running patterns against one on one coverage from defensive backs. Grant was running his patterns hard, cutting sharply and using good technique. Looking at him, you would have thought you were looking at a starting receiver practicing for the playoffs. We will see how much of a role he has next year but he is determined to finish this year as best he can.
3. Pierre Garçon will end up being the team’s leading receiver for the second straight year but he won’t lead them in receiving yards as he has the last two season. DeSean Jackson has 12 fewer catches than Garçon but has almost 400 more yards than him. Garçon still has two years left on the free agent contract he signed in 2012. The chatter that he might not be back next year due to his $9.7 million salary cap number does not seems to be serious right now but then again who stays and goes won’t be discussed seriously at Redskins Park until Monday.
Out: The Redskins currently have 19 players on the roster who were not with the organization (active roster, practice squad or injured reserve) when Mike Shanahan was fired last December 30. That’s a turnover rate of about 38 percent, on the high side but not as dramatic as one might expect from a team that went 3-13 and changed coaches. It would not be surprising to see a turnover rate just as high or perhaps higher by the time we get to the start of the 2015 season. It’s not realistic to expect the same bunch of players to produce dramatically different results.
—Today’s schedule: Practice 11:10; Jay Gruden news conference and player availability after practice approx. 12:30
—Days until: Cowboys @ Redskins 2; 2015 NFL Draft 125; 2015 NFL season opening Sunday 261
If you have any questions about what’s going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. I’ll answer all questions as soon as I can get to them. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins preparing for Browns - without Josh Doctson
- Gruden: Redskins still sorting out offensive line changes
- Week 4 Redskins injury report: Three starters out of practice
- New RedskinsTalk Podcast - Injury trouble emerges after Giant win
- Redskins Playbook: Lots of moving parts with injuries on O-line, secondary
- Redskins forced to shuffle interior O-line again
- Redskins Hopkins named NFC special teams player of the week
- The Sports Junkies on Odell Beckham Jr.: 'He's a wreck'
- Redskins Stat Breakdown: Washington runs its way to victory
- Need to Know: First thoughts on Redskins vs. Browns—Too obvious to be a trap