Dec 25, 2014, 6:08 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Christmas Day, Thursday, December 25, three days before the Washington Redskins host the Dallas Cowboys.
Three and out—How serious is Griffin’s injury?
1. I don’t think that the shoulder injury to Robert Griffin III is very serious. He seemed to be throwing fine during the open part of practice yesterday. And that he was throwing at all was a good sign. I don’t think that they would have allowed him to throw if they were highly concerned about it. To be sure, you can’t completely ignore an injury to the throwing shoulder of a quarterback so we’ll have to see how this plays out on Friday. Griffin will go to get treatment this morning but no news will come out until tomorrow.
2. If it turns out that Griffin can’t go Kirk Cousins would start. Since there is not time to bring in another QB, I assume that Griffin would be the backup if Cousins starts. He would just hand off if his arm won’t let him throw.
3. There is more and more buzz about the possibility of A. J. Smith stepping up from his current role as a consultant into the general manager role. Sonny Jurgensen said that such a move is under consideration and it may be a matter of convincing Smith to move from the west coast to Ashburn. He has been more visible around Redskins Park lately, coming out to practice every day and watching the position groups more closely. Smith had his hits and misses while GM of the Chargers; my quick impression (with more to come at a later date if this heats up) is that he’d be an improvement over Bruce Allen but not the ideal candidate.
Out: Merry Christmas everyone!
—Today’s schedule: No availability, off day
—Days until: Cowboys @ Redskins 3; 2015 NFL Draft 126; 2015 NFL season opening Sunday 262
If you have any questions about what’s going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. I’ll answer all questions as soon as I can get to them. And I’m always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
In case you missed it
- ‘It’s a huge thing for me’
- Robert Griffin III limited at Redskins practice with shoulder injury
- Kerrigan ‘disappointed’ by Pro Bowl snub
- Redskins draft prospect watch: Hawaii Bowl
- Redskins draft prospect watch: Bahamas Bowl
- Pro Bowler Trent Wiliams’ status for Sunday is TBD
- Where are we? State of the Redskins, Week 17
- Redskins’ Clark takes a jab at London Fletcher
Follow Us On Twitter
- Need to Know: Final thoughts on Redskins vs. Giants—Is the Cousins of 2015 back yet?
- Gruden presser wrapup: Even he's not sure what a catch is
- Why all options are on the table for Redskins' offensive line
- With injuries at cornerback, Fuller is the next man up for the Redskins
- Will DeAngelo Hall return to the Redskins in 2017?
- A lucky win for the Redskins? Or were Giants lucky to be in it?
- Need to Know: Redskins 29, Giants 27 by the numbers
- MRI reveals Redskins' DeAngelo Hall has completely torn ACL
- Su'a Cravens channels Chappelle Show in perfect postgame tweet after Redskins win
- Jamison Crowder drops Giants special-teamer with obscene juke